News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

A different game type - Slayer

Started by Arguleon-veq, November 03, 2013, 09:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

Just thought Id put this out there, me and my friends often play a comped version of 40K called the Slayer format, named after a series of 1 day tournaments that used this rules set. We've found it to be a great way to get in quick games, get people back into the game or to try out specific units for your bigger army as it gives the unit an environment where it can be used and not really risk getting blown away turn 1 without doing anything.

Here are the rules;

600 Points

1 HQ
2-6 Troops
0-1 HS OR FA
0-1 Elites

No special/named characters.
No flyers.
No fortifications.

4x4 Table
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

I believe you (or someone else) has posted this before. The thread may have been eaten by server crashes though :P

I say this looks good. Kinda reminds me of the old rules for 40k 40mins.

Would be interesting to have a game under these contraints.

Kur'os

Looks like a pretty straightforward game type.  I agree that it looks very similar to combat patrol / 40k in 40min.  I'll see about giving this one a go this weekend.

Personally, I've always preferred smaller point games as I like the feel of squad/fireteam level engagements.  Large battles are fun, but they're even better if you lead up to them with a series of patrols, ambushes, raids, and assassination attempts.  ;)

-Kur'os

Charistoph

Indeed, it looks similar to my LGS' 40K in 40 Minutes found here:  http://www.empiregamesaz.com/uploads/Main/Empire%20Games%2040k%20in%2040%20minutes.pdf, but a little larger in size and scope.

It's good for quick games as well as introducing people to the game and getting them used to the rules and environment.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

The Man They Call Jayne

It definitely favors armies with good troops, like the Eldar. 200 points on A farseer and a couple of warlocks and 400 points of Guardians/Jetbike Guardians. What else could you possibly need?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Arguleon-veq

Yeah its nice and simple which helps it i think. I dont like the limits on saves/wounds/armour you find in a lot of these smaller game types.

I dont think there are many armies with poor troops anymore really. For a long time I was doing very well in this game type with Space Wolves, 2 Grey Hunter units, Long Fangs, Lone Wolf and Rune Priest. Another friend of mine was doing well [usually second to my first at the tournaments] with Grey Knights; Land Raider, Termie Squad, Strike Squad, Inquisitor.

We havent played it much since the newer books though so we are just getting back into it, I tried this the other day;

Wraithknight;
Farseer on Bike with Mantle,
3 Bikes; Cannon
3 Bikes; Cannon
4 Bikes; Cannon

my mate took Marines;

Libby; Axe, Termie Armour, Storm Shield
10 Tacs; Grav Gun, Multi Melta
5 Scouts; Camo, Snipers
5 Scouts; Camo, Snipers
5 Scouts; Camo, Snipers
Thunderfire Cannon

The Marines beat me pretty handily.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Deraj

At my lgs we've done a few 500 point tournies iirc (for me that meant a unit of 7 chaos marines, a unit of 8, a warsmith, and a hellbrute) and they're really fun to me. I love being able to knock out a game so quickly.

silverfuge

May have to borrow this at my club like a mini tourni. Thanks
Gm is God