News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1650 Point Tournament Recap - Eldar

Started by Arguleon-veq, July 28, 2013, 07:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

So I went to another tourny this weekend, I just dropped a wave serpent from my list last weekend, these recaps will be very brief as im warhammered out  :P.

My list;

Farseer; Bike, Spear
Farseer; Bike, Spear
8 Warlocks; Bikes, Spears
3x Wave Serpents; Scatter, Shuri, Holo
3x5 Avengers;
Wraithknight;
5 Bikes; Cannon

Game 1 vs Chaos/Tau

Lord; Khorne, Jugger, Blind Axe, 4+ Inv
35 Cultists;
10 Cultists;
10 Cultists;
Helldrake;
Helldrake;
2 Nurgle Oblits;
3 Broadsides
; Intercept, 6 Missile Drones
Riptide; Ion, Fusion, Skyfire, Intercept
Commander; 2+ Save, 2 Missile Pods, Lots of Toys.
10 Kroot+1 Hound;
10 Kroot+1 Hound;

Kill Points
Dawn

Recap: This game could not have gone worse, looking at the list I was confident but I didnt get fortune. His first turn shooting took a few wounds off the wraithknight. I boost my council besides his broadsides and gun down a lot of his 35 strong meatshield around his horde.

He moves his lord etc up to support his broadsides his helldrake comes on and takes a couple of hull points off a serpent whilst his broadsides put a bit more damage on the wraithknight.

I gun down all but 3 of his cultists which annoyingly means my wraithknight cant instant kill his lord who is out in the open, there are only 3 cultists left because he passed a lot of 6+ armour saves against my serpent shields. My council shoot and charge his broadsides, im expecting to break them and jump back out of chaos lord assault range, I kill nothing at all and am held.

To make matters worse his oblits drop in and kill a serpent whilst his drakes finish another, his lord gets into my council and starts working them over thanks to no fortune and my wraithknight puts 2 wraithcannon shots at the oblits, no damage, he charges them with 5 instant death attacks, no hits, he is then killed by their 4 return attacks.

After that his helldrakes pretty much mop up my army.

Loss

Game 2 vs Nids

Dakka Flyrant;
Dakka Flyrant;
Usual Tervigon;
Usual Tervigon;
10 Termis;
10 Termis;
Trygon;
5 Ymargl Stealers;
Harpy;
Doom in a Pod;

5 Objectives
Hammer and Anvil

Recap: I got the powers I needed but was going second, thankfully the deployment type kept me alive turn 1. This game was as you'd expect him spawning gaunts me cruising around ready to drop avengers off on objectives late game and my council killing a unit a turn. The problem was that we only just got 4 turns in.

So this meant my council had only killed a tervigon and cleared one objective by turn 4 and managed to contest another and that my serpents werent in position to drop off and contest any objectives as I obviously play to do that turn 5. Thanks to this and him already been on the objectives cost me the game.

I got a draw against this guy a few tournaments back and had the same problem, we didnt get the right amount of turns and if we would have my guard/wolves would have took him off his last objective.

He was fine to play against but every game he has gets an absoloute max 5 turns and his army plays the early game rush so that is massivly in his favour. One of his games this weekend went an hour into lunch and still only got 5 turns and had it got the 6 turns they had rolled for would have seen a Tau player beat it. I heard a lot of people complaining about slow playing but I personally didnt notice it during the actual game but obviously something went wrong for us to only get 4 turns when I finished almost every other game an hour early. He was in a better position in terms of what he had left but hed stopped spawning gaunts and I could have had a chance to wipe the rest of his scoring out with my council with a few more turns.

It was still fun enough to play, just frustrating not getting to play a full game.

Loss

Game 3 vs Sisters/Guard

After 2 terrible first games I was relieved to see I had sisters in my last game of day 1, then I seen him get 3 vendettas out to go with them, and I have no skyfire.....

Celestine;
10 Sisters with Toys;
Rhino;
10 Sisters with Toys;
Rhino;
Exorcist;
Exorcist;
Exorcist;
Company Command
; 4 Plasma
Chimera;
10 Vets
; 3 Melta
10 Vets; 3 Melta
3 Vendettas;

Big Guns
Vangaurd

Recap: I got my powers but was going second but I sat them out of range turn 1. I powered up and got my council into his corner early game were they just took out all his sisters/exorcists and celestine 4 times because she kept getting back up and was still alive at the end of the game!

With my council in his corner It was all about his vendettas but my wave serpents performed and killed the first from the front and once they had done another attack run I got around the back to kill the others. Those scatter lasers coupled with the serpent shield making them very effective anti air tanks.

Win
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Game 4 vs Marines

Cassius;
10 Marines with Toys;
10 Marines with Toys;
5 TH/SS Termies;
Storm Raven;
Storm Talon;
Thunderfire Cannon
;
Techmarine;
5 Camo/Sniper Scouts;
5 Camo/Sniper Scouts;
Techmarine;
5 Sternguard
; 2 Lascannons;

Emporers Will
Dawn

Recap: I got the powers I needed and I was finally going first. Then he steals...

Annoyingly my council is all clustered ready to go and contest his objective and he has a thunderfire cannon aimed at me!, thanfully I get lucky on my saves and only lose a couple and a few wounds on my wraithknight.

That was that really, once they were powered up I had them in his corner killing off his marines and termies. I was worried about his raven that had 10 marines in thanks to AV12 all around my my serpents again performed as anti air boats and blew it away and finished the marines inside it.

Win

Game 5 vs Tau

Commander; 2+ Save, lots of toys
7 Marker Drones;
Usual Riptide;
Usual Riptide;
Skyray;
3 Suits
; Loads of Missiles, Monster/Tank Hunter
12 Fire Warriors;
12 Fire Warriors;
12 Fire Warriors;
Ethereal;
Mephiston;

5 Sniper Scouts;

Scouring
Vanguard

Recap: I got my powers again but for the 5th time this tournament I was going second, thankfully there were some nice LOS blocking rocks to keep me safe turn 1. I did blow away a serpent turn 1, stripping its cover and smashing it with those tank hunting missile suits.

Then much like the last two games I boosted right up to his castle, he has all his scoring and ethereal clustered around one objective, I had the other two near my corner. My wraithknight took centre table in some ruins, staying out of mephistons charge range.

He threw a riptide at my council to try and slow him down but the stand and shoot shuricats did some damage and I finished it in combat. I then get into his castle and he throws his other riptide and mephiston at me to try and stop me but my council just spend all game killing it all.

So there is essentially another game going on for my objectives with his commander with drones, suits and skyray fighting it out against my wraithknight and serpents. My serpents finally do away with his commander and drones, the wraithknight then kills the skyray and finally gets the suits with just 1 wound left.

All he has left at the end are a few sniper scouts and a fire warrior team as my council kill everything else in his castle and contest his objective.

Win

Final Standings;

My score should see me finish 18/58 which isnt too bad after my first two games but then the painting scores are added and I lose 10 points because my army wasnt 'detailed' and wasnt 'coherant'. Apparently it wasn't coherant because some of my bases were different styles even though you could see some actual individual bases were split 50/50 [fading from one to the other] between rocky grasslands and desert to show a unit passing from one to another.

Whats annoying is that I didnt get coherant despite my army all being exactly the same colours yet you have armies with allies getting it, totally different colours.

Thanks to that 10 point drop and how tight the standings were it dropped me down a huge 9 places to leave me;

27th out of 58

So im not happy with my overall finish at all and wont be going to a tournament with such subjective painting scores again but I am happy with 3 wins out of 5, especially when one of them was a lot to do with an early finish. This is the last time im taking my council to a tournament though, when they work they can beat anything but your never going to get everything you need all 5 games which means they will never win a tournament unless its a short 1 dayer.

Eldar come first [serpent spam]
Crons/GK second
Cron AV13 Spam third
Cron Wraithspam would have come first but my mate also lost 10 points and dropped to 8th.

Eldar had a mixed showing really but pure serpent spam were both playing it out on table 1 for the win in game 5, Tau had quite a bad weekend but suprisingly Crons made a big comeback and were probably the best performers of the weekend. There were lots of Chaos with Helldrakes and Flying Daemons finishing in mixed positions too.

