News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Traitor Legions and Imperial Agents: Is it enough to bring you back?

Started by BigToof, November 20, 2016, 09:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
New books on the horizon, things that I've been dreaming of for a while.
Traitor legions (with new Thousand Suns on the cover!)
and
Imperial Agents (including Sisters of Battle!)

I'm kind of excited, but the community seems so worn out, I'm not sure if it's enough to breed excitemetn anymore...

So...  Any renewed interest or are we all just waiting for 8th?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

I did notice that the Thousand Sons upgrade kit is about to disappear from the GW website, if they can bring in new plastic kits for them and the Sororitas then it'll certainly be a big step in the right direction.

The main issue for me is that I've picked a certain point (the day before they released 7th ed) and I haven't adopted any rules that were released after that. GW would need something special to encourage me to buy anything new from them besides models that I can use in 6th edition games.

Irisado

The new Thousand Sons (apart from those awful Tzaangors) look incredible.  I would love to make my long delayed Thousand Sons army, but it's still not going to happen.  I cannot afford to buy the models, and I still dislike the current 40K rules intensely.  I am still excited by the models though.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Cammerz

I've just Googled 'New Thousand Sons' to find those pictures, not looking too bad.

I like the new Rubric Marines but I'm surprised by the number fo flamers in that picture, along with what might be an assault cannon, if one of the commenters is correct and they're all AP3 then that is one beastly unit.

The Scarab Occult Terminators aren't quite doing it for me except that one with the fancy back-mounted missile launcher.

Ahriman looks great, the Exalted Sorcerers are pretty nice too and I agree with Irisado on the Tzaangors.

(For those who haven't had a look, here's the link I used; http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/11/40k-new-thousand-sons-releases-spotted.html)

BigToof

Yes, I'm sort of the same feeling at this point.
The rules are just too random and clunky with the big push to very large games with unbalanced formations.
Models can look good, but if the games aren't a big push to the community it's just not going to be a good environment.
40k has a big buy-in for newcomers, and I'm starting to see a lot of apathy in the community.
It's one thing to be frustrated that your army isn't as good as you thought it might have been, but I'm starting to see that a lot of people just don't care anymore.
And that's a loss for everyone.
It's sort of ironic that for years everyone said that they wanted more of X, Y and Z and now that GW provided it (and a lot of other things of... questionable value), it's just too overwhelming.
Not to use myself as a measuring stick, but when you need 7 pages of charts to remind yourself of setup choices that's not a good sign.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Irisado

Indeed, this is the problem.  It was one thing to ask for greater mission diversity, but the extent to which army composition has been changed, the different types of army design out there, the addition of so many new unit types, and the increased complexity in the rules went way beyond what many people were asking for.  The other issue was the quick turnover between sixth and seventh edition, that was the final straw for me.

It is such a shame.  I really do love these Thousand Sons models, and if I were a good painter, I'd save up just to buy them for that reason.  I'm not though and my finances are so tight that I'll just have to hope that others buy them and post pictures of them in action in their battle reports on forums.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Mabbz

Well, as someone who is still active in the hobby (or as active as I can be with no money) I can't say these look that interesting. I wouldn't mind starting a Thousand Sons army, but there's nothing that makes me wish I had the money to spend on them.

The Imperial Agents on the other hand might be. Anyone know any more about them, aside from the fact they have sisters of battle?

Deraj

I've had an iron warriors army for years. I've had an inquisitor warband that's been collecting dust for too long, a grey knight army, and a deathwatch army. So while yes, I'm already playing consistently, let me just say that these books are fantastic. They let me do whatever I want while building an army purely to fluff, rather than for power.

The inquisition book is awesome because it lets you take my 3 favorite grey knight units (dreadknights, terminators, and interceptors), deathwatch core units and their flyer, a master of the fleet (alone, which means I can drop my small IG army,) techseer enginepriests alone, sisters of battle, and it finally gives a physical book for inquisition.

Also I'd like to point out that the legions of chaos book doesn't force you to take formations. If for example I take a warsmith and 2 units of chaos marines, I can just call them Iron warriors (as long as I don't take marks) at which point I get free veteran of the long war and a 6+ fnp. The books are great for giving you options to do whatever you want without forcing you to do anything in return.

BigToof

Thanks for the kind words.
I've been wavering as to whether or not to buy the books myself...
I've been a big Sisters fan, but for some reason Chaos never quite appealed to me.
Love to hear more from you though, as I'm trying to keep myself up to date and motivated :)
Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Deraj

The imperial book feels like it was made for a hobbyist, I couldn't begin to guess how well it plays together. I had a random techpriest sitting on my shelf... now I can use him. Master of the fleet? Check. Jokearo? Yup. That random squad of seraphim I knew I'd never use, but just had to paint? Hell yeah. Throw into that the new deathwatch, who are just so awesome that it's not funny, a healthy topping of grey knight's greatest hits, then let you build an inquisitor's warband? Well... something fun has to come out of it.

Also; try to imagine for a moment running an inquisitor warband in kill team. I don't know if it would work, but I know I'm going to find out.

BigToof

That actually sounds like a great way of using them.
Nothing too broken, but a good way to bring in those odds and ends...
I may have to look into this.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: