News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

1850 Dark Eldar- Eldar Tournament List (Includes Forgeworld)

Started by crisis_vyper, August 06, 2013, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crisis_vyper

Heya all I wanted to get some input about this list that may be used in a 1850 pts tournament by the end of this year in my country. This list is also quite unique, as this is the first time there is a tournament back home that willingly allow us to use Forgeworld units. Here is my list with Forgeworld goodies included.

Eldar (Allied Detachment) Selections:

HQ
1. Farseer (120pts)
Eldar Jetbike
Singing Spear

Troops
1. Windrider Jetbike Squad (51pts)
Windrider Guardian x 3

1. Windrider Jetbike Squad (51pts)
Windrider Guardian x 3

Fast Attack
1. Wasp Assault Walker Squadron (210pts)
Wasp
2 x Scatter Laser
Wasp
2 x Scatter Laser
Wasp
2 x Scatter Laser

Heavy Support
1. War Walker Squadron (210pts)
War Walker
2x Scatter Laser
War Walker
2x Scatter Laser
War Walker
2x Scatter Laser

Dark Eldar (Main Detachment) Selections:

HQ
1.Baron Sathonyx (105pts)
Hellglaive, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Shadowfield, Splinter Pistol, Wychsuit
Custom Skyboard
Splinter Pods

Troops
.1 Kabalite Warriors (125pts)
4x Kabalite Warrior
Kabalite Warrior with blaster

Venom
Flickerfield, Splinter Cannon

.2 Kabalite Warriors (125pts)
4x Kabalite Warrior

Venom (65pts)

.3 Kabalite Warriors (125pts)
4x Kabalite Warrior

Venom

.4 Kabalite Warriors (125pts)
4x Kabalite Warrior

Venom

.5 Kabalite Warriors (125pts)
4x Kabalite Warrior

Venom

.6 Kabalite Warriors (125pts)
4x Kabalite Warrior

Venom

Heavy Support
1.Ravager (115pts)
Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Flickerfield

2.Ravager (115pts)

3.Ravager (115pts)

The premise of the list is quite simple, as it entirely forego Flyers to gain a superior advantage on the ground with its firepower. However, I felt that this list lacks something (other than soul of course, since this is a tournament list and we all know that tournament lists got no soul. :P). Criticisms and comments are welcomed.

The Man They Call Jayne

I may well be wrong, but I was under the impression that the allied detachment had a maximum size of 500 points?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

crisis_vyper

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 07, 2013, 12:05:56 AM
I may well be wrong, but I was under the impression that the allied detachment had a maximum size of 500 points?

Just a minimum of 1 HQ and 1-2 Troop choices, followed by 0-1 choices of elites, Fast Attack and Heavy Support

Arguleon-veq

I think one big issue with it is that you will be seeing lots of serpent spam eldar at a tournament and I just cant see how this list will deal with them reliably. To be fair though there isnt a lot you could really add to try and fix that.

Maybe give the walkers scatter laser/BL, it gives you nice anti air then and its not bad for dealing with serpents [at least it gives you extra S8 AP2 once the ravagers are dead]
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on August 07, 2013, 10:03:05 PM
I think one big issue with it is that you will be seeing lots of serpent spam eldar at a tournament and I just cant see how this list will deal with them reliably. To be fair though there isnt a lot you could really add to try and fix that.

Maybe give the walkers scatter laser/BL, it gives you nice anti air then and its not bad for dealing with serpents [at least it gives you extra S8 AP2 once the ravagers are dead]

Agreed, due to the natural national distribution of armies but at the same time disagree due to the Tau and Necron presence. There is also the new Marine book coming up that could shake this list as well, but we will have to see in time.

Nonetheless, as you have spotted the War Walkers (of both kinds) are my main issue here, and I was wondering if I should go about incorporating other elements instead of these two units. In essence I have 420 points to play with that I have a lot of doubts about, and I am not going to spend them on more Venoms. Would Reavers/Warp Spiders/Scourges be a better choice or should I go for some assault elements as well?

Arguleon-veq

Warp Spiders are a nice choice, they can take down serpents with weight of fire and use LOS blocking terrain or deep strike to close the distance. They are great against Tau and Crons thanks to their low initiative and can reliably bring down big monsters like wraithknights and riptides. They even fill on for some anti air at a push.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on August 09, 2013, 01:50:20 PM
Warp Spiders are a nice choice, they can take down serpents with weight of fire and use LOS blocking terrain or deep strike to close the distance. They are great against Tau and Crons thanks to their low initiative and can reliably bring down big monsters like wraithknights and riptides. They even fill on for some anti air at a push.

Question; how do they bring down Wraithknights and Riptides reliably? I thought that their rending thing only works on 6s? I think I need to be told how this is done, as I am not understanding it.  ???

Arguleon-veq

Those 6's do the job. Against a Riptide a volley of shots is looking at doing 3 wounds to it and then you can easily jump and run out of charge range and should only take a few losses to its return fire, or none if there is decent LOS blocking terrain. You get the extra damage on the Riptide as your wounding them on 3's thanks to their low I.

Against a Wraithknight its not as good but they are doing 2 wounds, they then jump out of charge range and at the very best it can kill 2 in return with its standard set up, more likely 1 or 0.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, but where does the Jetseer and Baron go?
They'll be pretty high priority targets, and I don't think that the small Jetbikes will do well enough to keep them at bay.
Not sure on the Wasp Walkers, but have heard that they're quite good for their points.

Let us know how it goes!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

crisis_vyper

Quote from: BigToof on August 14, 2013, 01:07:05 AM
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, but where does the Jetseer and Baron go?
They'll be pretty high priority targets, and I don't think that the small Jetbikes will do well enough to keep them at bay.
Not sure on the Wasp Walkers, but have heard that they're quite good for their points.

Let us know how it goes!

Best,
-BT

Baron will hide..... :shifty:

As for the bikers I may make a large squad of them instead. Still in the works as of this moment for the entire list, especially when I want to make a more thematic Dark Eldar list.

Rarity Declis

You have how many Blasters and Poisoned Shots from your Dark Eldar? A Wraithknight, Riptide, or anything else that's big is not going to be a problem. You can likely down a fully-buffed Great Unclean One. With that many Venoms and Kabalites, don't worry about Monstrous Creatures. You've got this.

*Looks at list* 3 Ravagers... standard and effective, but boring to look at.

I'd suggest dropping a unit of Venom/Kabalites, and picking up a 20-Eldar unit of Hellions to accompany the Baron, look awesome on the field, look scary and absorb shots whilst in cover, destroy most things in close combat, and have 42 twin-linked poisoned shots on overwatch to scare off any Monstrous Creatures (or anything, really) from trying to assault you first, as well as having a unit that can literally pick an objective that's been guarded anywhere, get to it quickly in cover, and then remove anything in your way.

Now, I'm not an Eldar player, but what you REALLY need is a babysitting unit to sit on an objective and hold it thick and thin, because the Dark Eldar won't give you that (Wracks, at their best, still aren't it really). So, perhaps Wraithguard, Dire Avengers, Guardians, Rangers... Depending on your points and the amount of terrain they have and probably what models you have.

And your anti-air is lacking, I imagine that the Eldar have an anti-air counter... the Crimson Hunter? Grab him. Grab two of him. Then you control the skies! Use your Baron to lock down and murder anyone who can threaten it, use your Ravagers to take down anti-flyer tanks or such.

The Farseer will likely join a Windrider unit, but 3 isn't really much of a bodyguard, and you can bet he'll draw attention (no one wants to face buffed Dark Eldar).

Right, that's my 2 cents. I hope it helps.