News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Terminator and Paladin loadouts.

Started by Saulus, March 27, 2013, 07:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saulus

I've always had a temptation to add Grey Knights as allies to my armies. With the twilight of online sales approaching I purchased 2 boxes of termies and power armour GK. I was thinking of making my HQ from one of the termies, making 4 paladins, and having a 5 man terminator troops squad. My power armour dudes I really liked the idea of Interceptors with psybolt (as points expensive as they may be).

But what I am confounded with is the terminator and paladin loadouts. I realize that they may require different gear depending on who they are allied with, but to be safe I want them to be a true detachment, in that I can essentially swap them into (veteran) Guard, (any type of) Blood Angels, or (mechanized) Eldar armies that I have. Each of them has their own flavour of objective holders and flankers. The Gk in each case would be the 'hammer'.

For the Paladins, I was thinking to go diverse. One apothecary to make them truly tough as nails, One hammer, one sword, one halberd? But I just don't know. I like the IDEA of having diverse pallys.

For the terminators I was thinking swords to get that nice 4++ in close combat (and a psycan of course). But are those halberds good to have around when something with furious charge comes around (or just to outclass other MeQs)? Should a couple have falcions to REALLY dice people up?

As you can see, this was not an attempt to make a terrifying list, but I don't want to be a pushover either... and want to get the most out of my GK allies.
No fear. No mercy. No matter what.

Chicop76

Not a fan of terminators. Especally terminators that die to str 10 ap 2 death. Hince why I think you hould always play a tank that can spit out death to units like that. Anyway the warding staff is useful for challenges. It's a force weapon and gives a +2 invulnerable save. I say just sapm psi-cannons like evryone does. Get the str 5 bolter upgrade and get the +1 attack banner. If you can master crafted str 5 shots is nice, can't remember if or if not.

Not a fan of paying almost 100 points for feel no pain. The unit is great if their is not pie platesof doom or an abundance of melta shots. The fnp can help against melta now. In the past I would say a waste of points. Now it gives survivability, buti could simply take two more terminators at that cost.

Anyway wish you luck.

Arguleon-veq

The best use of those models will be as 10 termies and a 10 man strike squad. You can always combat squad them if you need to. For the HQ I'm sure you've got something you can use as an inquisitor as he's probably the best bet for a HQ (making him a psyker for divination). Your squads should usually be loaded out like this;

10 Termies; 4 Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo, Banner, 5 Hammers, 5 Swords (put the Cannons on guys with Hammers).
You join your Inquisitor to them and your getting 16S7+12S5 shots a turn re rolled thanks to presience. That kind of fire is often enough to even bring down a flyer if you need to.

The strike squad should be;

10 Marines; 2 Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo, 2 Hammers.
They are a very handy scoring unit that put out great fire and are good in combat plus Warpquake is fantastic.

That gives you 2 very effective scoring units which will be fantastic allies for almost any army. If you wanted to you could go for the very popular inquisitor set up which is making him a psyker, giving him termie armour with a daemon hammer and psycannon which then makes it 20S7 from those termies but you would have to buy another termie.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on March 28, 2013, 11:06:02 AM
The best use of those models will be as 10 termies and a 10 man strike squad. You can always combat squad them if you need to. For the HQ I'm sure you've got something you can use as an inquisitor as he's probably the best bet for a HQ (making him a psyker for divination). Your squads should usually be loaded out like this;

10 Termies; 4 Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo, Banner, 5 Hammers, 5 Swords (put the Cannons on guys with Hammers).
You join your Inquisitor to them and your getting 16S7+12S5 shots a turn re rolled thanks to presience. That kind of fire is often enough to even bring down a flyer if you need to.

They are a very handy scoring unit that put out great fire and are good in combat plus Warpquake is fantastic.

That gives you 2 very effective scoring units which will be fantastic allies for almost any army. If you wanted to you could go for the very popular inquisitor set up which is making him a psyker, giving him termie armour with a daemon hammer and psycannon which then makes it 20S7 from those termies but you would have to buy another termie.

It's funny that when I pointed out this fact to my 8yr old son he said dad really??? Palladins cost 10 points more than DA terminators, and cand take 4 assault cannons rather than only taking 2. Also they can fire str 5 shots, strength 7 assault cannon, force weapons, str 10 hammers or str 5 attacks in combat, one guy can get a +2 invulnerable for challenges, and take a weapon that allows them to strike a I 6.

On the bright side son you have storm shields, and the GK term paladins 10 man squad cost rougly 75 points more than yours.

He told me in response " gheee daddy I should had played Grey Knights".

What got me is I was saying two purifier squads just counting the strength 7 assault cannons can dish out 32 strength 7 shots and 24 strength 5 shots, so even if you take storm sheilds, or in really good cover. That much fire power can wipe a 5 man terminator squad of the face of the planet.

Anyway I told him do not worry since Grey Knights cam out at the tail end of 5th the update will take awhile and it probably be years in 6th that you have to deal wit that.

He than said " so daddy you saying grey knight can out shoot me, ok. What about hand to hand???".

I told hime remember what I said about the 2 wound terminators, the Grey Knights can field a whole army like that, and the troops can have force weapons and at least take two assault cannons. Oh by the way their assault cannons can be used as assault 2 when they move.

My son than said" you didn't mention they have two wounds Daddy!!! How can I defeat that. They better than me in combat and shooting??"

That's why you do'nt even bother playing against it with your army son. Not saying it's unbeatable, but with DA against them it's doubtful you will win since they are you with better options. The only differance is you can take a few more vehicles and bikes, and they can take a huge MC that re roll hits and wounds.

Also so look on the bright side. People are willing to play against DA and are not willing to play Grey Knights.

Saulus

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on March 28, 2013, 11:06:02 AM

I doubt that many PsyCans come with the Terminators though right? How do I get 4 anyways, it says 1 for every 5. Or are you saying use them as 10 paladins and keep the strike as the troop?

I suppose having an inquisitor HQ not only allows for more de facto terminators, but economizes the HQ. So Malleus as well? As well, getting a single more terminator (when not a grey knight 'pattern') is possible, I can cannibalize a blood angel on 'easily'.

The strike squad may not be needed for scoring purposes. I love my troops in every other army so I might need to scrounge my allies for that sort of thing. That's why I want that blinky interceptor squad. But I'll try both once they are assembled, and the packs will be removable etc.

This configuration should come in a bit cheaper indeed. I just shy away from Inquisitors because they seem so strange, but perhaps a termie hammer psycan one would be a good fire booster.
No fear. No mercy. No matter what.

Arguleon-veq

Ah yeah its 2 cannons on termies, thats still the best option though. You could always convert a psilencer onto your spare blood angel termie for the inquisitors psycannon.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33