News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Nasty Daemon/Chaos Marine Nurgle Combo

Started by Arguleon-veq, July 13, 2012, 10:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

My Chaos are another of my armies that rarely got to see action in 5th, I didnt take the beardiest lists around but I wasnt prepared to give my opponents a massive advantage by using Chaos. Luckily for me I have a load of Plague Marines, who I now think, with some handy allies. Can be pretty great.

Firstly our FnP got better thanks to our toughness of 5. It is much harder to ignore now.

The alliance combo is obviously to do with the tallyman. The problem for him in Daemon armies is that you just cant get enough kills with your Nurgle guys to make the tally really work for you. Now we can through Chaos Marines. I was considering Havoks with MoN[Mark of Nurgle] but they are too expensive for what they do. The obvious choice is Plague Marines but they are short ranged, would they get the kills they needed soon enough for the tally to turn them into true monsters?

To help with this we can always just throw in 2 Flying Lash Princes. They are now far harder to shoot down as they will be flying around. So you simply double lash a unit within short range of your mass of Plague Marines and Bolter/Plasma/Melta them to death out of cover. Within a few turns your Plague Marines should have wracked up the tally.

So your Plague Marines are running around with 3+ FnP, and ignoring saves.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Yeap, noticed that immediately when I saw the 'Allied' Rule and the new FNP rule. A straight jump from 5+ FNP to a 3+ FNP makes for a fun time for my Death Guard if I were even near them to play them. Not to mention that flamers and plasma are the way to go with the Plague Marines to begin with (the former to flame and rake up tallies fast, and the latter is for glancing most vehicle to death).

If you really want to make for a thematic and rather nasty army, you can also take some Predators and Vindicators to supplement your Plague Marines as well. Rhinos still have their merits in a Plague army as well just to keep them mobile.

Chicop76

I know this been out there for a while, but instead of making a new topic out of one that has been out there for a while I thought it best to respond to this since it answers the question and also address what me and my friend have been working on.

My friend has been testing out the tallyman and I have been facing the list a few times now and have made these observations.

With daemons you can take the tallyman and a herald of choice as a HQ. I recommend taking a paladin herald with breath of chaos, the model comes out to be relatively cheap for what it does and within a turn or 2 it can be able to flame units to add to the tally. If you desired you can deep strike him near units and breathe them without using a lot of points and killing half of what he flames. In a daemon parent list you can create 3 guys and if all 3 can flame at least 6 guys each on the initial drop they can rack up an average of 9 tallies. Personally I think you can use these guys a bit differently, but the tally suicide tactic has been effective where I seen 2 usually kill about 7 or more guys when they pop in.

Plague bearers once you get the +3 feel no pain become real hard to kill. You have to take them with your tallyman and I would dare say a full squad of 20 is not a bad ideal. I fought against squads of 15 and either wiped them or get them down to 2-3 guys. A 20 man squad is durable enough to last.

I would say from the Daemons side it would be best to take Plague bearers and Nurgle Heralds. I thought breath of chaos nurgle princes would be a good idea, but they are very expensive and ridiculously expensive if you give them wings. Without wings they are not that hard to kill compared to the other nurgle daemons unless they have wings. Even with wings a roll of a 6 to hit can knock them out of the sky where your heavy weapons can easily kill it off. With all the negatives out there they can rack up kills with breath of chaos and can cause problems to the enemy, but the cost in my opinion is not really worth it if you take 3 and that is half your army in points.

With the Chaos Marine side a cheap lord with the Mark of Nurgle I think would be the way to go. He really doesn't really need weapons since he can potentially wound on 2s and ignore saves. I think with this list the more men you can dish out the better to help with the tallies. If you want him to actually do something besides allowing you to take Nurgle Elite Marines as troops. I guess putting him on a bike would be a really good ideal. By doing so only instant killing weapons can down him. With toughness 5 a strength 10 wraith lord can kill him with one blow, but the bike upgrade stops that. The +4 invulnerable wouldn't be a bad ideal as well. Personally I wouldn't bother with upgrades which can mean 2-3 more daemons.

