News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

2k Tau MC list

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, December 08, 2013, 10:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

Got a 2K game on Tuesday against IG. I got beaten down pretty badly last time I played this guy, so I am deciding to be a bit meaner this time. 2000 points. 13 Models. 7 MCs.

HQ -

Commander Farsight

O'Vesa

Troops-

XV8 Crisis Suit x3
Fusion Blaster x3
Flamer x3

XV8 x2
Flamer x4

Elite-

XV104 Riptide
Ion Accelerator
TL Fusion Blaster
Counterfire Defense System

XV104 Riptide
Ion Accelerator
TL Fusion Blaster

XV104 Riptide
Ion Accelerator
TL Fusion Blaster

Heavy Support-

XV107 R'Varna
Pulse Submunition Cannons

XV107 R'Varna

XV107 R'Varna

Total 2000 points.

Thoughts? I have always wanted an all suit list, and I figured I may as well go big or go home.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Arguleon-veq

Im not sure what the heavy support guys do, isnt he a special character? so can you have 3?

The only thing Id say is that you need more troops. Just take 5x1 double flamer suits to fill out your troop choices and to give you more scoring. Always give your Riptides Intercept too.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

The Man They Call Jayne

I know the list I am facing, he has no reserves. The R'Varna is the FW Riptide variant. Its more of a stand off weapons platform. T7 6 wounds and two massive pulse submunition cannons.

The Man They Call Jayne

So. . .Total Annihilation for him and I suffered a grand total of 7 wounds, 3 of which were self inflicted thanks to Nova Reactors and 1 exploding Basilisk.

Probably wont use this list again unless someone is REALLY annoying.

BigToof

That's... quite impressive :)

Any highlights to share or was it just streams of firepower going one way?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

The Man They Call Jayne

In the first 2 turns, he opened up on a single R'Varna with everything that could reach it. 3 basilisks, 3 leman russes, and a Leman Russ Plasmacutioner, 3 autocannon and 6 heavy bolters. It caused a single unsaved wound.

Its the cluster fire rule on the R'Varnas than make them so dealt. The bigger you are, the more you get hit and by stronger hits. A guardsman takes a single S6 hit. A Basilisk takes 3 at S8.

CoffeeGrunt

I think you're learned why I will never field an R'varna under the current ruleset. I saw people speculating on ATT what a list with 3x R'Varnas and 3x Riptides would play like, but I never thought anyone would attempt to field something like that.

I'm gunna set that aside for now, as I don't like that unit at all, and I don't like SpamTide. Here's some tips:

- Counterfire Defense System on those Riptides is pretty irrelevant, as Guard will get slaughtered as is, but it simply won't drum up the needed numbers to stall their attack,

-Target Locks might work better on the Fusion Team, as then you can light up several targets with Farsight's precision Deep Strike. If your opponent has all his Tanks clumped up, this'll be nasty.

Now, onto the list as a whole. I'm just going to say it: if you brought this list to where I play, everyone in the store would refuse to play you. IT seems all you've done is try to cram as many Riptides/R'Varnas into the list as the FOC will allow. You have no Markerlights, no evident strategy, minimal Troops, no fast movement. The R'varna is known across the 40K internet to be a broken, overpowered monstrosity.

I'm going to guess that the 7 MCs stood in your Deployment Zone the whole game, while Farsight mopped up what little survived?

You'll beat him far easier with a less cheddar-choked list. Look into Longstrike Hammerheads for one. Try something other than spam, look into tactics, learn the Codex, and you'll become a better player for it.

Sorry if this comes across as snappy and harsh, but this sorta stuff is precisely the thing giving Tau players a bad name right now. It's the sort of thing I've forced myself to stop using in order to make the game fair and fun, and it's the sort of thing I would feel cheated to lose to.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

The Man They Call Jayne

Oh yeah, I know. The whole point was to see what happened with 7 MCs that wouldn't let anything close. My normal list is far more balanced than this. This was purely an excersize in how broken can I make it.

Chicop76

This is why you see more space wolf alliances.

The Man They Call Jayne

Wouldnt have made a lick of difference here.

Chicop76

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on January 09, 2014, 06:30:43 PM
Wouldnt have made a lick of difference here.

If you say so. I seen people use drop pods with them and position and spread out the unit so they get cover saves vs the intercepting Tau units, love gtg for 4 plus cover saves. Than the jaws come out and bite a few of your suits.

CoffeeGrunt

If the Tau force the Space Wolves to G2G on Interceptor before they even get to shoot, then they've already killed that squad.

Also, I believe Jaws is a template power as it draws a line. Not sure how it works with Psychic Powers, but you normally can't use Templates at all if you've G2G, as you're Snap Firing.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

The Man They Call Jayne

Jaws now counts as a Focussed Witchfire shooting attack.

Chicop76

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on January 09, 2014, 10:39:21 PM
Jaws now counts as a Focussed Witchfire shooting attack.

???

Have to check that out. It wouldn't matter against a unit of one. It matters against units with multiple models, so solo MC's would have to beware.

Gtg doesn't stop the use of psychic powers. With wolf no bs is needed and all you do is draw a line from point a to point b.

I'll double check though since witchfire may be different, but you can fire snap shots with psychic powers just can't over watch.

Unusual Suspect

If I had to guess, I'd say that ELIGIBLE psychic powers can snap fire.  Smite, relying on a BS roll, could fire Snap Shots.

Relevant Snap Shot rules:
QuoteIt's important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a Ballistic Skill - such as Necron Monolith's portal of exile - cannot be 'fired' as a Snap Shot.

No Snap Shots if you aren't rolling To Hit, basically.  Jaws does not use BS, therefore can not Snap Shot.
I you private dancer.