News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Riptide lessons!

Started by Chicop76, May 28, 2013, 02:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCKitsune

My thoughts... only get into combat with vehicles without a WS. 

Your shooting attacks are a damn sight more impressive than your H2H abilities so why waste them?
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

knightperson

Quote from: KCKitsune on May 29, 2013, 12:21:13 PM

Your shooting attacks are a damn sight more impressive than your H2H abilities so why waste them?

I think that's true in the vast majority of cases. But there will be the occasional time when you really need to tarpit something and nothing else is available. Monstrous Creatures, even with poor melee stats, are pretty nasty in melee especially against non-walker vehicles. This is a good thing since the Nerf of the broadside railguns!
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Chicop76

Quote from: knightperson on May 29, 2013, 03:59:39 PM
Quote from: KCKitsune on May 29, 2013, 12:21:13 PM

I think that's true in the vast majority of cases. But there will be the occasional time when you really need to tarpit something and nothing else is available. Monstrous Creatures, even with poor melee stats, are pretty nasty in melee especially against non-walker vehicles. This is a good thing since the Nerf of the broadside railguns!

My Riptide tx to a 3+ invulnerable beat down a tervigon and trygon before.

Not saying to start attacking and smashing things. Just saying it's options. I just found myself having to assault at times depending on what the threat is. It's all relative and depends on your over watch situation.

Arguleon-veq

Yeah it can make a decent tar-pit if you really need it to hold something up but id only do it if its going to save something more vital.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

The Man They Call Jayne

With 3 S7 AP2 shots as standard, at a good BS is you can grab some Markers the ONLY thing you ever need to engage in CC is AV14 on the rear. I suppose if you had nothing better to do you could punch a Leman Russ to death aswell.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Kur'os

I've used my XV-104 in most of my recent games and it's quickly becoming a staple unit. 

It has the mobility of an XV-8 and height of a Trygon, so LoS issues are rare. 

I have had great success fielding both the EWO and VT.  I can't think of the last time my opponent didn't bring reserves of some kind and flyers are only going to become more and more frequent.  In my last game, I dropped a Stormtalon the moment it arrived; allowing my Sunshark free reign of the board when it arrived on my subsequent turn.   

The primary weapon strongly dictates the units primary targets, IMO.  I can't say which primary I prefer, but I almost always use the TL FB just in case I need anti-armor. 

Beyond these, I think my overall favorite aspect of the XV-104 is its durability.  Save for tricky left-field wargear / abilities like the Dark Eldar shatterstorm, you're not likely going to see it felled by a single lucky shot. 

As a final note, I would like to state that I have horrible luck with my Nova reactor.  :(

-Kur'os