News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

interceptor drones fire at what ballistic skill?

Started by knightperson, April 25, 2013, 03:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightperson

When they're detached from the sunshark it's obvious that they use their own profile, but what about while attached? The rules for other drones are clear that they are basically passengers and fire as such, but it's not quite so clear-cut with the sunshark. The fluff section states "Interceptor Drones can either stay attached to the Sun Shark where they act as turret-mounted weapons" (emphasis mine), which suggests that they should use the sun shark's ballistic skill and count against the 4 weapons that a flyer is allowed to fire. However, I don't see anything in the rules section to support this.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

The Man They Call Jayne

As Drones I would say they use their own BS. Looking at other Tau Flyers, the drone weapons have always been BS2. All the Burst cannons on the Manta, the two on the Tigershark and the 'Cuda, all use a drone profile.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Railgun Convention

You say that about the previous aircraft, but GW proper hasn't given a lot of thought towards FW fliers. Also, "where they act as turret mounted weapons" indicates that their droneness is all but forgotten whilst they are attatched. Plus, it shouldn't be too hard for a drone to patch into its parent's targetting system when attatched.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

The Man They Call Jayne

Also valid reasoning. I suppose then as "turret mounted weapons" they would be patched in to the Sunsharks Targetting Array untill they detatch. They would presumably have to fire at the same target though as any weapon on the Sunshark though, not counting the Bomb.

Cammerz

I'd look at page 33;
QuoteAttached Drones - Whilst attached to the vehicle, drones are treated as embarked passengers... while they are attached they can make shooting attacks as if they were passengers shooting from Fire Points...

This makes me thing that they're BS2, not using the vehicle's BS3, which is a shame and it'd be nice if GW did make it clear in the FAQ (and even nicer if they decided that I was wrong).

The Man They Call Jayne

But the unit entry does specifically seem to counter that point.

Cammerz

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 25, 2013, 08:56:50 PM
But the unit entry does specifically seem to counter that point.

The fluff section maybe, but not the actual rules parts.
Page 48
QuoteInterceptor Drones can disembark at any point during the Sun Shark's move...

And then Page 102 which doesn't list the Interceptor Drone as wargear on the Sun Shark, it is listed as a seperate model in the unit which begins each game as an embarked passenger and embarked passengers always use their own ballistic skill.