News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Hardest models to paint

Started by Brassclaw, June 16, 2013, 08:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassclaw

So I have been playing/paint for awhile, a good 12 years and I got the heldrake in Dec, built him but didn't paint until now. Holy shit, hes a hard model to paint. Of course i have made it harder on myself by not painting the wings before gluing them on.

So what's your hardest model to paint? or hardest project?

Tom

I've been struggling with my Avatar for years. At least, struggling to force myself to try and paint him because he's so different to anything else I've painted - brightest colours in deepest recesses etc.

In general I find things that I'm not used to to be difficult to paint. Just seeing new shapes means you have to think a lot more about where the paint is supposed to go. Large flat areas are also difficult unless you're profficient with an airbrush because the model gives you so little help, in comparison I find something like a cloak with lots of nice folds to be the easiest thing to paint.

salamut2202

Jumping from tyranids to tau was diffcult one for me because I had to go from the organic world of washes and drybushes to something a lot cleaner, synthetic and more annoying whence you stuff up.

Thantos

Im bad at painting things with lots of texture. Gamezone miniatures fallen knights were a nightmate (pun muchly intended) so much so that im about to stick them on ebay and give up :( Smooth clean lines or areas i can blend im happiest with :P

Will get back into painting in a few months :D should dust off the brushes

Will's on Fire

My Sanguinary Guard due to the choice of paint scheme. I've still only got 6 painted, out of the 15 I set myself the challenge to paint. :P

I also have a part painted Dakka jet because I decided to freehand many checks and dags, and that still needs to be done.

Man, when I see a thread like this it makes me realise how little progress I'm making through my stuff. Still have about half of a dark vengeance to paint too. I can't remember what happened to my "buy once I've painted everything" policy. :P

- Will

knightperson

The hardest model I have yet painted has been my Pureblood Warpwolf from Hordes. Not a terribly difficult model in general, but I primed it black before deciding to paint it white. It took a lot of layers to get white!
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Tempest Six Two

Hardest thing to paint for me is anything already pre assmebled- even though you can't see the detail that the arms/ shoulder pads/ weapons obscure I KNOW that there should be paint in there.

I even go to the extent of black spray undercoating all my plastic spruces before cutting the bits off- that way at least when all the mini is built there is black in all the deepest darkest recesses that normally can't be reached...

In general, I have an aversion to painting Deathwing. I've just finished the base bone colour on 5 of them and with the three thin coats to get the right coverage that alone took me 20+ hours for the squad... Looks good though ;)
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

Begel Dverl

I hate trying to paint metal models even though I like the weight and feel of it. No matter how many layers of paint I put on them and no matter how many times I wash my hands or gloss the model over, the paint always chips or break in a weird part.

Also, I hate painted Finecast even though I like the detail. However, said detail is always marred by something like, say, no fingers, bubbles, spontaneous or hidden flash, warping, or under-casting.

I would paint my Dark Eldar, but I still have to use an old pot of Dheneb Stone to use.

Deraj

The metal is a problem that I don't think anyone has solved. I asked a guy at a GT who won best painted how he keeps them looking so good, especially with 6 games over 2 days and his response was that he spends an hour before and after every day of the GT fixing chips. Finecast is just a godsend in my opinion for that, and I'm good enough at working with greenstuff to not worry about missing fingers, bubbles, and under-casting, even if it adds another hour of work.

As far as hardest things to paint: snap fit models. I've started painting my models before gluing them together, and with snap fit... that just doesn't work out as well.

Fhanados

For me the hardest models I've painted recently have to be the old metal Chaos Space Marines troops. There's just so much more to them than you'd think at first glance, and I seemed to struggle through every single one so far. Doesn't really help that up until then I only painted 4th edition Necrons, which admittedly are not difficult in the slightest.

I also have a "Paint what I have before I buy more" policy but I keep finding salvage jobs that require me to buy more models so I have the spare parts to fix the old ones. That's what I tell myself anyway... :shifty: