News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Planeswalker Libraries [Magic, the Gathering]

Started by Narric, March 14, 2014, 02:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

You've gone a very different way with you Kiora Deck than I have. Interesting to see. I have gone rather top heavy and based my deck around Quest for Ulas Temple and Clock Spinning to get out some seriously big beasties for free in every end phase.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

The one game I've played it with, I got Kiora out fairly early, and soon managed to use her ultimate with two Loyalty counters remaining. MY Wife was not so happy about her few creatures regularly being made useless. Kinda wish Kiora's ability could target my own creatures, but oh well :P

[Edit]
Had a good bit of luck yesterday with some Boosters. got myself the Theros God, Mogis. Not sure if I will make a deck around hime, as I currently have potentially too many builds ready to use.

Narric

[Really wishing this thread got more love :P]

A group I'm a part of had a small Meetup and I had a good number of games today. I played mainly against the same opponent, but he and I both had multiple decks to throw at eachother, so a good variety of styles and libraries to face.

Learnt that most of my decks are midgame effective, which meant Iwas regularly taking heavy life loss to my opponents Red/Black deck which focused getting lots of one-drop mana creatures out.

I think I need to restructure my decks, partle to account for the weaknesses I've seen, but also to reduce the active number of decks I have. I keep seeming to forget this lesson :P
Control and Detain is still a pretty fun tactic.

Duel Anecdote
- Was playing my Kiora deck with Kiora out fairly early on. My opponent was steadily gathering a good number of creatures on the field, and I still only had four land out. I used Kiora's -1, and drew my Second Kiora (I have the Born of the Gods and Duel Decks). First Kiora was killed, and in my following turn i summoned the second, who went on to use her Ultimate.

Funnies
Using my Kiora again, I had played Nessian Asp, and summoned and equipped Fleatfeather Sandals to it. So I had a creature with Reach and Flying :P

Another game, same deck, I had Nessian Asp out with Perplexing Chimera, and kept using the enchantment Aura "Stratos Walk" to primarily draw a card, but the imagery of Nessian Asp regularly starting to fly to then suddenly drop down to the ground, and still be combat effective was highly enteraining.

Third game I had got out Godhunter Octopus out, but my opponent didn't have any Enchantments or Enchanted Permanents. that is until they played Pacifism on Godhunter Octopus. So my opponent basically activated GO to be able to attack, whilst simultaneously preventing them from attacking. It would have been spectactular, had they done it on purpose.

The Man They Call Jayne

I am currently look at building a deck based on Avatar of Woe and Thornbite Staff. Allows me to wipe the field any time I choose. Combined with Blood Artist and God Favoured General, it has MASSIVE abuse potential.

Masked Thespian

Quote from: Narric on May 28, 2015, 10:02:36 PM
[Really wishing this thread got more love :P]

It's pretty much just the three of us posting and it's been quiet for me (went on my Honeymoon at the end of April).

Quote from: Narric on May 28, 2015, 10:02:36 PMLearnt that most of my decks are midgame effective, which meant Iwas regularly taking heavy life loss to my opponents Red/Black deck which focused getting lots of one-drop mana creatures out.

Cool.  Generally, the rule of thumb is that Aggro beats Control, Midrange beats Aggro, Combo beats Midrange, and Control beats Combo.  This is a very basic idea of it, but it generally holds true.

Quote from: Narric on May 28, 2015, 10:02:36 PMI think I need to restructure my decks, partle to account for the weaknesses I've seen, but also to reduce the active number of decks I have. I keep seeming to forget this lesson :P

That can be a problem.  Especially as the more decks you have the less you play with each of them individually which makes you less experienced in using each of them.

Quote from: Narric on May 28, 2015, 10:02:36 PM- Was playing my Kiora deck with Kiora out fairly early on. My opponent was steadily gathering a good number of creatures on the field, and I still only had four land out. I used Kiora's -1, and drew my Second Kiora (I have the Born of the Gods and Duel Decks). First Kiora was killed, and in my following turn i summoned the second, who went on to use her Ultimate.

Sweet!  Usually people scoop (concede) when their opponent is about to ultimate.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on June 01, 2015, 06:46:02 AM
I am currently look at building a deck based on Avatar of Woe and Thornbite Staff. Allows me to wipe the field any time I choose. Combined with Blood Artist and God Favoured General, it has MASSIVE abuse potential.

Wouldn't it be easier with smaller, cheaper creatures that have Deathtouch?    Heck, why not use Bitterheart Witch or Vampire Nighthawk, both of whom are Shamans with Deathtouch which means that the Thornbite Staff will attach itself to either of them for free.

