News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Isle of Carandia (OOC thread)

Started by Narric, November 08, 2018, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Really wanting to play more RPGs, but also wanting to run one myself (and actually do it right).

The Isle of Carandia is my original location, and while I'd like to use the base races from the D&D Player book, the Gods of the Isle are different to what you've had before.

Its mostly temperate in climate, but the mountain in the center reaches far enough for its peaks to have seasonal ice coverage.

The Capital of the Isle of Camaruda Citadel, named in homage to the lost city of Camudara. Many cities across the isle are home to all the races, but a few have higher proportions of specific races.

I'm not looking for a specific number of players, as I think I can scale encounters accordingly. While I do have a set quest to start with, I did create this entire island nation, sooo...

If people are interested I can post more info.

World Building
Carandia can be found across a vast ocean from the major continents of the world. It is mainly an isolated nation, often times ignored by the rest of the world, and by the pantheon of gods others would call upon. This doesn't mean divine intervention is unheard of, but deities that watch of the Island are more fundamental.

• Grenator, the God of Forges, favours those who lean towards violence and weaponry.
  • Silvachur, the God of Mages, favours those whom knowledge is the goal of all life.
  • Karuma, the God of Rebalance. Watching over all deeds and ensuring appropriate repercussions occur, they favour those whom are fair and unbiased in the lives, or who ensure rebalance in the world. Some more affluent individuals try to corrupt the deity's image as the God of Thieves.

Cities

Camudara
Local history: Ancient city. Site of first landing on Carandia. It and most of the western island fell centuries ago and have become overrun with human/elf hybrids. Artefacts from this distant era make it a favourite for graverobbers, adventures, and academics alike.
Vantadurn
Local history: Built within and around a dormant volcano. The dwarves are constantly designing and building ever more fearsome weaponry, armour, and warmachines, though the reason for it has long since been forgotten by the other races.
Merivoon
Local history: When Camudara fell it become an emergency seat of authority of the island, until Camaruda Citadel was built. The Elves control most of the city now, and are fair with members of the other races, but firm when it comes to the law.
Camaruda Citadel
Local history: Camaruda Citadel was original the home of a virtuous king of the humans, who ruled much of the island in the power vacuum after Camadara fell. It is only accessible by ferries across the waters.
Saltsbury
Local history: Saltsbury started originally as a single fishery of the fresh water lake, but trade and its central location naturally made it grow to the well-built city it is today. Many restaurants feature fish dishes as signature choices.
Avana
Local history: Second only to Vantadurn, Avana is haven for inventors and spellsmiths.
Fort Yraven
Local history: The original structure is human by design, but when the fort was abandoned, it become a haven for teiflings, and down on their luck Dragonborn. These groups slowly rebuilt and expanded the fort into the haven it is today.
New Cantor
Local history: Birthplace of a legendary figure with striking red and blonde hair.
East Gemos
Local history: Larger than West Gemos. Notorious for competitive inhabitants.
West Gemos
Local history: More wealthy than East Gemos. Revered for its Academic focuses.
Vrak Kome
Local history: The only city with a large Half-Orc presence. Its leaders are wise enough to have kept the city prosperous with little issue from the other races, and has a mostly integrated society within its limits.

The story will begin in West Gemos, in a tavern called The Grey Nightingale.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Oh, you know just how to bring me back. :P Sounds good to me. :) Using the dnd character build or a different format for it?
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Railgun Convention

So how many crashes have I survived now?

Narric

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on November 08, 2018, 10:21:05 PM
Oh, you know just how to bring me back. :P Sounds good to me. :) Using the dnd character build or a different format for it?
I think my problem with my previous attempts at being a DM has been my need to re-invent the wheel of character design and mechanics for the RP. If I just stick to the tried & tested core D&D rules (5th ed btw) not only do I have an actual book to reference, but others can give me pointers on things :P

[Edit]

Player Character Log

CammerzNyx the Urchin[link]
MabbzBenjamin the Acolyte[link]
JacurutuAela the Outlander[link]
RailConObsidian the Soldier[link]Swapped out. Not in party, but still in world.
MkollHlaine the Soldier[link]KIA
UlqRaven the Soldier[link]

Mabbz

I'm always up for a bit of forum roleplaying. That said, I've never played DND before, so this will be an interesting new experience for me. Did someone say the rules are free online?

Cammerz

Well I ran a one-off 5e game not long ago but I've never been a PC in one, although I have plenty of experience with other RP systems. I'll certainly be up for giving this a go.

BigToof

Quote from: Narric on November 08, 2018, 08:22:04 PM
Really wanting to play more RPGs, but also wanting to run one myself (and actually do it right).

The Isle of Carandia is my original location, and while I'd like to use the base races from the D&D Player book, the Gods of the Isle are different to what you've had before.

Its mostly temperate in climate, but the mountain in the center reaches far enough for its peaks to have seasonal ice coverage.

The Capital of the Isle of Camaruda Citadel, named in homage to the lost city of Camudara. Many cities across the isle are home to all the races, but a few have higher proportions of specific races.

I'm not looking for a specific number of players, as I think I can scale encounters accordingly. While I do have a set quest to start with, I did create this entire island nation, sooo...

If people are interested I can post more info.

Bless you you beautiful GM.

I'll be glad to join if anyone's up for having me.

The DnD website used to have quick start rules as PDFs.

If everyone isn't familiar with 5th, I'd recommend us using just the basic rules to start with and going from there unless we want to delve into something more?

BTW, as GM did you have an idea as to what kind of campaign you were interested in running?

i.e. Is this High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, Warhammer Fantasy with the ID scratched off?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

Quote from: BigToof on November 10, 2018, 01:52:02 AM
BTW, as GM did you have an idea as to what kind of campaign you were interested in running?

i.e. Is this High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, Warhammer Fantasy with the ID scratched off?
Best,
-BT
Low fantasy I think is best to start with for me.

I'll be posting some more details of the island in my OP. Mainly just some lore on the major cities, and the starting location.

And currently I have a simple quest in mind. I've kinda balls'd up a couple RPs in the past by tying it to a large overarcing story, so this time I'm just gonna try and have smaller session length-esque quests in mind, and lets the PCs interact with the world more organically.

Cammerz

Would we be starting at level 1 or a little higher? Any classes you're disallowing given the low fantasy nature of it?
I'm going through the 5e rulebook and starting to put together character ideas.

Narric

Level 1 to start with.

Characters don't need to be from the island btw, so don't feel tied to its lore for the characters ;)

[EDIT]

World Map with town names.

Cities (Black dots)
1. Camudara 2. Vantadurn 3. Merivoon 4. Saltsbury
5. Avana 6. Fort Yraven 7. New Cantor 8. East Gemos
9. West Gemos 10. Camaruda Citadel 11. Vrak Kome

Towns
1. Clamsbar 2. Ratsbar 3. Vitchbar
4. Durnavale 5. Untersbar 6. Aezardsbar
7. Baylebar 8. Goomsvale 9. Saltscross
10. Yravencross 11. Canalvale 12. Grazervale
13. Camaruvale 14. Lakenvale 15. North Varabar
16. South Varabar 17. Gemoscross 18. Twillvale
19. Atchevale 20. Komebar   21. Squambar
22. Ightibar 23. Eriobar

BigToof

I've had the sudden realization that I'm going to be afk at the end of November.
Do we know when we were trying to start?
If soon, I might have to back out, sorry!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

My intent is that most of the week can be smaller interactions, with major things like combat or significant quest progression being done over Saturday and Sunday.

By the way guys, I coded a basic character sheet for everyone to use. Spell slots are a simple list, hence I didn't include them, and we'll have character descriptions anyway. If you folks need more info for character making, post here, or PM me.

Cammerz

Alright, let's give this character sheet a try.

Character Name: Nyx
Class & Level: Warlock 2 Background: Urchin Player Name: Cammerz
Race: Gnome (Rock Gnome) Alignment: Neutral-Good Exp: ??

Strength:
[8]
(-1)
Dexterity:
[14]
(+2)
Constitution:
[14]
(+2)
Intelligence:
[14]
(+2)
Wisdom:
[10]
(0)
Charisma:
[15]
(+2)
Passive Wisdom:
(10)
Proficiencies and
Languages:
Common, Gnomish, Light Armour, Simple Weapons, Disguise Kit, Tinker's Tools, Thieves' Kit
Inspiration:
Proficiency Bonus: [+2]
Saving Throws:
[Proficient in Wis and Cha, Advantage on Int, Wis and Cha vs Magic]
Skills:
[Advantage on Arcana, History, Sleight of Hand and Stealth]
Armour Class: [13]
Intiative: [+2]
Speed: [25']
Hit Point Total: [17]
Hit Dice: [d8]
Attacks and Spellcasting:
Eldritch Blast | +4 | 1d10+2 Force (can push a target up to 10')
Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+2 Piercing
Mace | +1 | 1d6-1 Bludgeoning
Equipment:
Light Crossbow (20 bolts)
Arcane Focus (Wand)
Dungeoneer's Pack
Leather Armour
Mace
2x Daggers
Map of East Gemos
Set of Common Clothes
Belt Pouch containing 10gp
Wigly (Pet Mouse)
Personality Traits: I hide scraps of food and trinkets away in my pockets
Ideals: I help the people who help me - that's what keeps us alive
Bonds: I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity on me
Flaws: People who can't take care of themselves get what they deserve
Features and Traits:

• Darkvision - 60' Dim becomes Bright, Dark becomes Dim
  • Add twice proficiency bonus to Intelligence (History) for magical items, alchemical objects or technological devices
  • Otherworldly Pact - The Fiend
  • Dark One's Blessing - Reduce a hostile creature to 0hp, gain temporary hp = Warlock lvl + Cha
  • City Secrets - When not in combat, you (and any companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in a city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

On top of all that I know two Cantrips: Eldritch Blast and Mage Hand, I know three spells: Burning Hands, Command and Hex, I have two 1st level spell slots which I can re-use after a short or long break. My spellcasting ability is Charisma, my Spell save DC is 12 and my Spell Attack Bonus is +4.

If we find ourselves short in any particular area then I would be willing to replace this with a different character to plug any gaps before the campaign starts. This one is actually a reimagined version of a 4e character I created as a back-up in case my Goliath Monk died but that game has ended and I like the concept.

Narric

Looks good :3 As it happens, the Gnomes and Halfings of Carandia are well known for their inventions and spellsmithery. Do you mind using the List function to break up the Feats and Traits section? Gonna go update the blank.

OP updated with all major city info. Named towns are open for backstory if you'd like to fill a little in yourself. In my mind, they're mostly Half-orc populations

Narric

Would like two or three players to get this started. We have Nyx, so I'll be updating an earlier post for Character sheets.

Had a few ideas from a colleague in work, so this should be fun :P