News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Second Sphere Campaign – Storm of the Centaurus Arm

Started by Narric, May 10, 2013, 08:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Great Power has revealed itself in a distant planetary system, far off in the Centaurus Arm of the Galaxy. The local and technologically regressed populace of the world are fearful of the power, and those that would seek to possess it. This new power calls out to every race in the galaxy, hooking onto the wishes of each mind it entices. The Tyranids see an unlimited foodscource, the Orks a powerful and worthy foe. In the Imperium, wild rumours spread of the return of the God emperor, pointing to the strange visions of light. Every human afflicted points to the same poit in the cosmos, and this disturbs the High Lords of Terra. In the Tau Empire, Aun'va awakens from a troubled meditation, to declare a crusade to capture the power to hide it from those that would use it unwisely. The Eldar of the Craftworld Alaitoc are shaken in their minds, and the wraithbone of their city-ship vessels calls out.

Every race is called, and every race is compelled to answer. No world shall go unsearched, and no enemy allowed to continue searching, until the mysterious power is controlled by a single force.

Felt like trying to start a Vassal Campaign :P I curse my brain for having ideas like this XD

My idea is for a Six Round Pts based Campaign. After the six rounds, the Player with the highest points total wins the Campaign (with an obvious 7th round if we have a tie).

Using Vassal, this allows players to try out unusual army lists, without the need to purchase models, and means we can have a truly international Campaign running.

Rules
- Every game MUST have an observer. Their job is to keep track of vital notes (such as Chaos Boons, and Mutations), as well as acting as the one responsible for ensuring normal game rules are followed. This'll more-than-likely be me, but obviously I work now, so I'm more than welcoming to any volunteers to step in ^_^
- For the First round, armies are limited to: 1 HQ, 0-1 Elites, 0-1 Fast Attack, 0-1 Heavy Support, and 1-3 Troops.
- The First Round is a 750pt game.
- From the Second round, normal FOC applies.
- From the Second round, Players gain 500pts to add to their respective armies. (so 1st=750pts, 2nd=1250pts, 3rd=1750pts, etc)
- You gain points from games according to the table below.

Points Table

ConditionReward Points
- Winning a Game3pts
- Completing the Primary Mission Objective2pts
- Completing any Secondary Mission Objectives1pt
- Drawing a game1pt
- Outnumber the Opponent by Model Count1pt
- Outnumbering the Opponent by remaining Model Costs1pt
Finish a game without losing any "Character" Models1pt

Oh, and I'll be keeping the Missions for each round a secret until the Campaigns starts up ;)
Don't want you guys tailoring your lists for the first round ;)

Anybody in need of Vassal, or the Version 6 Module, send me a PM.

Look forward to seeing who will be interested in this ^_^

Oh, and if someone wants to or can write a better "Backstory" to this campaign, feel free to do so, and send it to me :P

Railgun Convention

This sounds like fun. And as it's online, I'll be able to take part :P
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Narric

W00T first person to be interested :P

Railgun Convention

Just a thought - any specific sizes, or can we choose whatever size battle seems appropriate?

Narric

Oops, should've known I'd forget something.

1st Round is 750pts, and it goes up by 500pts per round, so by round 6, Everybody will have 3250pts to play with, and if we go to a Tie-breaker, I'm feeling like it should be 4000pts to make it trully epic ;)

I'll go add it into the OP.

Waaaghpower

I'm interested, though I have a question: For the 3250 game (and potential 4k,) is Apocalypse allowed? It's designed for games of 3k+. I don't expect it to, just felt like asking...
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

The Man They Call Jayne

For those of us who don't have it, were can we get a valid 40k vassal module?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

DEF Knight

i am interested in this, though ive never used vassal before, would need to get all the modules and such, and haven't played using 6th ed. rules yet :/

The Man They Call Jayne

Every 40k module I have seen has been no longer availiable. Otherwise I would love to give this a go.

Mabbz

I downloaded it yesterday, here are the links:
For Vassal itself
For the 40k module
How to install the module

Having said that, I was quite confused by trying to actually use it (I tried to set up an offline game against myself), so does anyone know a good tutorial for it? If I can figure out how to use it, I might pledge my guard to the fight.

Narric

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 10, 2013, 11:02:03 PM
I'm interested, though I have a question: For the 3250 game (and potential 4k,) is Apocalypse allowed? It's designed for games of 3k+. I don't expect it to, just felt like asking...
I think I'll leave that up to the players. Some people may not have the rules for Apoc, so would just use the Double FOC with Standard 40k rules.

In terms of teaching Vassal, thats most likely going to be the biggest problem. I've played a few games myself with it, and once you get the idea of how things work, it becomes much more friendly. It also does require players to near constantly comunicate, and is why I decided to make an Observer mandatory, for both keeping the rules in check and, if its me, to act as a guide on how to actually play Vassal 40k.

I'm counting five people with intewrest, which is so awesome ;D

Tom

Quote from: Mabbz on May 11, 2013, 08:34:34 AM
Having said that, I was quite confused by trying to actually use it (I tried to set up an offline game against myself), so does anyone know a good tutorial for it? If I can figure out how to use it, I might pledge my guard to the fight.

I had that trouble when I last had a look at Vassal. This might help but I haven't watched it all the way through - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RSgMV8Ls3l4#!

Also wish I had time for this campaign. I hope if it goes ahead you'll post up the battles blow by blow.

Railgun Convention

If anyone needs help learning Vassal, I may be able to help. Though I may need help getting the hang of 6th edition having not played it yet.

Narric

Will this be all the Members wishing to participate?

If so, then maybe some should/could start some practice games with RC?

I can make up a couple bland army lists using Old Tau, New CSM, Black Templar and Imperial Guard, if people want to practice against me. Just make sure to send me a note with dates and times you'll be able to game.

I'll do a quick tally of numbers, and make a short list of who is facing who in the first round, and we can take it from there ^_^

One thig I'm surprised no one has mentioned is any sort or "Prize" for the Winner. Curently, I was just thinking of maybe a Custom Award Seal for the winner, and I could try and coerce the Moderation team to gift Karma for everyone that participated :)

The Man They Call Jayne

" the Moderation team"

Please enjoy Warhammer 40'000 responsibly.

:P