News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Xenos Aegis Defence Lines?

Started by knightperson, November 18, 2013, 11:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightperson

For those of you who don't play Imperium of Man armies, what do you use for an ADL? I know it's perfectly normal, and even expected, to use the official GW one, but unless you're playing a Space Marine army it looks kinda silly. So what alternatives are available? I've seen some interesting conversions, from a kroot-themed sharpened picket wall, to improvised orcish barricades, to some Eldar-themed force fields. I was close to building one out of medium flyer bases and shield generators, with some improvised tripods and cabling to string them all together, thinking that that would be a lot more Tauish: carry a bunch of tripod-mounted shield generators to the battlefield, set 'em up, plug 'em in, and hide behind them. What I'm doing instead, however, is buying a set of these.

Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Tom

Rej showed me these a while ago:
http://www.mrdandy.com/wargamma-linked-barricades/
They aren't that great, mostly I think because they can't look too much like they actually belong to 40k. Another option to think about anyway.

The new Spartan scenics look good. Let us know how they turn out if you go with them because I'm seriously considering purchasing at least the starter set of rooms/corridors/buildings.

Waaaghpower

Personally I think the Mr. Dandy lines are fantastic. Not quite up to GW snuff, but very close. And with the right paint jobs, they fit the armies that they cough*weren't*cough designed for really well.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Mabbz

To be honest, I'm surprised GW hasn't included race specific fortifications in new codexi (to the best of my knowledge).

I'll be honest, as a tau player I prefer Mr Dandy's to the SpartanGames ones. But all things considered, I like this idea best:

Quote from: knightperson on November 18, 2013, 11:41:38 PMI was close to building one out of medium flyer bases and shield generators, with some improvised tripods and cabling to string them all together, thinking that that would be a lot more Tauish: carry a bunch of tripod-mounted shield generators to the battlefield, set 'em up, plug 'em in, and hide behind them

Kur'os

I use the GW Ork barricades and a custom battlewagon turret for my Ork ADL. 

My Necron ADL is a series of wooden pyramids from a craft store with a duel monolith turret ala Dawn of War.

I prefer to use my Remote Sensor Towers as my Tau fortification.  Not the greatest, but they work for me...

-Kur'os

knightperson

Quote from: Mabbz on November 19, 2013, 10:17:36 AM
To be honest, I'm surprised GW hasn't included race specific fortifications in new codexi (to the best of my knowledge).

I'll be honest, as a tau player I prefer Mr Dandy's to the SpartanGames ones. But all things considered, I like this idea best:

Quote from: knightperson on November 18, 2013, 11:41:38 PMI was close to building one out of medium flyer bases and shield generators, with some improvised tripods and cabling to string them all together, thinking that that would be a lot more Tauish: carry a bunch of tripod-mounted shield generators to the battlefield, set 'em up, plug 'em in, and hide behind them

Depending on how much (or how little) I like the Spartan Scenics one when it gets here, I might revisit the tripod shield generator option. Even if I love the SS, I might still make it out of sheer coolness!

Arguleon-veq

Loving both the Mr Dandy stuff and those in the original post, how much are they?
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

knightperson

No idea on the Mr Dandy stuff, but the Spartan Scenics can be ordered for 25 pounds. That probably makes them at least as expensive as the actual GW Aegis, but it's the principle of the thing!