News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Contest Suggestion and Discussion Thread 2014

Started by Narric, February 11, 2013, 06:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Select up to 4

Walkers Only Contest (Warmachine Jacks, Hordes Beasts, and 40k walkers?)
Custom Posed Single Miniature
Functional/Camo Paintscheme Function vs Heraldry/Faction Colours Paintscheme
Poorhammer
Music
Warlord Bodyguard/Retinue
Forgeworld/Game Expansion Miniatures
Wargaming video
Wargame Meme Contest
Create a Meme
2S Logo Decoration contest
Smiley Contest
House Rules (Create a Character? Redo an Existing Unit? Something new?)
Diorama
Scenario
Armies on Parade
Props
Artwork

Narric

Do you think there is an aspect of the wargaming hobby that hasn't yet recieved a champion? Do you have a something that spans multiple contests, but don't want to waste the entry on something over-simplyfied?

Well get you fingers to the keyboard and write here your suggestions for any and all contests you can think of (within reason please ;))

I'll finish by saying, that there are no dumb ideas, everyone can have a go and suggest something unique.

Current Suggestions:
- Diorama
- Custom Posed Single Miniature
- Function vs Fluff Paintscheme
- House Rules
- Scenario Contest
- Poorhammer
- Music
- Create-a-Character (Rules)
- Create-a-Character (Models)
- Armies on Parade
- Warlord Bodyguard/Retinue
- Forgeworld
- Wargaming video
- Wargame Meme Contest
- Scavenger Contest

The Man They Call Jayne

Some Diorama type contests might be good. Or for a model posed in a completly custom and interesting way similar to the well known "Dynamic Entry" Tau battlesuit, or the "Totally worth it!" Plasma Rifle Space Marine. Might be tricky to do without the skills but there is no reason not to try it.

Some kind of special paint job contest maybe? Like a stealth unit that is see through or something. Paint jobs that are funtional rather than fluffy is that makes sense.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Added to a new list I just started :P

Mabbz

Well, I mentioned them in another thread but I'll suggest again for those of us who can't paint well.

- house rules contest (special characters, new units, terrain etc.)
- scenario contest (who can write the best missions?)

Minrat

I was always a fan of the poorhammer contests....

And as there have been (will be?) writing contests and a small number of art contests (mostly in the form of creating the award images) is there the possibility of a music contest?  (compose or perform [or both] a piece relevant to either the hobby or the lore of your chosen system).  I of course suggest this because I am very interested in music and find it an underappreciated artform in terms of contests.

Narric

A music contest?

That would be interesting to run :D

Minrat

I have no artistic ability in terms of VA or writing-music is where i shine.  Unfortunately this is a rarer thing and as such there arent many competitions for it...

I thought i would suggest it in the off chance (i want some of those 2s dice-and hey-if i can get some stuff heard then i might be on my way to making a living)

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

I'd definitely be in for a music contest :D

Also, i think a create a character competition with a model included could be interesting too. Or perhaps two results (best rules and best character model?) Obviously character model would be fairly converted, so perhaps a conversion competition would suit it better?

Also on the topic of conversion contests, I think if they are to be done, the vehicles should be split up from the non-vehicles. That way we get the cool posed infantry facing similar foes, rather than everyone voting for the orkiest vehicles over such infantry :P
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Narric

Quote from: Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus on February 12, 2013, 10:00:04 AM
I'd definitely be in for a music contest :D

Also, i think a create a character competition with a model included could be interesting too. Or perhaps two results (best rules and best character model?) Obviously character model would be fairly converted, so perhaps a conversion competition would suit it better?

Also on the topic of conversion contests, I think if they are to be done, the vehicles should be split up from the non-vehicles. That way we get the cool posed infantry facing similar foes, rather than everyone voting for the orkiest vehicles over such infantry :P
Maybe it could be broken into two parts, as you said. Part 1 is the rules, then Part 2 people can make models to represent the Rules. We could even say that multiple people could make the same character :P

And I agree with the Conversion Contest rules idea.

Osiris

Why not a writing contest? Fluff or otherwise? Could be interesting to see some of the submissions.  ;D
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Narric

We have a main writing contest already planned. Its currently set to July-August right now, so you have plenty of time to prepare a piece for it.

Rarity Declis

An Army on Parade contest?

Best HQ bodyguard? (Hive Guard, Command Squad, etc)

Best Forgeworld?

Best Warhammer-related video?

Rarity Declis

Create a Meme! (Similar to the Success Marine meme going around on Bolter and Chainsword)

Narric

I like those. They'd probably need a bit more time (Army on Parade), so maybe that can be for around Xmas?

I'd like to rename "HQ Bodyguard" to "Warlord Bodyguard" if thats ok ;)

Not sure how a WH-video contest would work :P Maybe a simple vote on theForum, along with highest Views/Likes on YT?

Rarity Declis

Amused you're asking for my permission and such, Narric. i just say stuff and it's up to you to keep or toss what you like or dislike or change or whatever; you're the poor git who has to run it. :D