News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Balance a Unit Contest [Rules]

Started by Narric, September 03, 2013, 01:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

This Contest is mostly for some fun. A challenge for all you Character, Army and unit makers out there, you are challenged to "Balance" a pre-existing unit from any game system.

This Contest is completely for fun. I'd go so far to say you may post up your character/Unit changes so you can make the unit more balanced :P

Dates:
- Entries can be submitted via a PM to Narric (Me) from September 3rd until September 22nd.
- Voting will take place from September 23rd until September 29th.
- Winners shall be announced on September 30th.

Prizes:
1st Place = Second Sphere Dice Set

Along with Physical prizes, Award Seals will also be granted to the Top 3 Entrants.

And here is a picture of the Custom Second Sphere Dice up for grabs;

Rules:
- All Entries must be based on a pre-existing unit from one game system (so nothing from the rumoured Tyranid Release, or whatever rumours are circulating about updates for any game system)
- The Entry may not have rules that change the Game Faction at its Core. So no Writing Marneus Calgar to turn all Space Marines into Hello Kitty Hug Machines for example ;) (use the Character Creation Contest for that :P)
- Images are not allowed to be entered for this contest ;)

Good luck to everyone who is planning on entering. :D

InsaneTD

Oohhh.... Tempting to enter. Don't know how I'd fix any broken units though, or much about broken units.

Arguleon-veq

I really like this, question though;

Should we write an explanation with it to explain why we have made the changes that we have? and is there any specific format for it? say putting up original rules and then our ammendments or just the whole new rules including our changes or do we just point out the changes we have actually made?
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on September 03, 2013, 04:42:25 PM
I really like this, question though;

Should we write an explanation with it to explain why we have made the changes that we have? and is there any specific format for it? say putting up original rules and then our ammendments or just the whole new rules including our changes or do we just point out the changes we have actually made?
Format? I'd say try and follow the unit formating tables provided here: http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=607.0

If your edits are minor, maybe it could be done like a GW Errata entry. If the unit is getting a full top-down overhall, then posting it as a House-rule unit would be prefered (see above).

Explaining why the unit was chosen, and what aspects were changed and why, I'll leave up to each individual Entrant. If it is a unit that everybody knows the faults of, then it may not need to be done. If its a more forgoten unit, then perhaps an explanation would be advisable.

In the end, this particular contest is just for fun, so lets just allow people have fun ;)

Rarity Declis

This is a really unique idea, nice one Narric. *flicks through his Codexes* Which unit really needs some help?

Mabbz

Well, my entry is in. I've tried to fix my biggest pet peeve in all of 40k. Interestingly, I don't think I've ever heard this issue mentioned on 2S.

Kur'os

Narric

How many others would enter, if this wasn't so much about balancing a unit, but rather improving a unit in some way?

I'm sure everybody has a unit from at least one game system that they think is slightly underwhelming.

The Man They Call Jayne

Yeah I would probably change Darkstrider and make his Structural Analyzer actually analyze. . ya know. . structures.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Alrighty then :P

I'll leave the title as is though. Too late to change it, because it might throw people into confusion.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

I'll get my entry in as soon as possible, hopefully tomorrow evening.

So we can make any changes we feel necessary to bring a unit into line, whether it be to make the unit worth taking or to remove blatant cheese?
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on September 20, 2013, 03:42:36 PM
So we can make any changes we feel necessary to bring a unit into line, whether it be to make the unit worth taking or to remove blatant cheese?
Yep.

to make a unit better is Tweaking

To remove cheese is Balancing

In my opinion XD