News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

2k Tau vs 2k Guard

Started by Chicop76, May 26, 2013, 01:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

Finally Tau vs Guard! The game should had went very differant than it did. Basically I was surprised lost my grove and it nearly cost me the game. Afterward I realized a lot of mistakes I made. I do mean a lot of mistakes.

Well I learned a lot or rather forgot and remembered a lot. One thing I hate about guard is all that is going on with them. I will try to recap as best as possible.

Tau Army

HQ
Ethereal
Commander: control node, multi sensor, purtide

Elites
Riptide: ion, early, plasma
Riptide: ion, early, plasma

Troops
12 fire warriors
12 fire warriors
10 kroot
10 kroot
20 kroot

Fat
6 pathfinders
6 pathfinders
7 pathfinders: 3 railguns

Heavy
Skyray
Skyray
3 broadsides: railguns, 6x missile dronesl

Ig side

Creed
Kell
Cc squad 4 plasma, powerfist
CC squad 4 plasma, powerfist
10 vets: dem,grenadiers 3 meltas powerfist
10 vets" 3 plasma
5 platoon command 4 melta
10 man squad heavy bolter
10 man squad heavy bolter
6 man special 3 flamers
3 heavy lascannons
3 missile launchers
Master of Ordanace
Lemun Russ Battle Tank
Demolisher
5 shot plasma Russ tank

I took a skyshield for a fortification since I wanted to try it. We both set up on the short table edge and played the scouring.

Mistake#1: the terrain was set up expecting long edge vs long edge. When short edge was rolled and we left terrain as is it cause problems, a lot of los issues.

I learned you place fortifications on your table half before terrain is placed. I never really realized it's half which changed a lot.

Mistake#2: his veterans infiltrated which made a huge differance in the game. I only infiltrated on my deploymet near the objectives.

Out of any games I really did alow that playe way too many take backs. Twice I had side armour shots which when I mentioned x he wanted to take back or move troops to x spot. He did it a lot which also impacted the game.

I deployed my broadsides, 20 kroot and 2 skyrays on the pad. Also my commander and ethereal was attached to my broadsides.

Turn 1

The guard player went first with night fight in effect. I just wanted to say he didn't let me take bck things as much as he did. Anyway he had a lot of shooting. I still had to gtg to reduce the damage on al my troops. I wantedto redo the turn since he was using search light first and firing instead the other way around. Since it was after the fact, which of course didn't apply to him it was too late. Heck this guy was taking back or redoing stuff in my shooting phase, never again. Well thanks to ruins I still hd 3+ cover saves instead of having 2+ cover just standing there. I wouldn't had gtg as much.

Well with hlf my army went to ground I killed what ever guard squads I could. I killed one veteran squad while the other one live due to the terrain set up. I immobilzed his demolisher with my riptide with an overcharge ion attack. He had stealth ruins, which helped him a lot as a warlord trait.

Mistake #4. I completly forgot how effective my riptides was against his tanks at range. I realized at the end of my turn I could had sat back and take out his tanks. Barrage hits side armour which was 13 with my stength 9 hits. I planned to flank him hard with my riptides and smash his demolisher. Again after the fact I probably could had killed his demolisher with range overcharge.

Oh and I did overkill a lot in the game. However my 6 man pathfinder squad was able to paint 3 heavy lascannon squads, which in turn hit them with 5 marker lights, not to bad huh. I than used my gtg ground firewarriors to activate the lights and fire 5 seeker missiles which only killed 2 heavy weapons teams, damn 3 ones. This guy passed a lot of leadership rols which half I couldn't see. Any way during my shooting he wanted to move that guy out of los since he realized I can easily kill it.

Turn 2

Same as turn 1. Only differance is he assaulted on of my riptides with his melta bomb squad veterans. This is where I wanted to quit. I thought they where the elite choice since he infiltrated. Since they had +4 armour I didn't know about the grenaider. Honestly I'm scratching my head on the infiltrate. I just said screw it and let him have it. Live and learn. I was so pissed it screwed up my game for most of the game. he managed to put a few wounds on my riptide. 

Mistake # 5 and 6 playing with a cheater and mving riptides too close to a squad with melta bombs. Also not looking at his non list. In essence he could make them whatever he wanted, so he could kill the riptide. Due to that combat I couldn't finish his demolisher off.

My other riptide took a wound trying t shoot at the other tanks. My first riptide dies, but only doing my shooting phase.

Turn 3

More shooting. He finally killed the +4 invulnerabl saving kroot on the skyshield. I killed more guardsmen. He assaulted my firewarriors with his veteran squad. The way the terrain was shaped it blocked line of sight to my whole army.

