News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Fluff question RE: The Emperors Champion.

Started by Chris, July 10, 2013, 05:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hey guys, I've had idea for unit I want to home brew for my Black Templars.
As I've read in the codex, the emperor's champion is chosen at the start of battle following some form of incarnation of the Emperor.

My question is this though, is a new one chosen for battle or do they fill that role until they die in combat?

Thanks for any help!

Narric

Reading the entry in the codex, I'd assume the Champion fulfills the role until he dies, at which point, on the next eve of battle, the new champion is appointed.

Its interesting to note, that each Champion is "gifted with the best weapons and armour in the force" and "it is the duty of his brethran to bear his body from the field of battle and reclaim the Armour and Sword" so I'd guess that a new Champion cannot be appointed until such equipment is recovered. It is already a dire omen when a Champion is slain, but the loss of the wargear could be a severe crippling blow to a Fighting Company's combat strength until it is recovered.

Wargamer

According to Priests of Mars, the Champion is chosen at the start of a Crusade. The Black Templars kneel in prayer and one of their number will be overcome with visions of the Emperor. He becomes the Champion until the Crusade is over.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Chris

Ok thanks guys.
I had a look on Lexicanum and they say `before battle'.

So potentially we could have a marine who once was the champ, but now returns back to their previous role. (This raises a whole new batch of question)

So the basic idea for my unit is this.

The Champions Guard.
Basically marines either drawn from the best of the sword brethren or previous champions. Tasked with protecting the champion as he fulfilled his duty. Should things get worse, they are to retrieve the champion and warfare and return to the chapter.

Would it be plausible for the unit to be made up of ex champions?