News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Eldar Alliance vs. Centurion-Star in "Tears of an Archon" (1500, 10/16)

Started by BigToof, October 17, 2014, 02:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

The Eldar Alliance vs. Centurion-Star in "Tears of an Archon" (1500, 10/16)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
It's been a while.  I was worried that perhaps the enthusiasm for reps had fallen to the wayside.
But, like the tide that always returns, I was emboldened by your replies.

So...

You asked for it, and here it is!

The NEW Dark Eldar Codex with some Eldar help (just a dash, really) versus the new Deathstar on the block, the Centurion-Star!
I wasn't looking to play them, mind you.  I went in, hoping for something that would let me play my somewhat counts-as army in hopes of finding out what worked and didn't work in the new Codex.

The New Codex is a bit of a roller-coaster.  Some things are better (WWP, Cheaper Scourges and Warriors, Usable Mandrakes?!) and some are decidedly worse (AP3 Huskblades, Wyches lose Haywire, No Baron or Vect!).  As such, I decided to take one of every unit and see what they did well (except you know, Mandrakes, I'm not that experimental).

One of my mates stepped up and said that he had a "fun" army that he was working on as well, and trusting lad that I am, I agreed to it.

And what would I see but a quartet of Centurions.  With Librarians.  AND DRAIGO.

Trust is a virtue.  Naivete is a killer.

So now, I'm stuck playing versus a dead killy list with my fluffy-fluff army of almost-no-spam.

I have a feeling things are going to be brutal.

Enjoy!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  If you're interested in BT points, let me know if you think the Eldar A) win tie or lose and B) do we take out the C-star? If you answer both correct, you earn a BT!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------
The Lists
--------------------------

The Eldar Alliance 1500: 32 Infantry, 5 Vehicles; 14 VPs, 3 WCs
The Grisly Hand Kabal
- Archon Y'stral w/Blaster, Shadowfield, WWP
- Haemonculus X'Bella Le'Gosi w/WWP, Armor of Misery
- Warriorsx5 in Venom w/SCx2
- Warriorsx5 in Venom w/SCx2
- Scourgesx5 w/Heatlancesx4
- Reaversx6 w/Clustersx2, Heatlancesx2, Arena Champ Starsparkle
- Ravenwing Jetfighter w/Dark Lances, Missilesx4
- Voidraven Bomber w/Void Lances, Void Bomb
"Totally not the Scarlet Serpents" Biel-Tan Allies
- Farseer Thielbane w/Jetbike
- Fire Dragonsx5 in Wave Serpent
- Jetbikesx3

Centurion-Star! (1500): 22 Infantry, 1 MC; 8 VPs, 10 WCs
Grey Knights
- Draigo
- Librarian, Mastery 3, Hammer, Liber Daemonica
- Terminatorsx5 w/Hammersx2, Psycannon
- Strikersx5 w/Incinerator
- Dreadknight w/Teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Great Sword
Iron Hands
- Librarian, Mastery 2, Force Sword, Terminator Armor w/SS
- Scoutsx5
- Centurionsx4 w/Gravcannons/Gravamps, Hurricaine Bolters, Omniscope Sgt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Ten: Failure is Totally an Option

"THIEL!"

Farseer Thielbane sighed and turned at the sound of the scream.  He was almost used to the sullen and only somewhat grotesque interior of the lead warship of the Grisly Hand Kabal.  There had been changes in the Dark City of Commeraugh as greater forces had declared that certain goods and services were to change immediately.  As a Farseer, Thielbane always had an inkling of the future, but he tried to ignore it to the best of his ability.  It only brought headaches.  Such as the one stamping towards him.

Archon Y'stral of the Grisly Hand Kabal was livid.  Every inch of his whip-thin form was shaking and his eyes were nearly bulging out of their pale sockets.  Thielbane was impressed.  He hadn't seen Y'stral this angry in quite some time.

"Did you know Thiel?!  Did YOU know?!!"

Thielbane sighed and brought an elegant hand up to his carefully wrinkled brow.

"No, Y'stral.  I'm not even sure what you're talking..."

A sputter of spittle shot across the room as the Archon of the Grisly Hand tried to put something together resembling words.  It did take some time.

"No more Combat Drugs?!  Are they serious?  How am I going to get my combat boner if I'm clean, Thiel?  Can you imagine it?  Me.  Clean???"

A few choice words came across Thielbane's mind, but he decided to disregard them in hopes of keeping the Archon on this side of psychopathy.

"I suppose, Y'stral, that they had their reasons for..."

"Reasons?" howled the Archon, "REASONS?!!  They can take their reasons and stick 'em high up with an Agonizer!  Look a this Thiel!"

