News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Deadzone

Started by silverfuge, December 15, 2013, 10:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfuge

I had my intro yesterday of Deadzone. The game tries to be like Necromunda but unlike the other mantic games that started out as faxsmilies of games workshop they seem to have put some thought and effort into making sure the same claim cannot be levled here, The game runs of a D8 system which is straight away unique for mantic. We played enforcers (think arbites) against plague (think res evil/ nemesis). The game was very quick as we palyed on a 1x1 board which was heavy populated with terrain giving it a city of death feel. Each player takes either 1 long action or 2 short actions (a lil dnd 4th ed) and you dont activate all your players making you think strategy . I lost on the very last turn of the game but had fun doing so. I have the full box set which I will crack open and I have the rebel faction as well if I dont decide to sell it. I would personally recommend this game if you can get a set before christmas.   
Gm is God

Narric

I've watched the Kickstarter updates and their Blog about this. The models do look bloody fantastic, but I've yet to even glance over the rules (unlike Warpath and KoW, its not free to download afaik). I've never played Necromunda, so I don't have that as reference. What about comparing to DnD or Rogue Trader (40k 1st ed)?

1'x1' board? Bloody hell! I can't imagine playing a wargame on a board that small ^_^;; I guess its good for people without much space, and is probably good for transport reason also.

Good to hear the gameplay is fun. When I have the spare funds, I'll have to consider it ^_^

silverfuge

The 1*1 is only an intro set i got free but the main game is 2*2 however easily enough terrain to cover a 4*4. Its a little like 4th ed and with the minor and standard action. The full game should be more expansive than the intro i played but since i will be running that down at my club i thought i should learn that before i get hooked on m.bison orks lol.
Gm is God

Tom

Thanks for giving us your take on Deadzone silverfuge, I've been interested by it but hadn't found the time to hunt down a review or find out more about the gameplay. I'm not sure I'm convinced I like the miniatures for it though. How easy do you think it would be to play with 40k minis? Would Tyranids translate to plague OK? I guess that might work but I guess Space marines as enforcers might not.

silverfuge

Fairly easy. If you don't mind converting. Enforcers work easy as either sm or arbites. Marauders are orks so enough said. Mercs are harder. Plague stage 1 easy for a broodlord stage 2 is the problem but stage 3 and dogs easy if you got cultists. The minis are better painted. I wasn't too impressed but when my mate painted them they looked like different minis. They go quite nice into a 40k army
Gm is God

Hive Lord

I got my Deadzone kickstarter package in the post a couple of days ago!

We played a couple of trial games yesterday, and my initial thoughts are positive. I don't have a lot of time these days to build up an army or play games, so it's great to have something of this scale where I've only got a dozen or so models. The games are claimed to take an hour, but took us much longer - mostly due to trying to learn the rules, admittedly, but even the second game was probably about three hours.

My thoughts:

• The modular scenery is fantastic and makes creating an awesome game board really easy, and means you can set it up completely differently each time. It was a little tricky to deconstruct and we ended up snapping a few of the joins, but that was probably just us being impatient. Movement and shooting are based on the grid of the playing mat, which means there's no tricky measuring involved, and climbing/descending is all done on a 'cube' basis, making the third dimension of play really easy to use.
  • The models are great - really detailed and very dynamic poses. They're not particularly pose-able, but since you're only playing with a small number of models, it's less important - the models are pretty much all different anyway.
  • The games had a lot of counters everywhere, but you get used to it. You get a deck of Battle Cards which adds an extra element to it - these give you an extra dice or an extra action, and can be very useful.
  • The players' missions are kept secret from each other, which can make things interesting - you never know when the other player is about to win! This was confusing to start with, though, as you're not really sure of the best plan of action
  • There were campaign rules, which add a bit more to the RPG element (experience gaining etc.), but haven't had the chance to look at these properly yet.

Few pictures:

This wasn't using all of the scenery - still a load more in the box.
It's a rubber playing mat, although they provided a paper one as well.

We ordered six factions, four of which had arrived.

These were:
-Enforcers (as silverfuge mentions, very Arbites-esque)
-Plague (essentially Genestealer cult - different stages of infection, with only the lower stages able to use weapons)
-Marauders (Orks)
-Rebs (Ragtag assortment of different races)

Still to come are the Forge Fathers (Space dwarves) and Asterian (Eldar/Tau).

I'm getting the Rebs and Asterian - will start a project log to keep everyone updated!

silverfuge

Thanks Hive lord, nice to someone who can articulate my thoughts better tha me lol
Gm is God