News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Hello all!

Started by AphoticBass, November 09, 2015, 05:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AphoticBass

Hi, I just started getting into warhammer, decided to start building a tau army after doing a bit of reading on their philosophy, and also the units look cool as all hell!

Just bought a codex and a fire warriors box. Made half of the box a striker team, and the other half a breacher team.

Hoping to give playing a go soon!

Narric

Hello AphoticBass

Nice to have a new face around :3

When you have a chance, please take some time to become familiar with our Forum Rules.

What kind of army build are you planning on for your Tau army? If you have a camera it would be cool to see your Fire Warriors.

Hope you have a good time here on the forum. There is plenty of people with years of experience here. ;)

Mabbz

Welcome to the forum. I used to play Tau, before switching over to Guard and Mechanicus; I still have all my models, although I'm a couple of codexes out of date on the rules (for example, I don't know what striker or breacher teams are). If you find yourself with enough free time to write them, I'd love to read your thoughts on the new codex. Maybe I should consider switching back to them...?

AphoticBass

I'm still very new to the whole universe so I have no idea what some stuff means.

Does army build mean the cadre? I'm just starting to read through the codex so I will be able to tell you what all the stuff means hopefully towards the end of the week if I don't get swamped by schoolwork.

I believe that the striker team is kind of like the pathfinders or what the old firewarriors were traditionally like with engaging at longer ranges, and the breacher team is now the Tau's answer for close-er engagements with their weapons being able to hit out only to 6".

I have only built the shas'ui and 4 other (striker) firewarriors along with 2 gun drones and a smart missile launcher. Apologize in advance for the potato quality picture. http://imgur.com/t1ynEXO

They are currently unpainted, but when I have some time I will be painting them in the Vior'la colour scheme.

PS. I will also be going to GW this thursday to hopefully participate in my first fight as its only a 200 point game and i can theoretically yield 180 points with a team of striker fire warriors with a shas'ui, drone support and a missile system and a breacher team with a shas'ui (5 figures in each team). Any advice?

Mabbz

Quote from: AphoticBass on November 09, 2015, 05:14:30 PM
I'm still very new to the whole universe so I have no idea what some stuff means.
Well, if you have questions don't hesitate to ask :)

Does army build mean the cadre? I'm just starting to read through the codex so I will be able to tell you what all the stuff means hopefully towards the end of the week if I don't get swamped by schoolwork.
By army build, he means what units you're planning to use in your games. Some people like to post their army lists here.

I believe that the striker team is kind of like the pathfinders or what the old firewarriors were traditionally like with engaging at longer ranges, and the breacher team is now the Tau's answer for close-er engagements with their weapons being able to hit out only to 6".

I have only built the shas'ui and 4 other (striker) firewarriors along with 2 gun drones and a smart missile launcher. Apologize in advance for the potato quality picture. http://imgur.com/t1ynEXO
Interesting. 6" seems very short, do they have melta weapons or something (Actually I should probably move this side of the discussion to it's own thread, since I might wind up asking about the whole codex).

Don't worry about the picture quality, I've seen much worse. And... wait. Fire warriors get turrets now? Awesome. I definitely need to get my hands on the new codex.

They are currently unpainted, but when I have some time I will be painting them in the Vior'la colour scheme.
Well, when they're done post them up! Don't worry if you don't think they're good enough, we can provide tips. Besides, you can't be worse than I was when I started.

PS. I will also be going to GW this thursday to hopefully participate in my first fight as its only a 200 point game and i can theoretically yield 180 points with a team of striker fire warriors with a shas'ui, drone support and a missile system and a breacher team with a shas'ui (5 figures in each team). Any advice?
Without knowing who you'll be up against, all I can say is make good use of terrain or the breachers won't get to fire a single shot. Out of curiosity, wereabouts do you live? 'Cause if you're in Nottingham then you might see me :)

AphoticBass

Well for my army build, I'll likely be slowly building up to a hunter cadre (as far as i understand this is a new codex thing) but for now my local GW hosts a small (200 point) game every thursday so I will likely just be doing those until I can afford some battlesuits. My GW is in Ajax, Ontario so if you're in the area around there you will see me :D

When I get home and have access to my codex I can give you more details about the striker and the breacher teams.

Narric

I look forward to where to take your Tau army :3 Tau was my first all those years ago, and the powerful Pulse Rifle is a staple that should always be used in a Tau list.

Once you have had a good read through of the codex and rulebook, and have also had a few games, pop on over to the Army List board linked by Mabbz, and I'm sure we can help craft a well balanced Tau list alongside you.

And while you're modeling and painting, keep your camera handy, and post your progress in the Project Log board. Unless your pictures are massive, you can use the img code to have the image displayed on the forum fully, like this:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/t1ynEXO.jpg[/img]
Your image is pretty big though, so slot in width=600 to make the picture better without you having to resize it. Like so:
[img width=600]http://i.imgur.com/t1ynEXO.jpg[/img]

To my memory, you're currently the only active member from Canada. Spread our name around, and you'll be able to talk shop with people closer to home easily ;)

BigToof

Welcome AphoticBass!
Good to see new Tau players.  Would love to hear how your games go.
I personally really like the new Codex, but I've been with the previous book for a really long time.

Hope to hear from you more.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3