News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The entire Ultramarines chapter

Started by Cammerz, September 14, 2013, 11:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cammerz

I'm sure someone will do the maths to tell us whether GW has taken anything off the price of each individual kit, I somehow doubt it.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440270a&prodId=prod2160196a

£7065 which is $11690, AU$17645, 9435€, approx. 2 years of student loan, you get the picture.

They say that every 40k enthusiast desires an entire chapter, I'm not sure that's quite true but if I won the euromillions or something I might consider it. Mine wouldn't be Ultramarines of course but this might be the way to get there if I did try.

I'm now enjoying the image of the postman trying to deliver this, just how big would it be all in one box? And how much would it weigh?

InsaneTD

They'd just send it by Courier. Probably take a whole van though.

Thantos

In the 90s there was a UK scheme where each GW painted up an UM unit to go towards a display of the entire chapter. Got a picture of the finished chapter in white dwarf somewhere here...
And that took like 2 months to complete for all the GW stores in the country... now YOU can attempt to paint a chapter single handedly  :-X
I dont have enough lifetime for that amount of painting lol.

I like how down the right side of the page it says "Have you got? ... Macragge Blue Spray" ... coz your gonna fraggin need it kiddo!

The Allfather

A couple gallons of paint and an airbrush, and as long as you're not overly self critical you could get it done!

The Man They Call Jayne

Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Sorck

Well let's see how time it will take...

If it takes you a minute to clip a space marine off a sprue and a further minute to glue it (which I suppose is possible if you were very quick and used an assembly line) then it'd take about 37 hours just to assemble the infantry. The tanks and similar could be done in, say, 15 minutes each which would add in another 35 hours. So if you were really organised and spent 6 hours a day working on your army then you'd need 12 days to complete the construction phase.

Now for the painting. We can assume the use of a blue spray paint - whether GWs or another brand it doesn't really matter. It will take an average of a minute per squad and the same per vehicle to spray. This will add in at least 4 more hours worth of work. If you then apply a wash to all the miniatures then that's another minute per squad and hence another 4 hours in total. Now you've got to paint the shoulder pads, faces, gun details etc. If they took 4 minutes per model then you need to add in 74 more hours. Plus your tanks will need some more painting which should take 10 minutes per tank. Now that'll probably bring this painting section up to 100 hours.

Now we have two major elements to go - basing and shoulder pad details. The transfers will take 30 seconds per miniature if applied quickly so we can assume this would be a 3 hour task. The bases will first need painting - say a minute each. (6 hours) then will need sand applying (another 6 hours) and lastly some tufts of grass (another 3 hours).

So, all in all we're looking at 37 days worth of work if you worked 6 hours per day (which would be nearing the limit for a hobby obsessed person who has a job).

If you pay someone to build and paint the force then you're looking at £1400 in wages (if paying minimum wage) and at least £300 in hobby supplies and storage costs will push it up further.

If anyone has the time, they could add up the costs of buying the units separately and then redo the calculation assuming you can buy battleforces.

Arguleon-veq

Yeah I was wondering if your actually saving any money doing it this way or it its just another one of those were you arent actually saving anything besides some clicking time by buying it like this.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

salamut2202

OMG, could you imagine the poor bugger's company who'd be commissioned to do this? I'm not sure anyone would take it up of any that I think of. Then again, if the person could buy that off hand then they would probably pay any price offered - or send it to different companies :P

Narric

Hmmm. I was going to see what kits they DIDN'T  include, but then I noticed the 6 Strikeforces, which garaunteed would have invalidated my arguement.

Personally, this is a huge joke and not a very good one at that. Only people who live and die by 40k would buy this, and that will probably be people with ridiculous amounts of disposable income, so probably would have bought it all anyway.

If anything, it works against GW, pointing out exactly how expensive it is. With Xmas down the line, I doubt any parent will want to even consider a game where they'd have to fork out this much cash in one go.

Matt1785

I just like how GW advertises it as "For the first time ever, you can purchase an entire chapter."  Really?  Are there models in this that weren't offered before?  Are there specific heroes that are new to this purchase alone?  No, but that makes it seem much better then it it doesn't it?

Price is probably EXACTLY what you would pay to buy them all separately because that's the biggest joke of all with their "bundles" they offer.

"For the exact same price you would pay if you went through the site, NOW we offer it to you in a one click!  We can't discount it though, because that would be silly."

GreaterGoodNewZealand

This 'entire chapter' set honestly makes no sense to me. I just can't see why anyone would want to get that many miniatures all at once. Storage would become a major issue and as others have pointed out, painting would be a hassle to say the least.

As for price, I went through and worked out the total cost of each model/set included at full price and compared it to the price given for the chapter set. In New Zealand Dollars (the currency I'm using for the calculations), the chapter costs $20,685. I worked out that everything that they list as being included would cost $23,077 if they were bought separately. So if my math is right, this chapter set..... has been discounted. Probably not by much, but it does seem to have been discounted.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

InsaneTD

Have GW finally realised bundles should be slightly discounted?

I expect GW will announce any sales in WD.

Paradoxrifts

I reckon that you'd still be able to get it cheaper from a trustworthy discount retailer, especially if you were after that much gear all in one go.

The Allfather

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, they're really one of the only companies I know of that don't have any sales, ever... its kind of weird.

Arguleon-veq

Yeah there is deffo quite a big discount on it.

They will sell a few of these too, there are plenty of people that play this game that love mega battles or just collecting and have easily enough disposable income to be able to afford this and it not really bother them.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33