News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

How do Space Wolves deal with the new Tau?

Started by BigToof, May 12, 2013, 02:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
Just a quick post with a question and thoughts:

How do Space Wolves deal with the  New Tau?

I had a recent game with my SW/IG list that is mostly footsloggers with a side of horde, and although the IG part didn't do too bad, the SW side just got almost entirely erased.

I didn't know how to deal with a Marker'O (Shas'O w/mass Marker Drones) giving out lights for another Shas'O with Plasma Crisis suits that were just erasing squads by the handful.

Granted I know that this combination isn't exactly cheap, but I couldn't touch them with anything in my army and I'd like to have some kind of counter in case this shows up again (I get a feeling it'll be quite often).

I was thinking perhaps:

1.  Drop Pod with suicide Jaws unit
A bit worrisome as Jaws is kind of hit or miss, but I2 could swallow up some of those plasma XV-8s, but the squad will be SO dead the next turn.

2.  Whirlwind
I know it sounds crazy, but some AP4 barrage hits would be nice to reduce the Drones and thus hurt the entire army.  Bad point?  Well... it's a whirlwind.  Not much help against anything Imperial.

3.  Disposable Fenrisian Wolves
I've thought about this one, as they could tie up the Crisis Suits and they're dirt cheap for a harrassing unit.  I don't know if they'd win combat though as 3+ armor is a bit of a thing to get through.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this problem?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

pepsi

Crisis suits are clumsy, a good amount of str 4 attacks will get the best of them (looking at 6 attacks from three of them, of which half will miss most of the time). Wolves have to get there though.

Weapon I always hated were templates. Suits go down fast when str 8 weapons are involved. Autocannons, krak missiles, and demolishers in my opinion (armor 13-14 we have to respond to with fusion blasters). I can take a hit or two from conventional weaponry, it's the high end stuff that makes up for it.

www.rgdgaming.com, Helping You Find Cool Toys, Anime Movie Memorabilia, PC Games and Comics.

The Man They Call Jayne

The think to be careful of now with Drop Pods in Interceptor units. You Pod lands, the thing that does Jaws gets out and then gets blasted by Missiles/Plasma/Heavy Railrifles/Whatever.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Heres a link to a Space Wolf blog. I'm sure it has some interesting point about combating Tau.

http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.co.uk/

BigToof

Thanks for everyone's help.
I think I'll try the drop pod first and see how that goes...

Not sure where I'll get the points, I may have to get rid of my Russ, as it's been helpful but well... not as much as the rest of my army and also it's the only tank.  Rarely gets blown up, but limited mobility, y'know.

As for missiles, I'm a bit hesitant in 6th, as it's not as useful without a low AP, and a lot of things I usually want to pop are in cover.

But it'll be next on my list after the pod.

I've... had iffy luck with pods, so I'll have to see how things go.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

I wouldn't worry about intercepter too much. The new codex limits options more than the older codex. The only unit I see really worth taking it is crisis suits. I am liking target lock on broadsides although most is taking skyfire or intercepter on that unit.

I might add an intercepter broadside unit since they can dish out decent fire power. Even still you are limited. Even with the riptide pie plate of doom. You run the risk of blasting your own troops.

Unless they have a unit like 3 crisis suits with 6 plasma rifles the intercepter isn't a big problem. A potential of 12 plasma shots can ruin a deep strikers day.

I think deep striking and mass pie plates is the way to go. Also you want to let him go first, so you can see how he deploys and respawn t it. Deep strike on his weak side while using the pods as cover. Have your whirlwinds get rid of his pathfinders in cover. Whirlwinds are great for pathfinder killing.

Jaws can hurt the Tau and your initial rapid fire shots should take out a few fire warriors here and there.

I think the wolves and cheap thunder calv would be a good ideal as well. The hammerhead is the only mode that can instant kill the thunder calv. Also how quickly they can get across the board means they can soak up fire that could be meant for your deep striking units.

If deep strike assault is optional I would try to come on the second turn, so your fast attack and deep striking units can work in unision.

Well anyway. It might be better to deep strike first turn for drop pod cover saves. Kill the pathfiders and drones with your whirlwinds, and have your fast element use the pods as cover on their advance. It might be possible that he pods and units poping out of the pods will block line of sight.

Taking bikes has come to mind as well. Might not be a bad ideal since they can move 36" in one turn.

Arguleon-veq

I think suicide jaws pods are the best bet, I actually think its one of the very best things in the game for dealing with Tau right now.

Say you take 9 Grey Hunters with a Melta in a Pod along with a Jaws priest, you can simply drop to the flank or behind the drones. Your bolters eat up all those drones whilst your jaws and melta have a good shot at popping the Shas'O.

A second Jaws priest in your Guard Horde can then pop the other Shas'O then your missiles can go to town on those XV8's.

I still really rate long fangs with missiles. They out range those missile broadsides, which is very important and despite the 2+ save when you put enough missiles at them they still go down. They smash tau commanders [without a 2+ save] and XV8's. They are also great for instant killing wraiths and for dealing with double flying tyrants or double flying deamon princes.

Plus you cant go wrong with a couple of jaws in the list as its not only great against Tau, its also great for killing Necrons and killing Nid Tervigons.

Ive played against new Tau 4 times so far and im a poor 1-3 but two of those games I had very few Wolf elements, in the other two I tabled the Tau in a few turns and despite losing thanks to first blood in the other I wiped out the vast majority of the Tau for very few losses and most of that was down to long fangs and jaws.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33