Thielbane looked over at a wrapped list on a piece of slaveskin.  He wrinkled his nose at the smell.  Why the most advanced race in the universe needed to write their missives on stretched Mon-Keigh bits was beyond him.  But, the contents of the list were at least interesting.

"Y'stral, look.  The Kabals have managed some kind of agreement with the Scourges.  That's good.  And the Void Bombs are much more..."

"Sod the Void-whatevers!  Look here!  Huskblade venom's changed!  I can't go impaling to my heart's content anymore!"

Thielbane shrugged, "But it's still volatile enough to work on power armor and..."

"So what?!" snarled Y'stral, "If it's not the best, it's not good enough.  We're screwed, Thiel, plain and simple.  Frickin' Commeraugh with their frickin' rules!  If I was Vect, I'd...  I'd...  Well, I don't know, I'd do something that fixed everything."

Another sigh left Thielbane's lips and then he raised an eyebrow as he perused the extensive list.  Things were certainly different, and not all for the worst.  He'd have to talk to Bella about some of them.  As odd as the little Haemonculus was, she did have a way with devices.  And he would need help if they were going to convince the Archon to go through with the planned raid.

Some Mon-Keigh had landed on a Maiden World (again), and it was assigned to Thiel and his somewhat odd compatriots to remove that taint before it spread any further.  Thielbane didn't like the idea of going into battle against an unknown force, but the scouts had reported that the Imperial force was small.  Perhaps with a bit of luck they'd be in and out before anyone else would notice them.  After all, what could possibly go wrong?

--------------------------------------------------

"What do you mean, you're not sure if Lord Draigo will appear?"

Librarian Archimedes of the Grey Knight stifled a growl at the question.  The questioner stood bold as brass in ancient, but well-kept Terminator Armor.  Librarian Hexidas was taller than Archimedes by almost a full meter, although Archimedes was certain that some of it was due to the numerous mechanical implants that the Iron Hands introduced into themselves rather unnecessarily.  Archimedes rather looked forward to the moment when he could potentially mind-wipe Hexidas.  Maybe that would reboot his manners.

"I told you, Hexidas, that Lord Draigo appears when and where he will be of great need.  I have consulted the Emperor's Tarot and it clearly shows that he will arrive on schedule."

Hexidas mechanically snorted.  Cards.  The Grey Knight trusted cards.  Hexidas trusted the strength of the steel bonded to his soul and to the might of his Marines stationed on Terminus XII.  His chapter had entrusted him to take control of the new planet and to insure that development of a Forge World would proceed with no problem.  And everything was going on schedule until the Knights appeared from nowhere.  They spoke of some kind of mysterious threat, but said little to the nature of the danger.  Hexidas half-thought that the entire scenario was some kind of trick, but the intensity he picked up from the Grey Knight's mind was unmistakable.

Something was coming to Termius XII.  Something that needed crushing with overwhelming force.  It was a good thing the Iron Hands were here to provide exactly that.

------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Game Thoughts: Just when I thought Deathstars were dead.  So, well, it could be worse.  I have more vehicles, and he just has a wicked hard force that can become nigh-indestructable and kill anything it looks at totally dead.  If anything, I do have the advantage that I think he hasn't played his list that much and I've played my list exactly err... 0 times before.  Just have to play to the mission and hope that he doesn't get some kind of killer psyker combos.

...  Why didn't I just bring Wave Serpents?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission: Tactical Escalation (TO's=turn number)
Setup: Hammer and Anvil

Warlord:
Draigo: Kills Daemons extra-hard (luckily we're not y'know... Daemons... or Khymarae)
Dark Eldar: +1 seize and can re-roll reserves (!)
Psychic Powers:
- Draigo: Banishment, Gate of Infinity, Purge Soul, Hammerhand
- GK Libby: Prescience, Hammerhand, Purge Soul, Gate of Infinity
- IH Libby: Psychic Shriek, Terrify and... Invisibility (Ah, poop)
- Terminators, Strikers, Dreadknight: Hammerhand, Banishment
- Thielbane: Psychic Shriek, Fortune, Forewarning (4+invul)
Combat Drugs: +1 attack

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Be Continued!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Mabbz

Hmm... Normally I just hope for the best with BT points, and it tends to work out. On this occasion though, that deathstar does looks rather hard to crack. but then I still expect you to win on objectives so...

Ah, screw it. Eldar Alliance for the win, and one dead deathstar. Do not fail me.

Cammerz

Quote from: BigToof on October 17, 2014, 02:53:09 AM
Dark Eldar: +1 seize and can re-roll reserves (!)

