News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Balance/Tweak a Unit Contest [Voting]

Started by Narric, September 22, 2013, 11:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Select Your Choice

A - Space Marine Drop Pods
11 (64.7%)
B - Tau XV88 Broadside Weaponry
1 (5.9%)
C - Space Marine Dreadnought
1 (5.9%)
D - Tyranid Carnifex
1 (5.9%)
E - Imperial Guard Rough riders
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: September 29, 2013, 11:31:48 PM

Narric

A - Space Marine Drop Pods
Spoiler
Replace the "Inertial Guidance System" rule with the following:
Terminal Velocity Tank Shock: if the drop pod scatter onto any unit or destructible terrain piece while deep striking, the unit count as having been tank shocked in all respects, except that they may not Death or Glory. In addition, any model forced to move out of the way of the drop pod must take an initiative test or suffer a S10 AP- hit with the pinning rule.

If the drop pod hits a model with an armour value, it count as having rammed the vehicle after moving 12". If both vehicles survive the impact, reduce the distance scattered by just enough to avoid landing on the vehicle.

Explanation: I refuse to believe that an enormous lump of metal fired from an orbital cannon can land more accurately than, for example, Vespid - a race of insects that could slow to a stop before arrival to pick their landing spot - just because it has an onboard computer and a few thrusters. Tau drones have that, and they still scatter. This way, there is still some risk to drop pod deep striking, and it's still a good idea to use them aggressively.

B - Tau XV88 Broadside Weaponry
Spoiler
Simply change the XV-88 Broadside's Heavy Rail Rifle to the following profie: 
Range 60" Strength 6, AP 1, Heavy 1, Armourbane

My reasoning/logic are:

• The Tau codex still list them as tank hunters, citing that "the XV88 Broadside was quickly identified by the Imperium as a major threat to armored vehicles..." and "...a few Broadside Teams proved sufficient to negate entire tank companies..."
  • The weapon is listed as a 'heavy' rail rifle, so making the weapon Strength 6 like the Shas portable rail rifle makes sense.  The weapon being classified as 'heavy' accounts for the longer range and potential to do more damage against vehicles, thus Armourbane.  This change allows the XV-88 Broadside to function as it was originally meant to, an anti-armor platform; instead of the anti-infantry role it's taken.
  • With the mass inclusion of ion weaponry and additional missile systems, there is ample anti-infantry firepower available to a cadre, but only the Hammerhead's railgun, Fusion blasters, and Onager gauntlets capable of threatening heavy armor.

C - Space Marine Dreadnought
Spoiler
Space Marine Dreadnought                               160Pts per model

WSBSSTWIALdSvCompositionUnit Type
Dreadnought
2+
Monstrous Creature

Wargear:

• Two Dreadnought Powerfists with Built-in Storm bolters
    When fighting with two dreadnought powerfist, receive +1 attack.
    When fighting with a least one dreadnought powerfist, you may choose one mode to fight in at the beginning of each assault phase. This gives the dreadnought one of the two weapon options for that phase:
    Smash into Oblivion: Strength: x2 user, AP: 2
       Sweep & Destroy: Strength: user, AP: 4, +2 attacks
Special Rules:

• It Will Not Die
  • Fearless
  • Feel No Pain
Options:

• May replace either dreadnought powerfist with any of the following:
    - Twin-linked autocannon for 5 points
    - Twin-linked heavy bolter for 5 points
    - Twin-linked heavy flamer for 5 points
    - Plasma cannon for 10 points
    - Assault cannon for 15 points
    - Grav cannon for 20 points
  • May exchange either built-in storm bolter with one of the following:
    - Combi-bolter for 5 points
    - Meltagun for 5 points
    - Plasmagun for 10 points
    - Grav-gun for 10 points
    - Heavy flamer for 10 points
  • May select a drop pod as a dedicated transport

D - Tyranid Carnifex
Spoiler
Carnifex                               115Pts per model

Carnifex
3+
Monstrous Creature

Biomorphs:

• Two Scything Talons
  • Frag Spines
  • Bonded Exoskeleton
Special Rules:

• Instinctive Behaviour - Feed
  • Fearless
  • Living Battering Ram
    A Carnifex gains +2 I on the turn it charges. In addition, a Carnifex gains 1 Hammer of Wrath attack for every 2" it charges. Note, this applies to distance moved, not distance rolled.
Options:

• A Carnifex Brood may be upgraded with the options below. All Carnifex in the Brood must take the same option.
    - Armoured Shell (2+ Armour Save) for 20pts per model
    - Reinforced Chitin (+1 Toughness) for 15pts per model
  • All other options available to Carnifex from Codex: Tyranids, remain unchanged.

