News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Help needed (Covert Operations)

Started by Mabbz, January 17, 2014, 09:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

Some of you probably know about my house ruled supplement Warhammer 40,000: Covert Operations. If you don't, check it out. In any case, I want to add a number of fluff snippets to it to make it more like an actual supplement and less like 20 pages of nothing but rules. Sadly, I have neither the time nor the creativity to write all that.

Which brings me to the point of this thread. I need people to write some stuff for me. They can be posted in this thread, or you can send me a link if you decide to post them elsewhere for some reason. The rules are as follows:

• Any piece must be no more than two side of A4 (I use size 12, Arial font for the rulebook).
  • There's no minimum size. I would quite like a few quotations to add, and they could be just a few words.
  • Anything you write must be related to stealthy raids in 40k. You don't have to do things from the POV of the commandos sneaking behind enemy lines, the sentries need some stuff too. Writing an Imperial report of a raid could be fun. Go nuts.
  • In order to make it fit neatly into the rulebook, I may have to make some minor edits to anything you post. Sorry. I will try to fit it in without editing, but it may not be possible.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

EDIT: if you want to be credited, just tell me the name you wish to be credited by.

Chris

Sounds fun! I'll try and knock together some kind of short story snippet from a human point of view... Could either do a sentry or a raid, what you want?

Mabbz

Both? ;)

I had a look at the planetstrike supplement and that was at least 50% fluff. Really, I can use anything you give me.

Chris

Splendid! Well that was fun! I've written up a short story focusing on an Imperial team, I'll stick it here for now...
If its not what you're looking for, no worries. If you want anything different or changing, let me know. (Its spot on 2 side of A4)

I might try and work on something from from a completely different point of view....

Spoiler
Rain fell all around, the ditch he had been lay in for the last six hours had filled up to his waist with flood run off. The mud was sucking him in deeper to the bank and the cold had already sapped any warmth from his bones like a leech. He had been lay in deep cover observing the movement patterns of the sentries, but something had happened inside the complex and the main gate had been left unguarded for the last hour...
'Peculiar', Abrahem had thought to himself, if this truly was the main entrance to the complex, surely no matter what the crisis it should have remained manned. He was about to call it in to command when he heard a low rumble. The sound of mud and the splash of water being displaced, a convoy was coming down the road. 'Right on time' he smiled to himself. Poking his head up to be level with the road, he view the convoy as it approached the first check point through his magnoculars. He read traces of heat and radiation from the middle truck excessive of simple human life forms. The intel must have been right for once.
Task force bravo was assigned a simple observe and report detail based on the planet of Jaedon Prime when reports of the Planetary commissioner building up a stock pile of weapons and recruiting soldiers off the books came in. It might just be nothing, they were told, but the Inquisition didn't want to risk having a planet which had contributed so much to the surrounding system going rogue. Under no circumstance were they to intercept or confront the Planetary forces, but if things went south and their cover was blown they had been given permission to use whatever force necessary to extract themselves.
If the mercenary business, that was called a free pass to act as necessary.

The trucks had just been waved passed the first check point and were now approaching his position. A squeal of brakes signalled the convoy pulling over, the came to a stop ten metres away. Pressing himself as deep into the mud as he could, Abrahem shut his eyes willing his body to stay as quiet as possible. The built in Geiger counter began tick in his suit. The radiation levels were rising around him, whatever was in that truck was dangerous. He knew that if he spent too long near the source of the radiation he would be risking serious injury, he tried to shuffle away, but the sucking mud was holding him fast in his position. Abrahem heard a pair of boot crunching in the dirt directly above him. It was getting a little close for comfort, raising a hand to his ear, he tapped the com bead in his ear twice. Standard signal saying that he may have to move position or remove himself from the situation. The feet were still stood over him, it was only a matter of time until he was either discovered or his objective was lost. This whole time he was out of action, he could be missing the transaction.

A loud explosion boomed out through the forest, it cut through the noise of the rain storm and alarm siren began to ring out around the complex. The feet stood over the agent suddenly turned and ran back towards the truck. He heard the sound of an engine coughing back into life action flared up across the complex, jeeps were heading out in investigation and the throaty roar of a chimera troop transport ground by. He wasn't sure quite what was happening, but as he dared to poke his head up out of the ditch again, a whisper came in over his com. "This is our chance, all teams push in and get close. Do not engage unless fired upon, we want this to be clean and quick. Get in, grab what intel we can and get out. We don't have long, move" came the voice. The Imperial agent tapped his com once in affirmation, he clamoured out of his ditch keeping low, he moved from shadow to shadow. The gatehouse was unmanned again, back up against the wall, he drew his las pistol. Full charge and his blade strapped to his thigh, the order was for no bloodshed, but so long as he didn't get caught then surely there was no harm...