But that couldn't happen could it? You never seize the initative, it's one of the few constants in the universe.

Great to see a new report BT, it's been too long. I've been out of the loop with 40k for a while now (probably since they ended the monthly White Dwarfs) so I'm not quite sure how this will all go but you appear to have a decent number of heat lances, fire dragons and aircraft weaponry (and that all sounds promising) so I'm going to vote in favour of the centurion star going 'pop'. But given that I still have no idea how these tactical objectives work or what they might contain it becomes even more difficult to estimate a result, so I'm just going to put my faith in the eldar and say that you'll win.

Archon Sharrek

I think between all the heat/dark lances and the remaining poison you should be able to kill the Star.

I was going to say that you'd probably win given that Tactical Objectives are in the mix, and you should able to grab the harder ones with your speed, but then I noticed the Libby rolled up Gate, and the Dreadknight has a Teleport Pack. That could throw a wrench into things if used right. So I'm no longer sure. I'll throw you in for the win as well, because I want to see the fluff win for once.
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

BigToof

Hi All,
Thank you all for the kind comments!
Here is the next installment.
Hope you all enjoy!
Feel free to leave comments on this part, it motivates me to finish it up sooner :)

Best,
-BT

Setup: Well, ruins go down in the corners of one DZ and the center and side of the other.  For some reason, we have a lot of short rocks (sigh that offer no cover for vehicles on stands) for terrain that go near the center, mostly as deep-strike deterrants on both sides (dangerous terrain tests maybe?).  In any case, Grey Knights win to choose their side and deploy first, so they put their objectives on the side with more terrain.  I decide to make the GK work for mine and put them mostly in the center near the rocks.

The GK take a few moments to think about how to deploy and put Draigo, the Librarians and the Centurions together behind the Dreadknight near the center front of their board.  The terminators and strikers go in reserve.
I do the mental math of:
2 killy things.  One of which can split fire (Centurion Sgt can do this).
Which likely means 3 dead things turn 1.

I need SOMETHING to survive turn 1, so I decide to put down an empty Wave Serpent in the center and the Warriors in their Venoms to the far corners.  That's technically 5 units, so I should (barring horrible rolls) be safe from this being a very short game.  I put Y'stral with the Fire Dragons and Thiel with Bella and the Reavers in reserve.  Jet and Bomber of course go in reserve as well.  Scourges and Jetbikes too.

I then decide to try and steal initiative as I have a +1 to the attempt and... FAIL.  Fail horribly.

And then the game begins!

Picture Caption: My short-run plan is to survive turn 1.  It's nice to have such lofty goals.

-------------------------------
Turn 1: Grey Knights

Librarian Hexidas couldn't believe his optical relays.  Lord Kaldor Draigo himself had arrived in a flash of otherworldly energy, and the Grey Knights fell into line with nary a word.  Draigo, though ancient in appearance, had an air of majestry that seemed to demand respect, which Hexidas grudgingly gave.  The Grey Knights lead them over into the rocky outcroppings on the edge of the encampment and Hexidas had to admit that somehow Draigo knew.  The Dark Eldar were here, just a few, and clearly gearing up for a raid.  Well, now it was time for the hunted to become the hunters!

----------------------------------------------------------------
TO: Hold objective of opponent's choice (Obj 2)

The GK's first card is a weird GK one where the GK opponent gets to decide an objective and if the GK take it they get a point and if it's longer than their turn it's extra points.  I nominate the one FAR away from my vehicles on the left in hopes that he might keep a unit or two back.  Sadly, he does not.

My opponent shunts his Dreadknight forwards to take care of the Wave Serpent and then gates in the Centurion-Star near both the Venom on my left and the Wave-Serpent.  Invisibiity goes off (as if I had a hope to hurt them).
Mass shooty goes into the Wave-Serpent, which is immobilized, and the Venom which is wrecked.  My Warriors disembark into the ruins, and although I've given up

Picture Caption: We're not wiped out!  Moral victory all around!

--------------------------------
Turn 1: Eldar

Warrior Dhak'los despised Craftworlder technology with every fiber of his being.  So, it was no real surprise to anyone that his continuous glare was directed towards the Wave Serpent that was haughtily hovering near his Venom.  Or rather, it was in the general vicinity on the other side of a ruined wall and out of sight, but that was still too close for Dhak'los.  Proper vehicles had two uses: To get you to places to kill things and well... to kill things.  Other things like durability and such were just weaknesses that the Craftworlders put into their every design.  Why would you put so much armor into something that didn't even let you see the terror in the eyes of your enemies and their unfiltered screams ringing sweetly in your ears? 