=========

As for me, today I got home from Grand Prix Chiba, one of three simultaneous Grands Prix across the world to celebrate the release last weekend of Modern Masters 2015.  In addition to Chiba, Japan, there were also Grands Prix held in Las Vegas, USA, and Utrecht, The Netherlands.  Chiba set a record for selling out to its limit of 4000 attendees in under 10 hours whilst Vegas set a record for the largest number of Magic players in a single tournament (somewhere around 7,500, I think).  I'm sure there were other records broken as we set out to #MakeMagicHistory.  SORCK!  Why don't hashtags work here?   :P

I did well to begin with, winning my first two rounds.  I almost messed things up though: with my first action of the first game of the first round of my first big event, I almost gave myself a game loss.  I played an Evolving Wilds and tapped and sacrificed it, then searched my library for a Mountain, showed it to my opponent and said the Japanese word for "Mountain", then promptly put it face down in my hand.  I immediately raised my hand and yelled out "JUDGE!" (as you're supposed to do if there's a problem or a mistake).  The problem here is that I took a card from my deck and put it in my hand.  At casual REL, which your local game store plays at, that's not too big of a problem, but GPs are played under Competitive REL, which is much stricter.  It would have been a game loss had I not remembered that I showed it to my opponent before putting it in my hand as it would have been unidentifiable, but thankfully I showed it and said it aloud.  I received a Warning, which does nothing until I do the same thing three times, at which point I get a game loss.  Fortunately, I didn't do it again but it was a very silly thing to do right at the start.

I lost my next three rounds and dropped out, because I'd been going for around 11 hours on only 3.5 hours of sleep, and I'd made a sweet 5-colour control deck that went to time on four out of those five and I was exhausted.  In retrospect, I should have stayed in because later I really wanted to keep playing Magic.

GP Chiba was hit by a magnitude 8.5 earthquake at around 8.30pm on the Saturday evening.  It lasted for a short time but the ground continued to roll for at least 5 minutes.  The Japanese players were so used to earthquakes that they had to be explicitly instructed to stop playing.

Overall I had a great time.  If you get the chance to visit a GP, even if you don't play in it, I heartily recommend it.

Oh, and if you didn't see it on the live stream, you guys might want to check this out.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

The Man They Call Jayne

Avatar doesn't have to attack to make the kill, and with Grand Abolisher on my field, me using the abilities can't be countered.

Gratz on the honeymoon though :D

Masked Thespian

Ah, I forgot the tap part.  That's fair.  There are also a number of artifacts and enchantments that grant such a tap ability, but at that point I'd be trying to make it a three card combo.

Still, with one of the two cards of the two card combo being Avatar of Woe, it's still going to be tricky to pull off.

And, thank you   :)
Regards,
MT.

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

The Man They Call Jayne

Well right now I am going with Skyship Weatherlight to allow me to get the staffs and some avatars out.

Then putting a staff on Avatar of Woe, Ballynock Trapper, God Favoured General and Servant of Tymeret. In principle, Avatar and any of the other 3 can make this work in a variety of different way. Got a few Diabolic Tutors to increase my chances of getting what I need.

Masked Thespian

Weatherlight seems too easy to disrupt.  One Shatter or other artifact destruction spell and those cards you tutored for are gone forever.  Plus, you're not really saying how you're casting Avatar of Woe.  Are you honestly just planning on getting up to 8 mana?
Regards,
MT.

Narric

[Aargh, too much love!!]

With Tarkir, there is a lot of Artifact destruction around, though Fate Forgoten is two mana more tan Revoke Existance, yet does exact same thing :P Considering Theros Block is still in standard, why would you use Fate Forgoten?

I tend to not plan for getting further than six mana. By that pointhe game is either decided already or you're too evenly matched for the round. Heck, most of my Legendaries are only four mana iirc.

Masked Thespian

Remember that cards exist for a number of reasons.  Not all cards are made for you.  And sometimes there are things you don't see.  In this case, both Fate Forgotten and Revoke Existence exist as safety nets in both Limited and Standard in case artifacts or enchantments get too powerful.  In Limited, especially, they're so important that pretty much every set has at least one artifact removal spell and at least one enchantment removal spell (sometimes doubling up).  Also, you've missed that whilst Fate Forgotten costs one more mana than Revoke Existence, it's an Instant as opposed to a Sorcery.  Finally, there's a chance that this is intentional design that will only become clear once Theros Block rotates out, making cards in Khans block worth different values in Standard than they were before.

Also,

Quote from: Masked Thespian on June 01, 2015, 02:54:34 PM
Oh, and if you didn't see it on the live stream, you guys might want to check this out.

Didn't either of you check this link out?
Regards,
MT.

Narric

The Man They Call Jayne

I tend to play in multiplayer games, usually 4-6 people. So they go on longer and having lots of mana is far from uncommon. Also means that there are more things going to the graveyard anyway, so getting the cheaper cost is easier.

And nice game there. Nicely done.

Looks like a fun little mini game.

Masked Thespian

Mini-Masters is a fun way to open new boosters.  You open the booster, remove the token/ad card, then without looking at any of the cards shuffle them into a set of 3 of each Basic Land (you can sleeve the cards upside down first if you want to protect them).  Then, play a game against your opponent who's done the same with the added rule that neither of you can lose the game by drawing from an empty library.

Truthfully, the game there was an excuse for him to interview me, a setting so to speak.

I've had some people contact me asking for more information and suggesting an AMA (Ask Me Anything, essentially an interview via Reddit) so I'm thinking of setting one up.  I wouldn't have thought that anyone would have been interested in me and my story but apparently there are.  I'm just happy to have been on the GP coverage   ;D
Regards,
MT.

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, my prototype Avatar of Woe deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/get-away-from-me/

Currently named the FYA (Fire) deck, or the Fuck You All.