News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tau 'Lungfish' Scout Walker

Started by Lord Sotek, February 18, 2013, 06:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you take this unit in a Tau list?

No
0 (0%)
Not in a serious list; only for fun/novelty
3 (37.5%)
Yes
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Lord Sotek

As always, please let me know what you think! Opinions, suggestions, comments, and critiques are all welcome.

++++Pathfinder Scout Walker Squadron++++

+
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
The intelligence, coordination, and markerlight support offered by Pathfinder teams are utterly vital to the Tau way of warfare; a Shas'o without operational Pathfinders is effectively blind and deaf. Yet there are many environments in the galaxy, dense cities in particular, where gaining conventional Pathfinder support becomes troublesome. Vehicles such as Devilfish which Pathfinders typically rely on for transport and extraction often cannot effectively operate in such environments, if they can even access them at all. This both cripples a Pathfinder team's mobility by forcing them to move on foot, and isolates them from any extraction or fire support.

After witnessing Imperial Sentinels in action and analyzing the surprisingly sophisticated and nimble Gue'la contraptions' performance, the Tau knew they had their answer. The Lungfish entered production shortly thereafter; a swift, maneuverable, and compact lightweight walker that would allow Pathfinders to operate independent of external support units, providing each Shas'ui pilot appreciable protection against small arms fire and enough additional firepower to serve as their own extraction force.

Lungfish Scout Squadrons may be taken as Fast Attack choices in a Tau army list.
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+

Lungfish Scout Walker.........................................................40 pts/model
   FSRWSBSSIAHull
Lungfish Shas'ui
10 2 3 5 3 1 2

Unit Size: 1-4 Lungfish Scout Walkers     
Unit Type: Walker, Open-Topped      
Equipment:

• Long-barreled Burst Cannon
  • Markerlight
  • Blacksun Filter
Options:

• Each model may exchange its burst cannon for a Heavy Fusion Blaster or a Rail Repeater at +10 points.
  • Each model may take a single Seeker Missile or twinlink its Markerlight.....+10 pts
  • The squadron may take hardwired Targeter Arrays at +10 points per model.
  • One model may be upgraded to a Pathfinder Shas'vre at +10 points. The Shas'vre has a hardwired Positional Relay.

Special Rules:
  • Scouts
  • Move Through Cover

Transport:
None.

Long-barreled Burst Cannon: A heavier variant of the Tau Burst Cannon that uses a rotary array of pulse rifle mechanisms rather than Pulse Carbines, this burst cannon is no longer tau-portable but enjoys extended range and accuracy compared to its smaller, more ubiquitous cousin.
StrengthRangeAPType
30"
5 Heavy 3

Heavy Fusion Blaster:
StrengthRangeAPType
24"
1 Heavy 1, Melta

Rail Repeater: The famed Tau rail rifle actually has a magazine that can easily contain over a hundred rounds; the limiting factor that causes it to only see infantry use as a heavy sniper rifle is that it consumes an entire rifle powerpack with each shot. When mounted on a vehicle with a sufficient power source, a rail rifle becomes a fearsome semi-automatic cannon.
StrengthRangeAPType
36"
3 Rapid Fire, Rending
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Railgun Convention

Looks shiny. I was going to ask why anyone would ever take anything but the Rail Repeater, but then noticed it was only Rapid Fire, not Assault 3. Which would be frikkin' deadly.

I'm tempted to say, if it's supposed to deal with cityfights especially, Move Through Cover should be considered, if that applies to walkers. I'd also be tempted to up-range the fusion blaster a bit, seeing as Sentinels mount Multimeltas and some sort of competition would be nice, but that's probably just me :P
So how many crashes have I survived now?

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, a few things, replace searchlight light with Blacksun Filter. The Tau don't use searchlights , it gives away their position. Markerlights can do the same thing as searchlights, and you cant take a cover save against them.

My main question is though, why take this over a Tetra now they have updated rules, High Intensity Markerlights and great cover saves, and are unconcerned by Terrain? They are also alot faster, and they are tiny things, they wouldn't be concerned with things like cites.

I do like the model though, and the idea is sound. But personally, I would be more inclined to retool it as a Pathfinder specific light battle suit. Maybe an XV4 weight class and a shoulder mounted TL Markerlight.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Lord Sotek

Move Through Cover is a good suggestion, yeah.

You make a fair point about a 'long barreled' fusion blaster, but I'm not sure about putting it in. The Tau don't already have such a weapon anywhere, and I've already homebrewed two guns for the Lungfish, so I'm wondering if I should really be adding a third when there's a weapon that already more or less fits the bill...
Also keep in mind that the Lungfish is a Pathfinder unit- it's as much about markerlight delivery as actually shooting things. So it makes sense that the Lungfish has more limited firepower options than a Sentinel does.

Jayne: Blacksun filter's spot on the mark, I should have thought of that. Thanks.

Why take Lungfish when Tetras exist? Fun, variety, and Scouting/Outflanking markerlights with firepower. Potentially BS4 and/or twinlinked markerlights too. And if you take a full squadron, you have just as many markerlight shots as a Tetra, but more durability and significantly more firepower. Their roles partially overlap, but they still fill different niches.

Pathfinders in full on battlesuits just doesn't "feel" right to me; battlesuits are primarily frontline, heavy combat units and 'special operatives,' not reconnaisance. A chicken walker like a Sentinel or one of the Star Wars AT-RT's is functionally similar while still implying that Scout/Recon Unit feel.

Also, I added a poll to gauge people's opinions of the unit's playability. Hope you all vote  ;D
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

The Man They Call Jayne

Tetras can now fire a High Intensity Markerlight at BS4 with an Array. They can come it units of 5 aswell I think. The scout/outflank thing is handy, true. But the tetras gain a 5+ save for moving, and a 3+ with a DP. If these guys could take Shield generators or Shield Drones it might help balance that vunerablility to small arms fires. Or maybe give them Stealth?

I think it is the walker thing that doesnt sit right. The Tau tend to use Either antigrav units  or some kind of battlesuit. Like I said, the concept is fine, I just dont think it fits quite right as it is presented here.

Narric

I remember a similar unit made back in the day of Tau Online. They were called Squids then. I've tried to find a decent pic, but all I could find was an avatar, an I'm not going onto that site for anything short of reincarnation as god :P

I like your rules. Fleet is strange for an actual Tau model (Vespid are Vespid, not Tau ;)). The concept pic is also very cool .I could easily make a model based of it :D

Why the 1-5 unit size? is that based on Piranha squad size?

Also, what FOC does it go into? I can't see anything about that anywhere.

I'd hazard saying it should go into the elites section. But thats just Radical Inquisitor me :P

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Narric on February 18, 2013, 07:46:31 PM
I remember a similar unit made back in the day of Tau Online. They were called Squids then. I've tried to find a decent pic, but all I could find was an avatar, an I'm not going onto that site for anything short of reincarnation as god :P

I like your rules. Fleet is strange for an actual Tau model (Vespid are Vespid, not Tau ;)). The concept pic is also very cool .I could easily make a model based of it :D

Why the 1-5 unit size? is that based on Piranha squad size?

Also, what FOC does it go into? I can't see anything about that anywhere.

I'd hazard saying it should go into the elites section. But thats just Radical Inquisitor me :P

Glad you like it! I was actually inspired to make it because I recalled a neat conversion on the theme of "a Tau sentinel" a fair while back, though I can't remember where now. If I were to make a Lungfish, I'd probably work with the Sniper Drone Spotter plus Battlesuit parts for the core of the model.

Size is 1-4, because Tau are all about base eight. And it was intended as Fast Attack, sorry. I should have specified.
Fleet is simply because it's supposed to be a fast scout walker. With those chickenlegs and graceful Tau tech rather than clunky stomping Imperial sentinels, I imagine it could sprint fairly quickly over even terrain.

Waaaghpower

It looks a bit too squishy to me, considering it's Tau. Actually, it's really squishy and not too deadly. With just 1 gun per model and no close combat ability, it won't be dishing out much damage and it is really easy to kill with 10 av and 2 hull points.
The guns it has ARE pretty good, on the flip side, but that's all they have that seems really any good.

As for fluff: seeing as they are scouts, the markerlight is the only gear I think fits. I'd agree that giving it a cover save is important, too, either Stealth or something similar. I'd also consider weakening the guns and enhancing the markerlight somehow (if that's possible) to emphasize that they aren't there to fight, they are there to point out bad guys and then back off.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

The Man They Call Jayne

Give them the High Intensity Markerlight, Stealth Field Generator and limit the Squad size to 2. You will have to stay in cover to survive and you can put out alot of ML shots.

Charistoph

A few immediate points I can think of:

1) There already exists a Long-barrelled Burst Cannon, and it has better Stength and AP.  Currently it is only used on Flyers.

2) Most vehicle squadrons do not have a command upgrade, and those that do are Special Characters, but that's not the worst part.  The upgrade model implies a single wound model in carapace armour carrying a Pulse Carbine and Markerlight.  Call it a Lungfish Pathfinder to keep up the continuity.

3) Vehicle upgrades are not classified as Hard-Wired.  Hard-Wired is for Battlesuit gear that may take up a weapon or component slot.  This is not a consideration for Vehicles, so you can remove all such references.

4) I find it odd that a Combat Walker (which is a heavy battlesuit when all said and done) is Open-Topped.  They have the tech to provide good sensors for an enclosed pilot and it would provide for greater security for the pilot.  Just because the Imperium's Scout Walkers must rely on the Mark One Eyeball to see, doesn't mean the Tau's does not.