But, he was not the Archon.  It was not his job to decide where and when battles would occur.  Granted, many felt that the Archon didn't know where and what the Archon was doing either, but that was besides the point.  But, the main body of the force was late.  Which was irking as it meant that Dhak'los might have to communicate directly with the Craftworlders in some attempt to coordinate an attack.

Then, an enormous silvery Mon'Keigh monster flickered into being and started screaming about their Emperor and blasting bolts of enormous energy wildly into the air.

It was going to be one of those days.

-----------------------------------------------

TO: Take objective 4

Well, my card is pretty nice as I have basically no chance of my last Venom surviving.  The objective is on my side, so I boost the Venom over to take it.  Then umm... my Warriors and immobilized Wave Serpent try to do some damage, but flail helplessly against the invisible Cent-Star and Dreadknight.

Picture Caption: When the brave stand and fight, Dark Eldar run away!

VPs
GK: 1 (FB)
DE: 1

Turn 2: Grey Knights

The Warp is a mysterious place.

It is a place where mind transcends matter and time is as whimey-timey as it gets.

Noone knew this more than Kaldor Draigo.  Lord of the Grey Knights, Draigo had been both blessed and cursed with being sucked into the Warp and then spat out again in varying intervals.  At first, things were fairly straightforward, as his immensive psychic abilities let him guide his journeys, taking him to where he was most needed.  But, then he noticed something.

Time.  The times were wrong.

Battles that he had entered into were before his most recent assault, and others were often telling him of battles that he had not yet done.  But, Draigo had listened and had learned.  He had learned that he would be places where he had been because he had already been there and victories were already won before he had won them.

Lesser men would have felt their sanity crushed underneath such an experience, but not Draigo.

He had heard of the Battle of Terminus XII.  A battle in which fate had decreed that he would participate in and that a certain outcome had come forth.  But, Draigo was not here to play a passive part.

He wanted to see if fate could be denied.  Or would that change everything...

---------------------------------------------------

TO: Hold objective of choice (Obj 2), behind enemy lines

He gets all of his reserves (!).  The Scouts come in on the backfield left flank and secures obj 2 for the GK.  Terminators and Strike Squad DS in and land pretty much where they wanted to, the Termies near the Wave Serpent and Strikers near the last Venom.

So the Centurion blob gates over to harass my poor Venom-less Warriors and immobilized Wave Serpent.  As their entire force is out and about and Warp Charges are burning a hole in my opponent's pockets, he also gets off Prescience and almost (sadly enough) forgets to roll for invisibility.  He rolls with five dice... and FAILS.  A bit put off, but he makes sure that the Invis Libby is in the center of his Deathstar and gets down to the good old-fashioned Marine pastime of purging Xenos.  Needless to say, the Wave Serpent is wrecked and my Warriors are whittled down to just a few.  Thankfully, they do not run.

Meanwhile, the Dreadknight (cursing himself for not brining an Incinerator) chases down my Venom and knocks it effortlessly from the sky, while the Strikers slap down some of the Warriors that fall out.

So that leaves... less than half a dozen Warriors left...

This might be a very quick game.

VPs
GK: 3 (FB+both TO's)
DE: 1

Picture Caption: PLEASE LET RESERVE ROLLS BE GOOD. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Interlude
--------------------

Farseer Thielbane drummed his fingers against the handles of his Jetbike in annoyance.  Even though he knew Y'stral was going to be late, it still set his nerves on edge.  The Runes of Fate had clearly shown that the Grey Knights would be making an early frontal assault, and that a precision counter-assault would turn the tide of the battle.  However, the precision part was the one that was taking some time.

"Captain?  Shouldn't we leave soon?  The timer thing has been beeping for a while."

Thielbane turned to look at the concerned face of the former-Baroness Starsparkle.  Star was the youngest of the Dark Eldar in Y'stral's Kabal, but her utter fearlessness and jovial nature made her stand out amongst the others.  That, and she was one of the few daft enough to volunteer to have the new Caltrop Clusters attached to her bike.  Thielbane glanced at the explosives with a worried look and then glanced over at the mostly still figure of Bella Le'Gosi, their (somewhat by default) Haemonculus.  Bella was looking at the Caltrops and was writing furiously in her book as usual, her unnerving almost-perpendicular head tilt in full swing.  Thiel hadn't had the gumption to ask if that was a good or a bad thing, and perhaps was even more dreading the answer.  Commoraugh had sent new designs and "improvements" that the Haemonculus had set to their weapons, and even though there wasn't much in the way of a visible difference, the attention that Bella was paying them was unnerving to say the least.

Or it could be that Armor she was wearing.

Thiel hadn't seen much in the way of Ghostplate before, and he had heard that it was some kind of modified armor similar to what the standard Warriors wore, just improved somehow.

