News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Create A Character Contest [Voting]

Started by Narric, September 22, 2013, 11:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Select Your Choice

A - Commander Dunestorm
2 (16.7%)
B - Alar Geiserig
3 (25%)
C - O'Elan
0 (0%)
D - Warpseeker
5 (41.7%)
E - Caldur Hawkeye
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 29, 2013, 11:15:36 PM

Narric

A note to Entrants. I took the liberty of formating the entries to a more uniform presentation. Hopefully I have not meesed anything up, but in the event I have, don't hesitate to message me. It is also not in the order I recieved them :P

A - Commander Dronestorm
Spoiler
Commander Dronestorm                               150Pts
Commander Dunestorm is a HQ choice for Codex: Tau Empire
Shas'O Kor'vesa Vishai, better known as Commander Dronestorm, is a young commander only recently finished with his Shas'El training. His first command role and the defining moment in his career occurred back when he was still a Shas'Vre, on a small world called Bap'li, near the Perdus Rift.

The Shas'Vre was the leader of a Crisis battlesuit team in a cadre assigned as a garrison for a small mining outpost on Bap'li. An unexpected warp storm engulfed the world, and the colony was attacked by Kroot that had been twisted by exposure to the warp. A Kroot Warsphere smashed into the largest settlement, and the Kroot forces began slaughtering the unsuspecting Tau. As what remained of the cadre retreated in disarray, the Shas'O was slain. When the remnants of the Tau regrouped at a mine far from the Kroot, they discovered that only a tenth of them still lived, and that Vishai  was the highest ranking officer present.

They were vastly outnumbered and the Kroot were advancing, but they had two advantages; the mine provided near unlimited raw materials, and it came equipped with a drone fabrication unit designed for building and repairing mining drones. On Vishai's orders, the unit was repurposed to construct gun drones and even some new drones they devised to react to their situation, such as the command relay drone, which allowed them to control their drone forces from the safety of the mine.

Vishai's drones fought a guerrilla battle against the Kroot for two weeks, slowing their advance and luring them off course. The Kroot didn't make it to the mine as the warp storms cleared and reinforcements arrived to rescue the beleaguered Tau. The Shas'vre was given the name Dronestorm for his efforts, and upon his eventual promotion to Shas'O he was given command of various experimental drone forces for field testing.

WSBSSTWIALdSvCompositionUnit Type
Commander Dronestorm
3+
Infantry (Character, Jet Pack, Unique)

Wargear:

• Crisis Battlesuit
  • Flamer
  • Cyclic Ion Blaster
  • Gravity Wave Projector

Signature System:

• Drone Command Hub
    Dronestorm has an advanced battle computer designed to help him control a larger number of drone with greater precision than a standard drone controller. The Drone Command Hub acts as a normal drone controller, except he may take four drones instead of the usual two.

In addition, if Dronestorm doesn't shoot in the shooting phase he may nominate a single unit within 12". All drones in that unit may re-roll To Hit rolls until the end of the shooting phase.
Special Rules:

• Independant Character
  • Experimental forces
    An army containing Commander Dronestorm may take drone squadrons as troops choices. It is highly recommended that the various drone units in the Imperial Armour books are used in armies led by Dronestorm.
  • Shadow of Bap'li
    Past experience has given Commander Dronestorm a very good reason to dislike Kroot. He treats all Kroot units as Desperate Allies.
Bodyguard:
  • May take either a normal Crisis Bodyguard Team or a Drone Squadron.

B - Alar Geiserig
Spoiler
Alar Geiserig - Warlord of the Night Lord's 8th company                               185Pts
Alar Geiserig is a HQ choice for Chaos Space Marines.
Alar Geiserig has been the standing warlord of the 8th Company of the Night Lord's Chapter for only a few short years, but has served in the VIII legion since long the before the start of the Long War. After an allied warband of Chaos legions delivered the deathblow to Cousteau XI at a massive cost, the Night Lords 8th lost much of their command structure. Geiserig gladly filled the gap, and has been reaping a heavy toll on Imperial Worlds ever since. His hatred of the Emperor is surpassed only by that of his rival traitor Astartes legions. He sees chapters such as the World Eaters as mindless, and the Word Bearers simple-minded fanatics. When low on supplies, he is not beyond ransacking a nearby chaos stronghold for equipment, ammunition, or manpower. He is driven by his urge to raise the Night Lords' status to one the entire galaxy will fear. With every passing night raid, the foolish corpse-worshipping Imperials grow more wary of the night, fearing that it may be their last.

