News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Rainbow Orks (Expansion of 'Red Paint Job')

Started by Waaaghpower, March 29, 2013, 05:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

So, while I like the fluff behind red paint job, I feel like it leaves a big hole in ork fluff. According to fluff, red things aren't the only paint based boost: Yellow things explode bigger, blue things are luckier, purple things are sneakier. So why don't these rules exist? For that matter, why can't boys paint their shoes red? (Also, isn't just 1 inch a bit flimsy?)
I don't know exactly how it would work, or how many points upgrades would cost, but here's some proposed changes:
(Only one paint type per model or squad, but can be taken on most units.)
Red paint job: costs more, but grants 1 additional inch PER 6" moved. So a fast vehicle could get 21" movement, a red dakkajet could go 42".
Yellow Paint Job: (this one'd be pretty expensive, or possibly have a cost related to the number of guns) Gives +1 strength to all guns mounted. (Seems a bit too strong for me, but I'm unsure how to tobe it down.)
Blue paint job: When taking any kind of damage,  on a 6+ it is ignored. (Essentially a 6+ invuln that can be rolled along with armor or feel no pain, but also works for hull points or other kinds of wounds.)
Purple paint job: Grants the Stealth special rule.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

The Man They Call Jayne

Make Yellow Paint Job give mounted guns rending. That could work. Or all rolls to wound of a 6 count as 2 wounds. Or something similar to the Tesla rule from the Necron codex.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Waaaghpower

Rending! I didn't think of that! A good, effective buff without over powering it. (Can you imagine 60 boys with s5 shootas? I just knew that would be too strong...)

Waaaghpower

This is just for boys and battlewagons, but how's the official rules and points look on this one?
Red Paint Job:
   Battlewagons: Adds 1" free movement per 6" moved with no penalties. 10 pts.
   Boys: Adds 1" movement, and an additional 1" to run movement and assaults. 1 pt. Per boy.
Yellow Paint Job:
   Battlewagon: Gives every mounted gun, and every gun fired by transported models, the rending special rule - 15 pts.
   Boys: Gives Shootas and Sluggas the Rending special rule. 1 pt. Per boy.
Blue Paint Job:
   Battlewagon: Whenever a hull point is lost or damage taken, roll a die. On a 6, the hull point is not lost/damage not taken. 15 Pts.
   Boys: Grants a 6+ invulnerable save. 1 pt. Per boy.
Purple Paint Job:
   Battlewagon: Grants the Stealth special rule if the Battlewagon moves less than 7". 10 pts.
   Boys: Grants the Stealth special rule if Boys did not run.

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Waaaghpower on March 29, 2013, 09:51:10 PM
Rending! I didn't think of that! A good, effective buff without over powering it. (Can you imagine 60 boys with s5 shootas? I just knew that would be too strong...)

60 boys with S5 shootas is an ugly and unbalanced prospect.

60 boys with s4 Rending shootas is a complete and total game-breaking nightmare. That's ten Rending shots a turn when you play the averages, and three rending hits practically guaranteed by the law of average. With the possibility for this to scale up anywhere to the full 60 rending hits.

Rending hits can Wound anything with toughness. It counts as AP 1. It adds +D3 to armor penetration. With these averages, you throw down so many of them that your cheap mob of Ork Boys can reliably wipe entire units off the board with a mediocre to decent round of shoting. Tac squad? Gone. Transport? Gone. Terminators? Gone due to volume of fire and the likelihood of forcing them down to their 4+ save. Wraithlord, the single most durable model in the -entire game-, more or less assured to be gone in one or two rounds of shooting. And unlike other uber-firepower units, this one has So Many Ablative Wounds that it simply cannot be taken out quickly by any reasonable means. A leman russ has less firepower than this, and you can blow one of those up completely with a single lucky shot.

There is literally nothing short of Land Raiders and Monoliths that S4 Rending massed on that scale can't kill, and everything that isn't an AV 14 vehicle, they will punch through like it was made out of tissue paper. Two maxed squads of Boyz with rending would probably stand a decent chance of taking any given 1k point list out entirely by themselves.

And as you've priced it? For +60 points beyond their base cost.

May I stress how incredibly thoroughly you have not thought this through.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Waaaghpower

Hey, take it easy. It's not like Matt Ward is reading this. How about, for boys, on a 6 it akways wounds and counts as +2 AP?

Begel Dverl

Quote from: Waaaghpower on March 29, 2013, 05:54:36 PM
So, while I like the fluff behind red paint job, I feel like it leaves a big hole in ork fluff. According to fluff, red things aren't the only paint based boost: Yellow things explode bigger, blue things are luckier, purple things are sneakier. So why don't these rules exist? For that matter, why can't boys paint their shoes red? (Also, isn't just 1 inch a bit flimsy?)
Actually, there is an Ork short story from an Ork's perspective, in which the Kommandos were given red boots to make them go faster.

Osiris

i say instead of adding strength to yellow, make it a reroll for ones on shooting phases.
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Osiris on March 30, 2013, 06:10:56 AM
i say instead of adding strength to yellow, make it a reroll for ones on shooting phases.
The problem with that is fluff. Yellow doesn't make you more accurate or fire more shots, it makes the shots more boomy and rippy. Maybe rerolls on one just to wound instead?

Wargamer

Remember that you are dealing with abstracts here. Yellow does not literally have to convey some kind of explosive ability, it just has to be better from a mechanics perspective. My preferred approach would be to allow the unit to re-roll all 1s to hit with shootas and sluggas in a unit with Yellow Paint Job. Note the weapon limitation; no Big Shootas, Rokkits or anything else, just their base guns.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Arkitek

I don't know exactly how it would work, or how many points upgrades would cost, but here's some proposed changes:
Red paint job: costs more, but grants 1 additional inch PER 6" moved. So a fast vehicle could get 21" movement, a red dakkajet could go 42".
Yellow Paint Job: (this one'd be pretty expensive, or possibly have a cost related to the number of guns) Gives +1 strength to all guns mounted. (Seems a bit too strong for me, but I'm unsure how to tobe it down.)
Blue paint job: When taking any kind of damage,  on a 6+ it is ignored. (Essentially a 6+ invuln that can be rolled along with armor or feel no pain, but also works for hull points or other kinds of wounds.)
Actually wouldn't a red dakkajet be able to move 43" because 42" is divisible by 6? (:P)
"Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Arkitek on May 18, 2013, 10:31:48 PM
Actually wouldn't a red dakkajet be able to move 43" because 42" is divisible by 6? (:P)
No. 36 times 1/6 is 6. Add 6 to 36 and you've got 42.