News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

First try at Tau List 2000 points

Started by Scalphunta, June 24, 2013, 01:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scalphunta

Good Evening,

I trying to get back into 40k and I dusted off my fully painted Tau Army. I put together this list with outdated 4Th edition ideology. I'm looking to make this list better. I loaded up the Commander because that's what I was used to. I prefer not to use characters because of personal preference. Any help is appreciated.

HQ  1 = Tau Battlesuit Commander, 2 sets of twin-linked burst cannons (had model from Forgeworld, wanted to use), Neuroweb System Jammer, Onager Gauntlet, Repulsor Impact Field, Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Engram Neurochip and Iridium Armor.

Elite 1 = Riptide w/ Ion Accelerator, stimulant injector, velocity tracker, 2 shielded missile drones, twin-linked smart missile system

Elite 2 = Riptide w/ Ion Accelerator, stimulant injector, velocity tracker, 2 shielded missile drones, twin-linked smart missile system

Elite 3 = 2 Battlesuit Crisis team with twin-linked fusion, 1 plasma rifle, 2 shield drones, 2 marker drones

Troop 1 = 6 person fire warrior team w/pulse carbines with Shas'ui w/ markerlight, 1 shield drone, 1 marker drone mounted in Devilfish w/ twin-linked smart missile system, decoy launchers, disruption pod, 2 seekers

Troop 2 = 6 person fire warrior team w/pulse carbines with Shas'ui w/ markerlight, 1 shield drone, 1 marker drone mounted in Devilfish w/ twin-linked smart missile system, decoy launchers, disruption pod, 2 seekers

Troop 3 = 10 Kroot with sniper rounds and 1 hound

Fast Attack 1 = 4 Tau Pathfinder squad

Fast Attack 2 = 4 Tau Pathfinder squad

Fast Attack 3 = Sun Shark bomber w/ advanced targetting, decoy launchers, disruption pod, twin-linked missile pod

Heavy 1 = Missileside Suit with 2 missile drones, early warning override, 1 seeker missile

Heavy 2 = Missileside Suit with 2 missile drones, early warning override, 1 seeker missile

I didn't post any cost because i think there is a rule against it.

Thank You in Advance
Quote from: Chapter Master Seth on January 12, 2011, 02:07:02 AM
I'm not even kidding though. I really do like [you]. :\

I consider [you] my best friend on the site and somebody I'd like to meet in person.

Chicop76

Way tooo many upgrades. It's like you went upgrade crazy :derp: :facepalm001:. Never go full upgrades!

Scalphunta

Quote from: Chicop76 on June 24, 2013, 06:16:40 AM
Way tooo many upgrades. It's like you went upgrade crazy :derp: :facepalm001:. Never go full upgrades!

LOL!! What upgrades are essential on a Commander?

I consider [you] my best friend on the site and somebody I'd like to meet in person.

Kur'os

Quote from: Scalphunta on June 24, 2013, 01:24:56 AM
HQ  1 = Tau Battlesuit Commander, 2 sets of twin-linked burst cannons (had model from Forgeworld, wanted to use), Neuroweb System Jammer, Onager Gauntlet, Repulsor Impact Field, Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Engram Neurochip and Iridium Armor.

Given the number of options our commanders have, most players tend to focus their commander towards a specific role.  Several of the signature systems lean towards a support role (I.e. CCN, MSSS, PEN).

Other systems, such as the NSJ, are more direct.

With so many systems packed onto your commander, he is not only limiting your overall points, but may find it difficult to utilize all of his abilities in a given game. 

A common tactic is to attach one's commander to a Riptide to enhance its shooting.  I personally use a Commander or Shas'vre Crisis with the MSSS to give my Broadside Ignore Cover.  Not the most efficient use, but I like it.

-Kur'os

Arguleon-veq

Your Commaner had no real role so far and there isnt really anything in the list he will be effective in joining.

With that in mind I would focus him and your regular battlesuit team into one role. I think an AP2/Tank Busting role will be nice. Throw in as many plasmas/fusions as you can on the commander and the team [probably even make them a bodyguard team] the commander should take the irridium armour an probably the onager gauntlet as he will be getting in close. A drone controller and adding two gun drones for each guy really beefs up squads firepower if they do want to kill infantry and it helps to keep them alive. Throw in the odd target lock to let you split fire onto multiple tanks and maybe the gear that lets the unit be twin linked and ignore cover for when you really want to shift some marines dug into some cover or from behind a defense line.

As for the Riptides/Broadsides you will want the intercept on the riptides [that large blast is great for blasting deepstrikers who are all lovely and clumped together] and skyfire on the broadsides [as your getting an extra shot against S7 shot against those flyers over the riptide]. The drones for the riptide also arent worth it, they are far too many points for what they do.

The only upgrade you need on your tanks are +1 cover and your also best cutting back all the fire warrior upgrades, just stick to basic firewarriors.

With the points saved on all of this you will be able to beef up those fire warrior units with more guys and get in extra squads of kroot for extra scoring as that is something you are really lacking for such a high points value.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Scalphunta

Thank You for the feedback, here is the result

HQ  1 = Tau Battlesuit Commander, 2 sets of twin-linked burst cannons (had model from Forgeworld, wanted to use), Neuroweb System Jammer, Puretide Engram Neurochip and Iridium Armor, 2 shield drones
-------2 Crisis suit Bodyguard team both w/ twin-linked plasma rifles, target lock, 2 marker drones. 1 has the Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite and the other has the Command and Control node.

Elite 1 = Riptide w/ Ion Accelerator, stimulant injector, Early Warning Override, twin-linked smart missile system

Elite 2 = Riptide w/ Ion Accelerator, stimulant injector, Early Warning Override, twin-linked smart missile system

Elite 3 = 3 Model Stealth Shas've with fusion, 2 gun drones and 2 suits with Target Lock

Troop 1 = 6 person fire warrior team w/pulse carbines mounted in Devilfish w/ twin-linked smart missile system, disruption pod, 2 seekers

Troop 2 = 6 person fire warrior team w/pulse carbines mounted in Devilfish w/ twin-linked smart missile system, disruption pod, 2 seekers

Troop 3 = 6 person fire warrior team w/pulse carbines mounted in Devilfish w/ twin-linked smart missile system, disruption pod, 2 seekers

Fast Attack 1 = 4 Tau Pathfinder squad

Fast Attack 2 = 4 Tau Pathfinder squad

Fast Attack 3 = Sun Shark bomber w/ disruption pod, twin-linked missile pod

Heavy 1 = Missileside Suit with 2 missile drones, Velocity Tracker, 1 seeker missile

Heavy 2 = Missileside Suit with 2 missile drones, Velocity Tracker, 1 seeker missile

What do you think?

The Man They Call Jayne

Bear in mind that the MSSS and the C&C Node mean that the bearer CANNOT fire their weapons if you want to use their ability.

My current build is a Commander with no weapons, a C&C an MSSS and a Puretide. Join him to the unit I want, most often its my unit of 3 Missilesides with 6 missile drones. That way I get 24 TL S7 shots that Ignore Cover and can have the Tank/Monster Hunter rule if I need them to.

There is not MUCH that you will normally run into that can stand up to that kind of firepower. Even AV13 can be reliably glanced to death.

But you could just as easily join him to a unit of Double Plasma suits for 12 TL No Cover Monster Hunter AP2 shots with a 75% hit rate. TEQ? What TEQ? Or 6 Fusion Blasters. Or you could add 2 missile pods to each crisis suit, add the commander and you get some slightly squashier but FAR more mobile Broadside copiers.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4