News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Lost in Exploration [RP]

Started by Narric, February 20, 2017, 05:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Elicia returned to the real world, and realised her Mission Commander and the Pilot had seated themselves at the other end of the mess hall table from her. She closed down her laptops, pilling everything together and stood up, straightening her white jacket. leaving the the pile of documents and tech, knowing that no one is the base would would possibly think to pinch any of it, She made her way over to the Commander, and gave him an unpracticed salute.

"Sir, its a pleasure to finally meet you." She spoke flatly, a twinge of nerves in her voice. "I'll be your Astrometrics Officer on the mission." Turning to Father Micheal, she almost gave another salute, but recovered it into a bow with her hands together. "Father Micheal, I believe this is the first time you and I have met as well?"

Bradford stood and returned a polished military salute back to Elicia. "At ease, we're not on mission yet. Join us would you?" He motions a seat beside himself, and waited for her to sit before reseating himself.

"No need for the bow, my child" Father Micheal chuckled softly. "We'll be working together, and formalities can waste time."

"Indeed, which makes me think we best not waste time and get the crew together for formal introductions..." With that, the commander pulls out is pager. After a breif write-up, the trio were surprised to hear the notification tone in themess hall, and turned to see the chief engineer a few tables over, crumpling up a couple papers, and idly tossing them into a waste dispenser on his way over to the table. He gives the commander a salute.

"Sorry, I didn't see you all here." He greets Elicia and Jonathan, and seems to stammer a little as he greets Father Micheal.

"Its alright, Miller." Micheal chuckled again, not expecting two members of the crew to be so careful around those with religious backing.

The approach of another, dressed in a white lab coat, distracted the quartet as Dr Murray waved to the tables' occupiers. Seeing the commander, he saluted with rusty military precision.
"At ease." Bradford responded.
"Dr August Murray at your service." He spoke with a smile.

A Standardised ditty rang out within the vessels' hanger, as Hale and Terwich's pagers informed them the mission commander needed them in the base mess hall.

The Doctor finalised his clipbaord, and secured it within his medical bay, meeting the security officer as they both disembarked the ship. Terwich looked a bit iritated, and was mumbling about how his precautions weren't fully ready.

"Its just introductions. Maybe it will be over quickly, and we can return to our own tasks before take off?" Dr Hale calmingly spoke to Terwich.

"Just don't try entering security unless I give an all clear?" Terwich spoke feeling his nerves ease somewhat from an understanding voice. "So far as I know no one else will be embarking the ship before we leave, so it should be alright."

Once Dr Hale and Officer Terwich arrived and were seated, Bradford stood at the head of the table, and cleared his throat to ensure everybody gave their attention to him, (un)fortunately cutting short a pseudo lecture from Elicia about how language has evolved across the ages on Earth.
"Alright, lets do some basic team building to get to know one another. We'll start with our dedicated Astrometrics officer, and everyone can follow suit." With a nod from Bradford, Elicia stood up and cleared her throat.

"My name is Elicia von Drakoon. I'm a skilled linguist and cartography enthusiast. I'll be the one working towards us avoid any stars, planetary debree or spatial anomalies during our flight on mission. Please don't ask about my family name, its a long, old and boring story to tell for most people."

With that she sat down, and the next person rose to make their introductions.

Cammerz

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you all, my name is Father Michael Quinlan, I'll be steering us on our merry jaunt across the universe. Just know that you're in safe hands, I've been flying for a good long while now and have yet to crash into anything.

Obviously I'm also a priest so if anyone wants to have a chat about anything during our voyage then stop by any time, it doesn't have to be a religious thing, I'm not here to shove Our Lord down anyone's throats".

Mabbz

"My name is Jason Terwich, and I'm the chief of security for this mission. I'm also the only one here with explosives training, so bear that in mind before trying to access restricted sections of the ship." He glanced over at Bradford. "Speaking of which, I was in the middle of securing the security office. May I be excused to finish that? I've already read everyone personnel profiles."

Wargamer

"Hello everyone, I am Dr Hale. I'll be taking care of your medical needs for the journey. I know some people are not keen on us Lunar boys, but rest assured I have no ulterior motives. I'm here for the furthering of medical knowledge and to keep you all fit as a fiddle."
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Waaaghpower

Noah gave Dr Hale a sidelong glance, then raised his hand, waited to be acknowledged, and then stood to speak. "Hello, my comrades in exploration. I am Noah Miller, your chief engineer. I am very much looking forward to this mission, and hope that by my efforts, humanity will be served and our cause furthered."
Once he was done he sat back down, resting his hands in his lap and waiting for everyone else to speak.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Humanatee

After waiting for the others to speak, Gus pulled himself out of his chair and saluted the crowd gathered beside him. "Hello everyone, I'm your science lead for the mission. My name is Dr. August Murray. If you have any questions about the nature of the technology we are testing, feel free to ask me any time." He made no effort to hide his southern accent to the team before him, but he decided to keep his introduction as short as possible.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"Well, we will be couped up together for a while and a person can be quite different to a file which is the reason for this meeting. However, your dedication to your role was a deciding factor in my shortlisting you for this role so while I'd prefer you stay I won't order you to do so if you have things to be getting on with." Bradford replied.

