News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The Eldar Alliance vs. Tau Hammertide (1500, 10/4) in "The Revengeance"

Started by BigToof, October 04, 2013, 09:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

The Eldar Alliance vs. Tau Hammertide (1500) in "The Revengeance"

Hi All,
Well, this was an interesting game.  I decided to try out the Seer Council after I saw them being used against my Wolves, but they are so costly, I had to remove some parts of my army (i.e. the Hellions and the Wraithknight).
I also decided to try the Archon again, and some more Dark Eldar forces, while going mechanized.
The final sort of collaboration showed the Council with Farseer, and FIVE Skimmers of (hopefully not our) doom.
I was hoping for some kind of kind test run, but I saw the Tau player that had so brutally smashed us last time, and I HAD to try a rematch.
Did it work?  Was there re-Eldar spankage?  Or did the Eldar see some kind of bright hope at the end of the tunnel (that is hopefully not a Railgun)?

Read on!

Oh, and there's fluff too :)

Best,
-BT
P.S. Comments and Critiques are greatly appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------------

----------------
The Lists
----------------

The Eldar Alliance (1500): 34 Infantry, 5 Vehicles; 14 VPs
The Scarlet Serpents... err... I mean Biel-Tan Craftworld (yeah, sure...)
-Farseer Thielbane w/Jetbike, Spear
-Seer Councilx5 w/Jetbikes, Spears
-Jetbikesx3
-Dire Avengersx5 in Wave Serpent w/Scatter Laser, Holofield
-Dire Avengersx5 in Wave Serpent w/Scatter Laser, Holofield
The Grisly Hand Kabal
-Archon Y'stral w/Huskblade, Shadowfield, Soul Trap, PGL, CD
-Incubix4 w/Klaivex Ju'bei in Raider, EAethersails, Flickerfield, Grisly Trophies
-Wychesx5, HGs, Hekatrix Allonia w/Venom Blade in Venom w/SCx2
-Wychesx5, HGs, Hekatrix Ray'keth w/Venom Blade in Venom w/SCx2

Tau Hammertide 1500pts: 42 Infantry, 2 MCs, 2 Vehicles; 11 VPs
Shas'O w/Missile Podsx2, IArmor, PChip, MSS
Crisis Suitsx3 w/Plasma Riflesx3, Fusion Blastersx2, Flamer, Target Lock
Riptide w/Ion Accelerator, TL-Fusion Blaster, EWO, Velocity Tracker
Riptide w/Ion Accelerator, TL-Fusion Blaster, EWO, Velocity Tracker
Krootx10
Krootx10
Krootx10
Pathfindersx6
Broadsidesx2 w/TL-HYMP, TL-SMS, Velocity Trackers
Hammerhead w/Railgun, Submunitions, SMS, DPod
Hammerhead w/Railgun, Submunitions, SMS, DPod

------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------
Chapter Eight: Relative Insanity

Farseer Thielbane rocked back on his heels again.  The glowing Webway portal was still pulsing with energy.  Perhaps the crossing wasn't as easy this time.  Which might not be the worst possible outcome given everything.

He checked his outfit, making sure that his green and white Farseer robes were finely arranged and that the runes were in proper order.  Even the Wychblade checked out just in case anyone was being picky.  There was a slight cough behind him, and he turned to see two small groups of Wyches. 

The Dark Eldar were wearing their best finery, which Thielbane was happy to see didn't have much in the way of gore and dismembered body parts.  However, the two rival squads were looking at each other with barely contained contempt.  He looked over at his lover, Hekatrix Allonia, who noticed his gaze and politely nodded, but was obviously put off by the other Hekatrix present.  Thielbane sighed and slowly peered over at the other group, and saw Hekatrix Ray'keth, wearing a fairly outlandish outfit by Dark Eldar standards, with criss-crossing bands of bare flesh showing through an overdone Wychsuit.  Part of him perked up at the scantily clad view, but he tried not to linger too long.  Tried mind you.

Ray'keth noticed, however, and gave off a bracing, obviously dramatic giggle and bowed, showing a generous amount of cleavage.  Thielbane winced as he felt a sudden glare in his periphery, and realized that he had made things much, much worse.  And this was not the time for things to be going bad.  He half wondered if choosing the Wyches as part of the reception committee was a bad idea, but given the other options, they were probably the most aesthetically pleasing of the Kabal of the Grisly Hand.

There was something missing though.  He looked around and saw that neither Starsparkle, the temporary leader of his Dark Eldar forces, nor the Haemonculus X'Bella Le'Gosi were present.  Bella had little concept of time, so it was possible that she could have just forgotten, but Star was usually on time, if not early.  He hoped that something hadn't happened, but there was no time to look into the matter.

Looking back at the portal, he was about to hope that maybe his "guests" were not coming, but much to Thielbane's grand disappointment, there was a flare of energy, and a quintet of Eldar stepped forth.

The Eldar looked nothing like the Dark Eldar that were behind Thielbane, instead, they wore ornate runed armor of the Warlock.  The Seer Council of Biel-Tan had arrrived.  Or at least, part of it had.

"Farseer Thielbane," greeted the closest Warlock, who inclined his head.  The other Craftworlders followed his gesture and Thielbane bowed in return.  The Council had said they were sending emissaries to "evaluate" his current situation, and the wording of the missive had set his mind on edge.  As they were technically following the Craftworld's orders, it did make some kind of sense for an evaluation once in a while.  Thiel just didn't think that could pass one.  At least, not with Archon Y'stral present.  Thankfully, the Archon had been blown into nearly countless pieces by the Tau some time ago, and the Haemonculi were working to piece him back together.

Thiel didn't understand the strange, nebulous workings of the Dark Eldar, and their ability to bring the dead back to life had always surprised him.  Granted, it did have it's side affects, but it was better than being dead.  Supposedly.  He certainly didn't want to try it.

"The Craftworld brings you greetings, Farseer.  How do you fare?"

Now that was a loaded question if Thiel had ever heard one.

Taking his time, he carefully spoke, "I... fare well, fellow Seers.  It is an... honour to have you aboard this vessel."
The Warlocks looked around, and Thielbane had hoped that the grisly trophies and bloodstains were hidden well enough.  The Dark Eldar had an aesthetic that bordered (if not entirely held within) the realms of sadomasochism, and he had a feeling that the Craftworlders wouldn't appreciate a carpet made from severed tongues.

Thielbane exhaled as he saw the Seers nodding to each other.  Apparently, he had passed the first test.  Now, all he had to do is...

"Thiel!  Guess who's back?!"

Thielbane felt every inch of him freeze and he whipped his head around.  Archon Y'stral strode down the corridor, flanked by  the skipping and enthusiastic Starsparkle and the floating and silent Bella Le'Gosi.  Still dripping with regenerative fluid, the leader of the Grisly Kabal was already armored and weaponed, stalking forward with a kind of merciless hunger that feel could feel from even this distance.  He glanced at the Seers and noticed their immediate disquiet.  Things had just gotten bad.

"Thiel!  What's wrong?  Clawed Fiend got your tongue?  I...  Hey, did you clone yourself or something?"

"Archon Y'stral.  These are the emissaries of the Seer Council of..."

"Right, yeah, sure," said Y'stral, walking forward and planting himself between Thielbane and the Seers.

"Thiel, I'm fresh from the vat and need some murderizing.  What say you and I and some Wyches go and tear those little blue cretins apart?"

"Uh... Y'stral, now is not..."

"Oh, come on, Thiel! There's something more important than getting vengeance on those blue buffoons?  I mean, they somehow got lucky and took me down and slaughtered basically everyone.  I mean, losing to Tau!  Who would have thought it?"

There was a murmur amongst the Seers, and Thielbane tried not to visibly wince.

"Farseer?  Is this true?  Did you lose an engagement against... Tau?"

Thielbane swallowed.  He had sort of skimmed that fact in his debriefing.

"Um... Seers... I..."

Archon Y'stral cut Thiel off, "Yeah, yeah, so what?  Those little maggots got lucky.  Why do you care?"

Thielbane dropped his voice down to a forced whisper and said, "Because they're the ones who are giving me orders and if they want they could have me back at the Craftworld before I could blink."

Y'stral turned back to Thiel and then back at the Seers.  Looking around, he glanced at the Wyches and then at his own deadly Huskblade.

"Oh, they can try, Thiel, but..."

"Farseer Thielbane."

Thielbane looked up at the Seers that had formed a semi-circle that Thielbane remembered in his least favorite of nightmares.

"The Council has spoken.  You are to redeem your honour and defeat the Tau.  If this is possible, you are to remain.  If not, you are ordered to return to the Craftworld at once."

Thiel was about to respond, when Y'stral laughed.

"Oh, you see, Thiel, even they want blood.  Fine, fine, fine.  I suppose you lot want to come too?  I mean, you can't tell if we actually did anything unless you witness it, right?"

The Seers looked at each other and began to talk amongst themselves.

Thielbane whispered, "Y'stral!  What are you doing?"

The Archon smirked, "Don't worry, Thiel.  Message received.  I get it."

Thielbane frowned, "What message, Y'stral?  Y'stral, what are are you..."

"The Council has spoken.  We are to accompany you and watch firsthand of your battle."

"Good," said Y'stral to the almost speechless Thielbane.  "You see Thiel, just as planned.  Don't worry, I got this."

Somehow, Thielbane thought to himself, that made him worry all the more.

