News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Public Contest Discussion

Started by Narric, September 07, 2013, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

This thread is mostly intended so we the Contest Committee can make proper decisions regarding future contests. Actual contest suggestions should be taken to the Suggestion Thread ;)

To get this thread started, we ask for opinions on the presentContest Points system.

As Veteran Members will know, we award points to the winners of each contest. For newer members, points are presently awarded as such:
1st place = 5pts
2nd place = 3pts
3rd place = 1pt

In addition, we have a few uses for these points:
- 35pts grants you a Custom Title
- 20pts a +1 boost to your Karma

This is a very limited, and possibly underpriced use of the Contest points, so we put it to the community to suggest addtional uses for the Contest Points.

Thank you for taking the time to reading this

The Contest Committee

Sorck

I thought the points were 10/5/2 (1st/2nd/3rd)? Or has this changed in the last few months?

Narric

Quote from: Sorck on September 07, 2013, 09:41:42 PM
I thought the points were 10/5/2 (1st/2nd/3rd)? Or has this changed in the last few months?
I'm going by what Thantos has said:
Quote from: Thantos on April 30, 2013, 05:56:58 PM
Yep yep, 5 for 1st, 3 for second 1 for third IIRC.
However, I'd be willing to change it (and the cost of the pt purchases) if the community wants it that way.

Thantos

Shows how good my memory is, especially since i was the guy giving out the points  :derp: Sorck's correct, it is 10, 5 and 2.

Narric

Thats been sorted now for the previous contests. Now about these "Purchasables" :P

Should I double up the price? (70pts for Title, 40pts for Karma) our maybe new values should be set?

Mabbz

I have an unrelated question. Why do the painting contests have better prizes than the house rules contests? This is the right place for this question, isn't it?

Narric

The Miniature Painting Contests have "real" prizes, becuase that is what I focused on when I first took over the contests. I personally contacted the companies in question, in order to acquire prizes. I presently need to double check these commitments, due to some potentially being affected by GWs anti-Bitz Store policy, and the fact I've been slippig on keeping to schedule ^_^;.
The two House-Rule Contests are just something I put up to get more and varied people into the contests. They're also more intended to be good fun, with less emphasis on "hardcore paintmanship" :P

Truth be told, I'm not sure what kind of "Real" prizes we could offer for non-miniature based contests. We do have a thread for such discussion, but I think I'll merge it into this one, or maybe lock it, and keep this thread as the main discussion thread for Contests? :P

Any suggestions for new/different prizes are more than welcome from the community.

Mabbz

I think keeping this as the main discussion thread works better. People are more likely to post questions and suggestions here than start a new thread.

As for the prizes, I suppose house rules aren't exactly a core part of the hobby so it does make sense that they wouldn't get as much emphasis (although plenty of people spend more time complaining about the rules than modeling, painting and gaming nowadays ;)). I'd suggest more fitting prizes for them, but I can't think of anything. Well, except possibly having someone make a model of the winning character and sending that as a prize, but I can think of a variety of problems with that idea.

The Man They Call Jayne

Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

So do I, but some more variety would be good. Thinking up suitable prizes is hard though.

Narric

A Custom Minaiture could work if we had more Bitz Manufacturers present on forum, such as Anvil, Zinge, and Scribor. Thantos is our current Bitz Maker to talk to in that regard. But its his business/company and I doubt he wants to be dictated to about what he makes, bitz request thread aside.

Another option is if the winner is willing to pay for parts* and postage, I'd happily make the Fan-made Model myself and send it to them. Considering winners already need to pay postage on the Dice, it could work. That method however does highly depend on the disposable income of the contest winner. And whether I'm (or whomever else does it, is) trusted enough as a minature assembler :P
It works best for 40k related characters, but I'd be willing to try other game system styles ^_^

*selected by the winner

We did have a store not to long ago. A lot of Second Sphere merchandise.
Sorck/Thantos/FT, did that get lost with all the site & forum crashes?

Sorck

I don't remember ever having a store... at least not a working one.

I can't have paid any attention to the contests recently as most of these things don't sound familiar.

Narric

Quote from: Sorck on September 17, 2013, 08:29:18 PM
I don't remember ever having a store... at least not a working one.

I can't have paid any attention to the contests recently as most of these things don't sound familiar.
The store wasn't connected to the Contests really. It was a seperate thing, run by FT.

[mid-post searching]

Here it is: http://www.zazzle.co.uk/ftyross

If we can get in touch with FT to get this either up and running again or hand over to be maintained by another more active member (probably best not me :P).

I mention it, as it may be an interesting addition to potential prizes, the only trouble being cost, either for the members or the person maintaining it.

Thinking mid-post writing again, we can then do contests for Member created merch.

I think I'm rambling now....

Narric

Update for all previous Contest Winners. Seals and Comp Points have been near sorted for all Entrants. We are currently trying to work the bug out that prevents the seals from displaying on member profiles.

All Entrants from this year will find their Contest points are up to date.

There are only two people whom we have had difficulty with for rewarding Pts and Seals to. To them, we say hold tight, we do have some sort of idea what is wrong, and you will recieve your pts and seals when possible.

Hopefully we will not have to wait too long for the systems to be fully operational ^_^