News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

2v2 Tyranids^2 Vs. Blood Angels and Imperial Guard - 3000 points.

Started by Saulus, April 01, 2013, 07:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saulus

After my last game against my Nid buddy, he definitely wanted another game, but requested I not play my Eldar as Runes of Warding Seers bugged him greatly. Also, a couple other friends wanted in so I figured I'd use my wealth of armies to get a 2v2 going on: mine and my buddies Tyranids against my Imperial Guard 22nd Catachan AirCav and some Blood Angel novelties.

Again, This game was largely introductory as the other two guys have not played in YEARS. So I'll go over my impressions of what units did well, what worked, what didn't, and show some pictures of the fight along the way.

22nd Catachan - It's been a long time coming,

CCS: 4x plasma with commander having a plasma pistol, because plasma
-Chimera with multilaser and Heavy Bolter

Stormtroopers: 7 with 2 flamers
Stormtroopers: 7 with 2 grenade launchers

PCS: 4x flamers
-Chimera with Heavy flamer turret and heavy bolter
Infantry squad: Sniper Rifle and Lascannon
Infantry squad: Sniper Rifle and Lascannon
Heavy Weapons Squad: 3x Heavy bolters
Heavy Weapons Squad: 3x Missile launchers

Veterans: 3x meltaguns

2x Vendettas (not in a squad)
2x Valkyries: heavy bolter sponsons, Multiple rocket pods, and multilaser (with flamer stormtroops and melta vets)

Blood Angels:

Epistolary Libby

Libby Dread

5x Assault Terminators: one SS and TH
Sanguinary Priest

Assault Squad: 2x plasma rifles, Powerfist, combat shield Drop pod
Tactical Squad: plasma cannon, meltagun
Scouts: camo cloaks, sniper rifles and a missile launcher.

Baal Predator

Land Raider

Here is the corner we deployed in. As you (may) see my valks are on the floor in reserves

The Tyranids I'll pose as a single list, bear in mind it was still 2 lists with their own FOC.

Flyrant with armoured shell, 2x TL-brainleech worms (A specific request by the player, even though I suggested against this 300 point model)
Tyranid Prime with lash and bone, Scything talons, tocin sacs and adrenals.

Zoanthrope with Mycetic Spore

Tyranid Warriors, 4x deathspitters venom cannon, all with scytals.
Tyranid Warriors, 3x rending claws and scytals (with prime)
Tyranid Warriors, 2x deathspitters, 1x venom cannon.
30 gaunts
30 MORE gaunts
20 EVEN MORE Gaunts
18 Hormagaunts with adrenals and toxins
16 hormagaunts with adrenals and toxins
2 squads of 8 genestealers with scything talons, one with broodlord

2x BoomFexes :Stanglethorn and Scytats
Trygon
Trygon Prime
Mawloc

The Tyranids BARELY fit into deployment. Some arrived by deepstrike anyhow. The table not being the right size, we deployed using table corners

To keep things simple, we gave one objective to each person to place, and the paper represented ruins.

Imperial Guard highlights:

Plasma Hotheads (CCS): Contrary to their nicknames they did not die from the heat. At the same time they rarely got into a position to be truly effective. I guess its a first world Guard problem, but the big bugs did not get close enough due to the amount of lascannons. Arguably the chimera ended up doing more damage (killed a handful of gaunts).

Stormtroopers: These guys do it again! The GL guys infiltrated in and started the blasting right away, taking out decent amounts of gaunts per turn. When the Trygon and Mawloc arrived they turned their focus there for a couple wounds each. The flamer guys cleaned out a few hormagaunts of their own before mounting back up due to lack of targets. Some people may find them overpriced, but I have yet to regret stormtrooper inclusion. Actually, I usually field MORE.

Living Volcano (PCS): the chimera got immobilized right away, but luckily (?) some genestealers appeared on the flank to chew up the Missile team and were dispensed. they had a tough time in cover and didn't move up the field much, but ordered themselves to at least claim an objective later on. Flames always have a place in games, just losing that chimera early cost them a lot of mobility.

Infantry (lascannon and snipers): A decent firebase, and man were they on fire this game. I got perhaps one miss on the lascannons. So they put that crucial final wound on the Hive Tyrant, Carnifex and hurt the Mawloc badly.