But, the Armor that Bella was wearing was different.  Although not readily visible under her voluminous robes, the silvery-white plate had a Wraithbone-like quality and seemed almost alive as the inscriptions and designs seemed to shift subtly enough to be unnerving.  Thiel hadn't looked at it for very long for a reason.

Just as he was about to give up hope, he heard a growling grumbling and saw Archon Y'stral stomping forward carrying his blaster.  The Dark Eldar weapon was powerful enough to evaporate a normal mortal in a single shot, and almost everyone was moving out of his glare to avoid exactly that temptation.

"Thiel!  Can you believe it?  I'm back to just shooting at these scumballs.  SHOOTING!  What a waste of time."

Thielbane nodded woodenly, more out of trying to move things along than agreeing with Y'stral's tirade.

"Yes, indeed.  I take it that you've looked over the new Webway Portals?"

Y'stral shrugged, "Yeah, they're new.  So what?  One-shot things that cost a bucket load of soul-chits."

"And allow you pinpoint accuracy in entering the field of battle."

Grumbling was the only response Thiel was getting, so he decided to hurry things along.

"Very well, everyone, get ready.  The time to strike it..."

"Thiel!" interrupted the Archon,  I'm still in charge here.  Minions!  Get ready to murder everything!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued!
BigToof Points:

BigToof

Oh, and here's the rest!

BT points to be updated soon.

Enjoy!
-BT

-----------------------------------------------

----------------------
Turn 2: Eldar
----------------------

Hekatrix Allonia winced as her Razorwing Jetfighter broke through the Webway Portal into realspace.  The Archon had bought some of the new fliers and had demanded that they be flown immediately.  He just ignored little things like not having any pilots.  Someone, somewhere had told him that Wyches could probably fly the flying gunboats and if she ever found out who that person was, they would be wearing their insides on the outside.  Still, she had to admit that it was rather enjoyable.
As a Wych, you always had to trust in the skills of your Raider pilot to get you where you wanted to go, but everyone knew the old mantra:

Fly in fast, walk home slow.

Khaine knows she could count the number of non-exploded Raiders she'd beeen on with one hand.  So maybe it wasn't so bad.  Her targeting system beeped and Allonia could see a number of Mon'Keigh Space Marines that were luckily brightly silver-coloured that they stuck out like a Haemonculus in a beauty pageant.  Flicking a few dials on her weapons panels, her Monoscythe Missiles armed themselves with a pleasing whirr.  Twisting the controls, her fighter nimbly dove down low... and nearly was bisected as a massive Bomber ran straight into her path.

Swearing, she banked hard and nearly passed out from the strain.  She managed to keep on her target and fired the missiles, praying to the Dark Muses that she hit something.  Luckily, the Missiles were clearly made for trimming out larger hordes, and the waves of artistic concentric waves bit into the Marines.  Allonia didn't have the luxury of looking at them again, but the silvery blips on her screen disappeared.

Lucky old girl.  Lucky.

Snarling, she flipped open her comms and barked out, "Who in Khaine's name is flying that Voidraven?  You almost killed us both!"

A familiar grating laugh popped up from the holo-comm and Allonia tried to keep her composure as her rival Hekatrix, Ray'keth answered back in her usual pompous tone.

"Oh, Allonia I thought that was you.  Dear me, I had such a trivial task of oh... eliminating the MOST important Mon-Keight that I didn't notice you and your little toy wobbling through the sky.  Did you hit anything with your tragic display?"

Allonia growled, "Ray'keth.  You...  You...  Yes.  Five Mon-Keigh.  I...  Did you even hit them?"

Ray'keth shrugged, "Oh, the Void Mine is such a delicate new thing, I'm sure I hit something of value.  But, we'll talk later dear, try not to die horribly."

As her rival's face disappeared from her screen, Allonia turned her fighter around.  Ray'keth would have to do better than that to outdo her...

------------------------------------------------------------

TO: Shoot down flier, Take Objective 2

I roll for reserves and with my Warlord bonus, everyone (but the Guardian Jetbikes) comes to join the party!

I put the Scourges down first near the Dreadknight and they deviate close enough to do their damage.  Then I use the WWP on Thiel and Y'stral to put them exactly where I need them.  Thiel goes near the Scouts camping on Obj 2 (which I need for a VP this turn), and Y'stral and his Fire Dragons go right next to the Dreadknight.
The Razorwing comes in missiles hot aiming at the Strikers.
And last, but not least, the Bomber goes right over the Centurion-Star and drops a bomb on the Invisibility Libby!  It hits and he takes a sizable number of wounds as his LoS rolls fail him and he goes down.  Draigo sucks up the rest, leaving him wounded, but far from broken.

