News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Help with selecting army for upcoming tourney

Started by Warptide, August 28, 2013, 06:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warptide

Hello enclavites of S2! It's been awhile since I've been on but it's good to be back. Nice to see things aren't totally dead. I'm participating in a tournament this weekend and am debating between two lists: one BA, the other Eldar. I have a lot of experience with both lists but allow me to explain my local meta quickly.

We have no daemon players, and I'm fairly certain no one I'm concerned with is going to bring Tau or even Eldar. The players I am most concerned with (ie- most skill, experience with competitive play) are bringing the following kinds of list: Venomspam with Eldar allies, hoard Space Wolves, Necrons w/ Grey Knight allies, Mega-armored battle wagon orks, and a balanced but nasty IG list.

The two I'm most fearful of are venomspam w/ eldar and IG. The missions are going to be old-school recon with spearhead deployment, kill points on diagonal deployment, and d3+1 objectives on standard 12" deployment.

So here are my lists, Eldar and Blood Angels respectively (both 2k):

The Blood Angels force starts out behind an aegis line with the pods in reserve. On the first turn I cast my div powers on the devs and fly the assault marines out while 1 tac marine squad and the Death company hit the opponents backline. Somewhere juicy but not too suicidal. The trick here is using divination to enhance my shooting and close combat, and using Corbulo as an insane bullet magnet (using look outs to avoid instadeath by AP2 stuff).

HQ

Librarian...115
-Infernus pistol, divination powers

Librarian...125
-Jump pack, divination powers

ELITES

Sanguinary priest w/ jump pack & Corbulo...180   

TROOPS   

10-man Assault squad... 200
-Flamer x2      

10-man Assault squad... 210
-Meltagun x2

10-man Death Company ... 260   
-Boltguns, power fists x2
-Drop pod

10-man tactical squad...220
-Meltagun, sergeant w/ combi-melta, missile launcher
-Drop pod   

10-man tactical squad...220
-Meltagun, sergeant w/ combi-melta, heavy bolter
-Drop pod

HEAVY SUPPORT   

7 Devastators... 162   
-Missile launchers x4

7 Devastators... 222   
-Lascannons x4   

FORTIFICATIONS

Aegis Defense Line w/ Icarus lascannon...85

The Eldar list is a mix of things I like in the book and have had good experiences with. I mostly hang around 24" and strike weak points when I can, in typical Eldar fashion. Lots of guerilla warfare tactics here, some sit back and shoot with the prisms. I like to play serpents aggressively.

HQ

Farseer...100      

Spiritseer...70

TROOPS   

20 guardian defenders...220      
-Scatter laser, starcannon

5 Dire Avengers...210
-Wave serpent w/ twin-linked scatter laser, underslung shuriken cannon, and holo-fields

5 Dire Avengers...200
-Wave serpent w/ twin-linked bright lance and holo-fields

5 Wraithguard...295
-Armed with D-cannons
-Wave serpent w/ twin-linked bright lance, and holo-fields

FAST ATTACK

7 Warp Spiders...133   

Crimson Hunter...160

6 Swooping Hawks...121
-Exarch w/ sunrifle

HEAVY SUPPORT   

Fire Prism...140
-Holo-fields

Fire Prism...140
-Holo-fields

3 War Walkers...210
-Each w/ scatter laser, starcannon

So there you have it. I'll take comments and criticism on either list, my playstyle, any feedback you'd like to give ;D

Chicop76

Well if you are worried about serpent spam the best solution to that is powerfist type weapons. The problem is they need to be on bikes or jet bikes. I guess assault marines wouldn't be bad, but they aren't hard to kill even with fnp.

If you can get rear armour shots than that would be helpful.

Glancing over both list I would say more fist for your ba. I am confused that you are running a spirtseer with no wraithguard. Due to cover denial of abundance rangers are not as good as they used to be.

I give you 5% of my thoughts. I have more, but I like to keep threads alive.

Warptide

Quote from: Chicop76 on August 28, 2013, 06:47:44 PM
Well if you are worried about serpent spam the best solution to that is powerfist type weapons. The problem is they need to be on bikes or jet bikes. I guess assault marines wouldn't be bad, but they aren't hard to kill even with fnp.

If you can get rear armour shots than that would be helpful.

Glancing over both list I would say more fist for your ba. I am confused that you are running a spirtseer with no wraithguard. Due to cover denial of abundance rangers are not as good as they used to be.

I give you 5% of my thoughts. I have more, but I like to keep threads alive.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not particularly worried about serpent spam. The reason I took off power fists of sergeants and downgraded my wraithguard to dire avengers is the same reason: tough decision with points.

The assault marines are mostly a distraction unit. My opponent has to deal with them or they'll be killing the crap out of their shooty army in CC.

I go with the spiritseer over the warlock even without wraiths because of the +1 ld, +1 wound, and extra roll on the telepathy chart.

Quote from: Chicop76 on August 28, 2013, 06:47:44 PM
I have more, but I like to keep threads alive.

Good luck! Feel free to stop back if you have something you'd like to share, I'd appreciate it. I made some modifications to The Eldar list to get the Wraiths back in.

Chicop76

I will go into the spirt seer and may go into other things later. I can see two farseers or a farseer and two warlocks. I just don't see any benefit of taking the spirtseer without the wraith guard.

Back in 3rd and 4th 5 man wraithguard with warlocks in a serpent was a very strong build. It looks like you are limited to adding a warlock to wraithguard now :(. You still can put a spirtseer with them and do the same thing although more expensive.

The wraithguard to me is a very solid troop to take, either the expensive d-sythes of doom, it is a strong assault deterant, plus it erazes troops when you jump out.

However I would target your d-scythe wraith guard serpent to hell, especially if a spirtseer is with them. Hince regular wraithgurad may be a better option, I would target them still to force them to walk. It's the same with fire dragons.

Basicaly which means d-scythe guard are almost good alpha units. If they glance death the units transport in the enemies face next turn the enemy will have to deal with flame death, and may loose most units if they assault the unit. Wall of fire is soo awesome.

Anyway I think the deathspinner is also a good tank as well. The fact it's barrage means you can snipe out characters from units. That also means it will be targeted like no tommorrow. I learned kill that vehicle as soo as I see it.

Still I think it wouldn't be a bad ideal to have some durability in your army, wraithguard??? So you can take objectives and actually hold them.

With Eldar you can go for the turn 5 grab the ole objective game. It can work as long as you are not facing a heavy anti vehicle list. After playing necrons and eldar my Tau can wipe out wave serpents before turn 5. I took out all 10 eldar vehicles before by turn 4. Sadly most of them was glanced to death, but I learned Riptide smash is very effective taking out serpents.

Eve though serpents are hard to kill they still ca be easily glanced to death. Remember they are only armour 12 which isn't the best armour out there.