-------------------------------------------------
Pre-Game Thoughts: Nothing is so sweet as the possibility of a rematch!
I was beaten up pretty bad by this mate before and he's sort of modified his list and it now has a more support type Shas'O, but still the big players are the same.
Double Riptides and double Hammerheads.

Now, I wanted to try Seer Council and well...
Let's just say that I have this thing for FIVE Bikers.
I only hope that they put in some work before exploding horribly.
As distractions, I have the Archon with some Incubi and the Wyches in case anything big and nasty and armored pops up.

I just hope that the dice gods are kind to my psychic rolls...

----------------------------------------------
Mission: Big Guns Never Tire (Heavy Support Score), 3 objectives
Setup: Dawn of War (Night Fight OFF)
Terrain: Ruins and bits
Warlord: Thielbane: Split Fire (err... yay?), Shas'O: Enemies cannot LoS (wait... WHAT?)
Psychic: Thielbane: Prescience, Fortune (HELLS YEAH), Psychic Shriek (why not?)
Seer Council: Protect (+/- 1 Armor Save)x2, Embolden/Horrify (Ld shenanigans), Destructor/Renewer, Conceal (shrouding)
----------------------------------------------
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

This has the makings of a great report, I'd never been a huge fan of Y'stral until Thielbane arrived, their back-and-forths are amongst your best fluff. And it's good to see Ju'bei back, what little we read of him in the past was very cool (and unless it's just an amazing coincidence he's named after the best henchman from Evil Genius).

The Tau list looks tricky, the Kroot are probably pretty easy and they don't have sniper rounds however the fact that the Broadsides can hold objectives will be annoying. Plus you have various heavy things which need murdering, at least you have some poison for the Riptides.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes, and of course more fluff.

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on October 04, 2013, 10:27:46 PM
This has the makings of a great report, I'd never been a huge fan of Y'stral until Thielbane arrived, their back-and-forths are amongst your best fluff. And it's good to see Ju'bei back, what little we read of him in the past was very cool (and unless it's just an amazing coincidence he's named after the best henchman from Evil Genius).

The Tau list looks tricky, the Kroot are probably pretty easy and they don't have sniper rounds however the fact that the Broadsides can hold objectives will be annoying. Plus you have various heavy things which need murdering, at least you have some poison for the Riptides.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes, and of course more fluff.

Hi Cammerz!
Glad you're liking it so far!
Tell me what you think of the rest of the rep.
There's some... interesting developments and let me know if you think it's a good direction!

Best,
-BT
----------------------

Setup: Well... good news and bad news.  Good news is that we have some ruins.  Bad news is that we don't have a lot of them and are forced to deal with trees (meh) as the primary source of cover.

As an Eldar player, trees are always sort of hedgy (haha, pun there yes?) in terms of getting decent coverage (again, yeah?) so I'm a bit thankful that I took Holofields and Flickerfields.

In any case, the Tau player gets to place his first, and it's no surprise that he puts two on the sides of the largest ruin on one side (guess which side he's taking?)

I think about perhaps putting mine far away, but really...  Who am I foolig?  I put my objective right in the center.
The Tau then wincingly take the first turn and put everything except for their Crisis Suits (who are deep-striking) and a unit of Kroot (who are outflanking) wedged into the Ruin.

Pathfinders in the far back, surrounded by Broadsides, Hammerheads and Riptides.  The Shas'O is in the center actually touching both the Riptides and Broadsides so I sense early shenanigans right there.
Twenty Kroot go in front as speedbumps.

I put all of my guys (save the Jetbikes) in the left flank, all out of 36" range of the Broadsides and the Pathfinders.
Wow, that's much faster than thirty Guardsmen...

And with my usual failure to seize the initiative, the game began!

Picture Caption: This... is going to get ugly.
-----------------------------------------------

-----------------------
Interlude
-----------------------

Shas'O Ar'cha bristled underneath his battlesuit.  The entire Cadre had been assembled and was waiting for the alien marauders.  He did not know why the Eldar had returned, nor did he really care.  The still unresolved incident at the Lin'qui excavation site bothered him, which the Earth Caste had scratched their heads about some and labeled it as a "unknown energy deviation."  He shook his head at the thought.  As useful as they were, sometimes the Earth Caste was infuriating.  Whatever had happened, he was certain it was the Eldar who were the instigators, as they had melted back into whatever hole they had appeared from.  His Cadre had retaken the world shortly thereafter and a kind of wary peace had been established. 

Colonists were scheduled to arrive in short order, but all of that was put on hold due to a recent delivery.  The Shas'la who delivered it couldn't even speak of it's contents, and when Ar'cha opened the cargo container he understood why.  The metal box, easily the size of a Devilfish was filled with the dismembered contents of a Colony ship.  Dozens of innocent Tau murdered with no explanation save a simple note attached to the box saying in a very odd script:
"Arriving at Dawn."

