News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Dealing with Gargantuan creatures

Started by KCKitsune, June 03, 2014, 07:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCKitsune

Question:  How does everyone here deal with Gargantuan creatures?  I'm talking Transcendent C'Tan, Tyranid super bugs, Imperial Super Fortifications.  I was at a tourney and I took a completely Farsight Enclave Codex list and I got curb stomped so badly that I was wanting to rename myself Bitch (term for female dog).  The C'Tan... he, by himself, took out most of my army.  I had 2500 pts and I got stomped BADLY.  I just want to learn how to deal with type of crap.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

CoffeeGrunt

Friends don't let Friends bring the Transcendent. I'm surprised a tournament allowed Superheavies at all...

Snipers and Poison are almost useless against them, and with T9, a 3++ and a shedload of Wounds, you're not going to bring it down quickly. Not to mention that when you do, it explodes and kills everything...
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Mabbz

Did you know that a failed Death or Glory still insta gibs Gargantuan Creatures? Tank shock them and hope they don't know that fact. Also, Trancendant C'tan are the ones with the Strength D flamer, right? My command squad survived a full game by hiding on the top of a three story ruin, which templates can't hit.

Sadly, I don't have much experience of actually killing them. All I can really suggest beyond the few situational tricks above is to shoot everything at them and spread out to avoid losing half your army in one turn.

CoffeeGrunt

Templates now ignore levels, so that ones out of the running. Transcendents can take a lot of different upgrades that vastly change their capabilities. For example, the one that inflicts a Strength D hit on every model they float over...

Kur'os

The Transcendent C'Tan?  Ouch...  Shy of matching it with your own Str D, it'd be an uphill fight regardless of what you use.

I'd suggest Broadside / missile drones.  Either flavor of XV-88 should work, but the HRR would ignore any armor save it has (don't recall ATM)...

-Kur'os

KCKitsune

This C'Tan had both the D template weapon and the barrage weapon... and the upgrade that allows it to shoot both weapons at different targets.  The tourney allowed ALL of the frakkers that I mentioned in the OP.  I felt so dirty that as soon as I lost my third game I packed my crap and left.  I didn't even stay for the after tourney party.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

Waaaghpower

Grav Weapons are ace, if you can get in close enough to make the shot. What's that? You've got T9 3+? My three Grav Centurions will gladly kill you in a turn. (More realistically around 3 wounds in a turn, but meh.)
Barring that, D weapons and Close Combat nasties. Chapter Masters only get S8 but won't die for anything. Wolf Lords are easier to kill by 1/4 but get S10. Assault Terminators. Stuff like that.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

KCKitsune

I was using a Farsight Enclave roster. Completely codex with no allies or detachments.

Deraj

What the hell kind of person brought a superheavy not just to a tourny, but to a 2500 game? The real problem seems to be dealing with pricks, not large models.

That said the only superheavies I've had regular contact with are the brass scorpion and baneblades, neither of which are really that frightening.

KCKitsune

The type of people who bring those kind of models are the type to "Win at ALL costs!"

Trust me, I was HIGHLY annoyed at the very idea.

The Man They Call Jayne

I would probably take a couple of Area Denial Nodes. Not exactly expensive and can pump out SD shots with good accuracy. 4 of then can make a lot of no go areas on the table and shred superheavies and GCs out to 6 feet.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

CoffeeGrunt

Sadly those aren't Tau units.

Pure Farsight Enclaves doesn't fare well in a Superheavy environment, where everything moves fast and shoots hard enough to make it worthless swapping Fire Warriors for Suits anyway...

The Man They Call Jayne

Area Denial Nodes ARE Tau units. 12 12 12 bunker with a TL Hammerhead Railgun on the roof. If 2 or more hit the same target, the shots become SD. They WERE about 110 points each last I saw them. I used to put 3 Broadsides in them and use them to control the lanes of fire and where enemy tanks would dare to go.

Edit: A quick check shows that they now rock in at just over 170 a pop with 6 Structure points. And the Solid Shot goes all the way out to 180.

CoffeeGrunt

Where are you getting this from? I haven't even seen these models before, nor the rules in any of the Tau publications I have...

The Man They Call Jayne

It's an old unit, but it has been updated.

This blog gives you a run down. Post is a few entries down. http://collectingtau.blogspot.co.uk/