One armed soldier was patrolling the courtyard. A las carbine was in his hand, raincoat and big boots to protect from the acid rain. Abrahem waited until he had turned his back before rolling around the gatehouse and entering the complex. Sticking to the shadows, he approached the guard drawing his knife on the move. Just as the point where the guard began to turn again, the agent stuck a hand over his mouth and ran his blade smoothly across his throat. Warm thick blood ran over the agents hand and the guardsman went limp. He dragged the corpse into the shadows and covered him with his rain coat, he took the vox bead from the guards ear and plugged it into his receiver... "Mixing channels" he whispered through is vox mic, now he would know what they thought was happening.
He turned and checked his overhead display on his helmet visor, according to intel, there objective should be one hundred metres away through the complex... He saw coloured blips converging on it, each one marked with a code to signify their unit designation, each mark representing another agent. His nearest mark was one of his closest mates. Tarik and Abrahem had grown up in an orphanage together, signed up together and from day one they served the Emperor together. He was the closest thing to a brother the agent had ever known.

By now he was passing down a corridor, one door was at the end, doors set along the left every ten metres. He reached the end of the corridor, drawing his las pistol, he crouching to hear for life on the other side of the door. He began to open the door. When he heard noise, "Shit! I'm compromised, all agents, I'm compromised"... The Agent checked his vis com. His display showed up red over when an agent was moved from passive to active stance. Tarik was red. Abrahem's vis com showed that Tarik was just across the courtyard on the other side of this door. He turned the handle, wrenching the door open las pistol in hand, three men were crouched behind a barricade las carbines raised and seemed to be engaging in a fire fight with what Abrehem could only assume was Tarik. Two bodies lay beside the guards, bullet holes right between the eyes. Tarik had always been a fan for the old reliable methods, solid shot rifle with real bullets... made a mess of any kills, but the method of taking a life was so much more enjoyable...
Abrahem sprinted across the courtyard emptying his pistol into the nearest of the guardsmen, as the body hit the ground, the booming sound of Tariks rifle signalled the end of another guards life, out of the corner of his eyes, Abrahem saw something fall from the roof, he drew his knife and plunged it into the final guards neck, ripping it out, he looked around for any other guards. He checked the roof for any sign of Tarik, his signal on the vis. com showed no sign of him... Abrahem walked over to what he saw fall from the roof, fearing the worst, he reloaded his pistol and moved to cover the pile, turning the body over he saw the face of his closest friend. His brother in arms, a las burn mark on his shoulder and his skull smashed up from where he had landed...
Abrahem pressed his finger to his ear "All signs report, agent down, I repeat, we have an agent down."     

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

Question - does it have to be about a successful covert operation? I had an idea from a "heroic sentry" kind of perspective. Though now I think of it, it might lend itself more to the "heroic but futile" archetype...
[Bender]I'm back baby![/Bender]

Mabbz

Quote from: Chris on January 17, 2014, 07:27:05 PM
Splendid! Well that was fun! I've written up a short story focusing on an Imperial team, I'll stick it here for now...
If its not what you're looking for, no worries. If you want anything different or changing, let me know. (Its spot on 2 side of A4)

I might try and work on something from from a completely different point of view....

Spoiler
Rain fell all around, the ditch he had been lay in for the last six hours had filled up to his waist with flood run off. The mud was sucking him in deeper to the bank and the cold had already sapped any warmth from his bones like a leech. He had been lay in deep cover observing the movement patterns of the sentries, but something had happened inside the complex and the main gate had been left unguarded for the last hour...
'Peculiar', Abrahem had thought to himself, if this truly was the main entrance to the complex, surely no matter what the crisis it should have remained manned. He was about to call it in to command when he heard a low rumble. The sound of mud and the splash of water being displaced, a convoy was coming down the road. 'Right on time' he smiled to himself. Poking his head up to be level with the road, he view the convoy as it approached the first check point through his magnoculars. He read traces of heat and radiation from the middle truck excessive of simple human life forms. The intel must have been right for once.
Task force bravo was assigned a simple observe and report detail based on the planet of Jaedon Prime when reports of the Planetary commissioner building up a stock pile of weapons and recruiting soldiers off the books came in. It might just be nothing, they were told, but the Inquisition didn't want to risk having a planet which had contributed so much to the surrounding system going rogue. Under no circumstance were they to intercept or confront the Planetary forces, but if things went south and their cover was blown they had been given permission to use whatever force necessary to extract themselves.
If the mercenary business, that was called a free pass to act as necessary.