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv Composition Unit Type
Alar
3+
Infantry (Character, Unique)

Wargear:

• Power Armour
  • Boltgun
  • Bolt Pistol
  • Master-crafted Power Weapon
  • Cloak of the Abyss
    Geiserig and his unit get +2 to cover saves, allied units in his detachment within 6" get +1 to cover saves (6" bubble does not benefit Geiserig's unit). Effects stack with shroud and stealth.

Warlord Trait:

• Master of Deception (d3 units may infiltrate)
Special Rules:

• Independant Character
  • "Ave Dominus Nox!"
    Whenever a unit in this army's detachment wins a combat, earns a kill point, or arrives from reserves, all enemy units within 18" lose 1 leadership for the rest of the battle. Grants all infantry units in Geiserig's detachment fear.
  • Preysight
    Grants friendly units in Geiserig's detachment within 6" Night Vision.
Options:
  • May exchange his Master-crafted Power Weapon for Master-crafted Powerfist for 15 points
  • May exchange Bolt Pistol for plasma Pistol for 15 points
  • May exchange all weapons for a pair of Master-crafted Lightning Claws for 10 points

C - O'Elan
Spoiler
Shas'O Bentu'Elan                               180Pts
O'Elan is a HQ Choice for Codex: Tau Empire
Shas'O Sacea Kauyon Bentu'Elan is a well respected tactician among the fire caste, although his achievements are rarely spoken about because he has one of the lowest kill counts of any individual commander. He is however, responsible for more overall kills than almost any other.

Shas'O Bentu'Elan is rare among his people as a member of the fire caste with an aversion to killing other people, enemy or not. However his tactical know how on a squad level is unsurpassed by anyone other that the legendary Puretide himself. Rather then bearing weapons of his own, his Iridum Battlesuit is equipped with the latest and most advanced support systems to allow him to direct his squad mates on a previously unheard of level.

The moment O'Elan joins a unit and start giving direction and guidance, that units effectiveness climbs higher and higher with every battle at the hands of a true master. When joined to a unit of XV88 Broadside Battlesuits, O'Elan was responsible for their total eradication of a Dark Eldar camp. His systems linking with theirs and guiding the vollys of missiles to make a mockery of the cover the Dark Eldar were sheltered behind and landing devastating Heavy Rail Rifle strikes against the now vunerable Raiders.

So in demand are his skills that slaved versions of his own wargear are often fitted to other commanders and squad leaders in the field, so that he may direct them from afar.

Needless to say, any unit O'Elan is seen with is immediately targeted for termination by the enemy, and to help prevent this the Earth Caste has given him access to the experimental MV-52 Shield Drone, previously only available to Commander Shadowsun. In rare occasions, O'Elan is forced to bolster the fire power of weaker units, and takes a stripped down pair of Shielded Missile Drones normally found accompanying the mighty XV-104 Riptide Battlesuit. These allow him to both protect and destroy with great efficiency although they cannot sustain as much incoming fire as the Riptide based counterparts.

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv Composition Unit Type
O'Elan
3+

Wargear:

• Multi Spectral Sensor Suite
  • Command and Control Node
  • Puretide Neural Engram Chip
  • Iridium Battlesuit
  • Drone Controller
  • Two Shield Drones
Special Rules:

• Independant Character
  • Font of Wisdom
    When Shas'O Bentu'Elan is your Warlord, you may take one extra copy of each of the Signature System he carries.
  • In Their Place
    Any unit in a Tau army led by Shas'O Bentu'Elan that takes Shield Drones may have their Shield Drones automatically pass Look Out, Sir! tests. This includes any MV-52 or Shielded Missile Drones in O'Elans personal unit.
Options:
  • May upgrade either or both Shield Drones to MV-52 Shield Drones for 15 points each or Shielded Missile Drones (T4) for 20 points each in any combination.

