News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

1250 Tyranids

Started by Arkitek, May 14, 2013, 04:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkitek

So I wrote this to fight one of either Tau, Dark Eldar, or Chaos with possible Daemons detachment.

Fortifications are allowed.

For precisely 1247 points;
1× Hive Tyrant (Leech Essence, Psychic Scream, Indescribable Horror, implant attack, toxic miasma, wings)
1× Parasite of Mortrex
3× Ripper swarm (tunnel swarm)
2× Lictor
22× Gargoyle (adrenal glands)

The general strategy is to interrupt the Tau shooting by dropping rippers near his lines. I split them into small units to waste as much firepower per turn as possible. The parasite is just meant to bring more rippers on the table by killing Fire Warriors and Eldar in melee. I don't see it being terribly useful against Chaos, but it will be pretty funny to see it multiply against the other two. The Lictors will attempt to kill any Ethereals the tau player brings (and boost my reserves rolls), and the Tyrant can hopefully trash some Riptides/chaos war machines with its implant attack.

The only thing I can't touch seems to be flyers like the Hell Drake. I really have no idea what to do about those with this list except to ignore them/hope I can hit them with my Tyrant.
"Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune

Waaaghpower

This list'll fail. Badly.
If it's killpoints, you've got a ton of fragile units that are going to give away points all day.
If it's any objective game except the Fast Attack one, you won't be able to score.
If it's the fast attack version you MIGHT stand a chance... but that's unlikely.

Swarms can't hold objectives.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Arkitek

Well, we never play by kill points, but you're totally right about the swarms. I completely forgot about that.
"Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune

Waaaghpower

If you want deep strike nuisance... if I recall,  can't gants or gaunts or genestealers deep strike in after trygons or mawlocs? Like I said, I heard that all secondhand but if you can that'd be really, really annoying.

Chicop76

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 14, 2013, 04:37:59 PM
If you want deep strike nuisance... if I recall,  can't gants or gaunts or genestealers deep strike in after trygons or mawlocs? Like I said, I heard that all secondhand but if you can that'd be really, really annoying.

It's trygons. Their are several problems with trying to do that.

1. The gaunts need to come in the turn after the trygon. For example if everything comes in on turn2 you can't use the tunnel. The trygon has to come in on turn 2 and anything arriving on turn 3 can use it. Other than that they will come in on your board edge.

Drop pods is a sloution. I need to look if you can drop pod tervigons, but you can do so with most models. 20 gaunts can fit inside. One tactic is to take devilgaunts. When they come out they will shoot 60 str 4 shots. If a flyrant is nearby or a swarmlord gives them preffered enemy they can re roll on 1s to hit and wound. That would easily be 22-25 wounds on fire warriors. It will either wipe out the fire warrior squad or drop them below 25% which will force them to flee off the board due to needing snake eyes to stay on unless they have the expensive bondingknives.

Waaaghpower

Why would they need double ones against a shooting attack?
Regardless, Mycetic Spores sound like a good choice. Tervigons can't, but take a Doom of Malan'tai and a crapload of gants, he'll melt.

Arkitek

So more like this?

1× Hive Tyrant (Leech Essence, Psychic Scream, Indescribable Horror, implant attack, toxic miasma, wings)
1× Parasite of Mortrex
2× Lictor
20× Termagant (devourer)
18× Termagant (devourer)
18× Termagant (devourer)
3× Mycetic spore

Waaaghpower

I'd personally keep Paroxym or whatever on the Hive Tyrant, but it otherwise looks good.

Arkitek

Cool. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll be able to post how it goes tomorrow evening.

Chicop76

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 14, 2013, 06:18:11 PM
I'd personally keep Paroxym or whatever on the Hive Tyrant, but it otherwise looks good.

I agree.

I also wanted to say that I prefer the death leaper over lictors. Actually a deathleaper would be a good unit to take. If they are running an ethereal it will lower it's leadership by d3. If the Ethereal drops to 7 it will harm the Tau's leadership army wide.

Arkitek

Much less expensive than a trio of Lictors, too. Great idea!

Arkitek

So, for 1 250 points;
1× Hive Tyrant (Leech Essence, Psychic Scream, Indescribable Horror, heavy venom cannon, implant attack, toxic miasma, wings)
1× Deathleaper
20× Termagant (devourer)
20× Termagant (devourer)
20× Hormagaunt
20× Hormagaunt
4× Mycetic spore

• Hive Tyrant for fun tiems with vehicles and riptides alike.
  • Deathleaper for all the fun things it does and smiting singular models with 5+ rending goodness.
  • Devilgaunts deep strike and gut his troops, then try to claim objectives while hormagaunts mop up.

Chicop76

One more thing. Half your army has to be deployed. This is where a tervigon and regular gaunts can come into play.

salamut2202

If you want something in their face nice and scarily have you ever considered an expensive brood of ymgarl genestealers? Deploy the, in the opponent's deployment zone and wait for them to pop up (You're probably taking the toughness mutation the turn they're in because interceptor....). Have them with backing from that flyrant there and you've got yourself a formidable force distraction to SCORING units to rush up and do their thing.

Another thing against rippers is don't take multi wounded things against tau which is less than toughness 4 because overcharged ion weaponry.

Chicop76

Quote from: salamut2202 on May 15, 2013, 01:13:48 AM
If you want something in their face nice and scarily have you ever considered an expensive brood of ymgarl genestealers? Deploy the, in the opponent's deployment zone and wait for them to pop up (You're probably taking the toughness mutation the turn they're in because interceptor....). Have them with backing from that flyrant there and you've got yourself a formidable force distraction to SCORING units to rush up and do their thing.

Another thing against rippers is don't take multi wounded things against tau which is less than toughness 4 because overcharged ion weaponry.

The problem with those genestealers is that they can be destroyed if they can't be deployed in the terrain. Against Tau with mass counter fire they may not be a good choice. Unless the Tau player is a newb.