5) I am a little disappointed in the lack of other vehicle upgrades.  Target Locks would be almost standard kit, as would a Disruption Pod, if not the Stealth Field Generator as someone mentioned earlier.    Only the Sensor Spines would be useless (unless they granted Acute Senses as well).
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Darth Tall

The sketch looks cool - I'm not sure if you could still get them, but you might want to consider some of the old (& I mean really old) "curvy" IG sentinels for parts.

One thing - have you considered dropping the fire warrior alltogether & making them Drone units?  The stats would drop somewhat, but with their inability to be moved via Devilfish reducing their reusability - even with the heavier armour & improved mobility over a foot trooper, in fluff terms there's probably a greater chance of them getting blasted on the battlefield or left behind.  If so, you might consider allowing them to take or fitting them with Failsafe Detonators.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Ok, I don't know much about what weaponry etc is feasible for Tau to put on their scouts, I'll leave that to people who know what they're talking about. My main concern is that this thing is too cheap by some distance. Given that markerlights alone cost almost as much as one of these walkers and these guys come with them they really should be costing more. Throw in the fact that they have Fleet and Move Through Cover too and they should be costing around 60 in my opinion, if not more. Eldar War Walkers cost almost as much as this thing before they get their weapons and they don't get a Markerlight, to ignore Night Fight, Move Through Cover or Fleet from what I remember. That's a lot of extras you're getting for next to nothing.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on March 31, 2013, 04:48:49 PM
Ok, I don't know much about what weaponry etc is feasible for Tau to put on their scouts, I'll leave that to people who know what they're talking about. My main concern is that this thing is too cheap by some distance. Given that markerlights alone cost almost as much as one of these walkers and these guys come with them they really should be costing more.

Huwha? Last I remembered they were only 10 points for Firewarriors. I've only played Tau once or twice though, so I may well have goofed awfully here. I'm not really a Tau player and I don't have a physical copy of their codex.

QuoteThrow in the fact that they have Fleet and Move Through Cover too and they should be costing around 60 in my opinion, if not more. Eldar War Walkers cost almost as much as this thing before they get their weapons and they don't get a Markerlight, to ignore Night Fight, Move Through Cover or Fleet from what I remember. That's a lot of extras you're getting for next to nothing.

I'd considered making them 50 points each, base, but I had thought that might be too expensive for what they do. I referenced Scout Sentinels when I was making them, and those can take significantly better guns with a base cost of only 40.

The Man They Call Jayne

A Markerlight costs 10, a Marker Drone costs 30, although they are Networked. In the current dex at least. A points reduction on the drones will be coming up I am sure. Probably to 20.

Stats wise, this thing is around the same as an Ogryn overall, but gains an edge in range. Then any upgrades will definatly boost your cost and you will be taking them otherwise this will be bolt fodder. Anything S6 or higher, like Multilasers, Scatterlasers and Autocannons will chew through units of these like they weren't there.

40 points for the basic unit is probably ok. An argument could be made for 45, but realisticaly you are going to spend 60 on each for the better weapons and the boosted BS. Maybe if you started of with a Missile Pod you could start at 50-55. Sentinals with Autocannons cost around that I think?

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 01, 2013, 03:02:41 AM
A Markerlight costs 10, a Marker Drone costs 30, although they are Networked. In the current dex at least. A points reduction on the drones will be coming up I am sure. Probably to 20.
Ah right, my mistake. I thought they were 30 all round. :-\

Quote from: Lord Sotek on April 01, 2013, 01:14:39 AM
I'd considered making them 50 points each, base, but I had thought that might be too expensive for what they do. I referenced Scout Sentinels when I was making them, and those can take significantly better guns with a base cost of only 40.
I would still say around 50 until they've been playtested. It's always better to overcost initially than undercost because if you undercost there's a chance people might not want to play against them again. :P

I say 50 because even compared the the Sentinel you're getting the Markerlight and ignoring Night Fight. Plus you have the larger squad size (I think). Also, do Scout Sentinels get Flleet? I can't remember.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 01, 2013, 03:02:41 AM
Stats wise, this thing is around the same as an Ogryn overall, but gains an edge in range. Then any upgrades will definatly boost your cost and you will be taking them otherwise this will be bolt fodder. Anything S6 or higher, like Multilasers, Scatterlasers and Autocannons will chew through units of these like they weren't there.
It's closer to a Sentinel, as Sotek pointed out actually. :P

As for your argument about S6 and higher weapons, the same can be said for Sentinels, War Walkers, Vypers, Raiders and Venoms. They still cost what they cost and most of those, if not all, cost more than this with less benefits.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http