Ar'cha was waiting, as was his Warriors. The Eldar had returned, as arrogant as ever.  He would see how they fared against the might of the Empire.
--------------------------

---------------------
Turn 1: Tau
-------------------

"... and perhaps this will be a good place for you to observe the battle?"

Farseer Thielbane tried his best to make a comforting voice, but it was rather hard with the scrutinizing gaze of the Seer Council.  The Eldar were astride Jetbikes just like his, save that his was almost wet with a new paint job.  After all, flying the colours of the supposed-to-be-disbanded Corsair Prince of the Scarlet Serpents was probably a bad idea.  In fact, thinking about the possibility near a group of fairly powerful psychics was not that great of a choice either.  Still, it could be worse.

"Farseer, are you certain that this is safe?"

Thielbane looked at the Warlock whose name he should probably know (but didn't), and replied, "Oh, yes, definitely, the Tau do have long-ranged weapons, but we're still in the early rays of dawn.  The chances of them even being awake at this time..."

And that was when a huge blast of Ionic energy exploded amongst the Eldar and vaporized the questioning Warlock. 

What's worse than being in an AV10 Raider?

Being in an AV10 Raider with Tau across the table!

Luckily, I'm out of 36" range from the Broadsides and Pathfinders, and unless he REALLY wants to endanger his Hammerheads I think there shouldn't be TOO much shooting at me.

Just, you know... The Riptides and the Hammerheads (shudder).

My opponent tells me he HAS faced a Seer Council before and it didn't end well for him.

SO, I guess it's not a total surprise when he attaches his Commander to a Riptide and thus begins AP2 S8 LARGE BLASTS raining on my Council.

Thankfully, he doesn't have re-rolls, so one goes wide, and one hits only two Seers, meaning that one gets wiped off the board.  The Hammerheads fire submunitions, but I manage to make some armor saves, and not much is done.

Whew.

That could have been SO bad.

Picture Caption: I... think that might not be such a bad thing?

-----------------
Turn 1: Eldar
-----------------

Stunned, Thiel had only moments before he heard Y'stral.

"Hey, Thiel!  I think they're ready!  Cover me!"

Thielbane tried to say something as the Archon's Raider raced away, but his mind was still swimming.  The remains of the Seer Council was formed into a defensive position behind him.  He couldn't leave them here, but without his help, another rout was all but assured.

Swallowing, he spoke, "My fellow Seers, there has been a change of plans..."
-------------------------------------

I tell my opponent about Grisly Trophies giving you Ld Re-rolls and he agrees that it's fine that it allows me to re-roll psyker checks.  Not sure if it's entirely legal, but I don't really need it to pump the Council up to 2+/2++ monstrosity levels.  They turbo boost right into the face of his army.  Y'stral rolls epically high for his Sails and I move him right up to the left flank, actually out of sight of almost everything in his army!

I move up the Venoms as well with the Wave Serpents.
The Serpents fire their ignore cover shields and wipe out the Pathfinders!
I then decide just to flat out the Dark Eldar up the left flank, so at least he has to think about what to shoot.

Picture Caption: First Blood!  Ooo!

-----------------
Turn 2: Tau
-----------------

Shas'O Ar'cha felt his eyes widen as the data came in spurts.  He thought that the XV-104 had landed a direct hit, but the Eldar were streaming forth like insects roused from slumber.  Very well then, it so happened that he had a very good pest remover.

"All Warriors, ready your weapons!  Let them feel the might of the Tau'va!"

--------------------------------------

My opponent shuffles his Kroot a bit and then almost EVERYTHING goes into the Council.  I'm so close, he really can't put the template too close, and thus I get away with no damage.  My opponent then decides to fire at the Serpents (?), but I make my jink saves and I'm fine.
The non-Commander attached Riptide then assaults the Council!  He takes a wound, but makes his morale check.

Picture Caption: Riptide in the face!  Is... that bad?

------------------
Turn 2: Eldar
-----------------

Thielbane wasn't sure if he should be more scared or insulted.  At first, the enormous Tau machine was certainly worrisome, but when it charged into their ranks, it moved with all the grace of a drug-addled Ork.  He dodged another barely aimed swing and nodded to the Warlocks.  Psychic energy flowed freely, changing the paths of fate.  Just as he was concentrating on their own protective wards, he heard a scream.  It was a Wych's voice.

He looked up, ignoring the broken ward, and saw that Allonia's squad was on the battlefield.  What were they doing?  They weren't needed here.  The Wyches were barely wearing clothing, much less armor.  What could possibly have...

"Come on you useless pieces of flesh!  I need meat to catch plasma for me!"

Whipping his head around, he saw that Y'stral had disembarked as well, and was running towards the Tau front lines.  This was madness.  They could still outzone the Tau static forces.  This wasn't a necessary...

"Farseer!"