With these last two tournaments, when[or if as some TO's just dont do it sometimes] they get uploaded it will put me back into the top 40 in the UK which is nice and hopefully I can up my score from what I got last year at my next tourny which should boost me up a little more [although as it will be replacing last years score if I do worse I will drop a fair bit]. Thankfully though thats not for another few months so ive got a tournament break as its been a pretty hectic few weeks for them and my minds just not really been it at these last two as my fiance and partner of 7 years left me a few weeks back.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Harsh couple of games, and sad to hear that you may have been chipmunked on the second game.
Those are always frustrating.

As effective as the Seer Council is, I'm always a bit worried that they are so reliant on their psyker powers that they pull.

Do you think if you went more/less Mech it might help?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Arguleon-veq

Hi BT,

Im deffo going more mech. This is what im thinking;

1750;
Farseer; Bike, Mantle of the Laughing God
Wraithknight;
Wraithknight;
5 Wave Serpents;
5x5 Avengers;
Skyshield Landing Pad
;

The guy that won this weekend and finished 1 place ahead of me last weekend was using the skyshield both weekends and it makies the army sooooo much better. He actually got the idea off the German ETC team [its the ETC next week and hes on team Wales but each team has to put their lists up in advance].

Its giving your Serpents 2+ cover saves. 3+ for cover off a fort, +1 for holo. Your wraithknights are also getting it or if your serpents are taking all the space around the bottom of it, they go on top for a 4+ invun save. It makes the army next to impossible to shoot down and then the farseer can go and conest and get linebreaker after guiding/presiencing both wraithknights for the early game.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

I like it!

Lots of Wave Serpents and the Wraithknights are always solid in my opinion.

Not too tough to model either, as I think everyone has some old Serpents lying around.

I'll have to put up my newest SW debacle for you to take a look at.

I had to fight a Seer Council backed up by...

Wait for it...

Howling Banshees.  And Lady D'ysperax.

They had 2+ re-rollables all over the place and some Wave Serpents and Venoms in the back shooting the nuts off my poor, poor Wolves.

It was not fun, but I suppose kind of educational.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on July 28, 2013, 07:28:56 PM
Hi BT,

Im deffo going more mech. This is what im thinking;

1750;
Farseer; Bike, Mantle of the Laughing God
Wraithknight;
Wraithknight;
5 Wave Serpents;
5x5 Avengers;
Skyshield Landing Pad
;

The guy that won this weekend and finished 1 place ahead of me last weekend was using the skyshield both weekends and it makies the army sooooo much better. He actually got the idea off the German ETC team [its the ETC next week and hes on team Wales but each team has to put their lists up in advance].

Its giving your Serpents 2+ cover saves. 3+ for cover off a fort, +1 for holo. Your wraithknights are also getting it or if your serpents are taking all the space around the bottom of it, they go on top for a 4+ invun save. It makes the army next to impossible to shoot down and then the farseer can go and conest and get linebreaker after guiding/presiencing both wraithknights for the early game.

The pad is awesome. I ran it a few times and feel like a douche to use one. Also if you place it in front of terrain with windows it's rather nice.

The interesting part about the shield is tha it is placed before terrain and any where on your board half even outside your deployment zone. You can place it near the middle of the board with ease.

I do wonder what is the cover save for units near the ladders. I want to run my sniper drones behind one of the legs.

I think this list is much better. The last one seemed the onl thing I haveto worry about was two units. However the mantle in my opinion may not be a good choice since Tau and just strait ignore cover saves. I have to look a the toughness of a farseer on a bike again if it is 5 than it's good, if it's 4 I personally would shoot at the farsee since I can instant kill it.

Arguleon-veq

By ladders do you mean the big legs on it? if your partly covered by any part of the pad your getting a 3+ cover because its a fort, so thanks to the sniper drone stealth they are getting a 2+ cover.

The farseer would have to worry about Tau and Helldrakes thanks to ignoring cover and hes only T4, I think with the Pad though I can just hide from Tau behind one of the legs on it. Hes just such a good contester/linebreaker especially when you have killed off any markerlights.

Im not sold on him yet though, at 1850 I add in 3 shadow weaver platforms so I can just use a farseer on foot who can join those and 3 bikes instead of the mantle seer.

I will take a look BT, thankfully wolves can shut down those pesky eldar powers!
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

The legs are pretty big, so he would be rather easy to hide behind the leg. I guess with run nd the assault move you can easily go back under the leg and hide.

+2 cover saves seems nice. I need to get one.