News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Narrics' Dungeon Crawler RP - [OOC & Discussion Thread]

Started by Narric, August 01, 2013, 11:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

OK, with three players ready to go, I'm updating the OP to include all the rules for everyone to see. This also makes it easier for people to see alterations, and where they are.

Narric's Dungeon Crawler RP
You are a trio of adventurers that have all mysteriously discovered this dungeon together. Believing there to be limitless treasure within, you begin descending into the unknown depths.
What treasures will you uncover? What monsters shall you defeat? What acts of morality will suit your preference? Maybe it is time to find out the answers to these questions.
Rules
Spoiler
- The Map is grid-based.
- Multiple Players may not occupy the same grid space, and you may not occupy a grid space with a hostile or friendly NPC.
- Each Player may move up to two spaces. You can move diagonally, but not through walls (unless a suitably size hole has been made).
- Only post once in between each DM posts. This effectively makes it a turn based RP, with no set order of play.
- All rolls must be made on "Invisible Castle," and be linked at the start of the post.
- You may attempt multiple actions per post (Like searching, opening doors, readying weapons), but you only have D4+1 Attacks/Spells per turn.

Characters
Spoiler
Each Player has control over a single Character. Each character has six Stats, showing their ability in given fields. These are as follows:

•   Strength (Str)
•   Dexterity (Dex)
•   Constitution (Con)
•   Intelligence (Int)
•   Wisdom (Wis)
•   Charisma (Cha)

To generate the value of each Stat, roll 4 D6, and add the three highest scores. Do these six times, and assign one score to each Stat.
Some stats define other characteristics, described below:
•   HP = Constitution x 2
•   Attacks = D4+1, rolled every time you attack, once per turn.
•   Strike! = Your Strength, rounded down to an appropriate dice. The whole number difference becomes the modifier.
E.g. Str: 14, would mean the characters' Strike! would be D6+1.
Str: 15 would be the same due to rounding down, but Str: 16 would result in D8 for Strike!
•   DAM = Your Strength halved, and rounded down to an Appropriate dice. The difference becomes the modifier. If this is higher than the DAM of the Weapon you are using, you use this Roll. Ranged Weapons and Magic Attacks are unaffected.
•   Def = 15 (for lvl 1 starting characters, regardless of class). It is assumed the character has suitable armour, wards or skill required to prevent enemies from harming them. The exact nature of this unspecified equipment is left up the Player of the character.
Saves
- Your Character has a save (and so do some enemeies). For Player Characters, this is equal to their Constitution halved (rounding up), you must roll under this on 2D8.
- Defensive equipment raises the score you must roll under, making a Save easier.
- Hostile NPCs have predetermined Saves.
?
Weapons
Spoiler
There are many weapons within the world. Some your characters will start with, others must be found.
Here are some weapons and their individual characteristics:

Melee Weapons
Offensive
•   Dagger - DAM = D4
•   Short Sword - DAM = D6
•   Long Sword - DAM = D8+2
•   Spear - DAM = D6
•   Hatchet - DAM = D8
•   Mace - DAM = 2D6

Defensive
•   Small Shield - +1 to Save
•   Medium Shield - +2 to Save
•   Large Shield - +4 to Save

Range Weapons
Crossbow - DAM = D6

Fighting Melee
Spoiler
- You may only attack foes that are in adjacent grid spaces.
- You may allocate your attacks to multiple targets, but you are limited to D4+1 attacks per turn.
- Roll Strike!
- If it is equal or higher than the targets Def, roll for DAM. A natural Max score on the Dice will always count as equal to the target Def.
- If it is less than the targets Def, they attack back immediately.

Attacking at Range
Spoiler
- Unless specified differently by the weapon used, you may only shoot twice per turn.
- The Strike! of a Ranged Attack is uses the Characters' Dexterity instead of Strength.
- This is resolved the same as a melee attack, though can be targeted on anything in view of the shooter.
- You may not make a Melee Attack on the second turn as a Ranged Attack.

Traps
Spoiler
There are many items that are trapped. To avoid being caught in them, you must be Wise and Intelligent.
- If you interact with something that is trapped, the GM rolls against your Intelligence.
- if the GM rolls higher than your Int, the trap is activated, and you take D6 damage.

- If you are aware of a Trap, you may attempt to disarm it.
- Roll against your Wisdom.
- If you roll equal to or Under your Wisdom, you have successfully disarmed the Trap.

Lockpicks
Lockpicks are the tools of the trade from Rogues and Thieves. For them, they're not just for locks.
- Lockpicks allow the user to re-roll for disarming Traps, and opening Secret Doors.
- Lockpicks are useless against magical wards.
?
Magic
Spoiler
- Each Mage may know spells from only ONE school of magic.
- Each Mage starts with two spells from their chosen school.
- LVL 1 Mages start with pre-set spells, as they've not yet been taught stronger magic.
- Mages gain 1Exp per successful spell they cast.
- Some Spells require more power than others. Where this is the case, a bracketed number will be beside the name of the spell. This is the number of Attacks/Spells the spell is equivalent to.

How to cast a Magic Attack
Spoiler
- Roll D20 against your wisdom
- If your roll is less than or equal to your Wisdom, it passes.
- If your roll is more than your Wisdom, it fails.
- If Passed, Roll your Strike! Magic Attacks use the Characters' Intelligence instead of Strength.
- Roll for the DAM of the Spell.

Schools of Magic
Spoiler
School of Fire
Spoiler
Fire Spit Ball
The Mage summons a small Fireball into their mouth, and spits it at the foe / DAM = D6
Touch of the Inferno
The Mage focuses magical energy into their hand(s), burning and/or melting anything they touch. / DAM = D8

School of Earth
Spoiler
Rock Servant (4)
The Mage gives life to surrounding rocks and stones, creating an Earthen Automaton to fight for them.
Earthen Automaton
HP: 10
Attacks: 1
Strike!: D6+3
DAM = 2D6
Def: 12
Salvo of Stones
The Mage levitates nearby small stones and pebbles into the air, and flings them at their foe / DAM = 3D4

School of Water
Freeze Water
All water within a certain area of the Mage freezes instantly, regardless of how hot it was to begin with. this can even be used on living things, though it isn't as easy to maintain. / DAM = D4+1
Humidity Splash
The Mage condenses the water in the air, slapping/slamming it into his foes / DAM = D8

School of Wind
Spoiler
Wind Blast
The Mage pushes the air towards their enemy, pushing it back, and knocking them to the ground / DAM = D4+2
Levitation
The Mage lifts an object within his view with magic. Living creatures can't be held for long, and so fall to the floor. / DAM = 2D4

Magic Items
- Potion of Healing - +(D8+4) HP, single use. Leaves empty potion bottle in inventory.
?
Leveling Up
Spoiler
- As you defeat enemies, you will gain experience.
- You only gain experience for enemies you kill. If multiple PCs kill an NPC, the Exp is shared evenly.
- Here are the Exp totals required to lvl up:
Lvl   Reached at Exp Total
2   100
3   250
4   525
5   990
6   1735
7   2905
8   4710
9   7460
10   11665

- With each Lvl up, you gain D3 pts to assign to three different Stats.
- Your Def increases by a specific amount, depending on your class. As follows:
•   Mage      +1
•   Rogue/Thief   +2
•   Ranger      +3
•   Barbarian      +4
•   Warrior      +5

Character Classes
Spoiler
When creating your character, you choose from one of the following classes. Each has unique equipment and abilities.

The Rogue/Thief
Spoiler
Weapons & Equipment
- 2x Daggers or 1x Short Sword
- 1x Crossbow
- Lockpicks

Abilitie(s)
Shadow Step – On a D8 score of 6+, the character may pass over floor based traps without activating them.

The Warrior
Spoiler
Weapons & Equipment
- 1x Short Sword
- 1x Medium Shield

Abilitie(s)
Blooded – When The Warrior loses 50% of his max HP, he gains +3 to his Strike! rolls.

The Mage
Spoiler
Weapons & Equipment
- 1x Mage Staff
- 1x Dagger
- 2x Potion of Healings

Abilitie(s)
Caught in the Magic – When rolling to cast a spell, if a natural "1" is scored against their Wisdom, the Mage may cast an additional spell. The additional spell cannot generate more additional spells.

The Barbarian
Spoiler
Weapons & Equipment
- 1x Mace
- 1x Small Shield

Abilitie(s)
Smash! – By reducing his number of attacks to 1, the Barbarians' Strike! and DAM rolls gain +3 to the result.

The Ranger
Spoiler
Weapons & Equipment
- 1x Crossbow
- 1x Hatchet

Abilitie(s)
Rapid Fire –The Ranger may shot D3 times for each of the two single shots. These D3 shots must be at the same target.

The Man They Call Jayne

Cool. Mage me. I like a good spell thrower.

What do I need to do?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

I'm mostly seeing if anyone is interested. I'm writing up descriptions of all the rooms before starting.

I can send you all the info for character making. Hopefully it isn't too restrictive. I just don't want to have to deal with too much complexicty :P

Mabbz

On the grounds that they're fun to play, dibs on the rogue/thief. Named... Kira. I've been watching DS9.

Narric

We'll see how fun this is :P

This is an untested RP ruleset. I genuinely don't know if it will be fun. XD

Sent you the info you'll need.

I'm off to bed, and have an early shift tomorrow, so I won't be able to reply until the afternoon tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see who joins in the final slot :P

Mabbz

Kira Ravel

Stat rolls: 14, 16, 12, 8, 12, 13
Strength (Str): 12
Dexterity (Dex): 16
Constitution (Con): 8
Intelligence (Int): 14
Wisdom (Wis): 13
Charisma (Cha): 12

HP: 16

Equipment:
2x daggers, crossbow, lockpicks

Appearance: 5'8", doesn't rely on strength as much as speed, so she's toned but not hugely muscly. Long red hair tied into a single braided ponytail. She wear charcoal grey dyed leather armour. She has a couple of scars, mostly in hard to notice areas. In short, she's practically identical in appearance to Kahlan from Enter, The Darkness (armour aside). I'm lazy like that.

Bio: She joined the group to find treasure. Simple as that. She's a career thief that find robbing dungeons to be a better idea than robbing people, since people tend to hold a grudge. That said, she'll steal anything if she thinks it's worth the risk. Despite her fairly easygoing attitude she doesn't actually talk about herself much, so that is all you know.

Railgun Convention

I'll go for it. I'll go for a warrior. Every party needs a tank, right?

EDIT: Seeing as Narric is asleep, would anyone else be so kind as to send me character creation info?
So how many crashes have I survived now?

The Man They Call Jayne

Ozkar Rokahn

Mage

Str:    12
Dex:  13
Con:  13
Int:    14
Wis:   14
Cha:  11

HP: 26

School of Earth

Equipment:

Dagger
Healing Potions x2
Mage Staff

A man in his early 30s, Ozkar is tall and dark haired. Far from powerfully built he seems almost fragile, however as many unfortunate muggers have learned, he is protected by powerful wards and talismans and has the earth itself at his command. Many a time has he been backed into a corner when his would be robbers have found themselves assualted from behind by a gigantic golem formed from the rocks around them.

While he is a civilised man, any form of threat is met with the harshest possible retaliation and he takes a secret pleasure in being allowed to cut loose from time to time.

Narric

RC has info from me, which is Jayne or Mabbz sent him their stuff, would mean he has his starting equipment and ability info.

The "Rulebook" and "Player Map" have been uploaded, and are viewable here:
Rulebook - http://sta.sh/0245go3oqfzo
Map - http://sta.sh/0gnjw22w7u0

Don't download them, as I will update them as we play, and new things are uncovered. The rules are pretty much clay right now, so if there is anything that seems long winded/badly written/stupid, don't hesitate to say anything.

Only I know where the treasure is, as I have the full map.

One thing I will say, is that I do have a couple chests doted around, which are player specific :P They will be in a group, so only go to YOUR chest. They are locked by Destiny, not some physical chunk of metal (looking at you Mabbz ;))

Railgun Convention

God my rolls were terrible...

STR: 12
DEX: 12
CON: 13
INT: 9
WIS: 5
CHA: 3 (Apparently rolled 4 1s!)

For god's sake, I have worse physical stats than the mage! And those are my best stats!

This is where I decide my policy of always take the first roll regardless starts to fall apart...

HP: 26
Save: 7(9)

Equipment:
Short Sword (DAM D6), Medium Shield (Save +2)

Greg is a Thug. A Henchman. Hired muscle is the only thing he's good at, and he's not even very good at that. What Ozkar was thinking of hiring him, I have no idea, except as something to use as a bridge for the inevitable pit of spikes. He's fairly tall and reasonably bulky, but otherwise is a second rate physical specimen. As for mental... He has a decent memory for directions, and a good eye for combat situations, but don't expect anything special if you ask him what 2+2 is. In fact, don't expect anything - he's mute. (Yay, save for bad charisma!)

The Man They Call Jayne

I might suggest that you use the D&D rule here and if you roll less that an 8 for a stat, re roll it. Otherwise you will be more hinderance than help I think.

Railgun Convention

Heh. I think I shall do that :P

Here, have two 10s.

Not great, but I shall see what I can do with them...

STR: 12
DEX: 12
CON: 13
INT: 9 10
WIS: 5 10
CHA: 3 9

I was hoping more than one dice per roll would score above a three, but there you go... At least I won't have to be mute in an attempt to save my dignity now.

Narric

I'm thinking I'll copy and paste all the Rules into the OP. The Map will be refreshed there also.

Seems I can't edit files once they're in St.ash. :P

I'll get the first RP post up when I can. My GF is determined to have short hair, and its all steam ahead now :P If I'm lucky, it will be the next thing I do.

Narric

Crap, just realised I never thought of a searching mechanism :P

Shall we try 2D8 (you roll this), and then I'll tell you if you find anything ;)

Readying weapons requires no roll, but I need to think of something for opening doors that could potentially be trapped. 2D8 against your Dex?

Mabbz

Quote from: Narric on August 02, 2013, 03:15:00 PM
One thing I will say, is that I do have a couple chests doted around, which are player specific :P They will be in a group, so only go to YOUR chest. They are locked by Destiny, not some physical chunk of metal (looking at you Mabbz ;))
Are you implying that I would take loot that was clearly designed for one of my comrades? How dare you suggest such a thing where the others can hear you!

Quote from: Narric on August 01, 2013, 11:16:44 PM
•   Strike! = Your Strength, rounded down to an appropriate dice. The whole number difference becomes the modifier.
E.g. Str: 14, would mean the characters' Strike! would be D6+1.
Str: 15 would be the same due to rounding down, but Str: 16 would result in D8 for Strike!
•   DAM = Your Strength halved, and rounded down to an Appropriate dice. The difference becomes the modifier. If this is higher than the DAM of the Weapon you are using, you use this Roll. Ranged Weapons and Magic Attacks are unaffected.
I'm not really sure what this means. How does rounding 14 down make d6+1?

Also, is there a benefit for dual wielding daggers?