Thielbane ducked in time as another much less safe swing came forth from the Tau battlesuit and Thielbane suddenly realized that things were in a much more precarious situation.

"Y'stral!  I...  I need some..."

"Bwahahaha!  Minions?  You hear that?  The great Farseer needs us.  Let's get to murderizing!"
--------------------------

Wow, ok... I'm kind of stuck on the Riptide.
Fair enough.  I can still use my powers.
I use the Council first and decide that the Riptide and Commander (with his powers) are the biggest threats.
So, they get two jinxes, knocking their Armor to 4+ (mwahahaha)  I also try to knock their morale down as well, but fail the roll.  I then remember that I have to roll for Fortune, but...  I roll an 11.

DOH!

So, uh yeah, I need some help otherwise things are going to go bad very, very soon.  I disembark Y'stral and the Incubi, moving them up to the Riptide.  I... don't know if this is a good idea.  Allonia's Wyches sort of cross-disembark aiming at the Hammerhead.

I sort of scootch everyone else around.

Shooting then goes off and it's pretty glorious.  Both Venoms take out the Riptide in a flurry of poison and a few wounds get plinked off the Commander.  The Wave Serpents shave off almost all of the Kroot and the last few run off.

The Archon assaults first, but the supporting fire bounces off the Shadow Field. The Wyches assault in and prepare to plant grenades on the Hammerhead.
Y'stral thankfully gets a 6 through the Riptide's invul saves and the big guy is toast.  He successfully rolls his Soul Trap roll and gets PUMPED UP to S6.  The Wyches plant the grenades fine and the Hammerhead is wrecked.  I scurry the Archon and the Seer Council away so at least we BOTH can't be shot to pieces...

Picture Caption: I guess I did enough damage?
BigToof Points:

BigToof

---------------
Turn 3: Tau
---------------
Archon Y'stral quickly glanced at the Incubi behind him.  He didn't like the expensive kill-stealing half-wits, but when you had a job to get done right, you might as well go large.

"Alright, you.  Listen up.  I'm going to go murder the big thing.  Don't get in my way."

Klaivex Ju'bei, leader of the Incubi, slightly inclined his head and said nothing.  Y'stral narrowed his eyes.  He disliked the silent Eldar, but apparently the message had gotten across.

"Right, let's do this!"

Leaping forward, ignoring the shots bouncing off his Shadow Field, the Archon moved like a dark and deadly shadow, hurling himself with break-neck speed at the Riptide.  The huge Battlesuit had a moment to turn before the Archon landed on the Tau's chest, his Huskblade running through the thick armor as if it was paper.  There was a garbled shout from the suit, and then it went still.

Thielbane let off a great roar when he saw Y'stral actually do something useful, and then realized something else.  All of the Tau were looking at him and his Seers.  And they were far too close to miss.

"Oh, this is going to hurt..."
-----------------------------

The remaining Tau forces have clearly had enough of my pointy-eared shenanigans and blow the Council off the table with mass dakka.  The Archon and Incubi take a submunition round to the face, but are fine.  Somehow (or perhaps due to lots of LoS rolls), Thielbane survives on a single wound.

The Crisis Suits also come in and shave a hull point off one Wave Serpent and explode the other.

--------------

Turn 3: Eldar
--------------
Thielbane felt the last of the enormous missiles slam into his bike and he gave a silent prayer to Khaine that his armor would hold.  He spun for a moment, before the world finally came to a stop.  He looked up and was surprised to see Archon Y'stral, grabbing his bike with one hand like a toy.  How had he managed to...

"Impressed, Thiel?  That's Dark Eldar tech for you.  I'm so hopped up on soul juice I could rip a Talos in half.  Y'know.  With my pe..."

"Yes, Y'stral, I'm...  I'm sure now..."

"Right, yeah, no wasting time, 'cause I see Tau with all of their bits not dismembered.  And we can't have that, right?  Minions!  CHARGE!"

Thielbane managed to keep from falling over at Y'stral dragged him along.  What had he gotten himself into?

I put Fortune and Prescience on Y'stral and the Incubi.  I then link up Thiel with them, because I don't have many options at this point.

I move the Incubi up to the Broadsides and Commander, while getting the Wave Serpent as far as possible from the Fusion Guns.  The Venoms also skitter about some.

Shots go into the XV8's, but I can't quite clean them up.

The Archon then assaults in and the missile fusillade which would normally have blown the Archon away twice over does nothing thanks to the re-rolls :)
We then tear apart the battlesuits with ease, as the Archon dispatches the Commander and the Incubi take care of the Broadsides.

--------------
Turn 4: Tau
--------------
"Y'stral, is that completely necessary?" sighed Thielbane, who was doing his best not to bleed too much all over the scenery.

The Archon snarled and pulled his pants back up.  "You gotta show 'em who's in charge, Thiel, otherwise these blue wastes of skin are gonna..."