The trucks had just been waved passed the first check point and were now approaching his position. A squeal of brakes signalled the convoy pulling over, the came to a stop ten metres away. Pressing himself as deep into the mud as he could, Abrahem shut his eyes willing his body to stay as quiet as possible. The built in Geiger counter began tick in his suit. The radiation levels were rising around him, whatever was in that truck was dangerous. He knew that if he spent too long near the source of the radiation he would be risking serious injury, he tried to shuffle away, but the sucking mud was holding him fast in his position. Abrahem heard a pair of boot crunching in the dirt directly above him. It was getting a little close for comfort, raising a hand to his ear, he tapped the com bead in his ear twice. Standard signal saying that he may have to move position or remove himself from the situation. The feet were still stood over him, it was only a matter of time until he was either discovered or his objective was lost. This whole time he was out of action, he could be missing the transaction.

A loud explosion boomed out through the forest, it cut through the noise of the rain storm and alarm siren began to ring out around the complex. The feet stood over the agent suddenly turned and ran back towards the truck. He heard the sound of an engine coughing back into life action flared up across the complex, jeeps were heading out in investigation and the throaty roar of a chimera troop transport ground by. He wasn't sure quite what was happening, but as he dared to poke his head up out of the ditch again, a whisper came in over his com. "This is our chance, all teams push in and get close. Do not engage unless fired upon, we want this to be clean and quick. Get in, grab what intel we can and get out. We don't have long, move" came the voice. The Imperial agent tapped his com once in affirmation, he clamoured out of his ditch keeping low, he moved from shadow to shadow. The gatehouse was unmanned again, back up against the wall, he drew his las pistol. Full charge and his blade strapped to his thigh, the order was for no bloodshed, but so long as he didn't get caught then surely there was no harm...

One armed soldier was patrolling the courtyard. A las carbine was in his hand, raincoat and big boots to protect from the acid rain. Abrahem waited until he had turned his back before rolling around the gatehouse and entering the complex. Sticking to the shadows, he approached the guard drawing his knife on the move. Just as the point where the guard began to turn again, the agent stuck a hand over his mouth and ran his blade smoothly across his throat. Warm thick blood ran over the agents hand and the guardsman went limp. He dragged the corpse into the shadows and covered him with his rain coat, he took the vox bead from the guards ear and plugged it into his receiver... "Mixing channels" he whispered through is vox mic, now he would know what they thought was happening.
He turned and checked his overhead display on his helmet visor, according to intel, there objective should be one hundred metres away through the complex... He saw coloured blips converging on it, each one marked with a code to signify their unit designation, each mark representing another agent. His nearest mark was one of his closest mates. Tarik and Abrahem had grown up in an orphanage together, signed up together and from day one they served the Emperor together. He was the closest thing to a brother the agent had ever known.

By now he was passing down a corridor, one door was at the end, doors set along the left every ten metres. He reached the end of the corridor, drawing his las pistol, he crouching to hear for life on the other side of the door. He began to open the door. When he heard noise, "Shit! I'm compromised, all agents, I'm compromised"... The Agent checked his vis com. His display showed up red over when an agent was moved from passive to active stance. Tarik was red. Abrahem's vis com showed that Tarik was just across the courtyard on the other side of this door. He turned the handle, wrenching the door open las pistol in hand, three men were crouched behind a barricade las carbines raised and seemed to be engaging in a fire fight with what Abrehem could only assume was Tarik. Two bodies lay beside the guards, bullet holes right between the eyes. Tarik had always been a fan for the old reliable methods, solid shot rifle with real bullets... made a mess of any kills, but the method of taking a life was so much more enjoyable...
Abrahem sprinted across the courtyard emptying his pistol into the nearest of the guardsmen, as the body hit the ground, the booming sound of Tariks rifle signalled the end of another guards life, out of the corner of his eyes, Abrahem saw something fall from the roof, he drew his knife and plunged it into the final guards neck, ripping it out, he looked around for any other guards. He checked the roof for any sign of Tarik, his signal on the vis. com showed no sign of him... Abrahem walked over to what he saw fall from the roof, fearing the worst, he reloaded his pistol and moved to cover the pile, turning the body over he saw the face of his closest friend. His brother in arms, a las burn mark on his shoulder and his skull smashed up from where he had landed...
Abrahem pressed his finger to his ear "All signs report, agent down, I repeat, we have an agent down."     
Looks good. You will be in the next update. I look forward to anything else you write :)

Quote from: Dra'Tuisisch-Novae on January 18, 2014, 03:23:55 PM
Question - does it have to be about a successful covert operation? I had an idea from a "heroic sentry" kind of perspective. Though now I think of it, it might lend itself more to the "heroic but futile" archetype...
That's still fine. You can play as either side, after all.

InsaneTD

Shas'El Vral was standing in his command bunker looking at the map floating in the Strategy Tank, zoomed right into the area surrounding her base, she still couldn't workout where the Gue'Vesa were hiding. She was hoping the trooper standing in the XV-25 next to her could help track them down and eliminate them.

"Tell me about the last raid", The suit said. If anyone else had spoke to her this way or even continued wearing a suit in her bunker, she would of requested support from another Cadre, but Shas'O Shasserra had sent this squad herself and Vral wasn't about to say no to the Commander.

"They are getting into the base in the middle of the night, passing several drones moving in random patterns and some sentry towers. They broke into a hangar and planting fusion bombs on several suits, including the prototype I was supposed to test in the upcoming attack. They are managing to avoid all the patrols and sentries coming in, then they attack on their way out. We didn't realise they had even been into the hangar until the bombs detonated."

"I know how they are getting in." The Stealth suit turning towards her, "They have infiltrated your communication system, that's how they have known what to attack. And that you were calling for help."
"That doesn't explain how they are getting in...."

"No, but this does." The suit opening up to reveal a Gue'Vesa inside. "I'm sorry about this." He said as he fired the fusion blaster at the commander, the suit closing back up as he did. The beam sweeping around the room, killing several Shas'La and Shas'Ui and destroying consoles. The suits stealth field activating as he moved to the nearest door and out in to the corridor, attacking the Shas'Vre bodyguard running to save his commander.

Alarms were blaring all over the base as the Sergeant regrouped with the rest of his squad on top of a nearby ridge. "The charges planted?"
"Yeah Sarge, right where the techpreists told us too."
"Good, let's get out of here before they blow."

The squad moved quickly down the hill, the stealth fields in each suit activating as the went.

I haven't got a name for this one but I guess that doesn't matter much.

Edit: Might want to double check the spelling of Shadowsun's name. :P

Mabbz

Nice one. That'll be in the next update too (which I have started on).

I could do with a load of shorter stuff by the way. Little snippets only a few lines long that I could use for a timeline, or quotations I can scatter around. I've been trying to think of some, but all I could come up with was this:

"Sir! We're being infiltrated from behind!"
"Waste my time with another joke like that and I'll have you cleaning the latrines for a week, Jones."
"..."
"Jones?"
- Final transmission log for Guardsman Jones. KIA while on sentry duty.

I lack creativity when writing fluff. I always wind up thinking up bad puns and innuendo.

InsaneTD

Probably find plenty about real world spec ops stuff online that would fit.

InsaneTD

Not Again.

"SERGEANT!"

Joe cringed, he knew he was the one being called and he knew he wouldn't like what he was volunteering for. He jumped up and ran out the door to the Officer bellowing for him. He came to a halt and saluted the Colonel. "There you are Sergeant Dubinski. Just got a mission down from HQ that I think your squad would be perfect for." Joe mentally cringed again, "When's the briefing sir?"
"20 minutes Sergeant, make sure you're squad is geared up and ready to go." The Colonel started turning away when Joe spoke up, "What kind of mission is it Sir?" When the Colonel just looked at him, "So my men know what kind of gear to pack, Sir."
"Full kit Sergeant, any speciality gear will be provided."

Writing bug bit me. Had to write something and though I might write this up for you.

