News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

GW's Latest Release Plan

Started by Chris, March 05, 2014, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hey guys
Just thought I'd open up a discussion about opinions on Games Workshops new strategy for releasing things.
Don't get me wrong, I love that there is loads of new stuff coming out and it is bringing whole facets of the 40k world to light for all levels of hobbyist, but I can't help but feel like they are clutching at straws a bit.

Having read reviews of the new Legion of the Damned Codex, it sounds like they are making whole detachments and dataslates out of things which simply should not be taken outside of the standard codex.

I can understand some of them, like the LotD and Inq. ones, but so many of the more recent releases are void of purpose and simply there as an opportunity to grab money.

Not to mention, they are ruling out all of the hobbyists who don't have access to an iPad or Kindle etc...
What are your thoughts?

CoffeeGrunt

I don't agree, because you cited Inquistion and Legion of the Damned, yet say they're fine but other supplements are straw-clutching....what other, recent supplements?

You don't need an iPad or Kindle to read an EBook, either, and most of this stuff goes Hardback within a couple of months.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Chris

LotD codex seems unnecessary, they worked perfectly well as an Elites slot for the SM, whilst I can understand the background behind the split (in that they could aid the other forces too), it makes very little difference and they may as well have stayed in the SM Codex only.
Knights are another... They're brilliant models, but its just unnecessary again. Knights belong in Epic and Apocalypse games, not standard 40k, even with escalation rules.

Do they come out in hardbook? I'm yet to see anything rules wise that has been released by BL to come out in Hard back.

Whilst this post is partly a rant, I have been trying my hardest to keep up with what has been happening in GW circles, but there is just so much stuff out there now, its just daft crazy to know what's what.

Thantos

I cant comment on the rules since i just paint (or try to..) and ignore them nowadays :P

But some of the new minis are nice. Knights were a big step in the right direction for me!

Narric

IIRC, there have also been Eldar Craftworld Iyandan, and Farsight Enclave supplements, which from my pov have all but fallen off the map in terms of discussion material.

What they should really do is bring back Chapter Approved.
(for those that don't know) chapter Approved was an annual book that contained new rules, experimental rules, codex revisions, additional units, Q&As, and even advice on how to hobby. Pretty Much White Dwarf summed up for the year.

I'm looking at the 2004 edition, and I could easily use the provided Chapter Tactics to field LotD using the normal SMurf dex :P It would be very OP, but I could do it with opponent consent.

Looking more at recent releases, I can only think they going for the "Look at the new shiny" method of generating sales, rather than playing the longer game of creating genuine product that people will want to come back to. All of us Old Guard are here becuase we loved the game and models (and in hindsight, prices) of the older editions and years. GW has lost this, and only wnats more money through less effort.

This my two cents :P

CoffeeGrunt

QuoteLotD codex seems unnecessary, they worked perfectly well as an Elites slot for the SM

The idea is that you can have Sisters of Battle or whatever, with LotD suddenly appearing to help them fight. Not Sisters of Battle fighting, then suddenly the LotD appear with some Ultramarines tagging along.

QuoteDo they come out in hardbook? I'm yet to see anything rules wise that has been released by BL to come out in Hard back.

I'm currently holding a Farsight Enclaves book in my hand, so yes. They come out 2-3 months after the E-Book's release, in order to appease Apple. Also it's GW Digital that makes the Ebook supplements.

QuoteFarsight Enclave supplements, which from my pov have all but fallen off the map in terms of discussion material.

You must not play Tau much, Farsight Enclaves is golden and used a tonne for Tau lists.

QuoteKnights are another... They're brilliant models, but its just unnecessary again. Knights belong in Epic and Apocalypse games, not standard 40k, even with escalation rules.

I'm sorry, but after the incessant whining of the internet I'm just going to say this:

What do you want GW to release? Seriously, what the hell is there they can do to please you? They release kits of much loved minis from their early days, recast in some pretty sexy detail, fully posable from the waist up, with rules that lets them slot into the game if you want them to.

What else can they do, Chris? Give it to you for free? Give them a D Blast weapon? Make it out of chocolate?

How about this, if you don't like it, don't buy it. There's clearly other people out there who are buying and loving these, and 90% of them are hobbyists. It's clearly not designed for beginners, as it takes experienced modellors hours to assembled. It's clearly not a rules cash-grab, because they're actually fairly balanced for their high points cost.

It's quite clearly designed for nostalgic oldies and people who love modelling to have fun with, and hell, if you wanna you can play it on the table. What's wrong with that?

Sorry for this rant, but I've had it up to my eyeballs with the constant deluge of whining this fandom puts out. Christ, I used to be a brony, and even they weren't so entitled...

Narric

It may be used for a lot of Tau lists, but I honestly don't see that here.

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on March 05, 2014, 09:55:27 PM
QuoteKnights are another... They're brilliant models, but its just unnecessary again. Knights belong in Epic and Apocalypse games, not standard 40k, even with escalation rules.

Spoiler
I'm sorry, but after the incessant whining of the internet I'm just going to say this:

What do you want GW to release? Seriously, what the hell is there they can do to please you? They release kits of much loved minis from their early days, recast in some pretty sexy detail, fully posable from the waist up, with rules that lets them slot into the game if you want them to.

What else can they do, Chris? Give it to you for free? Give them a D Blast weapon? Make it out of chocolate?