Turn 4 and his 5

I blasted his guys off the objectives I could. His veterans killed my pathfinders, but was too far away from the objective. At the end of his turn he called the game and wanted to say he won. I compalined my turn made a differance. I have 6 points and he had 5 points. He had +2 for line braker, thinking about it I had first blood and not him. I was tired and for future referance will write it down. Anyway it was 6 vs 7 in his favor even though it should had been the other way around since the first unit to die was his 1st veteran squad. I argued I can easily line breaker with my other riptide during my movement which will tie the game or I can use my broadsides to kill the two guys on one objective. How you going to end the game before my turn and say you won. Anyway we agreed on a tie.

After game thoughts:

That veteran squad was some pure bs. It's not the fact he kill my riptide and two other units. Its him questionably changing the unit and gear to do so. However I didn't pay attenton that the unit was within 24" of my skyray's and broadsides. Meaning I could had killed it when it was generating a +2 cover save. By me not noticing that it stopped me from winning the game.

We was playing the scouring which wayy after the fact I forgot pathfinders are scoring units and give up a point. He argued wayyy after he one due to the one point. I argued I had first blood since you have to kill a unit first which he failed to do. Again making it a tie game and not me winning in the first place. Also if the game would had continued I really could had easilied killed his guys which we rolled just to see, that I remebered how my smart missiles I had near. My pathfinders was close enough to claim the 3 point objective, unless the rolled really really bad on difficult terrain and run. That move would had allowed me to win at the end of turn 5.

I again made al lot of mistakes which I could had easily won. His mvp was those stupid vets. On my side my broadsides wiped out guard squads like the plague.

I forgot to mention that at one point I moved my 7 man squad up to rapid fire his squad with my rail guns. Since my sides took care of them I snap fired his missile team some how hitting 3 times and used my gtg fire warriors to fire 3 seeker missles killing them off.

I have to say having 2 skyrays is nice to have. It gave me missile in abunance and was very help ful.

I think the skyshield helped and didn't. His pie plates galore allowed too many hits he wouldn't had normally got. It was good for my heavies to be up their, but my kroot was really a liability there. I think I will use one in the future. Just have to clarify moving off and down plus aasults from the pad.

Also I played sit back and shoot instead of usually moving up. We both agreed if I played like I normally do I would had done much better.

I think I might need to re arrange my troops a bit. Another squad of fire warriors for sure. I will drop a squad of kroot. Also due to the nature of that game a devilfish really would had helped.

I would had said about 75% of the board had terrain. The problem we both had we couldn't advance due to terrain slowingus down and we was both getting mowed down, well I had to gtg a lot.

If I didn't put my riptides soo close it would had been a differant game. My opponent felt he should had just sat back and shoot at my pathfinders. However iwith a few dice rolls I showed him how my two riptides could had killed his armour 14 tanks at range.

At one point of the game my broadsides ran off the pad and it took 2 turns to get back on. I used the run and snap shots to get them back. With the amout of marker lights I had it's like they and my gtg units could fire normally.

The biggest mistake was aloowing his tanks so much free reign. The fact I should had won even with those 3 tanks tearing my army apart is a good sign. I am going to with the two skyrays now for sure. I am sold on the rail gun sides now. In this game the rail guns helped kill a few targets which my high yeild wouldn't had been able too. Those annoying heavy weapons teams. I am thinking about target locks again. The inteceptor is nice, but targetlocks is more helpful overall.

Also I am losing plasma for fusion on my riptides. With some debate on the smart missile system. The ion guns are still worth running, but the sms would had really helped in this game. I might do one fusion and the other sms.

I have to re look at the flyers to see how effective they are again. I am thinking the bomber would be nice. It would had been helpful since a flyer could had painted that annoying squad with markerlights. Also if the drones have interceptor it would be nice as well. As a bonus I woild have 6 marker lights with skyfire and 14 seekers on the board.

I miss my marker drones, but missile drones on the sides are nice. If I went high yield I think marker drones with target locks would be a good set up.

BigToof

Sounds like you had a good game, with experience on both sides and of course, some mistakes were made.

Glad to see that you are progressing with your Tau, and hope to see more!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

Quote from: BigToof on May 29, 2013, 11:12:11 PM
Sounds like you had a good game, with experience on both sides and of course, some mistakes were made.

Glad to see that you are progressing with your Tau, and hope to see more!

Best,
-BT

Tx. I was worried vs guard, but it's not as bad as thought it was. We both killed off a lot of guys. I decided to go back to using a devilfish now due to this game. It would had made a differance.

After this game I did 1850 with nids vs Tau. I noticed the me playing Tau really helped me beat them. Than daemons vs IG round 2. Got to love skullcannons and that cover save denial.

I am gearing up for a tournament Saturday. I haven't tournament play in awhile. I wish my son didn't break both cameras or I would had pics taken.