News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tactica Eldar

Started by Arguleon-veq, June 13, 2013, 09:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

This isnt going to be a Tactica article, rather just a thread were we can discuss viable builds/tactics and mention whats working for us at the minute and how to deal with certain enemy builds.

I think the first thing to look at, which can make almost any Eldar list compete with most other armies is the Wave Serpent.

Wave Serpent

This tank does almost everything we could want. It provides protection for our fragile scoring, holo fields meaning that half of damage done to it will be discounted. It gives our scoring the ability to get where it needs to go very quickly.

With a Twin Linked Scatter Laser and Shuricannon we have a tank that, thanks to the Serpent Shield, is amazing at anti infantry duties. Even digging into cover doesnt help the enemy as the Shield ignores cover. We are looking at around 10 hits at S6 or better from this tank a turn.

The fact that all of those hits are coming in at S6 or better also makes it great at anti light/medium tank duties.

To top it off, thanks to the Scatter Lasers - Laser Lock rule, it should be getting a hit against a flyer, which then twin links our other guns. This ends up giving us about 2-3 S6 hits and 1-2 S7 hits against a flyer which is actually very potent anti air.

With pre measuring, our Wave Serpents should never really be charged, you can always sit at 24'' and then jump back 12'' when the target units starts to close again.

So in one tank we give ourselves fairly effective scoring and cover almost every base besides anti heavy tank [which can be done just by putting some Fire Dragons in one].
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Wraithwall

Last edition using a big Wraithguard unit backed up by fortune was pretty viable [it actually won me my first tournament] despite some glaring weaknesses. This edition has pretty much invalidated that but now instead of Wraithguard, we can take Wraithknights.

Although some armies have some very good hard counters to the Wraithknight such as Tau with loads of Kroot Snipers or Dark Eldar with their poison. Most will have nightmares trying to kill one, let alone 3.

I think the best combination is something like this;

[Sunknight]Wraithknight with Scatter Laser, Suncannon, Scattershield
[Sunknight]Wraithknight with Scatter Laser, Suncannon, Scattershield
Wraithknight.

This is giving you 8 S6, and 6 Twin Linked AP2 Blasts for dealing with almost any kind of infantry or light tanks. Then you have the standard Wraithknight for busting heavy armour and maybe instant killing monsters.

Couple that with the fact they are Jump Infantry so that you could have all 3 of these guys in an armies face by turn 2 makes for a very scary prospect. They are no slouches in combat, in fact they are probably more than a match for most of the other monsters out there.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

loeldrad

Great Stuff in here I'd love to see more! Maybe when I get some games in with the new book I can do a review on a unit to pitch in as well.  ;D

Arguleon-veq

I was at a tournament at the weekend and me and a mate were chatting to the guy who's the top ranked Eldar player and he was talking about what he really likes about the new Eldar Codex and why. The first was this set up on War Walkers;

[1-3]x War Walkers: Scatter Laser/Bright Lance

He really likes this set up as it counters one of the big metagame threats; Broadsides. The scatter lasers blow away the drones and then the twin linked lances instant kill the broadsides themselves. They also provide anti air that can deal with heavier flyers like storm ravens/vendettas/helldrakes as you should get 2 scatter laser hits and that in turn should get you a lance hit[from 3 walkers]. This can be handy as our wave serpents struggle with AV12 Flyers. The lances also provide some nice anti AV13 power which we are starting to see a lot of again to try and survive against Tau.

Crimson Hunters + Autarchs + Comm Relay Defense Lines

The fragility of the Hunters are massively offset by having a Comm Relay Defence Line [you will want the Line to put your Walkers behind anyway]. The relay coupled with the autarchs own special rule about reserves means you should get your flyers exactly when you want them and an Exarch Crimson Hunter should really blow away any other flyer if it gets to shoot them. So your facing triple helldrakes or necron flyers, you make sure your flyers stay off untill they make their first attack and then you bring in the hunters and blow away the enemy flyers.

I think you can make a pretty decent list out of those when you couple it with the good old wave serpent;

3 War Walkers; Scatter/Lance
3 War Walkers; Scatter/Lance
2 War Walkers; Scatter/Lance
Autarch; Fusion Gun, Scorp Sword
5 Avengers;
5 Avengers;
5 Avengers;
5 Avengers;
Serpent
; Scatter/Shuricannon/Holo
Serpent; Scatter/Shuri/Holo
Serpent; Scatter/Shuri/Holo