How about this, if you don't like it, don't buy it. There's clearly other people out there who are buying and loving these, and 90% of them are hobbyists. It's clearly not designed for beginners, as it takes experienced modellors hours to assembled. It's clearly not a rules cash-grab, because they're actually fairly balanced for their high points cost.

It's quite clearly designed for nostalgic oldies and people who love modelling to have fun with, and hell, if you wanna you can play it on the table. What's wrong with that?

Sorry for this rant, but I've had it up to my eyeballs with the constant deluge of whining this fandom puts out. Christ, I used to be a brony, and even they weren't so entitled...
The only response I could think of on the spot would be why couldn't they re-build "Adeptus Titanicus" first as an idependant to drum up interest, and build up to releasing the model?
They could then later release more similar kits for other races that could be directly from the re-booted AT, making it feel more like a large range, rather than just a set of options for army building with mediocre to OP rules.

I don't feel any build up to these releases, and rumours mostly fill me with dread these days, unless its a non-Imperium race in which case I'm more trying to avoid disappointment about what the Non-imp races get. Case and point would be Grav-weapons being a SMurf exclusive weapon, rather than something Eldar or Necrons could have had. Eldar got their 6th Ed Codex first (iirc), yet didn't get a weapon they no doubt were playtested against.

Back to the Knight, I've yet to look at the kit from the standpoint of someone only looking at it for conversion parts, or to create something completely new, and my opinion may change if I do look at it that way.

Deraj

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on March 05, 2014, 09:55:27 PM

This. GW are doing everything that everyone wanted 5 years ago. Supplemental codices for all the little ofshoots that won't get full codexes? Awesome. Huge models that feel epic? That's pretty cool. A constant stream of new releases instead of getting maybe 5 releases a year? That's fantastic. No one plays Armageddon, and don't blame gw for that. They stopped selling because no one was playing it, not the other way around. Now there's the chance to have fun old models back and to use them in actual games? Sign me up. I love playing in city terrain and looking at my havocs standing in buildings waiting for Riptides or the like to walk by so they can shoot the living hell out of them, or lords with powerfists fighting gigantic monstrosities. The game isn't devolving, it's just becoming more and more cinematic and less flat and boring like chess or the 'balanced because everything is the same' 3rd edition.

And on the note of chapter approved: it was ok, but even with that, we got what... a couple new units and 2-3 army lists per year? The new supplements have as much as a year's worth of chapter approved and we get half a dozen a year at this rate. I had quit 40k for nearly 5 years to only focus on fantasy, but the last couple years have started making me really love the new models, new rules, and new system of release.

CoffeeGrunt

QuoteIt may be used for a lot of Tau lists, but I honestly don't see that here.

A lot of the players here don't seem to play Tau. I haven't seen any Army Lists here aside from my own, IIRC. However, on ATT, Farsight Enclaves is very popular. Why wouldn't it be?

QuoteThe only response I could think of on the spot would be why couldn't they re-build "Adeptus Titanicus" first as an idependant to drum up interest, and build up to releasing the model?

Knights aren't Mechanicum in the fluff, they're a separate entity. However, with Forge World releasing new Mechanicum units quite rapidly, we may very well see a Mechanicus faction emerge from it.

Also Grav Guns only beat Plasma Guns once you get to T6 Sv 2+, otherwise they're just the same or worse, aside from Gets Hot. It also does't make sense for Eldar to get Grav Guns, because their standard weaponry almost all ignores armour on a 6 to Wound, they don't need Grav. Necrons likewise have more than enough special weaponry, hence why they're a pretty strong if slightly limited Codex a few years after their release.

Narric

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on March 05, 2014, 11:57:55 PM
It also does't make sense for Eldar to get Grav Guns, because their standard weaponry almost all ignores armour on a 6 to Wound, they don't need Grav.
Wait, what?! When did Eldar get Guass weaponry? I should really look up the 6th edition dex, becuase I have completely missed this update!

The Man They Call Jayne

All Eldar Shiruken weapons, from pistols to cannons, Autowound and become AP2 on a roll to wound of a 6.

20 Guardians put out 40 shots at BS4 and can easily take down a Wraithknight or Riptide.

As for the Farsight dex, it's cool. It's mostly some cool fluff that I like and rules for him and the 7 Samurai, which are also pretty cool. You can do some good things with it.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

CoffeeGrunt

I'm gunna level with you Narric, if you're not aware of the biggest, most talked about change to Eldar's basic Infantry weapon, then I don't think you can really talk about the state of the game right now, as it shows you're out of the loop a bit...

Narric

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on March 06, 2014, 07:23:17 AM
I'm gunna level with you Narric, if you're not aware of the biggest, most talked about change to Eldar's basic Infantry weapon, then I don't think you can really talk about the state of the game right now, as it shows you're out of the loop a bit...
I'm not gonna deny that after this evidence. Clearly I've stepped back to far from GW and its releases...

CoffeeGrunt

The Gauss special rule is that the weapon also Glances vehicles on a 6, regardless of the AV. For a Bolter-esque weapon carried by basic Troops, that's hella nasty.

The Man They Call Jayne

Especially given the number of Psykers Eldar can make use of to drop twinlinked and re-roll to wound on them. Oh, and they can Move, Run and then shoot. Or shoot then run depending on your preferance.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4