News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Space Wolves, Advice Please

Started by Raving Bonkers, June 08, 2013, 04:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raving Bonkers

Hey everyone. I am soon returning to my local gaming club after a long hiatus. I am looking to build up a fun Tau army, but for now I still have my wolves to take.

I have only played a handful of 6th edition games at low points and mainly using the Vengeance box set.

What I am after before I go massive on list building is, tips and advice. How the game has changed and influenced how army lists evolve.
Are long fangs with missiles still a good bet?
I have an Achilles land raider from forge world that I can now field so would it be worth it?
Power swords were nerfed iirc, but with how many wolves can spam are they still competitive or do I need to swap them for other things?
Wolves can spam razorbacks, but with hull points on all vehicles are they still worth it? I have 2 converted laz/plaz razors that I use to love using.
Anything else worth mentioning? Only 2 things to note. 1, I avoid named characters as I enjoy making up my own kits. 2, I have over 8k points of space wolves so models wise shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Cheers for any advice you guys can throw my way,
RB

Chris

I have a little experience with marines in general, not specifically SW in 6th, but every little helps right?

As in fifth, Grey Hunters are your best friend. Always have at least 3 squads of these. With the versatility of these, they will be the core of your army.
Personally I would then suggest getting a couple of Wolf Guard Terminators. Maybe a squad of just 5 with power axes and shields. These guys are the Bee's knee's at the moment. With a good hitting power and great durability, they will be a pain in anyones ass.
Next go for some long fangs... I like to spam either plasma or Missile launchers, just for the price Missiles are great. But plasma has the stopping power. I would go for 2 squads of those.

HQ? Maybe the SW equivelent of the librarian (i cant remember his name)... Psykers are still excellent, there are some great new rule sets out there and they stay as powerful as ever.

As for your LR, I would use it. I have found that either because of the amount of fliers around or some other reason, 6th ed isn't massively for vehicles. Foot slogging armies are far more versatile and maleable for this edition of the game.
Hope I've helped!

Arguleon-veq

As has been said, Long Fangs and Grey Hunters are still great, missiles are still great for your Long Fangs.

Wolves are still pretty great all round but they totally lack anti air which is a huge issue now.

With so many great psychic powers around you are going to want to use Rune Priests, at least 1, probably 2.

I wouldnt bother spamming power swords, they really arent worth it although axes can be handy.

I would definately run that land raider as a lot of armies are really struggling against AV14 now.

I dont know how you can help your anti air problems without bringing allies to be honest, wolves just have nothing at all that can deal with flyers well. Your best bet is 15 missiles from your Long Fangs and having your Rune Priests give them re rolls with presience. At least your looking at about 4 hits on flyers like that.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Raving Bonkers

Awesome. My wolves shall definitely be getting a dust off then.

With so much talk of armies more foot slogging the Achilles heavy 4 blast weapon sounds very useful with the options of strength 4, 5 or 6 with the possibility to ignore cover or cause difficult terrain tests. As well as the two twin linked multi meltas.

Thanks guys,
RB