News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Narrics' Dungeon Crawler RP - [OOC & Discussion Thread]

Started by Narric, August 01, 2013, 11:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

OH wow, I fucked up my math there didn't I? XD

Uhm, yeah Str14 = D12+2 or Strike! :shifty:

I hadn't considered dual-weilding. Double daggers was in case one was knocked out your hand.
Would a re-roll for strike! seem fair? I will be stating enemy Def before your posts, so you will know if your attacks have worked.

Mabbz

That makes a bit more sense, but I can't help wondering why D12s are appropriate dice while D14s aren't.

A re-roll for dual wielding makes sense to me.

Narric

Should be careful with doors, you don't know whats on the other side :P

So you guys know, I will never write a hostile NPC to cause damage to you without you having a chance to attack first. They'll give you an intimidating threat, as you can see, but they won't be ID'ing you anytime in future ;)

And make sure you read the Roll Box :P

Mabbz

So, for my dexterity of 16, what is my strike! for ranged attacks? D12+4? Or D16? Something else? I'm sorry, I'm still somewhat confused ???.

Railgun Convention

Probably D12+4, as I don't think there is a usual D16. Which is better, by the way as the range is 5-16 instead of 1-16.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

The Man They Call Jayne

Standard dice are d4 d6 d10 d12 and d20. Round down and add a modifier for the excess.

Although for somethings it might be wiser to use 2 of a lower dice in order to get more consistent results. 2d6 instead of d12 for example. Low rolls will still happen, but critical failures and successes are less likely, while average performance is kept up, as should be expected for a team of seasoned adventurers. Your +2 bonus will simply show that you are in excellent condition, or very skilled so your average will be higher.

Narric

Horray for having seasoned players in this RP :P

Yeah, d12 difference to stat was intended, sorry for lack of clarity ^_^;;

If you want to roll multiple dice, like 2d6, go ahead, but I must ask you be consistant, and stick with only one type of roll. Less chance of me getting confused :P

Having said that, it seems IC actually has algorithms in place for unique dice:
- d16
- d5
- d19

but please K.I.S.S :P

The Man They Call Jayne

I will be rolling 2d6 for strength and 1d6 for damage rolls then. Assuming no modifiers that is. My wisdom rolls and intelligence will be 2d6+2.

Although im not sure why we don't just roll everything against a set dice and aim for lower.

I think im just confusing myself now though :P

Narric

Lets see if I can explain my thinking :P

Lets do Strike! as thats going to be the most common.

Enemies as you know have a set Def, which is how well they can defend themselves. You rolling above it shows that you have bypassed their lesser abilities. A Melee attack is successful through brute power (Str), Range is successful through precise control of your aim (Dex), and Magic is successful through understanding the spell under presure (Wis).

Range and Magic also so of  have to hit a potentially moving target. Maybe that is something to consider further down into this dungeon :P ;)

Does that make sense?

The Man They Call Jayne

Right, gotcha, I was reading something wrong. My bad.

So yeah, 2d6 for Strike and 1d6 for Melee damage.

Oh, how many attacks does Salvo of Stones use up? Or can I literally just keep casting it for free?

Narric

Magic of any kind take up one Attack/Spell "counter." You get d4+1 of these per post.

I did say in the section on Magic :P
Currently only the "Rock Servant" spell needs more than a single counter (four, becuase c'mon, you're creating a Golem on the fly :P), but as you haven't LVL'd up yet, I haven't had to think of any new spells.

Mabbz

I have no problem with your reasoning. My only issue was what dice to use :P. I'm working on the assumption that Jayne was right about standard dice.

The Man They Call Jayne

I missed out d8, but other than that those are the only dice I have in my D&D set :P

I am looking forward to rocking up with a Golem. He shall be named Detente. Or DT for short.

Railgun Convention

So how many crashes have I survived now?