Thiel then hits the Scouts with a Psychic Scream, which goes through as the Scouts have none of the anti-psyker shenanigans that the GK have, and the Scouts lose all but one member, who is nicely cleaned up in the resulting shooting phase.  Armor of Misery (-2Ld) is pretty sweet...

The Scourges and Archon/Fire Dragons wipe out the Dreadknight (barely) and the Razorwing carpet-bombs the Strikers out of existence.

And with that, the game seems to be turning!

VPs
GK: 3 (FB)
DE: 2

Picture Captions: Some shenanigans, LOTS of shooting.  It's the Eldar way.

Turn 3: Grey Knights
Kaldor Draigo winced as the massive bomb landed amongst his squad.  Using his immense psychic abilities, he was able to protect most of them, but the Iron Hands Librarian was not one of the fortunate ones.  Still, he lived, but would not be able to change the course of the battle.

The future.

Draigo had seen it and would not let it come to pass, this he swore.

TO: Destroy Vehicle, Challenge, use at least 3 Powers

My opponent takes a long look at the board and at his cards.  He's a bit ahead of me, but I've taken out some of his units.  So, I think he has a choice.  He can either gate away and hope that I can't catch up in points and snipe me once in a while or he can go for the throat.

And throat he does go for, as he splits the Deathstar by putting Draigo with the terminators and the GK Libby with the Centurions.

Draigo teleports in with the Terminators to threaten Thiel and does a surprising amount of shooty.  However, I do equally well with my LoS and 3+ Jink saves and get away pretty much intact!

The GK Libby did manage to get a couple of buffs off while firing at the Void Raven, but fails to take it down.  In the end, GK gains a VP, but nothing else.

VPs
GK: 4 (FB)
DE: 2

Picture Caption: Split up!  What could possibly go wrong?

---------------------------------
Turn 3: Eldar
---------------------------------

Foul Xenos weaponry bit into his Storm Shield, but Kaldor Draigo stood firm.

If the Xenos wanted his blood they'd have to do it up close and personal.

Raising his Titan Blade, the Master of the Grey Knights bellowed a challenge.

"I am Kaldor Draigo, slayer of Gods and Daemons.  Dare any of you try and test my mettle?"

A group of floating Xenos bikes turned and after some discourse, they charged in.

Two of the purple-pink bladed monstrosities formed a point in the squad, and Draigo readied his shield to receive the charge.  He had seen many things over his countless years of battle, but, as the Bikes swiveled on their axis and let loose with a bombard of palm-sized spheres, he must admit that he had never seen explosives with smiley faces on them.

TO: Kill Warlord, Behind Enemy Lines, Opponent Chooses Objective/Unit

Right, so time to get busy.  I decide that Draigo has to go, so the Jetbikes detach from Bella, who also moves up to keep Draigo in that oh so important Armor of Misery Range.  Fliers also move in to help.
The Scourges and Archon-lead Fire Dragons move towards the Centurions, but we're too far to really do anything of value.

I (barely) manage to get Psychic Scream off on Draigo's star, and after a whole lot of shooting (with lances from the Fliers), only Draigo is left.
I charge in and wallop Draigo with a metric-tonne of Caltrop hits (New Caltrops do 2d6 S6 RENDING Hammer of Wrath hits), and take down the heavily wounded Marine.

VPs
GK: 5 (FB)
DE: 5 (SW)

Picture Caption: Did my Reavers just take out Draigo??

Turn 4: Grey Knights
TO: Destroy Vehicle, Hold 2x obj, Use a Power, Take obj 1

My opponent realizes that things are getting real and with Draigo down, he needs the Centurions to do work.  He teleports again, landing close enough to his objective to take it and then fires at the Ravenwing which thankfully dodges.
Pocketing his two VP, he turns the table over to me.

VPs
GK: 7 (FB)
DE: 5 (SW)

Turn 4: Eldar
TO: Issue a challenge, Destroy unit in assault, Destroy Building, Destroy Vehicle

Well, these are kind of pointless cards (we have to make a rule about discarding things if your opponent doesn't have them in his list...).  So, I decide to try and eliminate his Centurions.  Or at least try to do so.
Unfortunately, no one is in range except the Reavers, who move on up.
I try the Psychic shenanigans again, but this time he Denies the Witch and gets off unscathed.
I check to make sure that the Centurions are Slow and Purposeful (so NO overwatch), and we charge in.  The Librarian is on his last wound due to a random perils that I forgot about, but learning that, I decide to challenge with Star.  (I would have done so anyway...  Sorry, Star).  But, I get off 2 rending hits that does him in at I10.  I have Furious Charge and all, but we don't do a WHOLE lot of damage against T5 2+save guys.  Thankfully, they don't do much damage to me either, and we stay stuck in.