The heavy weapons teams did what they do best. The missiles were particularly useful, taking out the odd warrior, and fragging out a good amount of gaunts. The heavy bolters were not in the greatest spot, and were eaten by the mawloc entirely upon its arrival.

The flyers were indomitable. I was not using the flyer rules for them even (only treated as fast skimmers as the Nid army was not AA prepared). The vendettas combined fire downed MC after MC then turned to the warriors and wiped them out. Valkyries in this game were of course crucial against the raw number of gaunts arrayed against us. But I imagine next game he will ask i do use so many of them, really no answer for them if reserves go poorly for him.

The Librarians were again a special request by my buddy (really likes psykers). They were fine supporting with unleash rage etc. but once in the shadow the libby lost a total of 2 wounds, and the dread one hull point. Eventually he ceased using psychic powers, was just to risky with the warriors about. As the pic shows though, ya don't need to be psychic to crush a mob of gaunts.

The terminators mostly underperformed suffering from some poor rolls. The TH termie did some serious work though, crushing warrior after warrior with that instant death.

The Baal pred was another interesting request (I cobbled that thing together especially for this game). It scouted to a great position got a few good rends in on a carnifex for the assist. Ultimately the hormagaunts glanced it to death, not sure if it was worth fielding or not. Perhaps with a flamestorm cannon!

The scouts were another surprise. Those camo cloaks paid off BIG TIME saving them for the longest time from any harm while giving modest support. They even got a lucky headshot in overwatch on a warrior, but then the Prime cleaved them to pieces....

The Tyranids

The BIGGEST problem the Nids had this game is largely related to this:

They got bottlenecked. Not just on the board, but in reserved. The diced decided that they only got at most 2 units at a time. Allowing the guns ample time to focus down threat after threat. The Hive Tyrant took out some assault marines sure, but then the Platoon, and Vendetta wiped him out. The Mawloc ate some platoon members and the Heavy bolters, but quickly died. The trygon Zapped the HELL outta a Vendetta, but the combined fire from the assault squad, land raider and other vendetta focussed him down too. Just could not get that 'critial mass' off threats to get anything done.

That being said the hormagaunts did a TON of work. The adrenal toxin combination is always a nasty thing on these guys. Not having assault grenade equivalents is bad, but for the points they cost they sure tore up the Imperials.

The Mawloc made his first appearance (finally settled on a base for him, although not complete). It hit a good target, took it out. But then as mentioned could not 'get away' fast enough.

When the Zoanthrope landed it tried to take out the land raider, pen'd fine, but rolled poorly, just shaken... Could have changed the game right there.

The game ended with the Imperium holding 3 objectives with the assault squad, PCS and Melta Veterans. And the Nids holding the last with the mob of gaunts (the furioso just could NOT kill the gaunts fast enough to get there and contest).

So since last game I am starting to think that Nids actually have have it pretty damn rough in 6th edition. I mean maybe they need a Tyrranofex or something. Maybe there was too much in reserves for them. Basically, of one more unit would have made it through, thats a dead guard squad, or a tied up marine squad, allowing for further Nid rushers to get there.

EDIT: Image modification, not sure why its fighting me so hard.
No fear. No mercy. No matter what.

BigToof

By all the great Orky gods, I let this sit HOW long without a reply?

Shame, shame on me!

:)

Loved the rep.  Big games are wonderfully fun and it looked like the Tyranids were just massive in scope, but you handled yourself very, very well.

(Or so it seemed...)

Would love to see more, and yes, karma'd!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Saulus

Hey Toof! yea, my friends group is trying to get back in the swing of things. I actually did not get any pics of my last game where I got around to getting some proper terrain (not pieces of paper that said 4+). The Red Nid's buddy heard about the game and wanted to give it a shot.

There were plenty of nids, I mean I could have possibly double the amount, but like I said it was a learning/having fun process first and foremost. But guard are just so damn strong... In my last game I made a couple guard lists for my buddies that did not involve ANY flyer-like-things. Was much more fun and gritty/close up, and was a draw. Again my The Red Nid asked for a veto on Eldar. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll have my Orks ready, but I am taking their painting very seriously, its slow going....

ANYWAY, glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the cookie.
No fear. No mercy. No matter what.