News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1000pts Chaos (Marines with Daemon allies)

Started by Cammerz, June 30, 2013, 09:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cammerz

Well my local gaming club is having a small tournament in a couple of weeks, 1000pts and you can use allies and fortifications so given that my Tau didn't do too well at the last tournament I attended I thought I'd bring out the Word Bearers along with the Daemons of Khorne.

Here's the list I've created using models which I own;

-Chaos Lord w. Terminator Armour, Combi-Melta, Power Maul, VotLW
Power Maul because I've modelled him as a Terminator-armoured Dark Apostle with an Accursed Crozius.

-10 CSMs w. 2 Plasmaguns, Champion w. T-l Bolter and Power Fist
This unit joins the Lord.

-15 Cultists w. Flamer
Because the Marine detachment needs two Troops choices.

-Defiler w. Power Scourge
The big gun of my army.

-Allied Bloodthirster w. 2 Greater Rewards
I've had a lot of fun with my Bloodthirster and I feel he'll work even better in a smaller points game.

-10 Bloodletters
Because the Daemon detachment needs one Troops choice.

I'm asking more for ideas on how to use this list rather than how to change it. My general plan is to keep the cultists and possibly the bloodletters back to hold any home objectives with the 'letters counter-attacking anyone who comes close. The Defiler will aim o blow up high priority targets early on (in a previous tournament he was able to annihilate a SM Chapter Master w. 5 guys in a single shot in turn 1, I'm hoping for a repeat of this). The Bloodthirster and the Marines will move forwards to engage the enemy, the 'thirster aiming to get into combat asap whilst the Lord has a previously discovered talent of just walking through small arms fire to protect his fellow marines (to an extent, I don't want to just give away 'Slay the Warlord'.

I have no idea what sort of armies I'll be up against but in my most recent tournament I fought against; Marines, Daemons, Nids, Nids, Marines.

Chicop76

Bloodthrister should go exhaulted, greater

Exaulted =
1. +d3 atacks, int, ws, +1 strength
2. Rampage and Rage
3. Riftbringer: 2d6+3 more daemons
4. Portalgylph: d6 more daemons
5. Grimore of True names: +2 invulnerable for deamons, won't work on Thirster
6. Possible free lesser reward

Um thats's about it on the reason why tou should pick exhaulted.

I think Daemons with Chaos Allies would work better. That way you can throw in a Khorne Herald with another Exhaulted gift.

Also the soulgrinder is much better than a defiler.

Cammerz

Quote from: Chicop76 on June 30, 2013, 02:49:07 PM
Bloodthrister should go exhaulted, greater

Exaulted =
1. +d3 atacks, int, ws, +1 strength
2. Rampage and Rage
3. Riftbringer: 2d6+3 more daemons
4. Portalgylph: d6 more daemons
5. Grimore of True names: +2 invulnerable for deamons, won't work on Thirster
6. Possible free lesser reward

Um thats's about it on the reason why tou should pick exhaulted.

I think Daemons with Chaos Allies would work better. That way you can throw in a Khorne Herald with another Exhaulted gift.

Also the soulgrinder is much better than a defiler.

Well thanks for replying Chicop, the main reason I selected the models I did is because these are the models I own. I don't have enough Bloodletters for two basic units and I don't have a Soulgrinder.

I've never been a big fan of the exalted rewards, from the list you've created:
1) Better WS or In wouldn't help a Bloodthirster, he already has exceptionally high stats there. The +1 Str can also be obtained through the acquisition of a Greater Etherblade.
2) These would be nice but there's only a 1 in 6 chance of getting it (you can't have two Exalted rewards).
3) I don't have daemon models to spare.
4) See 3.
5) As you said, it won't work on the 'thirster.
6) They aren't that great.

The Greaters on the other hand let me:
1) Get the Greater Etherblade
2) Make me much more resilient with (+1W and It Will Not Die!), (FNP4+) and (Re-rollable Inv) options.
3) Give me a much better anti-tank shooting weapon which I could use against flyers.
4) Make me a great deal better in combat with both Armour and Fleshbane.

Plus I get two of them and there's a 1 in 5 chance of each one because I automatically re-roll the 3+ Armour one.

What I'm really looking for isn't changes to the list but tactics for the battlefield, any ideas how my strategy should work?

Arguleon-veq

I think the list will work pretty well thanks to solid scoring and the fact that the Thirster will win games on his own at this points level. If you have the model though I would seriously consider swapping out the lord for a sorcerer [if not just use him as one! :P].

As for the rewards, Exalted are great for getting you some extra scoring but as you dont have any extra models Greater gifts will be fine and most of them are fantastic anyway.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Cammerz

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on June 30, 2013, 07:41:51 PM
If you have the model though I would seriously consider swapping out the lord for a sorcerer [if not just use him as one! :P].

That is something I have never considered, I've never actually used a psyker in 40k and this seems as good a time as any to test one out. It turns out I could use the exact number of points to convert my Terminator Lord to a Terminator Sorcerer with a combi-melta, force stave and Mastery level 2.

So I get two spells which can be from Biomancy, Pyromancy and Telepathy. Any thoughts? I'm considering just taking the Primaris spells from Biomancy (Smite) and Telepathy (Psychic Shriek) but having only ever been on the receiving end of magic, I'm not sure.

Chicop76

biomancy and telepathy are both great.

Ummm getin rampage and rage is an exhaulted power you are basically getting 2-5 extra attacks
Free leeser is easy free extra attack since you have s weapon already equiped and the free lesser on the lesser etherblade for the +1 attack.

You left out d3 attacks on #1. It gives you options on the greater. You can do 2d3 extra attacks, by doing both greater and exhaulted. If you get rage and rampage you can easily go for greater etherblade.

If you had the extra models than exhaulted and greater would be good choices. If you go lesser, greater, greater you can use the lesser power to get a lesser etherblade for +1 attack. Also it helps to get ranged attack options since you are bs 10. Lesser and greater have one strength 8 attack and the lesser also have a strength 5 flame attack. The range attacks allow you to vector strike and lance, strength 8, strength 6 ap 1, or flame targets. The two strength 8 options are also great anti-air options.

Arguleon-veq

Smite is pretty poor but psychic shriek is great, id double up on whatever lore you go for, for a chance at some of the better powers. Id go for Biomancy or Telepathy.

For Biomancy I really like;

Enfeeble and Endurance, both will really help your army and Iron Arm can make that Sorc into a bit of a combat monster which is nice.

For Telepathy, I love Puppet Master and some of the other powers are fantastic against lowerd LD armies and you have the great fall back of Psychic Shriek.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on June 30, 2013, 08:57:27 PM
Smite is pretty poor but psychic shriek is great, id double up on whatever lore you go for, for a chance at some of the better powers. Id go for Biomancy or Telepathy.

For Biomancy I really like;

Enfeeble and Endurance, both will really help your army and Iron Arm can make that Sorc into a bit of a combat monster which is nice.

For Telepathy, I love Puppet Master and some of the other powers are fantastic against lowerd LD armies and you have the great fall back of Psychic Shriek.

Telepathy also have these two powers:

Invisibility: +4 cover save, no overwatch or counter charge, and lowers the enemy's ws to 1 when striking the invisible unit. Works really well with prescience since you hit almost all models on re rollabl 3's and they hit you on 5s

Hallucination:
1: you just auto pinned a unit, unless they are fearless. Love pinning marines, which means no cover benefit and even though no grenades it fixes that problem, also great vs tau shooting.
2: they sit there and do nothing. You can than proceed t beat them silly. Again doesn't matter if you do not have grenades.
3: they beat themselves up and will activate force weapons to do so. I rather 2, but 3 works really well vs grey knights.

If you have a psyker battle squad the leadership test to do anything is actually useful, or -3 leadership from eldar, -6 is even sweater.

There is one other power that's leadership based, but I forget what it is. I think it's like mind war or somethin. I usually opt for shriek at this point.

I love endurance and enfeeble, both powers are really helpful. Iron arm is helpful due to you haveing a force weapon and grants eternal warrior. In the army set up you have enfeeble and endurance would be better. I personally think enfeeble is the best power, especally if you have multiple units with enfeeble. For example you with 3 enfeeble's can make Plague Marines strength 1, toughness 2. That would mean bolters would cause instant death which is nice since it will wound on 2s and negate FnP.

Cammerz

Well, I've had the tournament. My four games were against; Tau, Eldar, Space Wolves and more Tau.
Suffice to say it didn't go too well and I came second last (and I believe the person who came last was the only other player to include allies).

The first game was a massacre mainly due to two specific rolls; firstly my Defiler was hit by one of the two Riptides and suffered a 'crew shaken' result which I would ignore if I didn't roll a 1. So the Defiler wasn't able to fire his pie-plate at the compacted Fire warriors. The second bad roll was made by the Bloodthirster who, 5" out from the Fire Warriors, weathered the overwatch and then rolled a 4 for his charge distance.

The second game was much closer, Relic against Eldar. My army started entirely on the board whilst he only deployed three war walkers and a wraithlord. I kept getting up to the relic with various troops but each time he was able to kill the model holding it until I didn't have any left (except the cultists but they were too far away). the Bloodthirster ate the Wraithlord in two rounds of combat but then lost his final wound just before he would have charged the Wave Serpent containing all of the important Eldar models. War Walkers are pretty dangerous and they were hiding in ruins. My Defiler threw a lot of pie-plates at them but one too many scattered off to hit nothing.

The third game was my lone victory. Four objectives, two in my corner and two in his. His Rune Priest, a unit of Grey Hunters and some Missile Wolves hid in his back corner for the whole game. Turn one he drops two drop pods of 5 wolf guard (each had four in power armour and a terminator) into my corner. The unit with the combi-plasmas dealt a huge amount of damage to my Marine squad but the combi-melta squad failed to damage my Defiler. The Bloodthirster ate one of the units whilst my Bloodletters ate the other. His final drop pod containing another grey hunter squad appeared near his second (unoccupied) objective and in the last three turns my Bloodthirster flew over, ate that squad and consolidated to within 3" of the objective he'd held since the beginning.

Game four was a 'Purge the Alien' one. It involved me trying to get into combat with his Fire Warriors. My Bloodletters were brought down to a single model in his opening volley. I was able to engage a unit of pathfinders with my Bloodthirster who died to shooting once he'd finished them off. My Defiler did quite well shooting at Fire Warriors but not enough to kill them before Farsight and his two XV8s dropped directly behind it. They failed to do more than a hull point of damage so it turned around and destroyed them in two turns of combat. My Marine squad with Sorcerer eventually engaged some Fire Warriors in combat but by that stage there were three of them left and the Riptide charged in the next turn of combat. The game ended 5-4 to him and all I had left were 13 cultists who had gone-to-ground in some ruins.

In future, I'm thinking I should bring the Lord rather than the Sorcerer because the Sorcerer only has two wounds and I was only able to cast one damaging spell in the tournament (Psychic Shriek killing an Autarch on a bike in game two). The Bloodthirster suffered against a large number of high-strength shots (lots of Str 5 from the Tau and Str 6 from the Eldar War Walkers). It might be incredibly cheesy but perhaps I should just run a Khorne daemon list with two of them.