News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Imperial Guard - we were expecting tanks! [1500 IG Infantry]

Started by Sorck, November 06, 2013, 06:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorck

Well I've been considering an infantry based army. It's not really going to be focussed on anti tank purely because I play in a fairly tank free gaming club - one player has a couple of dreads, one has a riptide and one has half a dozen looted wagons/trukks. None of these are too tough.

However, they do all like their elite infantry. I'm thinking of countering this using... well, lots and lots and lots of not so elite infantry.

I'm currently considering the use of conscripts... as you will see.

Army List
Primaris Psyker 70

Platoon A - PCS & 3 infantry squads with autocannons & 50 conscripts (410)
Platoon B - PCS & 3 infantry squads with autocannons & 1 infantry squad with GL & 50 conscripts (465)
Platoon C - PCS & 5 infantry squads with missile launchers & 50 conscripts (555)

Totalling 1500 points. This contains 5 missile launchers, 6 autocannons, 1 grenade launcher, 15 las pistols and 258 lasguns I believe. It also has a staggering 287 wounds protected by 5+ armour saves.

Ignoring the fact that I'll likely suffer from failed morale checks and hence run away, a lot of armies would take many turns to shoot or assault the army to pieces due to the shear number of wounds.

Looking at the list, it appears as if it may be better to remove a conscript squads in favour of some protection - a landing pad could be added in as could a pair of Lord Commissars (one replacing the Psyker). The now available 55 points could be invested in another grenade launcher unit.

I'm open for any other suggestions on how to play with lots of footslogging IG.

* My points may be slightly out as I don't have a codex in front of me... I'll try and check later.

Arguleon-veq

The problem with those wounds is that its not actually very hard to kill a whole unit in a single turn in combat, all they have to do is win the combat and run you down.

Horde Guard works on having characters with 'And They Shall Know no Fear' or at the very least Commissars in with those massive units to stop them running away in combat. Then you throw in a few Axes to do actual damage once something engages you otherwise you will end up with something like a Riptide pinning you in a fight all game.

I also dont think you have any way of really killing a Wraithknight.

Do you have any Marine models at all?

If you dont want to use Marines [it would be Space Wolves so you could get two characters in] id use this as a base;

Lord Commissar,
1x50 Conscripts,
3x40 Guard; Id go for say 3 Autocannons[or missiles], 2 Melta, 2 Axes and a Commissar with Axe in each unit,
3 PCS.

The Lord can join the Conscripts to keep them around.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Deraj

If one model has shroud, the unit has shroud, right? Take a lord commissar with a camo cloak with your conscripts and anger everyone.

As for heavy weapons, I always like just a simple mix of autocannons and lascannons, with plasma guns for special weapons, but that's just personal taste.

Kur'os

I say go for it!  I love interesting / themed / fluffy lists.

Screw what's considered a must take, and field the army you want to field.  (^-^)b

-Kur'os

Mabbz

I was considering a similar list, but with a vendetta or two for anti tank (since they show up a fair bit in my local GW). Still, my suggestion is take chenkov and put the conscripts in front of everything else. They'll die, reappear at the back of your army and everyone else can rapid fire the hell out of whatever killed them. If that doesn't work, you still have the conscripts.

Sorck

Quote from: Deraj on November 07, 2013, 01:08:59 AM
If one model has shroud, the unit has shroud, right? Take a lord commissar with a camo cloak with your conscripts and anger everyone.
That would give them quite an edge... at least for 5 point models.

Quote from: Deraj on November 07, 2013, 01:08:59 AM
As for heavy weapons, I always like just a simple mix of autocannons and lascannons, with plasma guns for special weapons, but that's just personal taste.
I would typically run 3 lascannons and 3 autocannons but that's only because they were my build order preference and seemed most useful at the time. The reasoning to move to missile launchers was so that I could maintain some blast weapons - that might be better done with grenade launchers though?

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on November 06, 2013, 08:12:44 PM
Horde Guard works on having characters with 'And They Shall Know no Fear' or at the very least Commissars in with those massive units to stop them running away in combat. Then you throw in a few Axes to do actual damage once something engages you otherwise you will end up with something like a Riptide pinning you in a fight all game.

I also dont think you have any way of really killing a Wraithknight.

Do you have any Marine models at all?
I only have BA these days. They have some potent models with ATSKNF but they are on the more costly side. I do have a SW codex though so I could always field them.

I admit that wraithknights would cause a problem for one of these lists but I've not seen any Eldar players in a few months so I don't need to think too much about them at the moment.

Quote from: Mabbz on November 07, 2013, 08:24:08 AM
I was considering a similar list, but with a vendetta or two for anti tank (since they show up a fair bit in my local GW). Still, my suggestion is take chenkov and put the conscripts in front of everything else. They'll die, reappear at the back of your army and everyone else can rapid fire the hell out of whatever killed them. If that doesn't work, you still have the conscripts.
Surely the Vendettas would get blown to pieces as they'd have all of the opposing AT firing at them at once?

I've considered the use of Straken before purely to give a couple of blob squads furious charge... :P 100 IG attacking you are S4 must insight a little bit of fear. Or at least some concern.

I'll work out a new list later/tomorrow.

Mabbz

Quote from: Sorck on November 10, 2013, 12:34:55 AM
Surely the Vendettas would get blown to pieces as they'd have all of the opposing AT firing at them at once?

I've considered the use of Straken before purely to give a couple of blob squads furious charge... :P 100 IG attacking you are S4 must insight a little bit of fear. Or at least some concern.
No one in my area takes interceptor or skyfire stuff, so they'd have to hit them on 6s. The ork lootas i sometimes face are the only thing that would be really dangerous. Of course, that's just my local meta.

If you want 100 S4 attacks on the charge, why not add a priest? All those re-rolls to hit... Of course, that's going to lose you some models.

Sorck

Once you start adding in all those conscript boosting things you may as well start using Orks surely?

Narric

Quote from: Sorck on November 11, 2013, 06:33:42 PM
Once you start adding in all those conscript boosting things you may as well start using Orks surely?
How many Orks can you get , compared to how many conscrips+Infantry Squad troops per Troops choice?

I can see for IG that the max bodycount per troops choice (ex PCS, HWS, & SWS) is 100men (50 Infantrytroopers + 50 Conscripts)

Don't Orks max out at around 30-40 per Troops?

And then for IG you have the PCS, HWS, & SWS I didn't include, making IG can easily outnumber Orks, and have superior equipment.

Sorck

Quote from: Narric on November 11, 2013, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: Sorck on November 11, 2013, 06:33:42 PM
How many Orks can you get , compared to how many conscrips+Infantry Squad troops per Troops choice?

I can see for IG that the max bodycount per troops choice (ex PCS, HWS, & SWS) is 100men (50 Infantrytroopers + 50 Conscripts)

Don't Orks max out at around 30-40 per Troops?

And then for IG you have the PCS, HWS, & SWS I didn't include, making IG can easily outnumber Orks, and have superior equipment.
IG can outnumber in slot terms but they aren't much cheaper per head.

Assuming you buy a PCS, 5 basic infantry squads and 50 conscripts then you pay 4.57 points per head. Orks are 6 points a head but have the fearless and T4 advantage. They also hit harder in CC. IG have the advantage of orders though, and flexible unit sizes. Plus the extra 30% body count helps.

I suppose I'd have to do some calculations to truly justify one over the other but IG would be relying on their orders I'd think.