News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Warhounds [SW/IG] BatRep Blog

Started by Arguleon-veq, February 17, 2013, 08:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

I thought I would put all my wolf/guard batreps together to save cluttering the board. Here is the start of the fluff for my chapter;

Index Astartes - Warhounds

Origins
The origins of the Warhounds lie in the 25th Founding [M40].
It was deemed that another Chapter was needed to safeguard Imperial interests in the perilous Maelstrom region. The genetic heritage of the Warhounds is shrouded in mystery as they claim no chapter as their progenitor although many believe them to be a White Scars successor chapter.

The Warhounds were granted a single battle barge and eight strike cruisers from which they would be able to protect the space lanes around the Maelstrom.

Many of the Warhounds earliest battles were fought against resurgent feral ork clans and in these battles the Warhounds fought besides the veteran yet depleted titan legion of the Legio Molosser. Having lost all but their scout titans during their millenia of battle the Legio Molosser had for over a thousand years been able to only field warhound titans, wether those in charge of the creation and posting of the Warhound chapter chose the pairing because of fitting symmetry or by circumstance is unknown. What is known is that the aggressive pack hunting tactics and mentality, in order to bring down larger titans,  of the scout titan packs had a profound effect on the development of the Warhounds combat doctrine. The Warhounds as a sign of honour towards the Legio Molosser also adopted the Legio's armour colouring as their own.

Homeworld
The Warhounds were granted fiefdom of the planet T'shar to act as both a staging post and recruiting ground for the new chapter following their campaign against the feral ork clans of the region.

T'shar is a world of mountains and dense forests, filled with some of the deadliest predators in the segmentum. Its people are hardy and resilient and are expert hunters of the predators that also prey on them. Many such as the gigantic razorbear are more than capable of tearing a tactical squad limb from limb whilst shrugging off sustained bolter fire. Many cite the nearness to the corrupted Maelstrom as to why T'shar's predators are so aggressive and grow to such size. Some occasionally showing signs of mutation. The people of T'shar provide a tithe of one light infantry regiment every five years to the monolithic Imperial Guard, many of which have gained countless battle honours, most notably the Tashan 2nd 'Bear Baiters'. T'shar also provides small tithes of mined materials to the Imperium.

The people of T'shar live in small but heavily walled towns, only the bravest daring to venture into the dark forests and foreboding mountains in order to hunt and provide food for their people.

Each of the Warhounds 8 companies has their own fortress lodges deep in the most dangerous and inhospitable areas of T'shar, although near enough to their people to provide aid when their towns are being attacked by a predator that proves too much for their defenses. The fortress lodges provide each company with a means to hunt the creatures of T'shar in order to keep their skill sharp.

The Warhounds also observe the hunting parties of the natives of T'shar and any that show particular skill or bravery are recruited by the chapter as aspirants.

Combat Doctrine and Organisation

The combat doctrine and organisation of the Warhounds differs massively from that of the Codex Astartes. Wether it comes from their formative campaign alongside the Legio Molosser or the recruiting from a populace whose whole life revolves around the hunt or even a combination of both, the Warhounds are as much hunters as warriors.

There is no scout company in the Warhounds chapter or any dedicated reserve companies. The Warhounds value the hunt above almost all else, the bigger the trophy, the better the hunt. As a consequence the chapter believe that only through earning it does a marine deserve the chance to wield the higher calibre weapons that are capable of felling the greatest beasts. Due to this, newly inducted marines are granted a bolt pistol and close combat weapon only. Having to engage monstrous foes in close quarters to ensure their courage.

A marine of the Warhounds, once showing himself worthy, will be granted the bolter. Having matured as a warrior and hunter, the marine can now be trusted to remain level headed and fell greater foes with disciplined and accurate fire.

The veterans of the chapter are granted the heaviest weapons available, allowing them to slay the mightiest creatures and enemies in the galaxy, making their skulls proud trophies for the fortress lodge of their company.

The chapter has little in the way of armoured support, their homeworld not suited to the training with tanks. Due to this there is no armoury section to the chapter. Each company is its own stand alone force with its own techmarines to aid, repair and create the weapons their company needs. The Warhounds are also lacking in tactical dreadnought armour, unable to make it and given precious few suits upon the creation of the chapter. It does though maintin a number of dreadnoughts, allowing many of the chapters greatest hunters to continue to bring down the enemies of man even when maimed beyond repair.

The Warhounds compensate for their lack of armoured support and transports by making heavy use of drop pod assaults and there has also been unsubstantiated rumours that some of the chapter also make up for the lack of transport mobility by taming and riding some of the most dangerous beasts of Tashar to war.

The chapter master of the Warhounds is referred to as the Hunt Master and upon the death of the previous incumbent of the position a great hunt is held by the current eight captains of the chapter. The captain returning with the greatest prize is elevated to Hunt Master. He leaves his company allegiance behind and rules from the fortress on Tashars only moon, at which the Warhounds fleet is based. Advised by a council of the wisest Librarians of the chapter. At other times the Hunt Master will travel between each fortress lodge, sharing in their training hunts and forging bonds of loyalty between each company.

Beliefs

Gene-Seed
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Early version of my Warhounds that I took to a pretty big tournament [6 Games] - http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=725.0

Games against Necrons[Wraithwing] and CSM - http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=782.0

Up against that Necron Wraithwing again - http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=918.0

Against Flamer/Screamer spam Daemons - http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=925.0

Against Blood Angels - http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=990.0

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

So another game against the Wraithwing last night. The guy playing it is a mate of mine who had just played it at one of the biggest UK tournies of the year and got a respectable 3rd place with it [he would have got 2nd but lost some points on painting], he was also coming off a win against a GK force I was using to rep my old Arbite army and a win in a mirror match up at our club against exactly his list, I was coming off that loss and a loss in my last battle with this army against BA so I was a bit of an underdog going into this one.

His list was the usual wraithwing;

Dest Lord; Mindshackle, Warscythe, Semp Weave
Dest Lord; Mindshackle, Warscythe, Semp Weave
6 Wraiths;
6 Wraiths;
5 Wraiths;
Barge;
Barge;
Barge;
Night Scythe;
Night Scythe;
Night Scythe;
5 Warriors;
5 Warriors;
5 Warriors;
10 Immortals
; Guass

My list was the same as last battle although I was tempted to change things a little to try and get a wolfpriest in.

Powers; 4+ Ward, Prescience, Lightning, Jaws, Iron Arm, Leech Life. Gutted that I missed out on enfeeble and endurance again.

Traits; I got the redeploy D3 units D6 traits, he got re roll reserves.

Mission: Crusade[3]
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

Terrain: My place so my usual cityfight board.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Turn1:

I deployed virtually my entire army in a big piece of area ruins. The horde on the floor and the fangs in the multi storey building above them with my command squad behind it. This was right on top of an objective. I had my manticore hunkered down behind a little silo for some cover.

He steals the initiative which I am glad about as I had deployed out of maximum tesla range just in case and it meant I got to deploy how I wanted without him getting his flyers to drop off warriors late game for scoring without me getting to shoot them.

He advances with his immortals hanging back a bit to stay relatively near his objective [there is another about 15'' from the one I hold so its set up in my favour at this point].

I drop my pod in backfield on his objective, a big ruin is blocking LOS from most of his immortals to me and he only has a single wraith unit thats near to me and they dont have a lord, with that in mind I put my fire into these. I do a whole 1 wound..., knowing I could do with supporting them I put 8 missiles into them, I miss with 6, only wound 1 and he saves it. My manticore tries to redeem my shooting phase as my autocannons also fail to do anything, it gets 3 shots away 2 hitting the central barge and I also catch about 8 wraiths total, I kill a whole 1 and dont do anything at all to the barge. Bad first turn.

Turn2:

He gets all 3 flyers in, thankfully thanks to my pod squad being so close to his table edge only 1 can get a bead on them and the other two despite moving full are still not in range of anything else in my army. His 5 wraiths break  back towards my pod squad as do his immortals.

The rest of his force keeps moving towards the bulk of my army. My pod squad take his immortals and flyers shooting quite well losing only 1 to each. Then one of his barges declares its shooting at me despite me being almost directly behind it, he tells me that barges can shoot anywhere besides straight back with its main as its actually a turret weapon and only the little bit at the back stops it turning a full 360, his are glued so we couldnt test it. Didnt know they had such a good fire arc or I probably would have tried to melta that barge instead. It then opens up and kills 4 marines on its own, crippling my unit for the coming wraith charge.