"As you've no doubt figured out, my name is Jonathan Bradford and I'm the commander for this mission. I know all of you have experience with space travel in some capacity so you've an idea of what to expect, but we will all come across things that are new to us over the course of this mission so if there's anything you need, just ask and we'll do what we can. Sorry to say, that doesn't stretch to include lottery wins, I've already tried" he added with an apologetic grin.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Mabbz

Jason had to concede the point, and remained in place to hear the rest of the introductions. As he listened he mentally gave each a score out of ten corresponding to the probablility of them being a threat to the mission (1 being completely safe, 10 being confirmed traitor). None scored below 5, although to be fair only a handful of people on the planet had ever rated a 2 (no-one, not even Jason himself, had ever scored 1).

Once everyone was done, Jason excused himself and headed back to the ship to finish his work. Things to do, traps to set.

Waaaghpower

Watching him go, Noah frowned, speaking once he had left the room. "Where is he off to in such a hurry? Surely the security office can wait a few moment, so that we can get to know each other better than a cursory introduction. He can't think that security can be properly enforced without knowing the people he is meant to secure, can he?"

Pausing, he added to Jonathan, "Not to seem paranoid, but how much control does he have on the ship? I am not certain I am comfortable with someone analyzing my every move from the shadows if they're not willing to have a conversation to my face."

Cammerz

"He does seem to be a troubled young man, I'll see if I can talk to him when we're underway, perhaps he'll settle when we're the only people around him for a few million miles in any direction".
Father Michael smiled at the remaining crew around him,
"So are we all looking forward to venturing further than anyone has gone before?"

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"I wouldn't worry too much, he just takes his job seriously, that's all." Jonathan replied reassuringly. "He's meticulous and knows we're departing soon so he wants to check things over. Under the circumstances I can't say I blame him, I went over everything myself more than normal just to make absolutely sure."
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

"With three days before the launch.." Elicia mused aloud elbows on the table resting her chin on her palm. "Anyone else feel they're rushing a little?" Jonathan's pager lit up and jingled, distracting him from the conversation.

"Well, it uh, doesn't hurt to be careful." Noah shifted in his seat to direct himself to Elicia. "What with the GRW becoming decreasingly silent. If being an engineer taught me anything transferable, its that when something is constantly making noise, the worst fear is when it goes quiet."

"Same can be said about a pulse.." Dr Hale added. Most nodded in response to the two men.

"They can be silent all they want." August shuffled. "Once we're on mission, they will be little concern to us."

"We're gonna have to cut this short." Jonathan suddenly reappeared at the end of the table, a stern look of a man holding grave news. " Collect anything you need quickly, we're launching now!" Punctuating his words, the mess hall lights shut off, plunging the space in darkness, replaced by emergency lights and a droning alarm. Ceiling fixed speakers buzzed into life.

"ALL HANDS, RED ALERT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!" A husky but female voice barked down the speaker system. "SIGMA COLONY HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY AN ICBM ORIGINATING FROM THE GRW. RED ALERT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL. ALL HANDS TO STATIONS. PRIORITY ONE IS MISSION ESCALATION!" The speakers went silent but for a series of clicks, and the message repeated anew, with a metallic ton of a recording.

"You heard the lady, mission escalation! Our timetable has been pulled up!" Jonathan shouted above the repeating announcement. The whole team was on their feet in moments, and following him to the hanger bay falling in line in a military run. Elicia barely managing to hold the three laptops to her chest.

As they entered the hanger, struts and beams moved to connect to structural points on the craft, as part of the accelerator that would launch it from the subterranean base. A series of small containers, each labeled for the crew members, was being hastily loaded into the forward cargo bay by automated armatures.

The crew embarked on the vessel, and a small number of technicians were hightailing off, each saluting the crew as best they could. Jason was standing at the final door onto the ship eyeing everyone who disembarked, but fell in line with the crew once they came level with him. While all the panels inside where in there correct places, some basic tools and note pages were left where they lay. Everyone followed the Commander to the bridge, the pilot taking the helm, with the rest of the crew locking themselves into launch chairs.

Cammerz

Father Michael immediately fell back to his old military protocol, his radio tuned to ground control as he began to initiate the lift-off sequence.

"You'll be wanting to strap yourselves in now, we'll be on a hard burn out of atmo and pushing some fierce Gs, and that's before we rip up the old physics textbook" before he turned his attention back to the voices in his ear as the final rushed pre-launch checks were completed.

Mabbz

Jason quickly strapped himself in, and pulled out a large tablet computer. He hadn't had a chance to ensure it would interface with the ships comms yet, but as he didn't have an important role to play in a spacecraft launch, he began trying to remotely connect to his general security network to try and find out what the situation was. If that didn't work he hoped he'd at least be able to access his shipboard security systems to view the internal sensors. Given the speed they had had to prepare for departure, he was concerned that someone might still be onboard.

Waaaghpower

As they scrambled to the hangar, Noah looked over his shoulder. "I need my bag, I-"

"No time!" Jonathan interrupted.

Noah lingered for a second, looking back towards their quarters for a moment, then shaking his head and turning to follow the group to the launch vessel.

There was nothing for him to do during launch. Even if it was possible to move about the ship while they were facing G forces far beyond what the human body was designed to work against, any technical failure while they were ascending would doom the ship before he would be able to fix it. All he could do was strap into his seat, and then dig his fingers into the arm rests and shut his eyes, whispering something inaudible and hoping that they weren't all about to be blown to oblivion by a faulty engine or an attacking missile.