I would say Plague Marines are a must. The +3 save with a possible +3 feel no pain with the ability to wound on 2s with range or melee that ignores saves is a pain to deal with. In 5th even with the bonuses they was not a big problem, but in 6th they are a game changer which cause a tie with one of my games cause they turned out to be almost unkillable killing anything in their way. I would say take two flamers and not worry about power weapons. Once they get to a point where the flamer can wound on 2s the tallies will rack up. Heck your breath of Chaos attacks are devastating once you can wound on 2s. Rapid fire wounding on 2s becomes devastating.

Now that Obits can take the mark of nurgle I would say this is a must. First you need anti-tank, but also these guys can easily add tallies with long range fire. 18 potential auto cannon or 9 plasma blast can easily get you let

The Man They Call Jayne

"Now that Obits can take the mark of nurgle I would say this is a must. First you need anti-tank, but also these guys can easily add tallies with long range fire. 18 potential auto cannon or 9 plasma blast can easily get you let
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Chicop76

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 03, 2012, 07:26:12 PM
"Now that Obits can take the mark of nurgle I would say this is a must. First you need anti-tank, but also these guys can easily add tallies with long range fire. 18 potential auto cannon or 9 plasma blast can easily get you let

The Man They Call Jayne

Just had a look and there is no mention of any kind of Autocannon weapon for Oliterators.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Chicop76

Looking at the chaos marine options a bit more I would say having a Nurgle Lord on a bike with the flame/ turrent/ soul blase would be a good option to run. I wonder if the +2 to would would work on the soul blase with the ignore wounds. If so that would be nasty. I would also say Nurgle Bike wouldn't be a bad ideal so the lord can flame away with a body guard of T6 bikers.

Another thought is the Zombies. If they count as followers of Nurgle than that would be boss. For around the cost of a gaunt, and if all the tallies kick in I would have a guy firing a weapon that wounds on 2s and ignore saves and in combat do the same, but with a +3 feel no pain roll. If they count as followers i would say take thes guys over Plague Marines for sure. A 10 Man Plague Marine squad is roughly equal to 40 zombies. Once you hit 10 tallies than they would wreak shop.

DEF Knight

zombies dont have guns, however I think arguing that Nurgle Plague Zombies aren't followers of Nurgle is an absolutely, mind bogglingly stupid one so I can't see there being any issues with anyone fighting you on that. Complaining that it is beardy beyond reasoning, perhaps, but I can't see them convincingly arguing they are not followers of Nurgle.

Waaaghpower

If you use this strategy, make dang sure that you protect your Tallyman. I played a game against this yesterday and totally wiped him out because he didn't defend his Tallyman well enough. I wiped out his Tallyman on turn 2 (Assaulted with bikers and issued a challenge, he melted under a power klaw) and then the rest of his army fell apart.
It would have destroyed me, if his tallyman had survived... But he didn't.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Chicop76

I played against it twice. Once Grey Knights/ Sisters and with Tyranids. Which I tied thw first and lost the second games.

The first game The Tallyman was in a squad of 15 plaguebeares which I nearly wiped out and I eventually killed the tallman. I should had won, but I was sloppy and overconfident and let him tie. I would say he had the following.

Tallyman
Herald
15 bearers
15 bearers
10 nurgle marines
10 nurgle marines
Kugath
Champion of Nurgle

The army earned tallies slow and was losing. I kept Kugath tied up most of the game. I won cause of mobility and out shooting, I mean tied. He came back when he had max tallies. I did finally kill the Tallyman though.

In the next encounter he added bikes, Mon 2 squads of 3 oblits.He droped Kugath and also assed Rhinos.

This change made a huge differance. He was more mobile and had ranged fire power. He actually played a hit and run game which dwindle my army. I came back to late when I finally kelled the Tallyman by sending 1/3 of my army into his 20 plaguesquad.

I would say Bikes and a 20 man plague squad and nurgle Obltis really made a huge differance.