He declares a charge and my overwatch does nothing at all, luckily he fails the charge though but now I have wasted my wolf banner without getting to use it in combat.

In my turn I fail to get my vendettas annoyingly but my other pod arrives to support the first, I figure 14 marines may deal with 5 wraiths and 10 immortals as the immortals still cant really see much of me. These along with the remaining 4 marines pour fire into the wraiths, 4 melta shots and 20 bolt shots only manage to finish the wounded wraith and kill 1 more.

I cast jaws on his necron [WAR]lord and he goes down netting me first blood and warlord. My lasguns and autocannons then also kill 4 wraiths from the unit with 99 las shots re rolling misses. My 8 missiles again do nothing though. I put my manticore into another barge and hit loads of wraiths around it from the other lords unit but I again fail to hurt the barge and only kill a single wraith.

Turn3:

His flyer that come on at a tight angle to get my pod squad leaves the table whilst the others get a bead on my manticore.

His 2 wraiths from his dead warlords squad start heading back to deal with my pod units. His other unit push up towards my manticore in case his flyers dont deal with it. His barges turn to shoot at my pod squads and gun a few down. His 2 flyers only manage to glance my manticore twice thanks to cover. His immortals shoot down a drop pod as he cant get a bead on my marines. His 3 wraiths charge my 2 guys remaining from my first pod squad and finish them off. His lord with wraiths fail a charge on my manticore.

My vendettas arrive but his flyers are too close to my table edge to hit.

I start to move towards the other objective so I have a choice of the horde taking the best one should it come to it and to get more lasguns into wraith range. I cast jaws, now I forgot to say that I failed living lightning in turn 1 on a double 6, I get another with jaws this turn and die but at least he isnt my warlord. I make up for it with first rank fire, second rank fire lasguns and my autocannons who when the dust settles and the missiles have contributed have dropped the lord and and all but one wraith.

The manticore shoots his immortals but only kills 2. My marines pour more fire into the wraiths and kill the 2 man squad. My vendettas then open up on the 3 strong wraith squad and 6 lascannon wounds are all saved.

Turn4:

His flyer returns whilst the other two leave the table. It again gets a bead on my pod squad and guns a couple down. The lord gets back up and he and his wraith close in on my manticore.

His barges open up on my vendettas and blow them away and my special weapon team die in the explosion.

His immortals get onto his objective whilst his 3 wraiths charge my 5 marines that are left and we fight a pretty even combat losing a few wounds each. His destroyer lord and wraith blow up my manticore.

My horde continues on towards the objective whilst my command squad jump on to mine should the horde need to take the other. The horde then shoot down the last wraith and the lord again. The missiles shoot some barges to no effect. I get the better of the wraiths and it leaves two grey hunters fighting a wounded wraith.

Turn5:

His immortals move towards my last two marines fighting the wraith as he cant afford me to get out of combat this turn and contest. His flyers move on, they drop warriors on the central[ish] objective whilst 5 stay in the one that was already on the table as it moves into formation with the other 2. His lord stays down and he unloads 6 tesla destructors into my horde and guns down about 20 to take me out of  contest range of that central objective.

His immortals charge my last 2 grey hunters and kill them with the loss of the last wraith but a bigger charge range than he expected and a poor consilodate actually mean he isnt holding his own objective with them.

I move up my horde and order run run run on the to contest  that central objective, I need a 3 and get it. My missiles frag the warriors whilst my primaris who left the squad at the start of the turn life leeches some. Leaving him just a few warriors.

It is currently 5-3 to me, we roll it, the game continues.

Turn6:

His flyers are now too close to do anything but leave the table. They do drop off 5 more warriors before they leave though. He kills my primaris and carries on shooting up my horde, if he kills my command squad he stops me denying him the central objective but knows he wont be able to stand up to my fire power to hold it anyway unless he thins me down so he hopes for turn 7 when he will have his flyers back.

I move the remains of the horde back into contest range of the central objective and they and my missiles kill off all but 1 necron warrior.

The game end.