Oh, and Fliers went off the board.

VPs
GK: 7 (FB)
DE: 6 (SW)

Picture Caption: How are Reavers suddenly not terrible in assault?

------------------------------------
T5: Grey Knights/Eldar
------------------------------------
GK TO: Destroy Vehicle, Take obj 4, Control 3 obj, Destroy Flyer, Take obj 2
DE TO: Destroy unit in Assault, Destroy Vehicle, Take obj1, Destroy Flyer, Hold Obj2

The last turn goes pretty quick as the Centurions and Reavers swipe at each other, not doing too much and then the Reavers hit and Run out of there.
My Fliers come back on and as the Reavers have cleverly positioned themselves so that the Centurions can't run back into cover, psychic scream and mass lance fire takes the big guys down.

Picture Caption: And then there were none...

-----------------------------
Result: Eldar Victory!
-----------------------------

Post-Game Thoughts: I...  I did it?

I DID IT!

Granted it would have been tougher if my opponent had more than one source of invisibility or if he didn't split the C-star, but I think one thing is clear:  The Dark Eldar are MUCH different and actually... not that bad.

But, let me do this unit by unit review:

1.  Archon
Well, he's still a BS7 Blaster, but I'm reluctant to spend points on him without an AP2 weapon.  The WWP trick is nice, but it seems a bit too unreliable.  It'll need more testing.

2.  Haemonculus
Cheaper than a Blaster Archon at base, but I'm not sure if they're so useful yet.  The Armor of Misery is a neat trick, but not too useful unless you go nutty with the Psychic Screams.

3.  Reavers
When did these guys get good?  Oh, that's right, if you drop their points by about a third and make them hella amazing with Hammer of Wrath hits, then yes, they'll be better.  My stars of this game.

4.  Scourges
They assisted with the Dreadknight, but were really lackluster otherwise.  Not sure still how useful they are.

5.  Warriors in a Venom
Cheap.  Near useless against 2+ saves though.  Did I mention cheap?

6.  Razorwing
Cheaper and hella shooty.  The ability to fire 4 missiles and erase a min-sized tac squad is amazingly satisfying.

7.  Voidraven
Well it was... ok.  The Bomb seems to be good against groups of 2+save infantry or multiwound T5/4 models, but well... they're really pricey.  Have to think about them still.

8.  Farseer
Since Reavers got better, having mobile Psychic shenanigans is now do-able!  Psychic scream is still mean to 2+ infantry and it really showed off combos with Armor of Misery.  Pretty nice for a minimal investment.

9.  Fire Dragons in Wave Serpent
Serpent helped us all by not dying turn 1.  Fire Dragons once again erase a unit when they show up, and not that pricey.

10.  Jetbikes
Sort of forgot to even get them out of reserves :)

So, do I like the new DE book?  Yes.  Do I miss things that aren't there?  Yes.
But, will I continue to play them?  Yes, but maybe not as fanatically as I once did.  They lost some flavour and well, they didn't really change enough to excite the imagination.  Yet.  :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

---------------
Epilogue
---------------

Farseer Thielbane nodded to himself.  The Grey Knights had fallen, the Maiden World (wherever it was) was safe and most everyone was still alive.  It had been a good day.

"THIEL!"

Thielbane sighed as he watched Y'stral storm over waving his blaster.  He knew it was too good to last.

"Thiel, tell me you saved one for me!  Tell me you didn't just murder everything without me!"

The Farseer shook his head, "Y'stral, they had formidable weaponry, we couldn't just..."

"I knew it Thiel, I knew it!  Stupid Webway Portal nonsense!  See if you'll ever catch me doing this again.  I tell you Thiel change is only a good thing if it involves me murder-facing things, not shooting like a Tau!"

Thielbane nodded while trying not to roll his eyes.  But, it hadn't been that bad.  A solid victory.  Although he did wonder where the enigmatic leader of the Grey Knights had vanished to...

----------------------------------------------------------

Far away in the Warp, the enormous form of a Greater Daemon chortled over steepled fingers as the unconscious form of Draigo returned to the Warp.  The Grey Knight thought that he was acting in the interest of the False Emperor, and that all he could change fate.

How little he actually knew.  For the Changer of Ways knew best how to play the Great Game, and victory has little meaning to those already damned...
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Great report BT, I'm glad to see those Centurians went 'pop'. I'm even more happy to see Reavers doing well, partially because I've just always loved the models. I just hope that Scourges turn out to be alright, maybe tool them up with splinter cannons and send them after light infantry? If that's still an option this edition.

