News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1750 Point Tau List – Need Assistance

Started by Carrelio, May 30, 2013, 11:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrelio

So getting back on topic... and specifically the topic of the velocity trackers and the riptides.  My riptides are now 240 points a piece... fun fact... that's as much as the Eldar Wraith Knight... and riptides... even with FNP and Sky Fire really are not a T8 monstrous creature with 2 S10 shots that cause instant death on a 6...  Are the two most expensive toys on the unit that already costs as much as a storm raven worth it? I'm quite uncertain.

knightperson

I haven't tried them myself, but every report I've heard of them so far has been overwhelmingly positive. Lots of firepower, 2+ armor save, option for a 3+ invulnerable, faster movement than any non-flying monstrous creature. People are wondering what's the point of taking crisis or stealth suits anymore!
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

The Man They Call Jayne

Thanks to Velocity/Override Riptides (and a lucky roll on the mysterious objectives table) I was able to down 2 Vendettas and a Valkyrie the moment  they arrived. Unless you know you are not having to deal with flyers, it is a godsend to be able to fire on them at will. Use Markers by all means, get yourself to BS4 or 5 or strip cover from those pesky Jink saves, but having the shots there to do the damage and the Damage Bonus on the table means that you can keep flyers out of your face.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Carrelio

So then would leaving the stims behind in exchange for the EWO be worth doing?

The Man They Call Jayne

I havnt taken stims on mine for a while. The cost of them is nasty. Of course, I regularly face Deepstrikers and Flyers, so the Override may be serving me better than it would you. But given it's cheapness, it is probably a useful thing to anyone. Even DSing Termies would suffer.

Carrelio

Well, I had originally been running them with Stims and EWO, EWO to melt terminators, and Stims because they provide a 33.33%increase in survivability for only a 20% cost increase (statistical win).  But once I traded the EWO for a VT, the price started to look a little out of hand.  I mean... the price of a storm raven is pretty high (but likely worth it), the price of a landraider? I don't know if that will pay off.

The Man They Call Jayne

If you face flyers regularly, VT and EWO is well worth it. If you want something to just Tank the hell out of anything, Stims is best. But ideally you need the 2 extra drones for max wounds and toughness.

Carrelio

I think drones are a bit of a large risk on the riptide.  All it takes is one failed save on a 4+ and you are taking a leadership test to see if your riptide runs.  The drone may be T6, but it's still only a fire warrior's armour between you and a "Oh my god! Look what that monster did to my AI best friend, he had a wife and kids! Run! Ruuuuun!"

I guess, as expensive as it is, I will have to take the stims.  My riptides soak up way too much fire power not to take them... which just leaves the question of the VRT... and since I'm not getting anti-air from anywhere else in the list, it looks like I'll be taking that too.  At least on one of them.