D - Warpseeker
Spoiler
Warpseeker
The Warpseeker is an Upgrade for Chaos Possessed Marines.
The Warbands and Legions of the Chaos Space Marines spend more time in the Warp than any other mortal beings. Unlike the lapdogs of the Emperor they lack Navigators to guide their vessels through the chaotic storms and unpredictable tides of the immaterium. The answer to this is as varied as the forces of Chaos themselves, but by far the most common solution is the use of Possessed Marines - the fusion of Daemonic and superhuman senses allowing them to sense a safer passage through the Warp. Very rarely, a Possessed of exceptional skill and strength can detect the minds of powerful psychic emanations from immense distances. The Daemon within overwhelms its host and is drawn uncontrollably towards the bright soulflame of the psyker, instinctively taking the quickest and surest route. These Warpseekers are not only exceptional tools in efficiently and safely navigating the warp, they are warriors without peer when hunting Psykers. Their intrinsic knowledge of the patterns of the Warp lead the Warpseeker and its pack safely through oncoming barrage of Psychic fire, and to resist the ill effects of hexes and curses, and once the pack closes in on its prey the contagious primal hunger of the Warpseeker's Daemon drives nearby Possessed into a frenzy that will not abate until the Psyker's soul is dispersed into oblivion within the empyrean.

Warpseeker
3+

Wargear:

• Power Armour
  • Warpseeker counts as equipped with a single close combat weapon.
  • Gift of Mutation
Special Rules:

• Daemon
  • Fearless
  • Fleet
  • Vessels of Chaos
  • Empyrean Fury
    A unit containing Warpseeker gains Preferred Enemy and Hatred against any unit containing a model with the Psyker special rule. In addition to this, any unit containing the Warpseeker will pass Deny the Witch rolls on a 4+ regardless of modifiers.
Marks of Chaos:
As a Warpseeker is part of the unit, any Mark of Chaos purchased must also be purchased for the Warpseeker

E - Caldur Hawkeye
Spoiler
Caldur Hawkeye                               180Pts
Calgur is a HQ choice for any Space Marine army (Excluding Grey Knights)
Cladur Hawkeye is a merciless hunter on the Battlefield. With ease, he can pick out the best targets in a horde.
In the Purging of Rendo, his birth planet, he assassinated the corrupt planetary governor from the opposite side of the Capitol city. This earned him a great amount of distinguishment among the Scout Company.

Caldur
3+

Wargear:

• Frag & Krak Grenades
  • Thermal Recon Armour
    A much lighter variant of Power Armour, combined with an optical camouflage cloak. Caldur has a 3+ Armour Save, and gains +2 to all cover saves (5+ Cover in Open-ground).
  • "Negotiator" Rifle
    The "Negotiator" is Caldurs weapon of choice when taking to the battlefield. He knows its weight perfectly, meaning he can fine-tune his positioning for deadlier accuracy. It has the following profile:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    48"
    Heavy 1, Pinning, Armourbane
  • Power Dagger
    A small combat blade that Caldur has used in many close quarters fights. A field generator was added for increased lethality. It has the following profile:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    -
    User
    Melee, Shred
Special Rules:

• Independant Character
  • And They Shall Know No Fear
  • Combat Tactics
  • Night Vision
  • Preferred Enemy (Characters)
  • Chapter Tactics (Midnight Corsairs)
    Any Marine in the Primary Detachment which contains Cladur Hawkeye, firing a single shot weapon gains the Special Rule: Preferred Enemy (Characters). This may not be used on any kind of Heavy Weapon.
    Midnight Corsair Characters gain Preferred Enemy (Characters) for all shooting and melee attacks.

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, some interesting ones here.