I have no idea what this Armour of Misery is but it sounds fun, is it leadership shenanigans?

As for the fluff, I've never been a fan of Draigo but you've put an interesting spin on it that Mat Ward would probably oppose so I'm all in favour. Maybe a little light on Eldar/Dark Eldar fluff but given the length of time since your last report I'm not going to complain too much.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next, I'd like to see something with Lorilune but based on the poll I'm guessing Thunderwolves unless you have a particularly fun battle in the near future.

Job's a good un!

Also: Yay, another BT point coming my way! (Totally not unnecessarily competitive)

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on November 02, 2014, 12:37:12 PM
Great report BT, I'm glad to see those Centurians went 'pop'. I'm even more happy to see Reavers doing well, partially because I've just always loved the models. I just hope that Scourges turn out to be alright, maybe tool them up with splinter cannons and send them after light infantry? If that's still an option this edition.

I have no idea what this Armour of Misery is but it sounds fun, is it leadership shenanigans?

As for the fluff, I've never been a fan of Draigo but you've put an interesting spin on it that Mat Ward would probably oppose so I'm all in favour. Maybe a little light on Eldar/Dark Eldar fluff but given the length of time since your last report I'm not going to complain too much.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next, I'd like to see something with Lorilune but based on the poll I'm guessing Thunderwolves unless you have a particularly fun battle in the near future.

Job's a good un!

Also: Yay, another BT point coming my way! (Totally not unnecessarily competitive)

Hi Cammerz,
Thanks for the reply!
I felt a bit out of practice, so perhaps that's why the fluff was so light :)
The Armor of Misery makes a -2Ld aura around it, so it's pretty useful if you're using things that need Ld rolls (like Psychic Scream).
I can't believe I made Draigo more interesting...  I feel dirty now :)

As for what's coming up next, I have options for more Dark Eldar (with the Coven Supplement), Space Wolves, and maybe Tau w/friends depending on what I have.

If you all are interested in something else let me know!

I'm also working on more Romanov Chronicles if you're interested in seeing that up independently as well.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

BigToof

Bumping this slightly as there seems to be not that much activity.

I'm on a bit of a Dark Eldar fix at the moment.

Trying to work on some more, but if you want Power Armor or IG action, I can do that instead.

Just letting everyone know :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Mabbz

I'm always up for your Tau (their last outing saw Lorilune leave with da orks right? I wonder how Bang is coping  :'(), but in the end, all your reports are great. I'd be happy regardless of who you go for.

Also, Yay! BT point!

BigToof

Quote from: Mabbz on November 08, 2014, 11:48:43 PM
I'm always up for your Tau (their last outing saw Lorilune leave with da orks right? I wonder how Bang is coping  :'(), but in the end, all your reports are great. I'd be happy regardless of who you go for.

Also, Yay! BT point!

Your wish is my command bearer of THREE BIGTOOF POINTS.

I will bring out the Tau from their mothballs and get a game in soon.

They... might have allies though.

TAU allies.  :)

THE ENCLAVES RETURN.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Archon Sharrek

Well, colour me excited. I'm not as up to date on your Tau fluff as some of the others on here, but I'm looking forward to it, none the less.
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

Chris

Wow... I mean, Wow!
I genuinely didn't expect that!
I love reading your stuff BT, and I know you're a good gamer, but I didn't expect that outcome at all!

Great read, looking forward to the next one!

BigToof

Quote from: Archon Sharrek on November 09, 2014, 04:07:10 AM
Well, colour me excited. I'm not as up to date on your Tau fluff as some of the others on here, but I'm looking forward to it, none the less.

Thanks for the reply Archon Sharrek,
I've got my list and the game will be coming in shortly.  I have to find a spin on it, as it appears that an old nemesis has reappeared: ORKS.  This will be an interesting one indeed.
I'm not going to retool my list, but I'm not I have enough guns...
I guess I'll find out soon!

Quote from: Chris on November 09, 2014, 03:00:39 PM
Wow... I mean, Wow!
I genuinely didn't expect that!
I love reading your stuff BT, and I know you're a good gamer, but I didn't expect that outcome at all!

Great read, looking forward to the next one!

Thanks for the reply Chris!

I suppose I just got lucky in some ways.
Plus, his deathstar was really heavy on the points and just losing one thing (like invisibility) really made the whole thing fall apart.
I doubt I'd get so lucky again.

That build is really quite scary.

Actually now that I think about it, a lot of things leftover from 6th really are...

Perhaps once the Marines get a new Codex things will be toned down for them as well?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: