News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Angels Descendant - A WIP Chapter

Started by Chris, September 02, 2013, 06:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hey guys,
So I thought I'd stick up a few pictures of where I'm at on my current Chapter. The Angels Descendant.

So this is what the colour scheme is supposed to look like:

Here is how they look so far.

This is my first Tactical Squad, I also have a converted Librarian that is very nearly finished, I'll stick up a few pics of him as and when I can.

Narric

They're looking good, even if it is hard to see the brown of the armour.

You may need to thin down your paints a bit more, as some areas seem patchy, or sort of lumpy.

Rarity Declis

I like the modelling.

Now, regarding the edges of the bases; either paint them, or repaint them black; having little flecks of colour looks terrible. I prefer them to be painted whatever colour you based it, but it's personal preference.

The modelling is REALLY good.

Maybe you should get a wash to use just add some depth?

And practice your highlights more; use the wrist you use to hold the model and press your painting wrist against it to steady your hand? Use a smaller brush? Just put paint on the very tip.

I like the brighter colour of the Marine at the back; it adds something to the dark main colour.

I see you've got some damaged shoulder pads; trying to cover it up looks bad, so paint it damaged, make it look intentional. Cracks from a Mace hit, or explosions of a hail of bolt shells, or perhaps acid melting away at it?

Sorry, I always seem to come down hard on people, but it's because I see promise. Keep plugging away, and soon you can critique my Tau I'll put on here :D

Chris

Brilliant, thanks for the input.

I hadn't even noticed the flecks on the bases... I've no idea how... Although since posting, I've looked, smartened them up and added another drybrush to them.

Thanks for the comment on the modelling. It was my first attempt at True Scaling. Its SUCH a pain in the ass! But it opens whole new doors to positioning. (Hence why one beakie is taller than the other).

I'll work on thinning my paints, I agree about the highlights, they are a bit messy. It is one of my first attempts at highlighting and half way through the squad I began to lose my focus.

Thanks again for the input, I'll get some pics of my librarian up soon along with another little toy.

Narric

If you're going for Truescale, i'd recommend switching to Artscale. Here is a very detail resurce for it: http://masteroftheforge.com/

Most truescale conversions I see often look pretty bad, and when mixed with heroic, are often easily missed. Going Artscale, your models will always catch attention, and there is no way of mistaking an Artscale for Heroic.

Chris

Yeah? I've had a look and it looks like too much hard work. I thought I'd give it a crack on this combat squad, but it didn't work out so well... Perhaps I'll just do it for my Veterans...

I have some Vanguards planned, I just need to buy them now!

Narric

It will definately give your Veterans a more imposing image next to your rank&file Marines :)