"INVERTED MAYHEM STRIKE!"

Thielbane looked over to see the Klaivex spin upside down with an enormous blade, decapitating both Broadsides in a single blow.  The Tau wobbled for a moment as if not really cognizant of the fact that they were already quite dead, and then pitched over.

Y'stral snarled, "Freakin' kill-stealer.  If I wasn't paying so much for 'em, Thiel, I swear that..."

A loud bark from a Railgun brought their attention to the rest of the battlefield where a Venom and both Wave Serpents were suddenly large piles of wreckage.

Thielbane bit his lip.  Ignoring the entire rest of the battle was probably not a good thing...
---------------------------------

My opponent doesn't have much left, but the Broadside pulls back.  The last XV8 moves out.
Shooting somehow becomes amazingly hot for the Tau, as the Hammerhead explodes my last Wave Serpent, and the XV8 takes out Ray'keth's Venom.  The Wyches are all but annihilated, and once again Ray'keth fails her morale check...

Picture Caption: I...  I don't know what to say sometimes...

-------------
Turn 4: Eldar
-------------
Hekatrix Allonia sighed, watching Ray'keth run for the hills.  It shouldn't have surprised her, given that Ray'keth had "volunteered" Allonia's squad for first assault by flying just a little slower and veering off at the last moment.  No doubt she'd have some kind of excuse for her latest moment of cowardice as well.  Still, things could certainly have gone worse.  She looked at the still burning vehicle that her troupe was hiding behind.  Everything within charging distance was either dead or on fire.  Which meant that there was little for them to do besides not dying. 

Which suited her fine. 

She only hoped that Thielbane was having just as much luck as her.

Right, I hide Allonia as apparently my Troops have become mostly incompetent.
I get Fortune and Prescience up on the Incubi and the Dark Eldar charge in and tear apart the Kroot.

Picture Caption: There's not much left at least...

Turn 5: Tau and Eldar
-------------------
My opponent throws a hail mary at my Incubi, but it doesn't do anything.
The Incubi and Archon then shatter the Hammerhead for no losses (fortune rocks, btw).

And with that, the game is called!

Result: ELDAR VICTORY!

---------------------------------------------

Post-Game Thoughts: If the Seer Council gets the right powers, they are seriously ridiculous.  They can also debuff big nasties and I only wish that I could have had a chance for more shenanigans.  I liked the small units of Wyches and the Incubi were nice, although maybe a bit too much overkill for their points?  The Wave Serpents were solid as usual.  I think I might keep them around as they're just so reliable.  I didn't miss the Wraithknight, but it's hard to say really, as we didn't face anything that needed a big gun.

I think my opponent put too much on the Council, but well, they are pretty scary.  Still, the Archon basically rolled up the whole center and the Huskblade does a real number if you're not paying attention.  He should have Nova-charged if he was going to assault in, but I think he didn't think that the Council would just walk through four large blasts basically intact.

So... pretty fun, but still not sold on the Council.  They rely on getting good powers, but it's random.  Without some kind of useful buffs (include Fortune), then it gets dicey fast.

Would love to hear comments/critiques if you all have any!

---------------------------------------------

----------------------
Epilogue
----------------------

"There we go, Thiel, just as planned!"

Thielbane winced as the Dire Avenger finished binding his wounds.  He glared at Y'stral and said, "What do you mean?"

The Archon laughed and walked forwards, bouncing a Warlock helmet from hand to hand.

"Got your bosses off your hands and made a spectacle of the Tau all in one swoop!"

Trying to keep the shock from overtaking him, Thielbane rubbed his temples, "You... you planned all this?"

Y'stral shrugged, "Well, not really, there were ALL supposed to be dead, but I think a few are still breathing.  Hey... you want me to have the Haemonculus make a Grotesque from the remains?  We could name it after your Ex.  That'd be hilarious."

As the Archon cackled again, Thielbane cupped his head in his hands. He was mad at Y'stral, so furious at him for...  actually... solving the entire situation.  He blinked as certain lines of thought that he hadn't used in quite some time started working.  In fact, he thought, why didn't he think of this sooner?

"No, Y'stral, that would be... tacky."

Y'stral snorted, "Yeah, I guess so.  So what's next on the list?"

Thielbane nodded to himself, "Let's find out what the Tau are up to since we've been gone.  I think we can make this situation fit both of our needs.  And... let's also make sure that the Tau realize that the Eldar are not to be trifled with."

"Now you're talkin' Thiel.  Maximum atrocities, ready to go!"

Thiel felt a smirk cross his face, but then he heard a gasp and looked over at the source of the sound.  He saw Allonia.  She had come by, and the look of concern mixed with horror on her face was quite obvious.

"I...  I beg your pardon, Archon.  Farseer.  I'll...  I'll... go..."

