News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

2S Tau Empire Codex - 6th Edition Restart

Started by Narric, July 13, 2012, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on September 07, 2012, 03:38:04 PM
Wargamer & Sotek, please read my suggestion again.

I do not give Carbines the Haywire SR, only EMP Grenades, which are a 3pt per model upgrade anyway. So no, its won't be a 190pt unit, it would be a 226pt unit (12 Strong).
This is still markedly less than, say, a fully kitted out unit of Sternguard with meltaguns/combi-meltas and a Rhino, or any of the 5th-edition deathstars you care to name that rolled around smashing vehicles at whim. And yet, potentially/arguably still more effective...

On the subject of opponent priority targets. Anything thats trying to take out your Tau, isn't targetig something else, like your Railhead, or some other uber Tau unit.

This is exactly my point. By taking that unit, you force me to either ignore your Railheads and get blown apart, or ignore your ultra-inexpensive Pathfinders and get blown apart while being unable to risk moving any of my vehicles within their kill bubble.

This is a bad thing. It artificially forces me into a situation where as your opponent, I can't make any good choices and have to spend the entire game reacting to you... because of -one- inexpensive unit.

The only counter I can think of is throwing a sacrificial box at you and hoping you're stupid enough to waste that kind of firepower blowing up a transport or something. And any counter that involves throwing away a unit while also betting on your opponent's incompetence is a bad counter.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, how about a slight alteration. Only the Shas'ui can take the EMP launcher option, but it can be used every turn at the players discretion, instead of using the carbine?

One single EMP grenade up to 12" away.

The whole squad can fire photons though, to cause a single enemy unit to become Blind.

Better?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on September 07, 2012, 05:30:00 PM
Ok, how about a slight alteration. Only the Shas'ui can take the EMP launcher option, but it can be used every turn at the players discretion, instead of using the carbine?

The whole squad can fire photons though, to cause a single enemy unit to become Blind.

Better?

Seeing as my idea is admitantly inbalanced (I conceed to you Wargamer), this does sound good.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Better?
Much better.

Also, given the latest FAQ, Disruption Pods need a price hike. 5pts for Shrouded is completely bloody absurd.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Charistoph

Sorry I'm back tracking a little, but there's a point I need to get across first, and I've been away from the site for a while.

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on September 07, 2012, 04:38:39 AM
"seriously nasty" @BS 2? I know their Carbines are Twin-linked, but come on....

And they can't take Grenades anyway, so Gun Drones WON'T benefit from this.

TL BS 2 usually is better than flat BS 3.  And this is for a Fandex, so we can give them grenades if we so choose.

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on September 07, 2012, 04:38:39 AMSomething else is that we have to pay extra just to be equipped with our Grenades, which ups our current FWs and PFs to a minimum of 14pts and 16pts respectively, before adjusting their cost to reflect the new carbine ability.

We'd be paying a similar price for a marine in not too long.

Last version of the Fandex I have (v450) have the Defensive (Photon) grenades as part of the standard kit for both Fire Warriors and Pathfinders, with EMPs being just a 2 point upgrade.  I don't know how much changed with the latest version, nor how much the next one will, but I think we can all agree that Defensive Grenades will be as much standard kit for both in the next official codex as pulse weaponry is.

So be aware that your pricing may be off.

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on September 07, 2012, 06:34:28 PM

Better?
Much better.

Also, given the latest FAQ, Disruption Pods need a price hike. 5pts for Shrouded is completely bloody absurd.

Considering the base price of the current hull?  The above referenced version shows the DFish at a Chimera's cost, with the D-Pod (with outdated rules) being at 15 points.

Admittedly, it could be 30 on top of the current price, and people would still consider it auto-include.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Carrelio

I don't see why providing the carbine with blind instead of pinning is such a huge problem, when you consider the massive buff that pulse rifles received.  A lot of players don't even see them as a choice (even for taking drones with the unit)... which just seems silly to me.  18 inches, with a blind rule, even on drones seems like a fair trade for losing that 30 inch, or 15 inch rapid fire.