E - Imperial Guard Rough Riders
Spoiler
Rough Rider Squad                               65Pts

Rough Rider Sergeant
5+
Cavalry (Character)
Rough Rider
5+
Cavalry

Wargear:

• Flak Armour
  • Hunting Lance
  • Laspistol
  • Close-combat Weapon
  • Frag & Krak Grenades
Options

• May have up to five additional Rough Riders for 12pts per model
  • The Rough Rider Sergeant may Exchange his Laspistol and/or Close-combat Weapon for:
    - Power Weapon for 10pts
    - Plasma Pistol for 15pts
  • The Rough Rider Sergeant may carry Meltabombs for 5pts
  • Up to two Rough Riders may replace their Laspistol with one of the following:
    - Flamer, Grenade Launcher for 5pts
    - Meltagun for 10pts
    - Plasma Gun for 15pts
  • The Squad may be upgraded with Carapace Armour for 30pts
  • The Squad may be upgraded to Veterans (+1 BS) for 20pts

Mabbz

I'm not sure what's actually changed from normal in the Carnifex entry.

Oh, and that dreadnought entry ::). If I vote for it, I'll look like a complete hippocrite thanks to my arguments in the monstrous creatures vs walkers debate.

Narric

I think I know what has changed with the Carni-entry. You'd have to ask the Entrant :P

I kinda like the Dread. Potentially more survivable then before, but also has weakness that players who know can use.
And if you're worryied about the debate, maybe you could say the higher voted entry between the carni & the dread is the better style for MCs? :P

The Man They Call Jayne

I don't like the dread. A vehicle with Feel No Pain just seems wrong. It Will Not Die. . .well, there is precident for it, bit it just doesn't seem to fit dreads. It has no reason to regen wounds on the battlefield that I can think of.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Maybe once the contest is over, I'll nudge the Etrant to make a seperate posting about it, for a better discussion on the subject :P

Cammerz

For entry A, does this rule change mean that a Drop Pod landing on impassable terrain would suffer a mishap like normal deep-striking units? Perhaps you could PM the entrant to find out.

Railgun Convention

Quote from: Cammerz on September 23, 2013, 01:22:39 PM
For entry A, does this rule change mean that a Drop Pod landing on impassable terrain would suffer a mishap like normal deep-striking units? Perhaps you could PM the entrant to find out.
That would certainly seem to be the case. Which is fine by me.

*grumble* immune to mishaps my left buttock..
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Narric

I think this and the CaC contest will be the only contests I enter. Its just so awkward being able to see how many votes my entries have in them both XD

Doesn't help that I've noticed something I missed with my entry for here, and had it been posted in the House Rule Board, I'd probably change it. But I'm being forced to wait, becuase I have no idea how the change(s) may affect peoples opinion on my entry.

Well, at least I now know this feel. Gives me reason to stay professional about the contests, and ensures I don't enter myself :P

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

That's alright, I noticed a couple of things I should've changed/clarified in my entry for this one too, and i forgot to include my explanation, so don't worry about it. :P

Hell, I completely forgot to enter the Create a Character contest lol.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on September 23, 2013, 08:04:20 PM
Hell, I completely forgot to enter the Create a Character contest lol.
I bet you'll have fun tearing each Entrant a new one when they're revealed :P

Narric

Well folks, your have been counted backwards and inverted, and the winners of this contest have been chosen!

In first place we have:
Mabbz, and his simple change to Space Marine Drop Pods

Then in Second place we have:
Narric, with the improved Imperial Guard Rough Riders

And in Joint Third place we have:

• Kur'os with his change to Broadside Weapons
  • Warptide with is re-worked Space Marine Dreadnought
  • Mkoll with his Altered Tyranid Carnifex

Thank you very much to everyone that entered, and thanks to all those who voted.

I look forward to doing this sort of contest again.

No, I'm not sure whats going to happen with the Joint third place winners :P

Mabbz

WOO! I won what I think is the first contest I ever actually entered! Drop pods are good for something besides annoying me!

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Damnit Narric! i thought you said this was a close one? :P

Congrats Mabbz. :)
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on September 30, 2013, 09:00:26 AM
Damnit Narric! i thought you said this was a close one? :P
I was trying to subtly make people spread their votes around ^_^;; Mabbz had been in the lead very early on :P