News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

1500 points "Assault Guard" list

Started by Mabbz, September 18, 2013, 07:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

So, for the last few years I've been using basically the same Imperial Guard list. It is a small, elite force primarily designed to blast anything that gets close before finishing it in combat. It almost invariably loses, but I use it anyway because it's fun. That said, I figured it might be interesting to hear your thoughts on how to improve it.

I could probably add about 10-20 guardsmen models and almost any number of sentinels, and I am more than willing to convert models (My medusa can also be used as a hydra, and both were converted from a chimera using, amongst other things, milk bottle tops and a pen). I am not willing to buy any new models though, as I simply cannot afford it.

Now, the list:

HQ:
Company command squad: Power Axe, Master of Ordnance, Lascannon, Carapace armour

Ministorum Priest: eviscerator

Ministorum Priest: eviscerator

Techpriest (I admit, I only have this because I call my army an Adeptus Mechanicus taskforce)

Troops:
Veteran Squad: Grenadiers, Power Axe, Heavy Flamer, 2 x Meltaguns
- Chimera: Heavy bolter, Heavy Flamer

Veteran Squad: Grenadiers, Power Axe, 2 x Flamers, Meltagun
- Chimera: Multi Laser, Heavy Flamer

Veteran Squad: Grenadiers, Power Sword, Lascannon, 2 x Plasma Guns (By this point you may have noticed my obsession with giving sergeants power weapons)

Fast Attack:
2 x Armoured Sentinels: 2 x Plasma Cannons

2 x Armoured Sentinels: 2 x Lascannons

5 x Rough Riders (I mostly use these because I like my converted bikers)

Heavy Support:
Manticore

Medusa: Armoured Crew Compartment

So yeah, that's the list. Most of my opponents are terminator heavy space marines, either with drop pods or land raiders. The priests go in the chimera veteran squads, and they counter charge anything that gets near. Everything else sits back and shoots.

Arguleon-veq

I really like the idea, Ive tried to run a similar theme a few times.

I find Straken to be really nice in this kind of list, he is a real powehouse for his points cost.

Ive used Ogryns with a Lord Commissar quite a few times and they have killed Terminators, Avatars etc. They are rubbish without the Commissar but with him they are really handy so long as you arent facing S10 [so wraithknights] but as your main opponents are Marines they should be ok, load them up in a Chimera and they should do a good job.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Mabbz

I have considered Stracken a lot, partly for the reasons you said and partly because his stats are perfect to represent a high ranking techpriest. I don't take him because I like my current command squad (it's a good source of anti-tank, and I have a sentimental attatchment to the Master of Ordnance) and I've never really found the points to take a second. Also I can see my opponent focusing on him a lot so I'd rather put him in a chimera for extra defence, but I don't have a spare model.

It's a shame because I really do like him. Maybe I'll try out a list where I replace my standard command squad with a more assaulty one led by him. I'd probably remove the rough riders to give me more points, especially since I'd want another priest for his unit

I've considered Ogryns too, but in this case I simply couldn't decide how I'd make them without buying anything new.

Narric

Hmmm, I've considered Assault Guard myself before. A few things I would have done differently is NOT use Power Axes, and use a few more Rough Riders.

For 130pts, you can get a much more effective CC HQ in a Lord Commissar with Power Sword and Carapace Armour. OK, you risk some "Summary Executions" but it will make your guys stick around longer. You also have close to 45pts for a second Techpriest.

I'd advice against the Heavy Flamer on the Vets, and suggest a Meltagun instead. May be fewer shots, but Heavy Flamers are "Heavy" so cannot move shoot and charge. However, swap out all weapons to Heavy Flamers on the Chimeras. There is your anti-cover.

I'd recommend trading in one Armoured Sentinal for a Second Rough Rider Squad, and downgrading the second AS to a Scout, with Plasma Cannon. This gives you two units of fast shock-assault cavalry, and some more lovely vehicle mounted Plasma Cannon Shots. More CC and some extra Blasts, whats wrong with that :P

I'd again recommend swapping out the Manticore for 1-2 Hydras. Manticores have "Limited Ammo" and at BS3, thats ammo will not be reliable. Hydras also give you some Anti-air support. It also has some anti-inf fire-power for you own deployment zone with the hull-mounted Heavy Bolters.

The other Ordnance tanks are not suitable in my opinion for a CC list. Keep it to a Basilisk, which can help thin some numbers before they get into your zone, and use you spare points on a pintle-weapon.

This is just my opinion, based on how I'd make this sort of list myself. Not gonna say my suggestions are fool-proof :P

Mabbz

Quote from: Narric on September 18, 2013, 10:48:01 PM
Hmmm, I've considered Assault Guard myself before. A few things I would have done differently is NOT use Power Axes, and use a few more Rough Riders.
Yeah, I have a minor obsession with giving power weapons to people. And combined with a priest, They're quite useful against terminators. If I needed the points for something I'd remove them, but I'd rather have them if possible :-\

QuoteFor 130pts, you can get a much more effective CC HQ in a Lord Commissar with Power Sword and Carapace Armour. OK, you risk some "Summary Executions" but it will make your guys stick around longer. You also have close to 45pts for a second Techpriest.
I'd go for an axe rather than a sword (costs the same, lower initiative isn't a big problem compared to the advantage of AP2), but other than that, good advice. I'll look into it.

QuoteI'd advice against the Heavy Flamer on the Vets, and suggest a Meltagun instead. May be fewer shots, but Heavy Flamers are "Heavy" so cannot move shoot and charge. However, swap out all weapons to Heavy Flamers on the Chimeras. There is your anti-cover.
Amusingly, Heavy Flamers are actually Assault weapons. Cover isn't really an issue since most of my opponents are marines (usually CC oriented)

QuoteI'd recommend trading in one Armoured Sentinal for a Second Rough Rider Squad, and downgrading the second AS to a Scout, with Plasma Cannon. This gives you two units of fast shock-assault cavalry, and some more lovely vehicle mounted Plasma Cannon Shots. More CC and some extra Blasts, whats wrong with that :P
As much as I'd love more rough riders, I'd have to buy more scout bikes to make them. I might be able to convert more from random bitz, but I'm not sure. Also Scouts Sentinels can't have Plasma Cannons.

QuoteI'd again recommend swapping out the Manticore for 1-2 Hydras. Manticores have "Limited Ammo" and at BS3, thats ammo will not be reliable. Hydras also give you some Anti-air support. It also has some anti-inf fire-power for you own deployment zone with the hull-mounted Heavy Bolters.
Strangely, no one at my local GW uses flyers. The Manticore may not be the most accurate thing in the world, but with d3 shots it's not as bad you'd think and if it's still alive by turn 5 (when it runs out of ammo) then I've likely won. I've found it's a very reliable tank hunter thanks to that S10 ordnance.

QuoteThe other Ordnance tanks are not suitable in my opinion for a CC list. Keep it to a Basilisk, which can help thin some numbers before they get into your zone, and use you spare points on a pintle-weapon.
I fight Terminators a lot, so I prefer the AP2 Medusa. I've never had a problem with the lower range, and the S10 means I can ID more stuff.

QuoteThis is just my opinion, based on how I'd make this sort of list myself. Not gonna say my suggestions are fool-proof :P
Always happy to hear more opinions. I doubt I'll use any except the Lord Commissar, but thanks anyway.

Narric

I didn't mean no Power Weapons at all, I just would advise against Axes. You're I1, exactly as you would for a Power Fist. For +1 Str and AP2? As this is Guard, Powerfists are increadibly cheap, so that extra 5pts to upgrade to a fist isn't that bad. If you stick to Power Weapons, use either the Sword or the Maul. The Maul gives you a better boost to your str at the expense of AP, but you'll be wounding more marines with it.

And re-reading the entry on Scouts Sentinals, I see my mistake. I instead say use Missile Launchers on them. Then you have you Blast for Anti-Horde, and your precision shot for Anti-Armour. It is also half the price of a Plasma Cannon, meaning you can go for the Powerfists above ;)

Could have sworn I saw Heavy Flamers as Heavy somewhere. *shrugs* Ignore that suggestion then.

If you're worried about buying some new bikes, these are pretty well priced: http://puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=94
Especially considering they're resin. Een include an option for a "Lance" attachment ;)

Everything else you've said, I can understand.

Mabbz

I have considered power fists, the main reason I don't is because I can't be bothered to change the models. I have no doubt that I will one day. I choose axes and plasma cannons over mauls and missiles for the better AP, since I face terminator death stars a lot.

In fact, I'm going to play some games now. I'll try some things and get back to you.

Arguleon-veq

Yeah a Guard army should never leave home without a Manticore, best tank they have.

As for not wanting to buy more models you can actually do Ogryns super cheap, I think mine cost me about £6. I got some bad condition ogres off ebay and just used grenade launchers as ripper guns [because you get a million grenade launchers on cadian frames] and used things like spare tank hatches as gut plates and tank tracks as bits of armour.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Mabbz

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on September 22, 2013, 01:05:48 PM
Yeah a Guard army should never leave home without a Manticore, best tank they have.

As for not wanting to buy more models you can actually do Ogryns super cheap, I think mine cost me about £6. I got some bad condition ogres off ebay and just used grenade launchers as ripper guns [because you get a million grenade launchers on cadian frames] and used things like spare tank hatches as gut plates and tank tracks as bits of armour.
Couldn't agree more. Manticores are brilliant, easily worth the points.

As for converted ebay ogres, I'll have to look into it. When I've considered it in the past, I've wanted to convert them into basically large servitors using my assorted bitz collection. I never actually used ebay though, so I tend to miss out on the deals.

I had two games the other day and tried playtesting the lord commissar. Unfortunately circumstances resulted in him doing basically nothing, so I can't say one way the other if he was an improvement on the command squad.

Narric

Not much on eBay for Ogryns. You're looking at at least £10 for an unused Ogryn kit.

You could always bitz box bash to make some "Ogryn" Mechs :P A few bitz stores will certainly be able to help with specific pieces.