1, Im not sure what a Gravity Wave Projector is, I don't recall it from the Tau dex. All that springs to mind is the Grav Inhibitor Drone.

2, Cloak of the Abyss and Ave Dominus Nox seem REALLY powerful. I get what they are trying to do fluffwise, but still, you will be facing an Army of Ld2 in no time.

3, Only S4? Crisis Commanders are usually S5 aren't they? He's also a bit passive, but I have used a similar build myself and it can work.

4, A nice simple entry, but how much does it cost?

5, How, after being describes as "much lighter" than normal Power Armour does this still have a 3+ save? With the +2 to cover on top thats pretty brutal. Why not base it on scout armour?

Obviously, nobody should actually respond to these comments so you don't give away who you are. But they are just the bits that jump out at me.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

B: I agree with Jayne. Maybe if it was just -1 Ld for each kill point, but every won combat? That includes combats that are won where the enemy passes their morale check. Ld2 in no time.

C: I've fought against something similar that had joined a broadside team. It hurt, a lot.

E: How would preferred enemy (characters) work? would you re-roll to hit against any unit with character in it? I think this could work better with a simple bonus to precision shots (precision shot on a 5+ rather than 6 to hit, perhaps).

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on September 23, 2013, 01:46:43 AM
1, Im not sure what a Gravity Wave Projector is, I don't recall it from the Tau dex. All that springs to mind is the Grav Inhibitor Drone.

3, Only S4? Crisis Commanders are usually S5 aren't they? He's also a bit passive, but I have used a similar build myself and it can work.
I just looked these ones up, and to answer your questions:

1. Gravity Wave Projectors are in the wargear section, but they are only usually available to Grav Inhibitor Drones.

2. Yes, they are. I guess that was a typo.

Narric

Corrected a couple of mistakes. requested by the Entrants.

I think once this contest is over, each Entrant should probably post their creation in the House rules board, for a better discussion :P

The Man They Call Jayne

Hmm, I wonder why they don't just have the option to take a Grav Drone then? Seems like the thing a Drone commander would take.

Now that O'Elan is S5 it seems much better. Well, more proper at least. The support commander is a fairly sensible idea anyway.

Narric

Well folks, your breakfast has been dissected, and the winners of this contest have been chosen!

In first place we have:
Fhanados, with the Warpseeker

Then in Second place we have:
Warptide, with Alar Geiserig

And in Joint Third place we have:

• Mabbz, with Commander Dunestorm
  • Narric, with Caldur Hawkeye

Hopefully you'll have a big lunch.

Thanks to everyone who entered, and thanks to those who voted.

Mabbz

I blame my third place on you repeatedly calling him Dunestorm ::)

Narric

The Man They Call Jayne

I scored no votes? Well there goes my sense of well being :P

Mabbz

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on September 30, 2013, 03:28:55 PM
My criticism for O'Elan is that he didn't really seem that unique. He was just an ordinary Shas'O with a set loadout, some more options with his drones. The only unique thing about him were his two special rules, the first of which actually made him less special (allowing other models to do anything he can) while the second was useful but forgettable. I did like his fluff, but his rules don't set him apart from standard HQ choices much.

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on September 30, 2013, 03:28:55 PM
And I feel really bad for that :(

Without having the new codex myself, I couldn't really get a decent opinion of the character.

The Man They Call Jayne

Try a game with him, you might be surprised at the difference it makes. Stick him with your broadsides, then have a unit with Plasma Rifles deny cover while a Fusion Blaster team gets Tank Hunter. Having all that gear in one place is great, but the ability to have that single unit do everything and still spread those skill around, when used properly, makes a horrible mess of anything.

You could even have a second commander making a second unit beasty. I don't think a special character, especially a Tau one, should just be about "How awesome am I?". It should be about "What can I do for the Greater Good? How can I make THEM better?"

The Drones thing, I admit it is a bit simple, but honestly, that fact that they don't sacrifice themselves by default just seems like a HUGE oversight to me.

I get what you mean though and I don't really have an issue with not getting any votes, I just felt it was a different take on special characters in keeping with the Tau mindset.