News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Project Log for stuffs.

Started by Osiris, February 19, 2013, 09:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osiris

So...hopefully I will keep using this project log. Im pretty sure I will keep using it, as long as I remember to paint and update.  :facepalm001:

I decided to do this model a bit differently...paint it while it was still on the sprue. In the end, I did some minor touch-ups after I put the model together. I will base it later.

I think it is one of the older marine sprues, like 4th edition or 5th. nothing fancy like resin...come to think of it, i only have 11 models in resin.  ;)

Spoiler

Competed model...well, for the most part. Pre-wash.
Spoiler

After wash..though I dont think my camera (on my phone) did a good job of capturing the difference...this is just the finals for the model.
Spoiler

Just another 100 models or so to repaint and stuffs...
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Narric

For future models, the arms of Space Marines are not paired that way. The arms are on the same bit of sprue, if you know what I mean.

The red looks good. A bit blotchy in places, but meh :P

Looking forward to see more minis from you.

Osiris

i was wondering what the problem was with the arms for the longest time.  :facepalm001:

thank you.
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Narric

Quote from: Osiris on February 19, 2013, 07:55:36 PM
i was wondering what the problem was with the arms for the longest time.  :facepalm001:

thank you.

It can be an easy mistake to make.

I've seen worse though. One Lad I introduced to the game used scout arms on his marines :P

Osiris

i may be using the wrong sprue then...i will look through my bits and see what is missing where. lol

well...those scout arms are kinda burly.    :P

----
i think i may go about stripping the paint off my other models tonight. as well as prep everything else to be painted starting tomorrow.
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Tempest Six Two

Looks good mate, Im assuming its a Devlan Mud wash from the pics of the paint pots?

My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

Osiris

thank you.

yes Tempest, I went with a Devlan Mud wash. would you recommend a different wash? that was the wash that was closest to me at the time of painting. haha
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Tempest Six Two

I can't really recommend one wash over another, as it really comes down to personal preference regarding the look you're after.

In my case I've been using Carroburg Crimson, which is great if somewhat 'stain' like- if you were to try it As a straight up wash I'd advise to water it down almost to a 1:1 with water. Seems to be how the new washes act. Have a look at my project log thread and you'll see what undiluted CC wash does.

Are you intending to revisit the mini to put more of the base red back on to give it more 'pop'? Either way, looking good so far!
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

Osiris

okay. i have been testing out different washes, and so far the devlan mud isnt to bad. i based my model white, and originally, the model had a lighter/brighter look to it, so i added a wash of red and then the brown.

as to continuing the model, i am thinking about touching it up, changing eye colour to blue/green (havent decided yet), painting the outer edge of one of the shoulders, and repainting the skulls gold.

i have been perusing your project log, as well as your blog. i think i posted before, but your models are amazing!

i will also be basing the model, maybe next week. im thinking a snow theme is in order for my BA army, mainly because they like blood...and blood shows well on snow.  :D

i am hoping to finish at least a squad of them by Friday sometime. and maybe get some pictures of partially built marines as well.

-------------------
off topic, i started a flames of war army. lol, and spent a little bit of time getting the models ready to be repainted (the generic colour that they have, olive drab and grey) are rather horrid. i will post pictures of my paints later. i have also made use of magnets so that the turrets on the tanks can swivel.

i wont be doing much tomorrow, maybe building some models/going over rules, so this will be my last picture update until friday! i am trying to keep this log alive this time. hahah

The models below are...i still have 3 more tanks to build to finish this kit off. and then a parachute rifle company.
Spoiler
3 Sherman V tanks. they have the short barrels.
2 Sherman Firefly tanks. they have the long barrels.
A 'platoon' of infantrymen.
3 MG (machine gun)
1 Mortar team.
1 Bazooka team.
15 riflemen.
1 RO (radio operator)
1 Officer
4 NCO (non-commissioned officers)

Pictures under this spoiler.
Spoiler

IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Osiris

no giant text block for this. and i hope what im doing isnt illegal.

i have gotten around to prepping my combat squad for painting...i may convert it to a sternguard squad or another DC squad. not sure...maybe assault. Lord knows i have the extra bits for the last...

below are 32 black primed Flames of War minis...maybe more/less. and 4 tactical (maybe assault) marines that will be added to my armies...and some of my paints... 

Spoiler

IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Narric

I've seen Flames of War in one of my Local model shop, though the scale kind of put me off :P

What are the paints like? cheaper/alternate choice to GW paints?

I've reckomend buying a cutting board. I can tell you, that cutting on a glass surface will ruin your blades.

I point for you future pics. include a width limitation in the IMG code, like this
[img width=400][/img]
It will reduce the size of your spoilers, and lets other people see more images at once. With the forums' coding, clicking the image brings it back to full size.

Osiris

Ah, thank you for the advice in regards to the width. I will try it out later on today.

The scale kind of put me off as well, but I had not noticed that the models had some decent detail on them. Also, painting them should be fairly easy as they are so small, if you make a mistake, its fairly easy to cover. 

As to the question of the paints for flames of war, I think I paid $3.50 for each one. I will be using them later on today, and will let you know how it goes. I don't know if it is cheaper as I haven't bought GW/Citadel paints in months...I try to make my paint pots last as long as possible, or when I buy them, I buy in bulk.

I try not to do my cutting on that table and if I have to cut things on that table, I put a cardboard or cork item underneath the area. I have not thought of using a cutting board though...I will have to try that next time. That may not be a great fix, but it does work okay. I've got another area where I do those things (usually), I will post a picture as well. The table is just where I organize everything. Helps me keep track of what I'm building or how many sprues I have that have items that need to be used.
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Osiris

i need to invest in a camera one day. the model does not look as bad in person. and those weird little blob things behind it are Flames of War minis. I should be done with them tomorrow...

I have the rest of that tactical marines squad in the process of being painted and put together. i am trying something different with them.

if anything i will try and take better pictures tomorrow. mainly because the orange does not stand out like that when you actually see the model.

Spoiler

IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Osiris

Spoiler

this isnt a finished product. all i know is that im keeping the gold portions...maybe not the pistol though. not to sure about that yet. trying to figure out what blue would match with that Ultramarines blue (current paints...since there is no such thing as ultramarines blue anymore).

IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Osiris

illegal posting? maybe...but still. new paint thingy happening.

my Lemartes WIP.

Spoiler

IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k