Result: Warhounds win 5-3

Post Game Thoughts:

A few bad turns shooting had me worried but the horde pulled it out as they tend to do, getting frustrated by my wolf power rune priest though, thats 6 powers tried in 2 games, 4 on a double 6.
We rolled to see what would happen turn 7, he couldnt kill enough of the horde to stop them killing his last scoring warrior so the result would have been the same with 1 objective each. Its 2 in a row now in this match up for my warhounds but its always a tough game and all 3 have been very tight.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

I had a little game against a guy getting back into the game it was 1000 points and this is what I used;

5 Grey Hunters;
5 Grey Hunters;
Rune Priest
; Lightning, Jaws
Rune Priest; Lvl2
50 Guard; 3 Autocannon
Manticore;
Primaris;
Platoon Command
;

I was up against;

Lord Commissar;
30 Guard; 3 Lascannon, 3 Grenade Launchers
Platoon Command;
Chimera; Heavy Stubber
3 Armoured Sentinals; Multi Lasers
Leman Russ; HB's + Lascannon
10 Vets; 3 Grenade Launchers, Missile Launcher, Camo

Mission - Purge
Deployment - Hammer and Anvil

How it Went

Our hordes both bunkered down in big pieces of area terrain, I hid my other stuff. We had a fun little shoot out, I killed his sentinals and his chimera, I also got first blood for a total of 3, he got my lvl1 rune priest and was getting my horde pretty low by the end of the game but couldnt finish them.

Result; Warhounds win 3-1
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

I had yet another game against Wraithwing but it was at 1600 points as my mate had an inter club tournament coming up. It wasnt quite what he wanted to use as he had come first in the previous inter club tournament [his club winning the whole thing] and the other clubs complained about his list so for this they comped him [only 1 dest lord, only 2 flyers] although they didnt comp anybody else.

So this is what he used in his practice game against me;

Dest Lord; Weave, Scythe, Scarabs
Overlord; Weave, Scythe, Scarabs
5 Warriors; Volt Staff Cryptek
5 Warriors; Volt Staff Cryptek
10 Immortals; Veil of Darkness Cryptek
Barge;
Barge;
Barge;
Night Scythe;
Night Scythe;
6 Wraiths;
6 Wraiths;

I really struggled trying to cut 250 points from my list, I opted to make Guard primary.

Primaris;
50 Guard; 3 Auto, 3 Flamer
Rune Priest; Chooser
Rune Priest; Lvl2
Platoon Command;
Manticore;
10 Vets
;
Vendetta; HB's
Vendetta; HB's
10 Grey Hunters; 2 Melta, Banner,  Drop Pod
5 Fangs; 4 Missiles
8 Battle Psykers;

Mission - Scouring
Deployment - Vanguard Strike

The Game

Just a quick recap for this one. We were playing on my jungle table so there wasnt much LOS blocking terrain to hide my manticore or platoon command.

He let me go first so that he could take objectives late game. I drop my pod behind his lines but both meltas miss his barge. My manticore then kills a barge and 3 wraiths to make up for it, my missiles finish the other 3.

His first turns shooting only gets 3 of my fangs and his lords unit charges my grey hunters who with some good overwatch and attacks in combat manage to kill off 3 whole wraiths. I hold though when I would rather have ran.

In my second turn a vendetta arrives and I blow away both his other barges. I kill another wraith but lose my grey hunters.

He gets a flyer on that kills my manticore whilst the wraiths move towards me and his immortals with overlord move on from reserve.

I jaws down his lord and kill the other wraiths with lasguns as I make a move towards the objective worth 4 points whilst my command squad start running towards one worth 3. My second vendetta only takes a single hullpoint from his flyer.

Hs next flyer arrives and takes 2 hull points from one of mine. The rest of the game is me legging it to those 4 and 3 objectives. I should have tabled him turn 5 as both his flyers are off table waiting for a turn 5 objective steal, I blast down 4 immortals and then go to cast weaken resolve on them, they are on the table edge so would need a double 1 to stay on the table, I fail to get weaken resolve off! My vets do deepstrike out of their vendetta onto another 3 objective though leaving me on 11 points.

In his turn 5 he lets me have the 4 with my horde, he drops one warrior squad out to take one 3 objective, another to take the other and his immortals between the 2. He needs to shoot down my command squad and my vets and for it to end this turn for the win. He kills 2 of my command squad [going to ground in area terrain] and half of my vets [again going to ground in area terrain] but both pass their Ld tests. He is contesting both but it leaves the scores at 5-0 to me, we roll and the game ends but its a nothing roll anyway as I would blow his warriors away next turn if the game went on.

Result; Warhounds win 5-0 [4 for objectives and first blood]
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33