News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Will's Motivation/Painting Plog

Started by Will's on Fire, June 26, 2011, 03:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will's on Fire

Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, I agree the book was rubbish, I am probably going to redo the left hand page because the writing effect I was going for just didn't work, the paint was a bit too thin so it just 'blobbed' and didn't work. A title is a really nice idea, I will definitely consider it, and if I can get my brush controlled enough give it a go.

Some more progress on the wizard:

And one of his two bases, this one is the right size for gaming:

What do you think?

Just need to add the lighting to the cloak now and I'll be getting close to finished!

- Will

Will's on Fire

Now for some more pictures! This time, Sanguinary Guard Banner Bearer.

Added in the face, the NMM armour, the wings on the chest, the gun, and the shoulderpad. Getting there slowly!

Tell me what you think! :)

- Will

Will's on Fire

Some more progress,

Which NMM do you prefer?

Chest or leg? I'm tempted to have it as two separate, but not sure if that'll make it look a bit naff and as if I got the mix wrong on one of them...

- Will

Tom

I think I like the chest more but it's difficult to tell because the wings on the chest takes up so much space. The flat areas on the legs don't look quite right. The front of the banner looks excellent though, you're improving all the time.

Will's on Fire

Cheers for the reply!

I think I agree that the chest is a better end result, I think I made the legs too orange. I wish I'd bought a snakebite leather pot before the changeover of paints, rather than trying to create the snakebite from bestial each time. :S

I've really struggled with the flat areas on the legs all the way through, they're a bitch to try and work out where to highlight. I think I need to change it to a single highlight through the centre of the leg rather than the two highlights. I think I'll start the repainting tomorrow.

- Will

Will's on Fire

So today I sat down and I tried to paint the other leg in the method I used for the chest, just to remind myself of the method. I couldn't get it quite how I wanted, so I changed it around and tried something, and I think the end result is quite solid.

Be brutally honest, would you still prefer the other method or has this changed your mind?

What do you think?

- Will

GeorgeCrane

You are getting good, I'm impressed =)

Will's on Fire

Quote from: GeorgeCrane on August 12, 2012, 10:32:35 AM
You are getting good, I'm impressed =)

Thank you!

More updates:

Next on the list is to highlight around the edge of the wings on the back of the banner. That should help make it 'pop'.

What do you think?

- Will

Thantos

Great job so far ;D as i always say - you have a unique style. Many painters struggel with getting enough contrast in their minis (myself included :()
http://chestofcolors.com/about-driving-and-contrasts/
But you seem to have it sorted :P Good luck with the rest of him

Will's on Fire

Cheers Thantos, next on the things to do, on the next one, is to include the bright spots of pure white. Hopefully that should really make it good.

But for now, I have some different stuff. I based my ork warbikers:

Then, I bought an Ork Bomber. Made it fully swappable between the 3 variants, without too much work at all. Still hoping to one day get my hands on some magnets and do all this properly.

Anyway, heres the pieces I haven't started on:

And here are the ones I have:

And the exhaust:

Think I'm going to do some heavy washing of the metals on the exhaust, but for now I;m going to leave i and see how I want to do the rest of the metallics. And yes, that blur in the last photo is another project of mine that needs to be started. :P

One question, does anyone have any idea what would make a good base for an Ork Blitza-Dakka-Bomba?

- Will

Will's on Fire

Now for some more painting of the Bommer!

Gretchin Gunner:

Bits and pieces for putting on wings and front:

And then what I came up with for the base:

What do you think?

- Will

Thantos

Awesome progress! love the gunner grot ;D going to be a super flyier!

Vyper

Very nice, I always build vehicles before painting them. Would you say it's easier to paint them in sections?

Will's on Fire

I like painting it in sections, with a kit like this as it's just smaller to hold. The wings would be a nightmare if they were joined to the body as they would just be too wide to hold comfortably whilst painting.

Other parts are in pieces because I am making it fully swappable between all three versions of the jet, so the guns will all be removable, along with the piece that allows for the grot gunner part to be put in, the big shoota is then swappable between the two options for the gunner, Twin linked or normal. Took a bit of thought in places but for the most part was quite easy to have swappable. Would like however to be using magnets for it, but don't have any so for now it will be by the power of blu-tack.

Cheers Thantos, I certainly hope so!

So, I'm going to uni tomorrow, and therefore won't have access to the family's camera. Therefore I this will be having less posts from me in it. Unless I can find someone doing photography with a good camera in my halls. xD

I still need to finish the body of the plane, that's why currently it's matte black. I'll be adding in some more freehand symbols along the top, some more checks and the mushroom symbol which will be put on the piece just in front of the tail fin. This is the model at the moment in the dakkajet configuration.

And what's left apart form the body to paint:

What do you think? :D

- Will

Will's on Fire

Time to do some necromancing. :P

Well, after a while at uni I'm home. Done a bit of painting so here's some pictures. Hopefully the pictures have come out okay...

Dark Elf Sorceress ready to be the Drow Sorceress from a DnD campaign. The hair is the reason she has the name Niceda Bloodrose.

Then an Empire Witch hunter, who is also for the DnD campaign.

And then finally I bought Dark Vengeance, so here is my start on the cultists.

So, what do you think?

I have a celestial wizard to get pictures of, and the cultists I've been working on, then you'll be up to date on my painting. :P

- Will