Chris

Darkness... That was all he could see. Sentry post four was the newest instalment on the compound, but yet it seemed the most useless. What good was it having a look out if he could only see darkness?
Webber turned and lit a cigar. Smokes and caffeine were the two small luxuries he had been allowed for his sixteen hour stint as lookout. He had already nearly fallen asleep twice, the sounds of the night surrounded him and the wind chilled him to the bone, sapping him of all energy. Once again he shuddered to keep himself from falling asleep.

An owl screeched somewhere in the trees and he heard the sound of rustling in the brush. At least something was going eat well tonight he thought as he unwrapped another protein bar. Again there was a crunch of broken twigs and the rustle of movement.
Lifting his magnoculars to his face, webber began to investigate. Nothing, just more darkness. Suddenly Webber felt warmth, erupting from his stomach, instinctively his began to investigate with his hands, as he looked down he saw his tunic thick with blood and a long scythed Tendril bursting through from behind. He fell forwards and rolled onto his back just in time to see a shadow leap from the sentry post and melt back into the darkness... The dark once more surrounded Webber, thick, impenetrable darkness, darkness which no light could dispel. 

Mabbz

Thanks for your help so far. Version 1.4 is now out, and some of your work has made it in. The pieces that haven't been included may still be added in the future, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have had to make some modifications to all the stories, but it was only to fix grammatical errors or shorten the piece so it'd fit in a nice gap. If you have any problems or think there is something that needs changing, let me know. The only other change was to Chris' last post, where I changed a sentence from "Nothing, just more darkness" to "Darkness there, and nothing more". I saw a chance to quote Poe, and I couldn't resist  ;D

If you have any more stories or quotes, please post them! There's plenty more gaps to fill, and I wouldn't mind a few more two page stories either.

Archon Sharrek

Right, so I have one, but it's not directly related to the actual combat, more or less the extraction. I have another Tau based one that's in the works.

Also, some quotes, if appropriate.

There's nuffin quite like crawling on yer belly through mud and who know what else, under fire, and cutting through wire, just to blow some unsuspecting fool up! Makes life worth livin' it does! - Trooper Harkan, Demolition Specialist, 512th Kilgravan Combat Engineers.

They came in the night, silent as ghosts. We never knew they'd taken the commander until he didn't show for morning inspection. All the Commissar found was his hat, all bloody like. - Private Chernovik's Testimony, Seraphicus Prime Raid Incident.

Ah, Sabotage. My favorite pastime, if you must know. Befouling the inferior machines of the Imperium, and tearing down the fettered triumphs of the Cult Mechanicus is always a pleasure. Glory to the Great Powers! Glory to the Scrap-code! - Heretek Odazmuth Gamma-177, of the Terrorsmiths of Kalesh.

Not the right men for the job, sir? With respect, sir, my men can put a las round through a coin at four hundred paces, every time. You need someone sniped sir, you send us, not those fool Ratlings. - Sergeant Tiberius d'Redgrave, 51st Royal Tythun 'Blue Bloods' Heavy Infantry.

We found the sentries dead, laying pools of there own blood, see. Then the ammo dump exploded, killing a good ten men, and 'alf a dozen Departmento boys. Captain sent us down to investigate, and then the power shut off, the containment fields failed, even though the cogheads told us they couldn't. 'Course then we had the local wildlife, all sharp teeth and razor claws in the base. The reason I ordered the evacuation, sir? That was when I found the Cap dead, his thumb missing, and the release codes for the [redacted +Inquisitorial Clearance Vermilion Required+] input into the prison cogitator. I didn't want to stick around when [redacted] came for his revenge. - Lieutenant Theodore, 101st Jannisari Rifles, executed upon Inquisitorial Order.

Edit: Minor grammatical errors that slipped past me.
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

Mabbz

Nice, especially the second one. I'll take them  :)

I'm currently working on small entries for a timeline, like this:

596.M41
A small team of Tau stealth suits successfully destroy the shield generator in a Necron outpost. The outpost is destroyed by orbital bombardment without complications.

942.M41
A veteran Imperial Guard Kill Team is sent to assassinate the Ork warlord Ghazghull Thraka on Armageddon. Their bodies are returned by catapult.

InsaneTD

I love that last one. I've actually been looking for inspiration and that has tickled my fancy. Might go write a short using it. :P