"No, don't."

Allonia looked up as Thielbane glided over to her.  She was still confused.  He saw that much in her eyes.  Should he let himself go down this route?  This is what Captain Thielbane of the Scarlet Serpents would do.  This is what they would expect of the Dark Eldar.  Should he allow himself to...

"Oh, Captain!  I'm glad you waited for me!"

Thielbane looked over and tried not to wince as he saw Hekatrix Ray'keth run over.  Before he could stop her, she latched onto his bike and gave off the most insincere sob he had ever heard.

"Oh, I thought I was done for when the Venom exploded, but I ran my best to protect our rear-guard.  Oh, you don't know what horrors I've been through."

She looked up and Thiel tried not to notice that one of the straps to her suit had come undone and was showing more than it really should.  He heard an angry growl and felt his arm get latched onto.  He didn't have to look up to see who it was.

"Ray'keth, get your filthy hands off of him," snarled Allonia.

"Oh, I don't think that's for your to decide," said Ray'keth batting her eyes at Thielbane.  "I think he should decide who he likes more."

"Fine."

"Fine."

Thielbane finally exhaled.  Things at least were resolved in a...

"You find a flat place, I'll get the Splintermind.  I'll be Khaine-damned if you can outperform me."

Allonia stormed off, and Thielbane felt himself get more confused as Ray'keth was leading him off to one side.

"I...  Hekatrix... What are..."

Ray'keth was ignoring him, and speaking to herself in low tones, "Thinks she can out-work me?  Oh, that's laughable.  I can out orgy anyone in this sector."

Thielbane was about to say something and then every hormone within him slapped him upside the head.  He tried to ignore the sound of bone crunching, flesh tearing, and Y'stral's laughter as Ray'keth started to strip off his clothing. 
This entire situation wasn't his fault.  He was just utilizing what was at hand.  Certainly it wasn't anything to be worried about.

Everything would be better next time.  It would be just this one time.  Just this once.

BigToof Points:

Cammerz

A great report there BT, I'm glad the Thielbane is returning towards his Scarlet Serpents roots with Y'stral convincing him to do this, that and everything else.

It seems like the objectives were just completely ignored for this battle, just destroy everything and it will all turn out okay. It's as if Y'stral were actually planning the battle himself. One problem with castling all the Tau together in one place, if something gets into combat then you're pretty much screwed, perhaps he should have been more mobile, and taken out your transports really early on so he only had the seer council to deal with until turn three or four.

So Ju'bei does talk now? At least I presume he's the one calling the "INVERTED MAYHEM STRIKE" which I'm perfectly happy to see. Its a very cool sounding move which hopefully will make a return in the future.

I've also worked out who Y'stral reminds me of;

But anyway, great report and I look forward to seeing more.

Job's a good un!

Arguleon-veq

Great report!

Got to say though, I wouldnt have the nerve to run something as expensive as a bike council without 2 farseers, it leaves you so open to not getting Fortune and they are such a points sink without it. Getting 2 Jinx and Fortune from so little powers was huge for you, I always go at least 2 out of 5 games with  my 10 man Bike Council [Inc.2 Farseers] without getting ANY Jinx/Protect or Fortune! lol

As you said though, once they are powered up they are a nightmare. The other huge issue for them is not going first if there isnt enough LOS blocking terrain, so in this game I figured the 2 Riptides and Hammerheads would cripple the Council before they got chance to power up.

It was a good call in his part to tie you up with a Riptide once you were powered up and in his face as they struggle with 2+ saves and a 4+ re rolled for their saves in combat isnt great but he should have shot the rest of your army up that turn instead if he was going to do that as there is very little point in shooting at them.

I liked both the the lists though and it turned out to be a very bloody game. You should try giving the Chymera Council a run out, i think youd really like it.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on October 06, 2013, 11:02:18 AM
A great report there BT, I'm glad the Thielbane is returning towards his Scarlet Serpents roots with Y'stral convincing him to do this, that and everything else.

It seems like the objectives were just completely ignored for this battle, just destroy everything and it will all turn out okay. It's as if Y'stral were actually planning the battle himself. One problem with castling all the Tau together in one place, if something gets into combat then you're pretty much screwed, perhaps he should have been more mobile, and taken out your transports really early on so he only had the seer council to deal with until turn three or four.

So Ju'bei does talk now? At least I presume he's the one calling the "INVERTED MAYHEM STRIKE" which I'm perfectly happy to see. Its a very cool sounding move which hopefully will make a return in the future.

I've also worked out who Y'stral reminds me of;

But anyway, great report and I look forward to seeing more.

Job's a good un!

Hi Cammerz,
Glad you liked the report.  I wasn't sure if I was going too far with Thiel, but I'm glad that you liked it!
I think his big problem was that he totally focused on the Eldar and ignored the Dark Eldar :)
After all, everyone looks at AV10 vehicles and T3 Infantry and just thinks they're easy to take out.
Which is true, but that's because they are cheap and incredibly shooty/choppy for their points.

As for Y'stral, yes it did seem like that, if only that I was surprised that he let Y'stral live, while he erased the Seer Council.
Y'stral and the Incubi then went to wipe his army, so I do think that it was a questionable move...
Ju'bei says very little, but does say the name of his moves.  It's his schtick and I'm glad you approve :)

Y'stal as Claptrap is HILARIOUS.
Any idea for the other characters?

Oh, and what would you like to see next?

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on October 06, 2013, 08:46:06 PM
Great report!

Got to say though, I wouldnt have the nerve to run something as expensive as a bike council without 2 farseers, it leaves you so open to not getting Fortune and they are such a points sink without it. Getting 2 Jinx and Fortune from so little powers was huge for you, I always go at least 2 out of 5 games with  my 10 man Bike Council [Inc.2 Farseers] without getting ANY Jinx/Protect or Fortune! lol

As you said though, once they are powered up they are a nightmare. The other huge issue for them is not going first if there isnt enough LOS blocking terrain, so in this game I figured the 2 Riptides and Hammerheads would cripple the Council before they got chance to power up.

It was a good call in his part to tie you up with a Riptide once you were powered up and in his face as they struggle with 2+ saves and a 4+ re rolled for their saves in combat isnt great but he should have shot the rest of your army up that turn instead if he was going to do that as there is very little point in shooting at them.

I liked both the the lists though and it turned out to be a very bloody game. You should try giving the Chymera Council a run out, i think youd really like it.

Thanks for the reply!
Agreed about the Council.  I thought I actually got some bad powers, but the Jinx is so great when properly used.  Fortune I always seem to roll, but I could see things falling apart so easily.
My opponent had horrible large blast rolls and I put the Council near the board edge turn 1, so he didn't have great shots.  The Hammerheads were kind of scary, but Thiel took their shots pretty easy up until the end.
I think he didn't just throw the Riptide in as he was sure he could shoot them to pieces.
There's a few other Councils that I've seen around and they are MUCH bigger than the little one that I took and they DO beat face when done right.
What's the Chymera Council?
Is that Farseers and Khymerae?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Arguleon-veq

Yeah its essentially just as many Beastmasters and Khymerea as you can afford to get into the unit, the Baron so that at least they have Stealth if they dont get Fortune and a Farseer or two, usually one has the Shard to make them Fearless. Id say its more reliable than the Bike Council just because its not going to get shot down as easily if you dont get the powers you need although it is a little slower. Plus the Baron helps with going first which again is pretty big for Dark Eldar/Eldar, especially if you want to get powers off first.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on October 07, 2013, 05:12:05 PM
Yeah its essentially just as many Beastmasters and Khymerea as you can afford to get into the unit, the Baron so that at least they have Stealth if they dont get Fortune and a Farseer or two, usually one has the Shard to make them Fearless. Id say its more reliable than the Bike Council just because its not going to get shot down as easily if you dont get the powers you need although it is a little slower. Plus the Baron helps with going first which again is pretty big for Dark Eldar/Eldar, especially if you want to get powers off first.

Hmm...
It's certainly an interesting idea.
I'll have to try it!
I already have a rep for the Eldar with them versus a Screamer-Star (which was kind of hilarious).
So... double Farseer and Beastmasters?
Certainly alright points-wise.

If there's anything special tactics wise let me know.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Lord Sotek

Regarding Dark Eldar beasties, I'm definitely seconding they can be a headache to face; especially when you mass Khymearas. In a recent game against my buddy's DE, I had to devote two or three turns of about a third of my Necrons' shooting to wipe a Beastblob off of an objective, sweating the whole time about whether or not the buggers were going to charge me.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

BigToof

Quote from: Lord Sotek on October 09, 2013, 02:21:07 PM
Regarding Dark Eldar beasties, I'm definitely seconding they can be a headache to face; especially when you mass Khymearas. In a recent game against my buddy's DE, I had to devote two or three turns of about a third of my Necrons' shooting to wipe a Beastblob off of an objective, sweating the whole time about whether or not the buggers were going to charge me.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not so much worried that the Beasts will be hard to kill, it's just that they aren't as immediately threatening as the Council.
I've found that even if the council does nothing the whole game, it's mere presence is enough to draw attention.

Khymarae are kind of hard to hurt if you give them 4+ re-rollable invul saves, but that's really only about as tough as a marine...
Granted they're fast, but they can't really hit that hard either...

----------------------------------------

In any case, does anyone have any preferences for what's up next?

I'm saving up my game time for the new Sisters Codex when it comes out (female protagonists are go!), but I hope I can get some Eldar-Tau or Eldar Allliance games still going...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: